Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom - overpriced?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yep - that's the one. "I did not have sex with that woman". Damn right he didn't.

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a reference to bill clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

it's a reference to bill clinton.

Bill Clinton was at Bloom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bill Clinton was at Bloom?

:pac::pac::D

I think poor auld Trisha is just letting off a little steam.

Maybe a nice walk along the East Pier in Dún Laoghaire listening to the jazz music would relax her a bit more....then again maybe not

I am of course a middle aged whinger - never thought I'd end up like this!!

Always used to go down the West pier but now I sometimes only have 30-40 mins and East is handier for that.....And - insult to injury - once recently the wind was so strong that the less than dulcet tones of the sax drifted from East to West pier!

On 1 of our travels to The Phoenix Park for Bloom 2013,we got up close-ish to the deer aswell.

Our daughter was delighted to get up close to them and see so many of them in one location.

• Advertisement

2 more pics that I found on the camera.

Serious amount of carpentry work,construction work,leccy work and rigging work to be done for Bloom.

And 1 of the Allium flower show stands being arranged/prepped for Bloom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're not helping your 'i had no connection with anything to do with bloom' story. your perspective is clearly not one joe punter would be able to form.

you're not helping your 'i had no connection with anything to do with bloom' story. your perspective is clearly not one joe punter would be able to form.

You want answers??....:pac::pac::D

Oh and a quick pic of the Sonairte folk prepping and setting up their display area.

I think thats about all the photos I have on my camera/SD card now,at this stage.

Allready looking forward to Bloom 2014.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I think Paddy is enjoying the "mystery"

Well it's very clear that either directly or indirectly he is in some way connected to bloom.

I for one am regarding his opinions on the whole thing as that of someone with a vested interest.

Having said that it does sound like a good day out and I might venture up next year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So paddy's job was a success then peadar :P

So paddy's job was a success then peadar :P

Well I didn't hear anyone say that bloom was sh*te. The only gripe was the price and whether or not it was worth it.
    Next year I'll give my unbiased opinion on whether or not it is worth the admission price

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well it was pretty ****, I said so, because it was far too crowded and you couldn't see anything not because of what was there. You could be in and out in an hour instead of standing around for 5 hours trying to see a garden. It's pretty good if they didn't pack 110000 people in over the few days.
    If you got a quiet time it would be good, but not 20e good. I'd have had more fun with a picnic in the park tbh. My girlfriend said she wouldn't go back.

peadar76 wrote: »
    Well I didn't hear anyone say that bloom was sh*te. The only gripe was the price and whether or not it was worth it.
    Next year I'll give my unbiased opinion on whether or not it is worth the admission price

My opinion and my families opinion was and is unbiased.:)

Myself and others even told and suggested to people here that they go on the Monday,when its less crowded and the bargains are to be had,with regards the flowers,trees and plants being sold off.

We had no problems getting in through the crowds on the Monday,to see the show gardens and take the pics......

paddy147 wrote: »
    My opinion and my families opinion was and is unbiased.:)

yeah yeah, good man

peadar76 wrote: »
    yeah yeah, good man

Enjoy your trip to Bloom 2014 so.....:D

Hopefuly you will go,and will have lots of pics of your trip to it.

Regards.

Final final 3 pics off the camera of Bloom 2013.

Nice water feature made from PT wood and some clear corrugated roof panel.

And a nice use of old tree trunks as stepping stones and branches to make a garden shelter.

Pic of the dutch imported apple trees in the Keelings Sponsered Garden (one of them got snapped in transit).

It was tough to battle through the crowds and even see any of the gardens.

It was also so hard to say to people...."excuse me,can we get in there for a second please.Just want to take a pic of the garden".."Thanks".

Yep,we had to battle through the crowds for 5 hours on Monday just to see the gardens and take these pics.....:pac::pac:

Oh no wait,we didnt have to battle through crowds for 5 hours,and we didnt complain about the crowds either.....:D

We also enjoyed a lovely family picnic with many other families doing the same,in the glorious sunshine and listened to some lovely music from the live band and from RTE Lyric FM.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I live very close to the Park and so I went to Bloom last year fairly late in the day. I had paid ahead of time with a discount so it was fine, think 15 or something.
    But as many here are not gardeners, etc, like myself, I can see why for some it's not worth it. Fair enough! Like it has been pointed out numerous times, there are loads of other things to do that one can avail of. I think the gardens are gorgeous to view, and because it's not my skill area at all, it's pretty awesome to see them up close.

So this year I didn't want to pay, figured I'd head over on the last day very late and have a quick gawk at the gardens before it closed, but guess what? They do not let you in for free in the last hour! I was surprised. I asked if they gave a discount , but in fact they still wanted 20 euros. Of course I said" no thanks" and was heading out when I saw a woman holding two tickets heading to the door, but she was alone, so I just asked her if she had an extra, and she said "Yes I do" and gave me a ticket :) So in I trotted.

And it was a HOT day, lovely sun etc.....and I headed straight to the gardens. I LOVED the "fairy garden" , it was so beautiful and the children who passed it were drawn in like bees to flowers. It made for some great "people watching". I admit I had only planned to do quick walks around the gardens because I wanted to head over to the Donnellys tent to pick up some last minute deals on their gorgeous produce, but the weather was so nice and the gardens so beautiful this year, I spent a lot of my time there. The BLOOM book was now marked down to a fiver and included a free primrose plant, so I grabbed that too (MY mother lives in the West so she will appreciate this).
    I was also set on trying to get some raw honey, but I didn't see any honey for sale, despite their being the excellent 'Bee Keepers' tent.
    So got over the the food tents and just as I walked up, the boys doing the orange juices let out a yell " free oranges", haha....and the scrum began. I was just lucky I was standing right there and I got myself a lovely big bag of oranges. Then when I was leaving, a man tipped me and said "grab a plant, they are letting the displays go"...and so I got a huge gorgeous lettuce plant (and made a fantastic chicken salad with it later).......and when I got over to Donnelly's at last, they were selling the last of their beautiful strawberries, grabbed 2 for 5 and some good peppers, tomatoes, etc.....I was laden down already! I could have had a load more stuff if I wanted it....was hilarious watching everyone go mad for the deals.

Bottom line: for someone like me who wasn't going with anyone, last minute cheap grabs and gawks are fine. But I feel that indeed it IS worth it for those with children or those who are really into gardening and the like. There was a good fun atmosphere and loads and loads of things to look at.....but yes, you'd need your wallet to be filled with a bit more than leaves. I think it's a good idea to PLAN ahead for this event if you are a bit broke. Stick away a fiver a week and save to take the family on a good day out next year. Done this way you can enjoy it and not have to worry so much about penny counting.

Just my opinion :)

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I live very close to the Park and so I went to Bloom last year fairly late in the day. I had paid ahead of time with a discount so it was fine, think 15 or something.
    But as many here are not gardeners, etc, like myself, I can see why for some it's not worth it. Fair enough! Like it has been pointed out numerous times, there are loads of other things to do that one can avail of. I think the gardens are gorgeous to view, and because it's not my skill area at all, it's pretty awesome to see them up close.

So this year I didn't want to pay, figured I'd head over on the last day very late and have a quick gawk at the gardens before it closed, but guess what? They do not let you in for free in the last hour! I was surprised. I asked if they gave a discount , but in fact they still wanted 20 euros. Of course I said" no thanks" and was heading out when I saw a woman holding two tickets heading to the door, but she was alone, so I just asked her if she had an extra, and she said "Yes I do" and gave me a ticket :) So in I trotted.

And it was a HOT day, lovely sun etc.....and I headed straight to the gardens. I LOVED the "fairy garden" , it was so beautiful and the children who passed it were drawn in like bees to flowers. It made for some great "people watching". I admit I had only planned to do quick walks around the gardens because I wanted to head over to the Donnellys tent to pick up some last minute deals on their gorgeous produce, but the weather was so nice and the gardens so beautiful this year, I spent a lot of my time there. The BLOOM book was now marked down to a fiver and included a free primrose plant, so I grabbed that too (MY mother lives in the West so she will appreciate this).
    I was also set on trying to get some raw honey, but I didn't see any honey for sale, despite their being the excellent 'Bee Keepers' tent.
    So got over the the food tents and just as I walked up, the boys doing the orange juices let out a yell " free oranges", haha....and the scrum began. I was just lucky I was standing right there and I got myself a lovely big bag of oranges. Then when I was leaving, a man tipped me and said "grab a plant, they are letting the displays go"...and so I got a huge gorgeous lettuce plant (and made a fantastic chicken salad with it later).......and when I got over to Donnelly's at last, they were selling the last of their beautiful strawberries, grabbed 2 for 5 and some good peppers, tomatoes, etc.....I was laden down already! I could have had a load more stuff if I wanted it....was hilarious watching everyone go mad for the deals.

Bottom line: for someone like me who wasn't going with anyone, last minute cheap grabs and gawks are fine. But I feel that indeed it IS worth it for those with children or those who are really into gardening and the like. There was a good fun atmosphere and loads and loads of things to look at.....but yes, you'd need your wallet to be filled with a bit more than leaves.I think it's a good idea to PLAN ahead for this event if you are a bit broke. Stick away a fiver a week and save to take the family on a good day out next year. Done this way you can enjoy it and not have to worry so much about penny counting.
    Just my opinion :)

Even do this for 3-4 months before Bloom and it would pay for the tickets and go along way to a very enjoyable day,with some toys for the kids and plants/flowers for the parents.

Glad that you have a great time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Or you could spend 20 quid and bring sandwiches and bring home loads of ideas. I find ideas a really good bargain and easy carry too ;)

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Or you could spend 20 quid and bring sandwiches and bring home loads of ideas. I find ideas a really good bargain and easy carry too ;)

Hense us bringing along a nice big picnic and also bringing the 2 cameras.:)

Actually,alot of families had picnics with them.

Fantastic weather for it too.:D

Came home with a few different plants/flowers aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Paddy you clearly have a connection with Bloom. You have spammed this thread beyond belief and acted like a spoilt child. Steve made some fair points throughout and you made yourself look very silly thereafter.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Paddy you clearly have a connection with Bloom. You have spammed this thread beyond belief and acted like a spoilt child. Steve made some fair points throughout and you made yourself look very silly thereafter.

Quick,call Jeremy Kyle.:pac::pac:

Oh btw.....thanks for such a lovely 1st ever post on the gardening forum.;)

Just for you Tobyglen....heres last years Bloom.

Oh and look who started that thread and posted the pics.

Now I wonder Toby......:pac::pac::D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79002173

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

OFFS! If Paddy has some connection or not isn't clear. He is entitled to play with people a bit when they accuse him of spamming.
    Photos are a service not spam and so what if he has access that the rest of us mortals don't, we should be glad to have some 'behind the scenes' stuff from what is ,whether we like it or not the biggest gardening exhibit in Ireland.
    Scroll solves the problem if you don't want to read it.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    OFFS! If Paddy has some connection or not isn't clear. He is entitled to play with people a bit when they accuse him of spamming.
    Photos are a service not spam and so what if he has access that the rest of us mortals don't, we should be glad to have some 'behind the scenes' stuff from what is ,whether we like it or not the biggest gardening exhibit in Ireland.

I live to give.....:)

I must be the hardest working man in Ireland.

Because Ive been previously accused on Boards.ie of working for or having business/marketing sales connections to Tesco,Ikea,B&Q,Weatherseal Insulation,LVP Renewables,Heiton Buckley,and now Bloom....:pac::D

Oh and Seahorse Aquariams too,all because they built a large bespoke sumped aquariam system for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just for you Tobyglen....heres last years Bloom.

Oh and look who started that thread and posted the pics.

Now I wonder Toby......:pac::pac::D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79002173

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056288942:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dardevle wrote: »

So is that Bloom 2011 thread Biased or Unbiased then????:pac::pac:;)

Ah look who has surfaced again.....long time no see dardevle.

Hows she cuttin boy??..:pac::

Yep,as certain members here have said about me........I clearly must have direct connections to Bloom....:pac:

So Bloom 2014 is gonna be a cracker....:D:D

Oh and for anyone interested in this.....theres the upcomming Mallow Home & Garden Show to look forward to on 21st-23rd June.

http://www.exhibitionsireland.ie/home-garden-exhibition-mallow.html

And Yes,I obviously must have direct involvement/links to or a vested interest in this event too...:pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Oh Jasis don't start a thread on that too!
    Well do if you want but maybe stick to the photos, the sideshow takes away from a good thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement