Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

is that the best you can come up with??? really??? i'll take it from this response that you don't know what you're talking about

Yawn................... Reminds me of Blackadder bemoaning the first world war and its endless poetry..your endless defence of the indefensible is so boring it is mind numbing stuff......I would rather adopt a challenging stance than your constant party line .....Kim jong Il would love non questioning political pygmies of your ilk persistently toeing the party line in the face of indisputable evidence of a corrupt government riddled with self interest and shady practise.....;)

Maybe you have taken up Revionist incorrectly, whey he says "Yawn", he is referring to SF policy.

Sorry but a yawn to that remark would not be strong enough ..practically put me into a coma........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Yawn................... Reminds me of Blackadder bemoaning the first world war and its endless poetry..your endless defence of the indefensible is so boring it is mind numbing stuff......I would rather adopt a challenging stance than your constant party line .....Kim jong Il would love non questioning political pygmies of your ilk persistently toeing the party line in the face of indisputable evidence of a corrupt government riddled with self interest and shady practise.....;)
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

So does anyone know what the slanderous tweets that were directed at John Cummins were? PM me if needs be :)

http://www.thejournal.ie/twitter-mayor-john-cummins-1335621-Feb2014/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AdMMM wrote: »
    So does anyone know what the slanderous tweets that were directed at John Cummins were? PM me if needs be :)

http://www.thejournal.ie/twitter-mayor-john-cummins-1335621-Feb2014/

Please don't start a discussion on this topic and please don't post about what any tweets may have contained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Please don't start a discussion on this topic and please don't post about what any tweets may have contained

Whys that?

not looking for details on the issue, just wondering why it cannot be talked about.

It's currently before the courts and allow public comments on active cases can get Boards.ie in trouble, especially when they involve Fine Gael politicians :p.

No harm in sending them to me by PM though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KOTSC

Regarding the upcoming local elections does anyone know if Direct Democracy Ireland are running any candidates in Waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

*NEWSFLASH*

John Deasy spoke at the PAC today, who were meeting about the Rehab Group.

I was getting worried about his welfare recently, having not heard of him in so long!

Regarding the sit in at the park inn pub, its thing to support the bar staff holding the sit in Id support the bsr staff as would some others, I do however take issue with political parties using a picture of the staff in a party poster with a text number to join their party in a self promotion effort, I will not be voting for any swp candidate in the local elections.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152226249022929&set=a.449276072928.212542.132633832928&type=1&theater

photo.php?fbid=10152226249022929&set=a.449276072928.212542.132633832928&type=1&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

KOTSC wrote: »
    Regarding the sit in at the park inn pub, its thing to support the bar staff holding the sit in Id support the bsr staff as would some others, I do however take issue with political parties using a picture of the staff in a party poster with a text number to join their party in a self promotion effort, I will not be voting for any swp candidate in the local elections.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152226249022929&set=a.449276072928.212542.132633832928&type=1&theater

photo.php?fbid=10152226249022929&set=a.449276072928.212542.132633832928&type=1&theater
    and in the picture on the poster is a sitting sinn fein councillor!!

#facepalm

and in the picture on the poster is a sitting sinn fein councillor!!

#facepalm

As john hearne is a councillor in the area its not surprising he gave his support, looking from other photos from facebook , john halligan and john hearne posted photos on their pages of last nights protest, thing is showing support is one thing not something Id take issue with as neither john halligans or john hearnes photos are trying recruit anyone , trying to promote and advertise a political party and attempt to recruit new members into that party with a picture of the park inn staff is not on and will likely lose the waterford swp some votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

trying to promote and advertise a political party and attempt to recruit new members into that party with a picture of the park inn staff is not on and will likely lose the waterford swp some votes.

I agree it could lose them 50 % of their votes they might only get 12 votes next election.

Regarding the upcoming local elections does anyone know if Direct Democracy Ireland are running any candidates in Waterford ?

they are running 3, with the potential for 2 more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

john hearne is the waterford equivalent of jackie healy rae..... gombeen

The SWP are the reason that many people don't turn up at many protests, which are usually hijacked by them in some shape or form with their inane slogans on those B&W posters.

Gardner wrote: »
    john hearne is the waterford equivalent of jackie healy rae..... gombeen

I wouldn't agree. He is obviously a chap who cares very much about his community. A pity the other "politicians" don't take a leaf from his book.

7upfree wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree. He is obviously a chap who cares very much about his community. A pity the other "politicians" don't take a leaf from his book.

Anyone who gets there car petrol bombed is obviously doing something effective thats effecting the scum bags negatively in the area. not only that he has vowed to continue what hes doing after the attack.

Its hard to criticise a man for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 deisegal1

Hi everyone, I'm a journalist living and working in Waterford. I'd like to find out more information regarding the sit in and I was just wondering if any of yee knew anyone personally who I could speak to?? :)

Hijpo wrote: »
    Anyone who gets there car petrol bombed is obviously doing something effective thats effecting the scum bags negatively in the area. not only that he has vowed to continue what hes doing after the attack.

Its hard to criticise a man for that.[/

Some of the crowd here comfortable in their nimby middle class surroundings devoid of all the misery associated with an area deprived of social and economic benefit such as the area represented by John Cummins , find it easy to critize. I have to hand it to Cummins who is a hero in my eyes . Someone who puts himself second to the welfare of his people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

deisegal1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm a journalist living and working in Waterford. I'd like to find out more information regarding the sit in and I was just wondering if any of yee knew anyone personally who I could speak to?? :)

they have a page set up on facebook, you could contact them through it

https://www.facebook.com/thelittlepubthatfoughtback?ref=ts&fref=ts

5400 likes in 24 hours, wow they have a lot of support!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 deisegal1

Thanks very much :) unfortunately the local papers have got there before me!!

Hijpo wrote: »

Its hard to criticise a man for that.[/

Some of the crowd here comfortable in their nimby middle class surroundings devoid of all the misery associated with an area deprived of social and economic benefit such as the area represented by John Cummins , find it easy to critize. I have to hand it to Cummins who is a hero in my eyes . Someone who puts himself second to the welfare of his people.

any chance you'd tell us what you think these people are "deprived" of??

any chance you'd tell us what you think these people are "deprived" of??

This is actually a serious question?????????:confused:

You actually want to know how a poorer deprived area is at a disadvantage to their counterparts in a wealthy well disposed area. In terms of socio -economics the difficulty for someone from one of these areas to aspire to a bright future is immense. This is the story the world over and particularly in this country with a government that has polarised the population with divisive,insidious practises ( something you have failed to respond to) . You should be in politics....

This is actually a serious question?????????:confused:

You actually want to know how a poorer deprived area is at a disadvantage to their counterparts in a wealthy well disposed area. In terms of socio -economics the difficulty for someone from one of these areas to aspire to a bright future is immense. This is the story the world over and particularly in this country with a government that has polarised the population with divisive,insidious practises ( something you have failed to respond to) . You should be in politics....

any chance you'd answer the question and tell me what the people in this area are deprived of?? I await your answer with interest....very predictable stuff from you to be honest....

Why not just have a look here Smiley?

http://airomaps.nuim.ie/flexviewer/?config=AIDepIndex.xml

It's based on research for the 2011 Derprivation Index. That area scores quite poorly in the following three categories:
    Demographic Profile
    Social Class Composition
    Labour Market Situation

AdMMM wrote: »
    Why not just have a look here Smiley?

http://airomaps.nuim.ie/flexviewer/?config=AIDepIndex.xml

It's based on research for the 2011 Derprivation Index. That area scores quite poorly in the following three categories:
    Demographic Profile
    Social Class Composition
    Labour Market Situation

I asked what they are deprived of?? I want details about what facilities (educational, sporting, recreational, leisure etc) they are lacking in that part of Waterford (I'm really interested in the response, especially when you consider that waterford is a relatively-small place anyway!!)

I asked what they are deprived of?? I want details about what facilities (educational, sporting, recreational, leisure etc) they are lacking in that part of Waterford (I'm really interested in the response, especially when you consider that waterford is a relatively-small place anyway!!)

Are you actually for real Smiley? And that blinded by party allegiance?

How about:

1. A University, as promised by your heroes. And not some frankenstein "Technological University"

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

2. A Hospital that is not undermined.

3. A City treated as an equally with its peer Cities.

And that's just for starters.

"A relatively small place". Nice to see the FG outlook on Waterford City bubbling to the surface.

The problem doesn't lie with the amount of facilities available, it runs much deeper than that. Revisionist was actually spot on, in my opinion.

If an area has high unemployment, high levels of crime and low levels of education, then that area is going to rapidly fall behind areas that don't have those problems. You can't just solve it overnight with a few recreational facilities and youth programme funding that's only available to a small number of people.

You may correctly point out that there's no shortcoming of educational opportunities and recreational facilities nearby, but that's of little comfort to the families that either can't afford to keep their children in school, or have become disenfranchised with the Government and don't realise the value of education.

[EDIT]Before you think I'm attacking your mothership, I don't just mean this FG/Lab Government, I mean successive governments have failed the area.[/EDIT]

• Advertisement

I have to hand it to Cummins who is a hero in my eyes . Someone who puts himself second to the welfare of his people.

Do elaborate....

Advertisement