Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communions/confirmations, utter farce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

number10a wrote: »
    I thought the same thing too, but the Church has cunning ways around everything.

They do this in Poland. You get your confirmation around 17/18. You'd think that would knock a huge amount off the numbers, but it doesn't. And there's no big money gifts in the equation either to sway anyone to go ahead with it. The kids get told that without their confirmation, they cannot get married in a church when the time comes. When you have so many young girls who dream about their big day in a beautiful building, they all sign up for it. Then you have all the teenage boys terrified of the wrath of a scorned woman 8 to 10 years down the line and they all sign up too.

My Polish boyfriend went through with it for this very reason, even though he was trying to figure out his sexuality at the time. But he did it just in case anyway. Turned out he didn't need to do it at all now that he's ended up being shacked up with a dirty atheist homo like myself. :D

I think it is the same in Ireland , no confirmation equals no marriage

• Moderators Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

marienbad wrote: »
    I think it is the same in Ireland , no confirmation equals no marriage

Yep. Have a letter from the parish I was baptised in that states that baptism and confirmation are required before you can be married.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

Until I had a child I never, ever could have guessed just how strongly people think they have the right to criticize, comment and/or condemn such intimate and important pateral decisions as that child's religious upbringing.

The worst one was; sure, why not get her christened and she can decide later if she wants to believe in it or not. Really? Stand up in a church and declare that a) I am a Catholic and b) I agree to raise my daughter as a Catholic even though a) I am not and b) I have no intentions of doing this?

I happen to disagree with the act of christening a child only for that child to never see the inside of a church again until they make their communion. But I wouldn't express that opinion to any parent who does do this. Why not? Because it's absoloutely none of my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I happen to disagree with the act of christening a child only for that child to never see the inside of a church again until they make their communion. But I wouldn't express that opinion to any parent who does do this. Why not? Because it's absoloutely none of my business.

Well when we decided not to christen or subsequently 'communion' our children, we got lots and lots of people questioning, commenting and judging. Maybe that's why non practicing Catholics feel compelled to remain inside the fold/cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

koth wrote: »
    Yep. Have a letter from the parish I was baptised in that states that baptism and confirmation are required before you can be married.

I thought it was only baptism needed? Googling it came up with a mix of answers were some saying you need to have done your confirmation while others dont. Although the yes side was filled with the crazys talking about how a marriage is between 3 people (man, woman and Christ. not sure why they are against gay people getting married now) so I am doubting them.

Mum told me I was baptised so that I would be able to marry a catholic. Otherwise I'm going to be annoyed she signed me up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Cherry picking and hypocrisy is the way to go. Following it for real is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Although the yes side was filled with the crazys talking about how a marriage is between 3 people (man, woman and Christ. not sure why they are against gay people getting married now) .

Slightly OT.
    Marriage is first and foremost about both husband and wife committing themselves to God. (Then wife submitting to husband.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    Slightly OT.
    Marriage is first and foremost about both husband and wife committing themselves to God. (Then wife submitting to husband.)

So marriage is God plus man plus indentured housekeeper/incubator.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

number10a wrote: »
    My Polish boyfriend went through with it for this very reason, even though he was trying to figure out his sexuality at the time. But he did it just in case anyway. Turned out he didn't need to do it at all now that he's ended up being shacked up with a dirty atheist homo like myself. :D

You are in good company.

165033_10151352899445155_1724580789_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The ultimate proof of the insidious liberal gay atheist agenda.... Uncertain on how it relates to the topic though... :pac:

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The ultimate proof of the insidious liberal gay atheist agenda.... Uncertain on how it relates to the topic though... :pac:

Turing didn't make his communion?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mum told me I was baptised so that I would be able to marry a catholic.

So it didn't occur to her that you could easily do that yourself as an adult if you wanted?
    I think she might be fibbing a little.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Lovely occassion last sunday.
    Was having my brunch around 1pm on Main Street in Kinsale when the Corpus Christi procession came past.
    Led by 25 kids in the last wear of their communion outfits.
    Followed by a few priests and brothers and the kids parents.
    Lots/some houses had yellow and white (Vatican City colours) flags and bunting out.
    Some locals even had small statues of Ms. Mary Christ, her eldest son Jesus and some distant relation - a child from Prague, displayed outside the doorways of houses and business premises.

Catholics and their offspring, the "cultural catholics", love a day out it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

koth wrote: »
    i know of a few parishes where the priest will not marry you unless he actually recognises you, let alone a baptism or confirmation cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lovely occassion last sunday.
    Was having my brunch around 1pm on Main Street in Kinsale when the Corpus Christi procession came past.
    Led by 25 kids in the last wear of their communion outfits.
    Followed by a few priests and brothers and the kids parents.
    Lots/some houses had yellow and white (Vatican City colours) flags and bunting out.
    Some locals even had small statues of Ms. Mary Christ, her eldest son Jesus and some distant relation - a child from Prague, displayed outside the doorways of houses and business premises.

Catholics and their offspring, the "cultural catholics", love a day out it seems.

Jaysus, they still do Corpus Christi? I remember being dragged around the neighbourhood as a wee girl, yellow and white bunting everywhere. I didn't know that there still were Corpus Christi parades on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is that what those flags are for? Saw the church decked out this weekend alright. What's it in aid of?

lazygal wrote: »
    Is that what those flags are for? Saw the church decked out this weekend alright. What's it in aid of?[QUOTE]

Recruitment/collecting money/recruitment/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is that what those flags are for? Saw the church decked out this weekend alright. What's it in aid of?[QUOTE]

Same old, same old, then.

Is that what those flags are for? Saw the church decked out this weekend alright. What's it in aid of?

Transubstantiation.

• Advertisement

Correct

In the dark ages, when Papacy held control of men's consciences and few dared to think, one method which she practiced to supply herself with money was the sale of indulgences. The indulgence was a permission to sin and yet be free from its consequences.

It first consisted in the forgiveness of sins and remission of the penalty to all who would fight the church's battles-- holy wars.

Heretics included all classes of Christians who differed from and did not support Papacy. Infidels were those who disbelieved in Christianity.

Against these she waged her wars, and those who engaged in them and died in battle were sure of heaven, no matter what their previous course of life had been. This cancellation of sins was offered on account, not of repentance and faith in the ransom, but for what they termed the "good work" of slaughtering the church's enemies in the crusades, etc. Thus indulgences got under headway.

“When a penny in the coffer rings, / A soul from Purgatory springs.” Aristotle was right: every “system,” natural or man-made, moves inexorably toward corruption, degeneration, and death.

"If the Church has the resources to wipe out everyone’s temporal penalties, why doesn’t it do so?"

Because God does not wish this to be done. God himself instituted the pattern of temporal penalties being left behind. They fulfill valid functions, one of them disciplinary. If a child were never disciplined, he would never learn obedience. God disciplines us as his children — "the Lord disciplines him whom he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives" (Heb. 12:6) — so some temporal penalties must remain.

Read this is you want to laugh

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/myths-about-indulgences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Isn't religion just fascinating. Especially the history of religion.
    Life would be a boring place if man hadn't felt the need to invent religion.
    I could read about it all day despite how nutty it all seems now in the information age.

Believers, you're living the dream!

:D

PS. Can you get indulgences in Argos?

Birroc wrote: »

:D

PS. Can you get indulgences in Argos?

Don't think so but you can get pre-signed Mass cards in my local shop which is kinda the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

kylith wrote: »
    Jaysus, they still do Corpus Christi?

There's a big stand for it just gone up in Cork where Grand Parade meets Patrick St.

It blocks access to a pedestrian crossing. Gotta be a health and safety issue there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

In the dark ages, when Papacy held control of men's consciences and few dared to think, one method which she practiced to supply herself with money was the sale of indulgences. The indulgence was a permission to sin and yet be free from its consequences.

It first consisted in the forgiveness of sins and remission of the penalty to all who would fight the church's battles-- holy wars.

Heretics included all classes of Christians who differed from and did not support Papacy. Infidels were those who disbelieved in Christianity.

Against these she waged her wars, and those who engaged in them and died in battle were sure of heaven, no matter what their previous course of life had been. This cancellation of sins was offered on account, not of repentance and faith in the ransom, but for what they termed the "good work" of slaughtering the church's enemies in the crusades, etc. Thus indulgences got under headway.

If ever there was a contradiction in terms, it's calling those Patriarchal F*ckers the Papacy a "SHE". :mad::mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sarky wrote: »
    There's a big stand for it just gone up in Cork where Grand Parade meets Patrick St.
    Is this an annual thing? Like I said, I remember being forced to march around about 25 years ago, but I had no idea Corpus Christi was still celebrated. I'm wondering if it's something which has re-started since the current Religious Vs Non Religious atmosphere atmosphere came into being with the abortion debate.

kylith wrote: »
    Is this an annual thing? Like I said, I remember being forced to march around about 25 years ago, but I had no idea Corpus Christi was still celebrated. I'm wondering if it's something which has re-started since the current Religious Vs Non Religious atmosphere atmosphere came into being with the abortion debate.

I think so, but I'm not certain. I tend to avoid the streets during the summer, as they tend to fill up with crazies.

Sarky wrote: »
    I think so, but I'm not certain. I tend to avoid the streets during the summer, as they tend to fill up with crazies.

Annual thing. Came as a great shock to me that it was still going on when I came back from the UK in 1993 ....and Oz in 2001.

Nearly got arrested in my misspent youth for sitting on the bishop's chair on that big platform in Daunt's Sq at 1 a.m. ... the Guard was a bit hesitant as a) I was stone cold sober and b) I had an accent that promised a world of expensive lawyers and law suits in his immediate future.

I was annoyed that the platform covered the public benches and I was breaking in a new pair of Docs so my feet were killing me and needed to bloody well sit down so I thought sod the f'ing bishop. :mad:

• Advertisement

It would be tempting to hang out between McDonald's and the Woodford just behind the stand, making an almighty blasphemous racket during the procession, don't you think..?

Advertisement