Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom - overpriced?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,942 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as it's organised by bord bia, i don't know how much profit - if any - will be earned.
    comparing it to the zoo is an unfair comparison in a few ways; the zoo probably have few major infrastructure costs left to pay, and those that they do, can be paid from gate receipts earned the full year round, rather than over five days.
    plus, the staffing required at bloom at any one point in time is probably several times the staffing required in the zoo; add to that the fact that it's seasonal agency work so is probably more expensive on a per hour basis too. and they have to hire and set up their 'buildings', which the zoo does not have to worry about.
    then add public liability insurance on top of that.
    if the money they charged exhibitors had to cover the full cost of running the event, there simply would be no exhibition; it's not a zero cost affair for someone to set up a stand in bloom, even outside any fees charged.

that said, whether the ticket prices can be justified on a running costs basis, vs. a value for money for customers is obviously another matter. i did feel somewhat stung one year, paying €45 for two of us (€20 a head, €5 for parking).

i'm probably going to be there this year, manning a stand for a non-profit organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

flutered wrote: »
    is it possible to hire a disability scooter at bloom.

It is,wheelchairs aswell.

Theres a mobile garda office,event organisers office and medical station there.Theres usually also an ATM machine aswell.:)

as it's organised by bord bia, i don't know how much profit - if any - will be earned.
    comparing it to the zoo is an unfair comparison in a few ways; the zoo probably have few major infrastructure costs left to pay, and those that they do, can be paid from gate receipts earned the full year round, rather than over five days.
    plus, the staffing required at bloom at any one point in time is probably several times the staffing required in the zoo; add to that the fact that it's seasonal agency work so is probably more expensive on a per hour basis too. and they have to hire and set up their 'buildings', which the zoo does not have to worry about.
    then add public liability insurance on top of that.
    if the money they charged exhibitors had to cover the full cost of running the event, there simply would be no exhibition; it's not a zero cost affair for someone to set up a stand in bloom, even outside any fees charged.

that said, whether the ticket prices can be justified on a running costs basis, vs. a value for money for customers is obviously another matter. i did feel somewhat stung one year, paying €45 for two of us (€20 a head, €5 for parking).

i'm probably going to be there this year, manning a stand for a non-profit organisation.

We might drop by and say hello then.Feel free to PM me what organisation you are representing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Paddy are you associated with the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hootanany wrote: »
    I have went to several County fares in the US never have I ever had to pay in to them.
    Do the Stall holders pay for the privilege to be there, if so why the entrance charge.
    Begs of pure greed to me.

Where any of them located in Central Park? Temporary events like this are expensive to run,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

We are giving away two tickets each day next weekend at Connacht Gold, Westport during our hanging basket weekend. Call in any of the days and enter the free draw. You could make a weekend of it and enjoy Westport to boot...

Hootanany wrote: »
    Paddy are you associated with the event.

Nope,nothing to do with Bloom at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »
    Nope,nothing to do with Bloom at all.

Bloom ...in association with................... OPW!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any bloom discounts out there in cyberworld???

fryup wrote: »
    any bloom discounts out there in cyberworld???

None that I know of.

They were installing the traffic matting this morning.

Had a quick nosey around over there this morning.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Have to agree that 20 euro is a major disincentive however exciting or worthy Bloom is. Not the kind of money I'd expect to pay for a visit to a garden exhibition. But if as various posters are saying that Bloom has more than enough visitors at that price - well good luck to them - why would they care about the likes of me. It looks like I'm in the minority. However if they ever want to survey me on why I don't go I can tell them its the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭emo72

went the last couple of years. this year is probably a bridge too far for me and my kid. wish it was a bit cheaper this year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

FIR13 for a 2 euro discount

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Moll'll fix it

Anyone know if dogs allowed into Bloom?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Have to agree that 20 euro is a major disincentive however exciting or worthy Bloom is. Not the kind of money I'd expect to pay for a visit to a garden exhibition. But if as various posters are saying that Bloom has more than enough visitors at that price - well good luck to them - why would they care about the likes of me. It looks like I'm in the minority. However if they ever want to survey me on why I don't go I can tell them its the price.

I vaguely remember the first year being quite cheap and then because it was a success, the 2nd year was expensive. Then the numbers fell and they reduced it again. So maybe they do take notice. Im sure you could email them.
    Then again would you have gone for €15 euro as was offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

This is the first time I have no plans for the weekend Bloom was on and was thinking about going but the price is a disincentive for me. While I understand there are people who enjoy the event and are willing to pay €20 in, it does nothing to attract new visitors.

Will probably go to the garden exhibition centre instead as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Funnily enough I asked a friend if he was interested in going this year and the answer was an emphatic no. It is too expensive for what it is and even more so for those who have to travel any distance. It's a difficult balance for the organisers but they really need to find ways to make it better value for money.

I wonder do people actually understand what goes into the making of Bloom,and what is involved in putting it all together.

I had a nice walk around it this morning.Had a chat with some friend of ours who are working and displaying there.

Serious work involved in it for 4 weeks before Bloom even starts.:)

personally, I just dont get the negativity about the price.
    €15 for a full day out with much to see and do.
    Even €20 euro a head

You cant compare it with the national garden centre.
    Its a show and I dont see how it can be done cheaper
    Hire of the site
    Hire of the parking and crew
    Safety crew
    Live music
    All the show gardens
    All the show marquees
    All the sellers stands
    Food\Drink
    Kids entertainment
    garden experts giving talks and advice
    Demostrations
    Advertising
    etc etc

I think people just expect too much for a one off yearly event that is the only one of its kind in Ireland and I dont think anyone could organise something like this for less. EVERYTHING you could possibly think of connected with gardening will be there in a well orgainsed and safe environment

(you just beat me Paddy!)

Oh and there will be free wheelchairs and mobility scooters for OAPs.......and only guide dogs are allowed into Bloom.

• Advertisement

personally, I just dont get the negativity about the price.
    €15 for a full day out with much to see and do.
    Even €20 euro a head

You cant compare it with the national garden centre.
    Its a show and I dont see how it can be done cheaper
    Hire of the site
    Hire of the parking and crew
    Safety crew
    Live music
    All the show gardens
    All the show marquees
    All the sellers stands
    Food\Drink
    Kids entertainment
    garden experts giving talks and advice
    Demostrations
    Advertising
    etc etc

I think people just expect too much for a one off yearly event that is the only one of its kind in Ireland and I dont think anyone could organise something like this for less. EVERYTHING you could possibly think of connected with gardening will be there in a well orgainsed and safe environment

(you just beat me Paddy!)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1 to ALL THE ABOVE.:)

RTE camera crews were there this morning filming.

There will be a programme on in the next month about how Bloom is put together and the building/making of it.:)

I also saw the "Super Garden" show garden and spoke to the shows winner too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Guys, thats for all the informative information. I understand all the expense that goes into it but I still feel €20 is to expensive (for me) and here is why.

I have only a passing interest in gardening and dont have any interest in any talks / advice seminars / demonstrations.

We have 2 small kids, nearly 4 and nearly 2, so while there might be kids entertainment, ours generally shy away from things like that and clling to us like glue. maybe that will change as they get older.

We were thinking of going down to have a wander around for an hour or so, not spend the whole day there going round and round, looking at everything in great detail.

with regard to the seller stands / food and drink, i dont accept these are valid reasons to have a cover charge because they generate revenue from the weekend, so presumably pay to have their stalls there as any shop normally pays rent.

if the good people who organise bloom are happy to charge €20, they are well within their rights to and i'm sure they have done their research and will get plenty of interest.

stevieob wrote: »
    Guys, thats for all the informative information. I understand all the expense that goes into it but I still feel €20 is to expensive (for me) and here is why.

I have only a passing interest in gardening and dont have any interest in any talks / advice seminars / demonstrations.

We have 2 small kids, nearly 4 and nearly 2, so while there might be kids entertainment, ours generally shy away from things like that and clling to us like glue. maybe that will change as they get older.

We were thinking of going down to have a wander around for an hour or so, not spend the whole day there going round and round, looking at everything in great detail.

with regard to the seller stands / food and drink, i dont accept these are valid reasons to have a cover charge because they generate revenue from the weekend, so presumably pay to have their stalls there as any shop normally pays rent.

if the good people who organise bloom are happy to charge €20, they are well within their rights to and i'm sure they have done their research and will get plenty of interest.

Maybe you should talk to and complain to the event organisers and ask them why its 20 euro in...because you seem absolutely fixated on the price and nothing else,even when others are explaining things to you.You should go back and read the posts again.

You do understand how big and vast bloom is,and the variety of things to do and see....dont you????

You wont see it all in an hour,trust me.You will barely scratch the surface.

If the price is too much for you,then theres plenty of other things for you to do that weekend,that wont cost you 20 euro.

Regards.

And this too...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

It's all a bit subjective really...

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Why can't those boosting Bloom just accept that lots of people think it is too expensive. When I consider a daytime outing I'd actually be put off by anything more than 5-7 euro as an entry fee whether an exhibition/gallery or similar.

That's it - just an opinion.

Why can't those boosting Bloom just accept that lots of people think it is too expensive. When I consider a daytime outing I'd actually be put off by anything more than 5-7 euro as an entry fee whether an exhibition/gallery or similar.

That's it - just an opinion.

Well as allready posted and stated by others and myself,you dont have to go to Bloom 2013........plenty of other things to see and do this bank holiday weekend.

1 such event being the Docklands maritime festival with 5 tall ships and boat trips up and down the River Liffey.
    Theres also the Flora womens mini marathon......if you feel the urge to run/jog.
    Or you could take a walk down the East Pier in Dún Laoghaire with an ice cream,and listen to the busking and jazz music.

http://www.visitdublin.com/event/dublin_port_river_fest

http://www.visitdublin.com/event/Flora_Womens_Mini_Marathon

Theres also the Heatwave Modified car show and 1/4 mile drag strip event in Fairyhouse Racecoarse this weekend.

http://www.dublin.ie/calendar_details.aspx?eventid=4172

http://www.motorshowsirl.com/#!__heatwave-site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

20 euro for a car show! You could nearly get into Bloom for that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement