Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dylan Hartley thread [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options
  • 26-05-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Dylan from an ulster fan for conforming to type and allowing Rory Best to take your place on the lions squad.

Talk about taking one for the team.

I remember watching you trying to mill the head off Rory earlier this season in the HEC and wondering how Best kept his calm......probably a measure of him and an insight into you I suppose.

Anyway, thanks again Dylan.

MOD EDIT: Regardless of the OP, this thread is NOT for abusing a player. If the discussion has merit, fine, but if the thread descends a 'lets all get a kick in on this guy and not discuss rugby at all' thread then it'll get closed fairly fast. Furthermore, this has NOTHING to do with the POC incident. If you want to use it as a yard stick for citing purposes then fine, but let's not go into details, as we all know how it'll end up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Ah here. Do we have to dance on his grave?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There ain't much to appreciate about the same Dylan:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Thanks, the HC final would not have been the same without you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

durkadurka wrote: »
    Ah here. Do we have to dance on his grave?

It's a bit of fun....to be fair he danced over a few people in his time.

Anyway, Hartley, Ashton and Armitage are a few players I can think of that rub people up the wrong way so unfortunately when things go a bit pear shaped for them then some of us look on and think..."hard luck chuck!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

mfceiling wrote: »
    Thanks Dylan from an ulster fan for conforming to type and allowing Rory Best to take your place on the lions squad.

I remember watching you trying to mill the head off Rory earlier this season in the HEC and wondering how Best kept his calm......probably a measure of him and an insight into you I suppose.

Well said that man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dylan is actually a very good player and that's the most annoying thing, he doesn't have to get involved in off the ball stuff or giving the ref a hard time to influence the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Dylan is actually a very good player and that's the most annoying thing, he doesn't have to get involved in off the ball stuff or giving the ref a hard time to influence the game.

But that's the whole problem, for five or six years now, we've been saying "well, if only he could sort out his discipline..."

At what point does the balance swing to "well, he's a liability and he's not worth the hassle?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

But that's the whole problem, for five or six years now, we've been saying "well, if only he could sort out his discipline..."

At what point does the balance swing to "well, he's a liability and he's not worth the hassle?"

I'm not defending him as he brings on all this stuff by himself. It'll be interesting what happens next November with England though. Will Lancaster pick him or does he have many other options available to not pick him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I'm not defending him as he brings on all this stuff by himself. It'll be interesting what happens next November with England though. Will Lancaster pick him or does he have many other options available to not pick him.

Lancaster named Rob Webber as captain against the BaaBaas if that means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Odious man. Very pleased for Rory, mystery why he wasn't selected in the first place. Poor form in six nations yes, but that didn't stop some of last time's Lions being selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He is one of the least likeable or admirable players in the game and I am very happy that he won't be there. Around the pitch Best is his equal and a much nicer person to be around.

That said, Barnes made a dogs dinner of it yesterday; not excusing Hartley but he owes Northampton an apology for his botched instructions. I am however still enjoying the pantomine that marked the end of the first half.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

First Up wrote: »
    He is one of the least likeable or admirable players in the game and I am very happy that he won't be there. Around the pitch Best is his equal and a much nicer person to be around.

That said, Barnes made a dogs dinner of it yesterday; not excusing Hartley but he owes Northampton an apology for his botched instructions. I am however still enjoying the pantomine that marked the end of the first half.

Best is more than his equal to be fair.

His wiki page tells all.

Biting, gouging, punching and abuse of a referee....hardly a man you'd want in the trenches with you.

awec wrote: »
    Best is more than his equal to be fair.

Best might well have got the original nod were it not for his tendency to blow lineouts. He was good yesterday though - main man for Ulster I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Think this is a tad unnecessary, the guy did what he did and got the rightful punishment. Best is where he belongs on the tour and Hartley by his own fault is out. Dont think anything else needs to be said he got punished.
    I think if there's gonna be a hate page it should be for Delon Armitage. Has done equally nasty things and taunted a fellow pro in a major final. He gets no punishment for being an arrogant aggressive c**k

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Lancaster has said that Hartley will have to earn his trust again (ESPN's wording). I'm guessing that means Lancaster will plump for a different number tw hooker in the Autumn and see how it goes from there.

Or at least, so I hope. I really don't rate Hartley in the slightest. For a long time the question has been "Who else" but there's been quite a few other guys who've had some England time and looked alright recently. If Mike Haywood could keep fit I think Hartley might be lucky to start for his club, nevermind his country...

But they have been a threesome - Hartley, Ashton and Armitage. I give Lancaster credit for changing the ethos around the English when.. squad. They seemed a nicer bunch.,

Yeah this is a **** thread and is about kicking a guy when you've gotten a chance.

Yeah this is a **** thread and is about kicking a guy when you've gotten a chance.

Hartley normally bites, gouges or punches when he gets a chance.

Well the three I mentioned have made a point of being as arrogant and obnoxious as possible for quite a while so it is hardly a surprise Hartley isn't get much sympathy.

• Advertisement

Hartley normally bites, gouges or punches when he gets a chance.

Do 2 wrongs make a right?

Do 2 wrongs make a right?

To which two "wrongs" do you refer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

His instructions are very clear. "you can't kick it out" "play must restart" "you can't kick it out". He's a full time professional he should know the laws.

Move on its been dealt with in a way everyone is happy with no need to keep it going.
    A lot of people weren't so keen to talk about the o Connell incident even though that had far more talking points and was less straight forward.
    This seems to be picking and choosing, and is nothing but a page to talk about how much we all hate Dylan Hartley and how we're delighted he's missing the biggest chance of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

His wiki page tells all.

Biting, gouging, punching and abuse of a referee....hardly a man you'd want in the trenches with you.

He was going to be made captain of England, and is captain of Northampton. I think he probably is. You don't become captain of a team unless all of your team-mates respect you.

His instructions are very clear. "you can't kick it out" "play must restart" "you can't kick it out". He's a full time professional he should know the laws.

I think the Northampton guy heard don't kick it out directly, which he interpreted as "don't kick it out on the full". Barnes could have been more precise.

Barnes used the word can't which with 82,000 in Twickenham can easily be mistaken for can especially with barnes' English accent. Needed to be more clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I think the Northampton guy heard don't kick it out directly, which he interpreted as "don't kick it out on the full". Barnes could have been more precise.

Barnes had already told Myler the law clearly and concisely,do you want Barnes to take the bloody kick for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You mean the guy who is paid to play rugby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I struggle to not agree with this sentiment. I think there is a measure of justice in his indiscipline depriving him of his lions tour.

Advertisement