Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

You should be in politics....

It's fairly obvious that he is.......

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

7upfree wrote: »
    It's fairly obvious that he is.......

God help us all...............

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Indeed..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Are you actually for real Smiley? And that blinded by party allegiance?

How about:

1. A University, as promised by your heroes. And not some frankenstein "Technological University"

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

2. A Hospital that is not undermined.

3. A City treated as an equally with its peer Cities.

And that's just for starters.

"A relatively small place". Nice to see the FG outlook on Waterford City bubbling to the surface.

ah right! The social problems that exist in Lisduggan area of the city is because of the lack of a university???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

maybe maybe just maybe if some of the aforementioned issues were addressed, and some focus put on employment, we may not have as many social issues ! instead we get gombeen politics by the likes of howling and our old friend Phil ! fg at it best !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise67 wrote: »
    maybe maybe just maybe if some of the aforementioned issues were addressed, and some focus put on employment, we may not have as many social issues ! instead we get gombeen politics by the likes of howling and our old friend Phil ! fg at it best !!

None of the issues mentioned by 7up will address our problems. They don't create the employment expected. Visits by the IDA are up in Waterford and cash has been injected to the city in various areas. People are not setting up here for whatever reason and I can't really pinpoint blame on the IDA. We need direct employment which will then give money into the local economy.

We seem to forget that the South East as a whole is suffering, even though it has two senior Ministers in cabinet. Clearly their position isn't seeing much of a difference in their own counties, unemployment and social issues are still issues in Kilkenny & Wexford. And it's not just in the past two+ years (the lifetime of the government) that Waterford and the South East has suffered.

ah right! The social problems that exist in Lisduggan area of the city is because of the lack of a university???
    Now you are being disingenuous in your argument. If I live beside a bank it does not mean I have money . This sort of smart alec politics does not sit well with me. A politician (sic.) who cannot recognise that social inequalities are a firm and consistent basis for poor educational opportunity, poor health , a greater likelihood to descend into a life of crime, less chance for social betterment, is quite frankly incapable of cognitive empathy and therefore incapable and undeserving of office. To dismiss as predictable a genuine and logical argument on the social, financial and educational opportunity of citizens and voters in poorer areas is astonishingly arrogant and divisive. Is this the Ireland of Pearse , Childers snr, Casement the idealists who gave their life for freedom of self determination? I think not.... The day of reckoning is coming for the politics of greed and self interest . The ideology of ''let them eat cake'' which is prevalent in the government parties is near to examination.
    The people of this country will have the chance to adjudicate on their stewardship , I hope they take it at all levels ..

Sully wrote: »
    None of the issues mentioned by 7up will address our problems. They don't create the employment expected. Visits by the IDA are up in Waterford and cash has been injected to the city in various areas. People are not setting up here for whatever reason and I can't really pinpoint blame on the IDA. We need direct employment which will then give money into the local economy.

We seem to forget that the South East as a whole is suffering, even though it has two senior Ministers in cabinet. Clearly their position isn't seeing much of a difference in their own counties, unemployment and social issues are still issues in Kilkenny & Wexford. And it's not just in the past two+ years (the lifetime of the government) that Waterford and the South East has suffered.

Of course, but when you have a policy of attacking the poorest and most disadvantaged sections of society you are culpable. Swingeing social welfare cuts , broken promises on University education charges, blatant self interest at the highest echelons of the administration all add up to a sorry state of affairs.

There is a hilarious comedy programme on RTE 1 right now ........

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

How many of these wonderful statistics apply to Waterford?
    How many of the jobs that have been created in Waterford are A) Not jobbridge and B) Above the average industrial wage level?

I'm of the opinion this crowd are full of..... but I'm open to convincing. I'm also opening to declaring BS on anyone who tells me I can spend money based on an increase in IDA visits. I want to know why these companies are choosing locations elsewhere. Is the pitch level?

• Advertisement

How many of these wonderful statistics apply to Waterford?
    How many of the jobs that have been created in Waterford are A) Not jobbridge and B) Above the average industrial wage level?

I'm of the opinion this crowd are full of..... but I'm open to convincing. I'm also opening to declaring BS on anyone who tells me I can spend money based on an increase in IDA visits. I want to know why these companies are choosing locations elsewhere. Is the pitch level?

Here ya go;
    According to the CSO in 2013 15,300 jobs added to those already employed in the South East region the unemployment rate
    15.5% down from 20.1% 2 yrs ago and we now have the highest number of people employed in the Region since 2009.

Since this Government came to office there is an additional 11,800 people at work in the South East Region.

Source: Paudie Coffey, TD. Facebook.

Re: Why they don't choose Waterford, I wonder are there any stats recorded for that question?

Here ya go;

Re: Why they don't choose Waterford, I wonder are there any stats recorded for that question?

I knew the figure, I'm asking specifically do the stats exist that show how many of those jobs are either Jobbridge or lower paid than the ones they lost. Nice skip sideways though! :)

As for the alternatives to Waterford? I don't think its stats but are there examples of incentives or other various influences in favour of the 3 main cities in Ireland?
    (I no longer count Waterford as an equal city to Cork, Galway or Dublin).

I knew the figure, I'm asking specifically do the stats exist that show how many of those jobs are either Jobbridge or lower paid than the ones they lost. Nice skip sideways though! :)

As for the alternatives to Waterford? I don't think its stats but are there examples of incentives or other various influences in favour of the 3 main cities in Ireland?
    (I no longer count Waterford as an equal city to Cork, Galway or Dublin).

I wouldn't have thought Jobbridge was recorded as a job, as you are still on Social Welfare. There are starts to show Jobbridge leads to jobs though. And I doubt the pay scale has any baring on the stats.

Direct incentives for Waterford, no. A specific programme for the South East, yes. Is it working? I don't think so.

I wouldn't have thought Jobbridge was recorded as a job, as you are still on Social Welfare. There are starts to show Jobbridge leads to jobs though. And I doubt the pay scale has any baring on the stats.

Direct incentives for Waterford, no. A specific programme for the South East, yes. Is it working? I don't think so.

Are there direct incentives for regions other than South East?
    Where I'm getting at with the extra jobs stat is - Does the cumulative value of the jobs lost in wages exceed the value of the wages in the new jobs.

eg.
    3 People. All earning 60k lose their jobs in Waterford.
    Job total is 3 less.

Those 3 people get a job each on 20k.

Reality.. 120k less tax lost to the local economy.
    FG.. 3 new jobs! All unemployment solved! VOTE FG!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

say that again about unemployment figures and FG's great work Sully, I didnt hear you with (cant say it cos I'll get a ban) in your mouth, I suppose coffey welcomed the figures too seeing as all he does is give welcomes to party political bullyouknow-what, any figures on youth emigration from Waterford in the last number of years or is that FF fault for "getting us into this mess" or is it SF fault for the troubles, perhaps labour are to blame.. anyone but the blueshirts !! You keep on wearing those blue tinted glasses. 1978738_578073518956226_57087775_n.jpg

None of the issues mentioned by 7up will address our problems. They don't create the employment expected.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Visits by the IDA are up in Waterford and cash has been injected to the city in various areas.

Visits. Yep. That'll do it alright.:rolleyes:

People are not setting up here for whatever reason and I can't really pinpoint blame on the IDA. We need direct employment which will then give money into the local economy.

Which will be kickstarted by..........a university.

Absolutely not. But this Government have taken it to a whole new level.

City Council, WRH, VEC, the list is truly endless.

That statement really says it all. Really.:)

Here ya go;

Oh joy. 15% unemployment. What an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 foobally

I thought that Irish Times article said it was 19%? Or is that the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

nice_very wrote: »
    1978738_578073518956226_57087775_n.jpg

According to Jan 2014 CSO statistics, over 26,000 people in Waterford City & County are on the live register. With a total population of around 100,000 (not all of whom can actually work - sick, elderly, kids) between the city & county, the unemployment rate in Waterford is disturbingly higher than that 15.5% rate for the South East.

• Advertisement

According to Jan 2014 CSO statistics, over 26,000 people in Waterford City & County are on the live register. With a total population of around 100,000 (not all of whom can actually work - sick, elderly, kids) between the city & county, the unemployment rate in Waterford is disturbingly higher than that 15.5% rate for the South East.

Ah come on! Ya can't go running good political spin!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

opened my door this morning to a carefully placed FF flyer placed strategically under my doormat , it was perpendicular to my step with the candidates mugshot looking straight up at me , it surely didn't blow under my mat and land in such a position ! is this the latest strategy ? put litter in peoples garden and avoid debate ? wouldn't vote FF ever again but would sure like a little chat , oh bye the bye same goes for FG & labour. suppose we will see a lot of this type of "electioneering" with leaflets placed appearing in the dead of night !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

so 15.5 is for SE, what is the Waterford rate of unemployment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Max Powers wrote: »
    so 15.5 is for SE, what is the Waterford rate of unemployment?
    The CSO doesn't provide the unemployment rate by county, only by region, but they do provide the live register figure by welfare office which I quoted above so we can see how many are on the live register in the county.

But the live register "is specifically not designed to measure unemployment."

So I don't know what the unemployment rate is for Waterford, I'd say over the SE average anyway, I'm just trying to read up on it now here: http://www.inou.ie/empmeasure/ - clear as mud to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Once the unemployment rate hits around 4 - 5% you've effectively reached zero unemployment.

I've asked Smiley this question on the election thread, but he refuses to answer.

Did the monies raised by the Local Property Tax go DIRECTLY to Waterford City Council? Aside from funding ALREADY allocated?

That's a Yes/No answer. No dancing around funding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

I've asked Smiley this question on the election thread, but he refuses to answer.

Did the monies raised by the Local Property Tax go DIRECTLY to Waterford City Council? Aside from funding ALREADY allocated?

That's a Yes/No answer. No dancing around funding etc.

yes...even this week alone, Waterford co council received an extra 7.4 million to repair harbours/roads etc from storm damage...this money came from property tax.

yes...even this week alone, Waterford co council received an extra 7.4 million to repair harbours/roads etc from storm damage...this money came from property tax.

This money is for emergency repairs. What would have happened if there was no storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Fine Gael and Labour have become embroiled in too many scandals and corruption in three the years they have been in power.
    They have managed to make the corrupt Fianna Fail look good,which is quiet an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Fine Gael and Labour have become embroiled in too many scandals and corruption in three the years they have been in power.
    They have managed to make the corrupt Fianna Fail look good,which is quiet an achievement.

all they have to do now to equal them is bankrupt the country:rolleyes::rolleyes:

im no fan of this government...but jesus all you have to do to remember fianna fail is think of the the two ministers coming out and saying their not going to the IMF...and the descision made already....liars and corrupt liars at that is all they are

Advertisement