Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Has John Cummins been affected by his trip to the High Court about Twitter comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

John Cummins playing dirty by blocking one of Keith Nolans pictures at the top of Cherrymount by placing a CUMMINS sign over where it says Keith Nolan Vote no.1 ........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    Has John Cummins been affected by his trip to the High Court about Twitter comments?

I wouldn't think so seeing as I don't think the contents of the original tweets is widely known. I know I certainly don't know what they were and Googling can only bring you so far when there's an injunction in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

ForzaKid wrote: »
    Heard a rumour Mr.Halligan was using the governments money to send people literature about Sean Reinhardt, Anyone else hear something similar?

When did he join FG/LAB? Surely such a move would have been in the news

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Facts

Heard a rumour Mr.Halligan was using the governments money to send people literature about Sean Reinhardt, Anyone else hear something similar?

This is not a rumour, this is true, Deputy Halligan has sent a few hundred letters on behalf of Sean Rheinhardt to outlying and new areas of Waterford City South. This is in clear breech of Oireachtas and Standard in Public Office rules. I was only speaking to someone who received one and she intends lodging a complaint against him. He will have to account for his use of Oireachtas envelopes (paid by us the taxpayer) and refund the money. Will he come out and hold his hands up, we'll see

• Advertisement

That is a nice diversion tactic away from wrongdoing on behalf of Deputy Halligan, well played! As for John, i mean John Cummins, I have great respect for the lad. I think he has done an excellent job as mayor, I've been at a few events where he has spoken and have been impressed by him - probably our best hope of minister in the years ahead and I think he'll be elected despite the party he's standing for. As for twitter I remember reading something in the paper but I don't remember the details, certainly won't have any bearing on election I would think.

John Cummins playing dirty by blocking one of Keith Nolans pictures at the top of Cherrymount by placing a CUMMINS sign over where it says Keith Nolan Vote no.1 ........
    It's only when you Google their two names together that it begins to make sense...

Facts wrote: »
    This is not a rumour, this is true, Deputy Halligan has sent a few hundred letters on behalf of Sean Rheinhardt to outlying and new areas of Waterford City South. This is in clear breech of Oireachtas and Standard in Public Office rules. I was only speaking to someone who received one and she intends lodging a complaint against him. He will have to account for his use of Oireachtas envelopes (paid by us the taxpayer) and refund the money. Will he come out and hold his hands up, we'll see

Thank you for confirming this.

No problem at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

That's seriously bad form. Independent candidates must have a tough enough time as it is, trying to compete with party candidates in terms of posters and leaflets.

• Advertisement

No problem at all!!

I have no allegiance to John Halligan but I would need more than one person saying they spoke to someone who received one before I'd count it as confirmed. Not saying it didn't happen but I'd like to see the literature and the envelope it came in to prove the allegations.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I have no allegiance to John Halligan but I would need more than one person saying they spoke to someone who received one before I'd count it as confirmed. Not saying it didn't happen but I'd like to see the literature and the envelope it came in to prove the allegations.

Seeing is believing after all, was told a certain news reporter for a local paper was informed and was going to do an article on it.

If Halligan is found guilty of this allegation then he will have to pay back all the costs out of his own pocket, only fair after all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye well Claire Daily used the envelopes for election purposes herself. Was found out and is paying at back. Says it was mistake. One would assume if the electorate know about the basic rules of use of envelopes, our TDs would too.

I've seen some very borderline use of these letters in the past, from parties and politicians of all shapes and sizes.

I remember a recent mail blast using official envelopes that was an advert for another colleague running in a separate election. I haven't looked at the actual rules for quite some time, but I'm sure it's wide open to interpretation and what one person thinks is completely against the rules, others would think is fine. And people will always try and push the envelope to see what they can get away with.

I do think that politicians and parties could save themselves from a lot of embarrassment by simply confirming with an Oireachtas official whether their proposed use is likely to be in breach of the guidelines or not. That way they can at least say that they consulted with someone else beforehand.

I see that Paudie Coffey was within touching distance of becoming the FG Chairman, only to have the rug pulled out from under him at the last moment.

I see that Paudie Coffey was within touching distance of becoming the FG Chairman, only to have the rug pulled out from under him at the last moment.

Were the results of the ballot made public? Coffey was the favourite for it alright and apparently Kenny's people were canvassing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

jaysus that would have gone down well. "hi im paudie coffey chairman of the bunch of ***** party"

did he welcome the decision ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

Anyone know who John Walsh Independent is, running for Waterford East? Says he's a Direct Marketing Consultant on the list of candidates. Can't find anything about him online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

foobally wrote: »
    Anyone know who John Walsh Independent is, running for Waterford East? Says he's a Direct Marketing Consultant on the list of candidates. Can't find anything about him online.

Page 6 of this weeks waterford today John has one of the election photo adds that some candidates have, says in the photo it says he is running under a new party (the just society alliance) banner, can,t find anything about them on google, small about him section under the photo in waterford today he states he supported fine gael in various elections but can no longer do so due to pro life broken promises, spotted a few of his posters on the cork road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If i'm not mistaken, that's the chap whose son was in the plane crash in Cork. He would have canvassed for FG until the abortion issue.

He used to run the FG tally in the count centre too.

I genuinely think "Direct Marketing Consultant" is code for "sticking pro-life rubbish in your letterbox". He would have been part of the sick and twisted groups of people that used to protest at people's homes in the 90s if they were known to have had an abortion abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A member of the God party

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He used to run the FG tally in the count centre too.

I genuinely think "Direct Marketing Consultant" is code for "sticking pro-life rubbish in your letterbox". He would have been part of the sick and twisted groups of people that used to protest at people's homes in the 90s if they were known to have had an abortion abroad.

Curious if he had any links to this "lovely" crowd,

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/prolife-mob-threatened-to-cut-tds-throat-29342412.html

The sick and twisted groups haven't gone away,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NoseyParker14

I hardly think he climbed up onto a ladder out of the hundreds of posters around the town to specifically do that! Wind and rain last week half the posters wer turned the wrong way and all! Could of been a political set up by which ever independent too?

joni1 wrote: »
    That's seriously bad form. Independent candidates must have a tough enough time as it is, trying to compete with party candidates in terms of posters and leaflets.

Party candidates also have to pay for their posters. A friend of a friend works for a printing company in Dublin and has received personal account cheques for different parties. I was shocked myself when I heard it.

hi john

I hardly think he climbed up onto a ladder out of the hundreds of posters around the town to specifically do that! Wind and rain last week half the posters wer turned the wrong way and all! Could of been a political set up by which ever independent too?

Not having that, it is clearly zip-tied over the poster that was there before him, and all it says is Cummins, why was it put up I don't know. Maybe the mayors scared he won't be re-elected and become the TD like he told the residents in Larchville that he strives to be, despite the fact that the meeting was to outline the reasons they should vote for him and what he would do for the community. I reckon he might have a sore foot after that one.

I love election time for comments like this! The last week in and the panic sets in with wild remarks, accusations and mud flying!

Head down the ring road and you will see a lot of posters slipped ontop of others. Across the country numerous posters have fallen over, are hanging over or have done a complete 360 despite the ties as tight as they can be and another candidate facing the original direction. One doesn't jump to a mad conclusion that it was deliberate by a candidate, for many reasons but the most obvious is the way it may look and what people would think and say. So sorry folks, this is clearly a case of the weather taking it's toll. Ties can be very tight and it will still move. No conspiracy to block a candidates name but still show his picture. Which in itself makes absolutely no sense to do.

As for the other nonsense spouted - candidates pay for ALL their printing and posters. Regardless of party. No subsidy. So it's an even playing field. Some candidates from major parties got their leaflets and / or posters done in Waterford and paid the same as anybody else. WLR retracted this allegation made on their future bulletins.

Focus on canvassing and meeting the voters, no need to drum up publicity with false and daft accusations.

• Advertisement

nice_very wrote: »
    hi john

Living in a council house with 5 kids far from John Cummins am I. I'll be voting for a candidate who's done the most for me my family and my area and while John has done his bit it's actually not him I'll be voting for.

Advertisement