Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

Living in a council house with 5 kids far from John Cummins am I. I'll be voting for a candidate who's done the most for me my family and my area and while John has done his bit it's actually not him I'll be voting for.

Who has helped you the most then? Not many have helped people in my area too but one Woman who has done trojan work is Breda Brennan. All the rest seem to care is about votes next Friday but this lady just wants to help and set things right for the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

Not sure if this is allowed, but I compiled a list of all the candidates in Waterford and background info if I could find it on my blog: Waterford Inquirer. I only post it cause I saw a few people looking for such a list, they and others might find it useful. Has links to Facebooks and stuff if they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NoseyParker14

ForzaKid wrote: »
    Who has helped you the most then? Not many have helped people in my area too but one Woman who has done trojan work is Breda Brennan. All the rest seem to care is about votes next Friday but this lady just wants to help and set things right for the community.

This isn't about who I am going to vote for. I'm not going to advertise any one person. I think each individual person should look at each candidate for what they are. Everyone of them loves their city and wants to make a difference in their own way. There is a few new candidates in every area both independents and party associated ones that deserve a vote too. It's just something that's bothered me for years how nasty local politics can get at times and people forget the matter at hand. It's local it's about you and your family and your neighbours and local issues your city and your area. So I'm looking at what has been done and by who and what needs to be done going forward. I would be new to this to be honest and not the type to takes sides or fight. Just an opinion at the end of the day I don't no facts or figures. But like everyone I just want the best out of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

This isn't about who I am going to vote for. I'm not going to advertise any one person. I think each individual person should look at each candidate for what they are. Everyone of them loves their city and wants to make a difference in their own way. There is a few new candidates in every area both independents and party associated ones that deserve a vote too. It's just something that's bothered me for years how nasty local politics can get at times and people forget the matter at hand. It's local it's about you and your family and your neighbours and local issues your city and your area. So I'm looking at what has been done and by who and what needs to be done going forward. I would be new to this to be honest and not the type to takes sides or fight. Just an opinion at the end of the day I don't no facts or figures. But like everyone I just want the best out of it all.

one of the better posts I have to say - if you are not a party hack do your research and vote for whoever best matches your expectations for the coming 5 years. Past behaviour is an indicator of future performance - then again there are new people to take a punt on but with little to go on - the past has shown that those that promise don't deliver - so thats not a good yardstick. Ideally we need a mix of ideas, youth and gender - that means voting across party and none. Local government is so devoid of any significant powers none of this is life or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

ForzaKid wrote: »

That's because she is your mother....... keep up the good work Luke in stirring the ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

Gardner wrote: »
    That's because she is your mother....... keep up the good work Luke in stirring the ****

My name is Shane, who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭deeks

Lads,

Does anyone know where I could source a list of which councillors voted for / against the merger of the city and county councils?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

Waterford city west -tramore

I will be giving blaise hannigan my number 1
    He seems to have done the most and if elected will continue to proven track record

Europe
    I will give my number 1 to grace o sullivan

Also i hear there is a lot of bad tactics being used by candidates while canvasing in tramore

Any views on the outcome of tramore ?
    I can see blaise and maybe joe conway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I'll be voting joe kelly no.1 joe conway no.2 and blaise hannigan no,3.
    Still undecided on Europe, most likely O'Sullivan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Why is it impossible to find a list full list of candidates standing in the local elections anywhere on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Beeker wrote: »
    Why is it impossible to find a list full list of candidates standing in the local elections anywhere on the internet?

Well, it's been posted twice already in this very thread.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Beeker wrote: »

Here you go - http://waterfordinquirer.wordpress.com/category/waterford-2/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore voters need to look out for their own, IMO, and vote for a candidate with a strong track record and experience in the field of being a councillor. It's important Tramore has strong representation on the council of a councillor who knows what can and can't be done, who to contact and how to get work done. Tramore needs strong representation to ensure we are not forgotten. The merger can benefit Tramore if we get the right people elected.

For me, i'll be voting O'Sullivan, Quinlan and Conway. Worked with Lola & Joe, found them excellent. Quinlan is highly regarded from what I heard on the canvass, and I know he has represented Waterford well over his years and his role at Association of County & City Councils was an important one IMO.

Europe wise, I am between Simon Harris and Sean Kelly for the first preference. Simon really impressed me since being elected to the Dail, and his performances across all debates have been excellent. Grace O'Sullivan will be getting a vote too,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Sully wrote: »

For me, i'll be voting O'Sullivan, Quinlan and Conway.

I presume that's Hilary? Sure won't he be too busy spending all the money he is getting for being on the board of Uisce Ireland??

nice_very wrote: »
    I presume that's Hilary? Sure won't he be too busy spending all the money he is getting for being on the board of Uisce Ireland??

He is the council representation, to the best of my knowledge, as the head of the Association of County & City Councils. Seems a bit disingenuous to suggest someone who sits on a board / committee (the vast majority of our elected representatives) can't be a councillor or wouldn't do a good job. Representing his constituents for a long time now and has generally got the first seat each time.

Just my thoughts, I don't know the chap personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I doubt the poster would say the same about the past members of the CRC, its not all a gravy train there are serious responsibilities and potential down sides being on any board,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Im going to vote for Eddie Mulligan

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KatKK

Anyone have any idea on how Jenna Keane will do?

KatKK wrote: »

Dont see her have even a slight chance i can see her family and friends been her only votes

Theres tough competition and stronger candidates it will be hard for any of the waterford runners to get tramore votes and vice versa for tramore runners

Saying that i hope at least we get 2 seats from tramore runners
    Blaise hannigan
    Joe conway
    And i can see the other 4 go to waterford runners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

KatKK wrote: »

no idea, she is not in my area, not many know much about her. I do believe in giving youth a chance though as the old codgers on the at the moment dont seem to know their a from their e. i will be voting for people who know what running a business is like, rates, etc.

GET OUT AND VOTE ALL.

Read a good thing today, even if there is someone you really hope doesnt get in, go in there and exercise your vote by putting last number on him and work backwards on the list to lastly number one or as some would call it the least worst person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Max Powers wrote: »
    no idea, she is not in my area, not many know much about her. I do believe in giving youth a chance though as the old codgers on the at the moment dont seem to know their a from their e. i will be voting for people who know what running a business is like, rates, etc.

GET OUT AND VOTE ALL.

Read a good thing today, even if there is someone you really hope doesnt get in, go in there and exercise your vote by putting last number on him and work backwards on the list to lastly number one or as some would call it the least worst person.

But you dont have to vote for everyone so why put a number beside them at all?

Anyone have any idea of the percentage of voters that turned up in tramore iv heard some polling stations didnt even reach 30 percent turn out by 6pm hav nt heard anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Hijpo wrote: »
    But you dont have to vote for everyone so why put a number beside them at all?

You can make your vote work against them by putting everyone else ahead of them.

GaelMise wrote: »
    You can make your vote work against them by putting everyone else ahead of them.

You'll have to explain that tome.
    Surely not getting any vote is worse than getting 8th preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Hijpo wrote: »
    You'll have to explain that tome.
    Surely not getting any vote is worse than getting 8th preference?

Nope, if you only give 1, 2, and 3, and leave everyone else out. Then your least favourite preference is equally on nothing with everyone else that did not get any preference.

However if you list one to eight, putting your least favourite at eight (assuming there are eight candidates), then everyone else could potentially get some benefit from that vote ahead of your least favourite choice, pushing your least favourite behind everyone else in terms of potential benefit from your vote, instead of them equally getting no benefit with everyone else.
    I.e. you give everyone else a slight potential benefit to bring them a little bit ahead of your least favourite choice.

So not only can you give the maximum possible benefit to your first preference, but you can also use your vote to give everyone else some potential benefit to push your least favourite to the back.
    Also the person you put last cannot possibly gain any benefit from being put as the last preference, it is essentially the same as going one to 7 and giving your least favourite nothing.

Usually you only do this if there is someone on the ballot that you activly dislike.

That sounds like people who would vote using that methodology would only vote because they had a vendetta against one candidate rather than voting in who they thought deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If anyone's interested I'll be giving updates from the count centre when I can. Twitter handle is nkay1985. I might throw the odd bit up here too.

Separation of votes starts now. I'll be there in just over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I might head down and say hi Niall. Best of luck to your Dad!

Any news yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    I might head down and say hi Niall. Best of luck to your Dad!

Thanks Adam. Going to be later than I thought getting down there though.

Seemingly the tallies are a mess. Don't know why but David Cullinane and Darren Skelton both said the same thing.

Advertisement