Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communions/confirmations, utter farce?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 45 shes_crazy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Death: How has the church defeated death? Noah and his many buddies of the Old Testament routinely lived to over 900 years of age. Since Christianity arrived, the record is about 120-130 years.

Sigh.

Jernal wrote: »
    She's Crazy. Your opinion is welcome here; direct personal comments on another poster aren't. Please don't do it any more. Otherwise you may find yourself taking a holiday.
    Thanks,

oldnwsr is a big boy I'm sure. I see the "intellectual lightweight" remark was particularly offensive to him

Anyway, there appears to be a lot of childishness on here.

Thank you for your kind welcome. However, the game that bully-boy boards.ie atheists like to play is not something this Christian wants to be a part of.

Cheerio,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

shes_crazy wrote: »
    Sigh.

Anything to say about the slavery perpetrated by the RCC in the Magdalen Laundries?

Anything to say about the slavery perpetrated by the RCC in the Magdalen Laundries?

Care to comment on the State's failure to inspect taxpayer-funded creches?

oldnwsr is a big boy I'm sure. I see the "intellectual lightweight" remark was particularly offensive to him

Anyway, there appears to be a lot of childishness on here.

Thank you for your kind welcome. However, the game that bully-boy boards.ie atheists like to play is not something this Christian wants to be a part of.

Cheerio,

I guess that means...

...run away!

• Advertisement

Care to comment on the State's failure to inspect taxpayer-funded creches?

I'm sure you'll claim, without a hint of irony, that this is a catholic country.

I'm sure you'll claim, without a hint of irony, that this is a catholic country.

I'd sooner place my child in the care of the nuns than of someone on €8.65 an hour who spends all day on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Revisionist twaddle. I suppose you're a Colosseum-denier too? One is left wondering what else you deny...

Why would I deny the Coliseum ? I feel no responsibility for what went on there.

As as for your veiled reference to other events- that is a more applicable to your crowd is it not ? Pope Pius xii for example .

Now care to enlighten us on how you defeated slavery ? And while you are at it you might explain how St.Paul's views fit in with that theory.

I'd sooner place my child in the care of the nuns than of someone on €8.65 an hour who spends all day on Facebook.

You wouldn't object to them being used to operate the laundry?

And maybe sold on to a "deserving couple" later?

marienbad wrote: »
    Why would I deny the Coliseum ? I feel no responsibility for what went on there.

Unless of course you're trying to justify homosexuality and man-boy love relations by citing ancient Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,752 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yes, because who can pass up child abuse on the cheap:rolleyes:

All my aunts and uncles that have experience in schools run by the nuns have nothing but horror stories of the beatings they received.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    Yes, because who can pass up child abuse on the cheap:rolleyes:

Oh so abuse (so long as it's funded by the State) is ok then?

Do you accept that both State and Church abuse is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

shes_crazy off on holidays for at least one week. (Probably not the sunny kind.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Unless of course you're trying to justify homosexuality and man-boy love relations by citing ancient Rome.

You are the one citing Rome my dear.

Now care to enlighten me on St.Paul and slavery and the part he played in that great crusade to abolish it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I like it when people have appropriate usernames!

I was of course referring to oldrnwsr! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I was of course referring to oldrnwsr! ;)

* innocent face *

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Awww I missed all the fun :mad:

Teach me to go have a zen gravel raking moment.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Yeah, the banhammer was brought out a trifle early. We could have just a bit more fun. We've been so good this week and all...

/sulks

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I missed it too! I have a habit of coming in immediately after the party has been ended. I'm glad I'm not Jernal's teenage daughter! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I keep forgetting you guys are longing for pets to feed and keep warm. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Jernal wrote: »
    shes_crazy off on holidays for at least one week. (Probably not the sunny kind.)

What are the odds she'll make it to 100 posts or will she quit before then? I actually thought she wouldn't get to 50 but she's a glutton for punishment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Didn't even make 50 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fairly sure that was a re-reg of a well known thespian themed troll who was sitebanned before.
    The style of argument is very similar.

Troll: "Catholicism defeated slavery"
    Poster: "Didn't they run the Magdelene Laundaries?"
    Troll: "Hey look over there other people are doing bad things!"

*Troll then personally abuses a regular poster before sauntering off with claims of bullying.

There must be a manual or something. The pattern is very familiar.

Galvasean wrote: »
    There must be a manual or something. The pattern is very familiar.

Check printers near the Iona Institute to see if they've produced stuff of that nature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

The fact is that Christianity is culturally superior to anything that atheism has ever produced.

This cultural superiority did not come about by accident.

It is based on a set of core Truths

There you will see how Christianity successfully defeated slavery, debauchery and death of old and brought about order, structure and beauty.

Brilliant.

I don't think I have ever seen such a delusional reply.

This is worthy of sarah palin

"Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant -- they're quite clear -- that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the Ten Commandments."
    –-Sarah Palin, arguing that Judeo-Christian belief was the basis for American

"All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads

"'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'" --a Tweet sent by Sarah Palin

"But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies." --Sarah Palin, after being asked how she would handle the current hostilities

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Galvasean wrote: »
    Fairly sure that was a re-reg of a well known thespian themed troll who was sitebanned before.
    The style of argument is very similar.

There was a complete lack of reference to the male anus however.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ninja900 wrote: »
    There was a complete lack of reference to the male anus however.

Check out the posts in After Hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was wondering which bitter Catholic that would turn out to be. Normally I'd be sorry I missed all the fun, but I was at a combined hen/stag for two friends who are getting married in a very cynical and irreverent manner, and the amount of debauchery, kazoo solos of heavy metal songs, booze and my rekindled passionate relationship with pipe tobacco just pisses all over an anal-obsessed embittered shell of a human being...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think it matters when you make communion, but confirmation definitely shouldn't be until you're 18. You're confirming that you will continue to be a christian for the rest of your life, and that the promises your parents made for you at your baptism, you will continue with yourself. That's basically what the ceremony is. I was 11 when I made my confirmation. Not even nearly 12, about 11 and 3 months. I made that decision because I was told I was making that decision.

It's complete horsesh*t that that takes place at such a young age. Like others, my confirmation was merely how I earned money for a Playstation. That was all I was thinking of.

If confirmation didn't happen until you were 18 and there was no big ceremony about it, many people wouldn't bother with it.

I thought the same thing too, but the Church has cunning ways around everything.

They do this in Poland. You get your confirmation around 17/18. You'd think that would knock a huge amount off the numbers, but it doesn't. And there's no big money gifts in the equation either to sway anyone to go ahead with it. The kids get told that without their confirmation, they cannot get married in a church when the time comes. When you have so many young girls who dream about their big day in a beautiful building, they all sign up for it. Then you have all the teenage boys terrified of the wrath of a scorned woman 8 to 10 years down the line and they all sign up too.

My Polish boyfriend went through with it for this very reason, even though he was trying to figure out his sexuality at the time. But he did it just in case anyway. Turned out he didn't need to do it at all now that he's ended up being shacked up with a dirty atheist homo like myself. :D

Advertisement