Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

all they have to do now to equal them is bankrupt the country:rolleyes::rolleyes:

im no fan of this government...but jesus all you have to do to remember fianna fail is think of the the two ministers coming out and saying their not going to the IMF...and the descision made already....liars and corrupt liars at that is all they are

feather they're own nest..that all they are interested in..whether it be the blue shirts/fianna fail bla bla..a total cull is whats needed..get these vermin out and the ridiculous wages they pocket aswell.

they would sicken the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Hello Liz
    fancy taking on Waterford voters in your own back yard ?
    If you reply i'll start a debate tomorrow
    Scaldy

To begin with...why is it that you are not easily accessible by e mail ?
    I tried to contact you earlier but either had to sign up to Fianna Fail or Facebook.....and i just didn't want to give over my life story in order to contact my potential local TD.....What's you opinion on this to be going on with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I went on to her Facebook page and found her email on a couple of campaign posters and an email on a poster about her launch night. You don't need to sign up to Facebook to access her FB page.

You didn't look really hard did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

all they have to do now to equal them is bankrupt the country:rolleyes::rolleyes:

im no fan of this government...but jesus all you have to do to remember fianna fail is think of the the two ministers coming out and saying their not going to the IMF...and the descision made already....liars and corrupt liars at that is all they are

I hear you,but we were promised a new era,and new politics,and a change from the corruption of Fianna Fail.
    This crowd are just as bad
    Fine Gael have even promised a write down from europe on our debt,which is not true.Enda Kenny has never even asked for one,he said so himself.

Imagine if the people of Spain,France or Italy were asked to pay 42% of the european banking debt?
    There would be riots and uproar over there,the people wouldn't stand for it.
    Here our cowards in government just bend over and say yes sir.
    We are paying €9000 per person for the banking crisis,while the rest of europe pays an average of just €230.
    As for the other scandals,well its almost one a week from Fine Gael and Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I hear you,but we were promised a new era,and new politics,and a change from the corruption of Fianna Fail.
    This crowd are just as bad
    Fine Gael have even promised a write down from europe on our debt,which is not true.Enda Kenny has never even asked for one,he said so himself.

Imagine if the people of Spain,France or Italy were asked to pay 42% of the european banking debt?
    There would be riots and uproar over there,the people wouldn't stand for it.
    Here our cowards in government just bend over and say yes sir.
    We are paying €9000 per person for the banking crisis,while the rest of europe pays an average of just €230.
    As for the other scandals,well its almost one a week from Fine Gael and Labour.

jesus they are shocking statistics:eek::eek:

though to be fair they did promise 100K jobs.....just forget to mention they'd be all jobbridge/other mickey mouse schemes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

jesus they are shocking statistics:eek::eek:

though to be fair they did promise 100K jobs.....just forget to mention they'd be all jobbridge/other mickey mouse schemes

And abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

with the red C poll results this evening, it seems that people are starting to cop on a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

nice_very wrote: »
    with the red C poll results this evening, it seems that people are starting to cop on a bit

Not before time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Who on earth is Liz Murphy???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

John Deasy spoke in the Public Accounts Committee today about the plight of the economy in areas outside of Dublin and Cork in particular.

He highlighted that growth in those two cities has taken place, but this hasn't been reflected elsewhere in the country. Dublin and Cork account for 78% of the net gain in employment in foreign companies.

He asked if the funds could be diverted from the Pensions Reserve Fund in order to incentivise employment initiatives outside of Dublin and Cork. While an answer on that couldn't be given immediately, there was a commitment to look into his proposal further and report back.

I imagine lot of people wouldn't be aware of that kind of work going on, but it'll create more action than having a few quotes published in the Munster Express.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

hardybuck wrote: »
    John Deasy spoke in the Public Accounts Committee today about the plight of the economy in areas outside of Dublin and Cork in particular.

He highlighted that growth in those two cities has taken place, but this hasn't been reflected elsewhere in the country. Dublin and Cork account for 78% of the net gain in employment in foreign companies.

He asked if the funds could be diverted from the Pensions Reserve Fund in order to incentivise employment initiatives outside of Dublin and Cork. While an answer on that couldn't be given immediately, there was a commitment to look into his proposal further and report back.

I imagine lot of people wouldn't be aware of that kind of work going on, but it'll create more action than having a few quotes published in the Munster Express.

What is needed is for the IDA to incentivise more than Dublin,Cork and Galway.This is the problem. This can be done by a simple governmrnt instruction. Then they won't need to go near the pension reserve fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

What is needed is for the IDA to incentivise more than Dublin,Cork and Galway.This is the problem. This can be done by a simple governmrnt instruction. Then they won't need to go near the pension reserve fund.

I can imagine the government TDs from those areas being charmed at the proposal to reduce their area of trough in order to let in Waterford for a change. If they wanted to overhaul Waterford in the ways mentioned, they'd have done it by now. My conclusion, they don't want to. I'll be voting accordingly.

I can imagine the government TDs from those areas being charmed at the proposal to reduce their area of trough in order to let in Waterford for a change. If they wanted to overhaul Waterford in the ways mentioned, they'd have done it by now. My conclusion, they don't want to. I'll be voting accordingly.

I agree 100%. You would frankly have to be an idiot to conclude otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

FG spoof, reminds me of rabbitte's famous line "sure isnt that what you tend to do during an election"

John Deasy spoke

Amazingly.:eek:

I also heard Paudie Coffey speak on Today FM the other day. About the GAA deal with Sky.

I also heard Ciara Conway on Today FM - about banning smoking in cars.

Wouldn't it be great if they paid as much attention to their own County? Particularly this City? Which has been sabotaged by FG and labour.

No, with respect it is not.

Government direction won't matter because the companies genuinely need more of a reason to invest in this region than 'direction'. We don't have the transport infastructure, we don't have the skills base.

What Deasy is suggesting is that greater incentives be provided towards companies who do invest in regions like ours. That is where the prospect of using the Pension Reserve Fund came in.

No, with respect it is not.

Government direction won't matter because the companies genuinely need more of a reason to invest in this region than 'direction'. We don't have the transport infastructure, we don't have the skills base.

What Deasy is suggesting is that greater incentives be provided towards companies who do invest in regions like ours. That is where the prospect of using the Pension Reserve Fund came in.

How don't we have the transport infrastructure? We prpbably have the best regional road network in the country since 2010. We have a rail network comparable to the other regions. We have two major ports in the region which are the closes to rotterdam and form one of the made freight corridors between SE England (London) and Ireland.We do have the skills base. We have one of the best IT's in the country and the TSSG facility is probably the best IT research facility outside of Dublin at least. There is half a million people in the region. More than the Mid West or West. If the comapnies are attractive enough they are more than capable of attracting the skill sets. Guess what? Most of the multinaltionals workforce in Dublin are occupied by culchies and foreigners. Similar situations probably exist in Cork and Galway. If what you are saying is true and it obviously isn't then Deasy's suggestion makes even less sense. Its nonsense as it is. The IDA incentivises Galway and Cork above similar regions. This is a fact that they have admitted themselves. It's amazing that the laws of nature seem to break down when it comes to Waterford and Jobs. Maybe we can attract physicists and cosmologosts here to study this virtual black hole and breakdown of reality that exists in Waterford? That is if they could escape the gravitation pull of our neighbouring gombeen trough snouters!

I can believe you or I can believe the Financial Times which says otherwise.

http://www.waterfordbusinessinfo.ie/newsdetails.aspx?id=287

Also not the first time Waterfords potential has been highlighted by foreign publications who are not subservient to parochial interests.

we don't have the skills base.

Because we don't have a university and all that it brings. Because of parish pump politics. Educational establishment skullduggery. And more.

We need one ASAP.

And not that Frankenstein "Technology University" that our biggest fan Quinn is proposing.

7upfree wrote: »
    Because we don't have a university and all that it brings. Because of parish pump politics. Educational establishment skullduggery. And more.

We need one ASAP.

And not that Frankenstein "Technology University" that our biggest fan Quinn is proposing.

I think people may be over egging the importance of a university....if that important limerick would be having massive migration into it....ive yet to hear anyone suggest moving to limerick for a job

also WIT has poor enough facilities/poorly run from what I hear of people going to it
    (lecturers regulary not turning up,computers & printers etc not working)

IMO they would be better off building up WIT to being head and shoulders the best IT in the state

I think people may be over egging the importance of a university....if that important limerick would be having massive migration into it....ive yet to hear anyone suggest moving to limerick for a job

also WIT has poor enough facilities/poorly run from what I hear of people going to it
    (lecturers regulary not turning up,computers & printers etc not working)

IMO they would be better off building up WIT to being head and shoulders the best IT in the state

I agree with you in one sense in that I believe the not having a University is rolled out as an excuse by the IDA for not focusing on Waterford. The used to blame road access and when that issue was dealt with it became the university as tbeing the problem.

However the problems you have listed are not just associated with WIT. These are part and parcel of academic institutional life. It always amazes me that this is given as a reason for not upgrading WIT when the fact is the Universities also have this problem. WIT is also already one of the three best IT's in the country. There is a hairs breadth between them according to the Irish Times annual lists. It is also of interest that these "poorly run" anecdotes are just that. Anecdotes!

• Advertisement

I agree with you in one sense in that I believe the not having a University is rolled out as an excuse by the IDA for not focusing on Waterford.

However the problems you have listed are not just associated with WIT. These are part and parcel of academic institutional life. It always amazes me that this is given as a reason for not upgrading WIT when the fact is the Universities also have this problem. WIT is also already one of the three best IT's in the country. There is a hairs breadth between them according to the Irish Times annual lists. It is also of interest that these "poorly run" anecdotes are just that. Anecdotes!

its just IMO they would be better to be the best IT in the state than being at best an poor to average university

How don't we have the transport infrastructure? We prpbably have the best regional road network in the country since 2010. We have a rail network comparable to the other regions. We have two major ports in the region which are the closes to rotterdam and form one of the made freight corridors between SE England (London) and Ireland.We do have the skills base. We have one of the best IT's in the country and the TSSG facility is probably the best IT research facility outside of Dublin at least. There is half a million people in the region. More than the Mid West or West. If the comapnies are attractive enough they are more than capable of attracting the skill sets. Guess what? Most of the multinaltionals workforce in Dublin are occupied by culchies and foreigners. Similar situations probably exist in Cork and Galway. If what you are saying is true and it obviously isn't then Deasy's suggestion makes even less sense. Its nonsense as it is. The IDA incentivises Galway and Cork above similar regions. This is a fact that they have admitted themselves. It's amazing that the laws of nature seem to break down when it comes to Waterford and Jobs. Maybe we can attract physicists and cosmologosts here to study this virtual black hole and breakdown of reality that exists in Waterford? That is if they could escape the gravitation pull of our neighbouring gombeen trough snouters!

I can believe you or I can believe the Financial Times which says otherwise.

http://www.waterfordbusinessinfo.ie/newsdetails.aspx?id=287

Also not the first time Waterfords potential has been highlighted by foreign publications who are not subservient to parochial interests.

You're describing an excellent road infastructure which brings you to proper airports which are 90 mins away. A rail network which only really involves a service to Dublin. A port for transporting manufacturing product, when much of the job creation hasn't involved manufacturing.

You haven't mentioned in that the survey, which was some positive marketing for the city in fairness, Waterford was ranked behind Galway in the overall rankings for micro cities?

The survey ranked potential. The survey ranked micro cities. That involves Limerick, Waterford and Galway. Limerick and Waterford are both in trouble, I would agree that Galway has had more breaks - no doubt about that. However Dublin and Cork have had a lot more going for them, which is why they've attracted 78% of FDI in recent years.

As Dublin starts to run out of property and office space, more jobs will appear in Cork, and probably then Galway. The other cities and larger towns will scrap for jobs following that.

I am one of the 'culchies and foreigners' group that are filling jobs in Dublin. There are a huge amount of us up here. One thing which most of us can agree on is that we won't be going home anytime soon.

You're describing an excellent road infastructure which brings you to proper airports which are 90 mins away. A rail network which only really involves a service to Dublin. A port for transporting manufacturing product, when much of the job creation hasn't involved manufacturing.

You haven't mentioned in that the survey, which was some positive marketing for the city in fairness, Waterford was ranked behind Galway in the overall rankings for micro cities?

The survey ranked potential. The survey ranked micro cities. That involves Limerick, Waterford and Galway. Limerick and Waterford are both in trouble, I would agree that Galway has had more breaks - no doubt about that. However Dublin and Cork have had a lot more going for them, which is why they've attracted 78% of FDI in recent years.

As Dublin starts to run out of property and office space, more jobs will appear in Cork, and probably then Galway. The other cities and larger towns will scrap for jobs following that.

I am one of the 'culchies and foreigners' group that are filling jobs in Dublin. There are a huge amount of us up here. One thing which most of us can agree on is that we won't be going home anytime soon.

And you're trying to find holes where there aren't any! The report ranks Waterford ahead of Galway for FDI strategy and comparable to Galway in most other areas. You are talking about the two cities as if there is some huge abyss between them. There isn't Waterford,Limerick and Galway are in the same league so we should be attracting similar levels of FDI. There is no practical reason why we are not other than political strokery. Cork is in a different league but it is not in the same league as Dublin that is for sure. We have the grotesque situation in this country where Galway is portrayed as if it is comparable to Dublin and supported by certain figures in the media. While Waterford is just another Carlow or Longford. When anyone with a shred of intelligence knows Galway, Limerick and Waterford are comparable. We have three international airports that are 90 minutes away and one regional airport that can potentially connect to any of the main hubs in Europe. Again there is no reason why Waterford should not be attracting a Hell of a lot more FDI. Waterford always thrived realtive to other cities when governments kept out of economics. As for the manufacturing point you made. It isn't one. Manufacturing is still an important part of the economy. The government out of laziness neglected it in favour of financial services and glorified call centres. That was where we went wrong as a country. The strongest countries in Europe ecnomically are the ones that have strong manufacturing bases.

And you're trying to find holes where there aren't any! The report ranks Waterford ahead of Galway for FDI strategy and comparable to Galway in most other areas. You are talking about the two cities as if there is some huge abyss between them. There isn't Waterford,Limerick and Galway are in the same league so we should be attracting similar levels of FDI. There is no practical reason why we are not other than political strokery. Cork is in a different league but it is not in the same league as Dublin that is for sure. We have the grotesque situation in this country where Galway is portrayed as if it is comparable to Dublin and supported by certain figures in the media. While Waterford is just another Carlow or Longford. When anyone with a shred of intelligence knows Galway, Limerick and Waterford are comparable. We have three international airports that are 90 minutes away and one regional airport that can potentially connect to any of the main hubs in Europe. Again there is no reason why Waterford should not be attracting a Hell of a lot more FDI. Waterford always thrived realtive to other cities when governments kept out of economics. As for the manufacturing point you made. It isn't one. Manufacturing is still an important part of the economy. The government out of laziness neglected it in favour of financial services and glorified call centres. That was where we went wrong as a country. The strongest countries in Europe ecnomically are the ones that have strong manufacturing bases.

Rather than trying to find holes, I'm trying to explain why foreign executives haven't rated Waterford as a location they'd consider. The holes are there, but you might need to take a step back to see them.

Timing was an important factor here. I would say that 20 years ago, the unemployment in the west received a lot of attention when places like Waterford and it's surroundings were doing quite well. Galway, as the only city in the west, was definitely prioritised at that time. The newer medical devices companies moved in during that time, and this turned out to be a growth industry. They got lucky. Now, they have a critical mass of those type of companies, which makes it easier to attract FDI.

While this happened, the more traditional manufacturing companies, which made Waterford very wealthy when the likes of Galway were living hand to mouth, entered into decline. Waterford Crystal's closure was like a bomb going off. That's been very tough to address.

Limerick and Waterford have a lot in common. One is the hub for the south-east, the other for the south-west, as opposed to Cork and Galway who are the centres for their respective provinces. The Dell closure in Limerick did a lot of damage to their city in much the same way it did ours. However, they are lucky enough to have UL and Shannon Airport, which will help them on the way to recovery.

Trust me when I tell you that the likes of the Americans will give out yards about not having direct flights to a city or region. The Silicon Valley companies basically forced the Govt and Aer Lingus to schedule direct flights from San Francisco to Dublin recently.

Since 2008, the IDA and Govt officials have been going cap in hand to various countries in a bid to attract FDI. Unfortunately, the companies have been holding all the cards, and have been demanding Dublin as their choice of location in many cases, and Cork to a lesser extent. Ireland's bargaining position wasn't very strong, the multinationals weren't fools and understood that we were desperate, and if they couldn't get their preferred locations they were going elsewhere. Ireland's return to stability way ahead of the likes of Spain, Portugal and Greece wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Just on manufacturing - Ireland is an extremely expensive country to do manufacture product in. Our main activity here are among the medical device companies and the pharmaceuticals. If it weren't for our favourable tax structures, our ability to speak English in particular, they'd be gone in a flash. The strongest countries in Europe have indigenous companies who started their operations when Irish people were under British rule, and subsistence farming. The rail network in mainland Europe is a big help to them also.

This hopefully won't last forever. Things are on the up. Costs of doing business, and the costs of staff locating there, are on the increase. This will force organisations to move slowly back out to the regions.

Rather than trying to find holes, I'm trying to explain why foreign executives haven't rated Waterford as a location they'd consider. The holes are there, but you might need to take a step back to see them .

But you’re not explaining anything! You’re just reproducing hackneyed arguments that you have read here and there. You’re assertions around timing are also incredibly misinformed. The idea that Waterford 20 years ago was doing well compared to Galway is frankly laughable. The idea that Waterford was “very wealthy” smacks of the parochial attitudes that have plagued Ireland since time immemorial and do not stand up to scrutiny,
    Timing was an important factor here. I would say that 20 years ago, the unemployment in the west received a lot of attention when places like Waterford and it's surroundings were doing quite well. Galway, as the only city in the west, was definitely prioritised at that time. The newer medical devices companies moved in during that time, and this turned out to be a growth industry. They got lucky. Now, they have a critical mass of those type of companies, which makes it easier to attract FDI..

The flow of inward investment into that region 20 years ago in 1994 was well under way by at least a decade and was frequently being commented on by the local media. If you find this book in the local library you will find it documented as far back as the 1970’s.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labour-history-Waterford-Emmet-OConnor/dp/0951503405
    Indeed the preferential treatment of Galway began before Independence with the location of Queens University there. This University was originally considered for Waterford but in an act of solidarity Waterford MP’s supported it going to Galway. This continued into Independence well into the 1950’s but any real disparity if it ever existed in the first place was well gone by the 1970’s But here is the thing Galway was PRIORITISED! There is no reason the same could not be done for the South East.
    While this happened, the more traditional manufacturing companies, which made Waterford very wealthy when the likes of Galway were living hand to mouth, entered into decline. Waterford Crystal's closure was like a bomb going off. That's been very tough to address .

Oh dear. This is frankly pure nonsense and the only difficulty surrounding addressing this is a political one.
    Limerick and Waterford have a lot in common. One is the hub for the south-east, the other for the south-west, as opposed to Cork and Galway who are the centres for their respective provinces. The Dell closure in Limerick did a lot of damage to their city in much the same way it did ours. However, they are lucky enough to have UL and Shannon Airport, which will help them on the way to recovery.

Again incorrect! Galway is nowhere near large enough to have hegemony over the entire Connaught province The provinces have no standing anymore when it comes to collecting data and have not done so for centuries. The regions are the economic gauges Once you go beyond 80km or so towns like Athlone and Sligo take over as economic centres in their respective regions. And the data shows that Waterford is in a much better position regionally that anywhere outside of Dublin or Cork,

Trust me when I tell you that the likes of the Americans will give out yards about not having direct flights to a city or region. The Silicon Valley companies basically forced the Govt and Aer Lingus to schedule direct flights from San Francisco to Dublin recently .

Enough of the condescension already. You work in Dublin. Who hasn’t? You don’t have any inside knowledge on what Americans companies want or what the government was forced to do. Especially as most of the Silicon Valley companies are in Dublin. More like the Hoteliers Federation and the “Save the West” brigade led by Enda and Michael ring forced Aer Lingus’s hand. Again I can choose to believe you are the FT which puts us ahead of Galway for FDI strategy. Incidentally much of the blue chip companies and pharma in Dublin are heavily reliant on logistics and Engineering companies in the South East. I know this because I worked with them in Intel and Pfizer;-) Therefore much of the supporting infrastructure and skills base is already here in Waterford which I suspect is what FT realized.

Since 2008, the IDA and Govt officials have been going cap in hand to various countries in a bid to attract FDI. Unfortunately, the companies have been holding all the cards, and have been demanding Dublin as their choice of location in many cases, and Cork to a lesser extent. Ireland's bargaining position wasn't very strong, the multinationals weren't fools and understood that we were desperate, and if they couldn't get their preferred locations they were going elsewhere. Ireland's return to stability way ahead of the likes of Spain, Portugal and Greece wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Read this in the Indo did you? Oh wait, It was probably the South Dublin regional newspaper called the Irish Times. I seem to recall weekly job announcements to Galway over the last two years. Paypal for Dundalk etc.

Just on manufacturing - Ireland is an extremely expensive country to do manufacture product in. Our main activity here are among the medical device companies and the pharmaceuticals. If it weren't for our favourable tax structures, our ability to speak English in particular, they'd be gone in a flash. The strongest countries in Europe have indigenous companies who started their operations when Irish people were under British rule, and subsistence farming. The rail network in mainland Europe is a big help to them also .

Ok at the risk of repeating myself! These are just memes that you are recycling third hand. Thirty years ago the meme was that Ireland was only big enough economically to support two million people. Brian Lenihan from Fine Fail is on public record as saying this in the eighties. FG too often trumpeted this line. This was challenged and rightly put to bed. Yes manufacturing is expensive but it can be sustained in Germany or Holland which are not cheap. Once a company is listed it effectively becomes a multinational so it doesn’t matter what country it originated in. Oh BTW there are pharma and medical device companies in the south east too as well as IT. Plenty for the IDA to start building critical mass that is so beloved of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

from attending several uni's around the world i can tell you Waterford is at least 10 years behind in terms of coming a full uni.

this technical uni is the greatest cover up by local government TD's ever.

people say the politicians don't care..... i disagree, previously in the past all national politicians from Waterford couldn't give a hoots but now 2 of the 6 (halligan and cullinane) actually do and are doing a fine good job at it. the other 4 coffey, conway, deasy, cummins snr might as well be licking Kenny and Gilmore's anus.

what i find hysterical is the priority questions they ask.......... they bloody well know the answers already but they need it to be put on record so they are seen to be doing something. at least with halligan and cullinane they have genuine reasons to seek the information.

the systems stinks and our government politicians stink!

But you’re not explaining anything! You’re just reproducing hackneyed arguments that you have read here and there. You’re assertions around timing are also incredibly misinformed. The idea that Waterford 20 years ago was doing well compared to Galway is frankly laughable. The idea that Waterford was “very wealthy” smacks of the parochial attitudes that have plagued Ireland since time immemorial and do not stand up to scrutiny,

The flow of inward investment into that region 20 years ago in 1994 was well under way by at least a decade and was frequently being commented on by the local media. If you find this book in the local library you will find it documented as far back as the 1970’s.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labour-history-Waterford-Emmet-OConnor/dp/0951503405

Indeed the preferential treatment of Galway began before Independence with the location of Queens University there. This University was originally considered for Waterford but in an act of solidarity Waterford MP’s supported it going to Galway. This continued into Independence well into the 1950’s but any real disparity if it ever existed in the first place was well gone by the 1970’s But here is the thing Galway was PRIORITISED! There is no reason the same could not be done for the South East.

Oh dear. This is frankly pure nonsense and the only difficulty surrounding addressing this is a political one.

Again incorrect! Galway is nowhere near large enough to have hegemony over the entire Connaught province The provinces have no standing anymore when it comes to collecting data and have not done so for centuries. The regions are the economic gauges Once you go beyond 80km or so towns like Athlone and Sligo take over as economic centres in their respective regions. And the data shows that Waterford is in a much better position regionally that anywhere outside of Dublin or Cork,

Enough of the condescension already. You work in Dublin. Who hasn’t? You don’t have any inside knowledge on what Americans companies want or what the government was forced to do. Especially as most of the Silicon Valley companies are in Dublin. More like the Hoteliers Federation and the “Save the West” brigade led by Enda and Michael ring forced Aer Lingus’s hand. Again I can choose to believe you are the FT which puts us ahead of Galway for FDI strategy. Incidentally much of the blue chip companies and pharma in Dublin are heavily reliant on logistics and Engineering companies in the South East. I know this because I worked with them in Intel and Pfizer;-) Therefore much of the supporting infrastructure and skills base is already here in Waterford which I suspect is what FT realized.

Read this in the Indo did you? Oh wait, It was probably the South Dublin regional newspaper called the Irish Times. I seem to recall weekly job announcements to Galway over the last two years. Paypal for Dundalk etc.

Ok at the risk of repeating myself! These are just memes that you are recycling third hand. Thirty years ago the meme was that Ireland was only big enough economically to support two million people. Brian Lenihan from Fine Fail is on public record as saying this in the eighties. FG too often trumpeted this line. This was challenged and rightly put to bed. Yes manufacturing is expensive but it can be sustained in Germany or Holland which are not cheap. Once a company is listed it effectively becomes a multinational so it doesn’t matter what country it originated in. Oh BTW there are pharma and medical device companies in the south east too as well as IT. Plenty for the IDA to start building critical mass that is so beloved of Galway.

You make some quite valid arguments, I won't criticise the quality of your debate. Just on the point of inside knowledge of government policy and knowledge of what American and other multinational companies want - yes I have quite a lot of inside knowledge there!

If we go any further we're moving from a policital debate to more of a history/economics debate. I feel that time will prove my argument right in relation to the speed of the recovery, the direction it will move in, and the reasons why it will happen in this fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Fuzzy Dunlop, You've my Number 1 if you go for the Dáil elections.

I think if the current parochial system is what we're to see for the next generation, I'd love to see 4 'Waterford Party' TDs. 4 alligned independents who fight scream and roar at the pathetic yet blatant treatment of our city. If we've any luck, they might hold the balance of power. If we had 4 intelligent candidates with solid experience in whatever field they've earned their reputations, we'd at least get our voices heard without the message being muted because it doesn't suit some Fianna Folksy HQ who are pandering to their high flyers in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Fuzzy Dunlop, You've my Number 1 if you go for the Dáil elections.

I think if the current parochial system is what we're to see for the next generation, I'd love to see 4 'Waterford Party' TDs. 4 alligned independents who fight scream and roar at the pathetic yet blatant treatment of our city. If we've any luck, they might hold the balance of power. If we had 4 intelligent candidates with solid experience in whatever field they've earned their reputations, we'd at least get our voices heard without the message being muted because it doesn't suit some Fianna Folksy HQ who are pandering to their high flyers in Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork.

not so sure, 4 independents may scream and shout but nobody will listen, I reckon having decent candidates in the party in power is probably way to achieve best possible results (in current backward/corrupt system at least), unfortunately, it seems just because we have a good case for some investment, isn't enough, we need people to be able to influence those in charge.
    on saying that, john halligan has been a good TD in terms of contribution to national debate, most commentators and papers seem to agree and respect him, what investment has he brought to Waterford?, nothing probably. Always possibility of some sort of independent support for main party to influence but there are so many independents out there, bargaining position is weak and there are independents closer to main party out there.

I cant see a tech uni. a great game changer, it will be basically a name change without investment. IDA/govt will find another excuse to ignore us, throw us a couple of million to tart-up a street and say, that's them sorted for 4 years. prioritising the SE/Waterford would be a game changer, change the grants, proper support by IDA, a regional director etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

i see Eddie "Fianna Fail" Mulligan is running as an independent. "continuity Fianna Fail" of Briscoe and co are the team behind him.

absolute fraudster, would not surprise me if elected he will go back into Fianna Fail.

Another Mary Rocheite!

Advertisement