Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom 2012 Pictures.

Options
  • 02-06-2012 9:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my family went to Bloom today.

Just as we arrived is started to rain.But that wasnt going to stop us enjoying Bloom this year.

Main thing we noted,was the vast array of plants and flowers this year.

The show gardens were great.
    We especially liked the "Rabbit Garden" that won Supergarden,the school children garden,and also the garden for the blind.

I loved how the rabbit garden made great use of old scaffolding planks to make all the raised planters and also the garden table.The water feature was an old water/immersion tank cut in half (very clever indeed).

The walled kitchen gardens were in absolutely amazing condition,and full respect to the 2 head gardeners for their hard work in making them look so beautifull.:D

Loads of traders stands and plants to be bought,some great bargains too.There didnt seem to be too many traders selling native Irish plants though.

We really enjoyed the day out and credit to the people who make Bloom what it is.

My girlfriend and daughter went off searching for and buying various plants and flowers,and we all had a great day.

For anyone who has not been to Bloom 2012,get your backsides over there by Monday,otherwize you will have missed a great day out for the family.

PS-Please feel free to add any pics that any of you took of this years Bloom.:)

My pics (lots of them )

DSCF0591.jpg
    DSCF0592.jpg
    DSCF0594.jpg
    DSCF0596.jpg
    DSCF0598.jpg
    DSCF0599.jpg
    DSCF0601.jpg
    DSCF0603.jpg
    DSCF0604.jpg
    DSCF0605.jpg
    DSCF0607.jpg
    DSCF0608.jpg
    DSCF0610.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

More pics.

DSCF0612.jpg
    DSCF0616.jpg
    DSCF0618.jpg
    DSCF0621.jpg
    DSCF0622.jpg
    DSCF0626.jpg
    DSCF0630.jpg
    DSCF0633.jpg
    DSCF0634.jpg
    DSCF0637.jpg
    DSCF0637.jpg
    DSCF0638.jpg

Some more pics.

DSCF0639.jpg
    DSCF0640.jpg
    DSCF0645.jpg
    DSCF0652.jpg
    DSCF0656.jpg
    DSCF0658-1.jpg
    DSCF0662.jpg
    DSCF0664.jpg
    DSCF0666.jpg
    DSCF0669.jpg
    DSCF0670.jpg
    DSCF0678.jpg
    DSCF0682-1.jpg

1 more pic (rabbit hutch with built in undergrass tunnel).

DSCF0615.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

Was here myself today. Your photos are brill, well done. I was there at opening time 10am and the sun shone until the afternoon - left just in time for the rain and picked up a few plants too. It's a great day out for families and somebody there for everybody. A really great day and congrats to all at Bloom for yet another fantastic show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Nice pics paddy
    thanks for posting

• Advertisement

The rain worked to our advantage.

Everyone ran for the large tented village and the tented eating area.

So we more or less had a free run of Bloom and the show gardens.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

paddy147 wrote: »
    DSCF0621.jpg
    DSCF0634.jpg

That's lovely, I wouldn't be a fan of garden gardens :o but I'm liking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Great photos Paddy, thanks. Really looking forward to going on Monday

Can I just say this to anyone going by car and who will be parking up in the red or green carparks......

The carparks are grass carparks and in some cases the grass is dense and allmost 2 feet high in places.The security guard was sending us into another field along with other cars,and we said no way to him.

The grass was up to the top of the front wing of the car,and my girlfriend said there was no way she was driving the car into that particular field.

Now with all the rain thats falling at the moment and the heavy rainfall that is forecast for tomorrow,I rekon the grass carparks will become one giant mudbath.

So be prepared for a rather muddy scene tomorrow and Monday.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thanks Paddy, been every year since it started, usually very muddy.

Going MOnday, cos thats when they reduce the prices even more! ;)

• Advertisement

The oriental show garden was lovely,and the young lad sitting in the middle of it playing the banjo style instrument was great.

He was playing a real "Irish" style bit of traditional music and he was giving it the beans too playing.
    Catchy little tune and he had alot of people watching him and applauding him too.

Well worth a look.:)

DSCF0603.jpg

A few more pics from Bloom 2021 that we took.

There was a themed garden based on the kids cartoon called The Lorax.My daughter liked that garden.

Also some rather funky looking chicken coops and ones on wheels too (handy for moving around)

Also 3 different companies promoting and selling rainwater harvesting products.Allways good to see,especially with the pending arrival of these "IMF" water meters.

DSCF0658-1.jpg
    DSCF0668.jpg
    DSCF0671.jpg
    DSCF0672.jpg
    DSCF0631.jpg
    DSCF0677.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Great pictures Paddy, I've still not managed to get up to the show gardens but I'm gonna come in early tomorrow and try have a run around.

It's funny that ye were right beside me at one point judging from the pictures.

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Great pictures Paddy, I've still not managed to get up to the show gardens but I'm gonna come in early tomorrow and try have a run around.

It's funny that ye were right beside me at one point judging from the pictures.

Where would you have been then?

We May be back over at Bloom tomorrow,as my girlferiend has made a few new plant supply contacts and wants to drop back over and chat with them some more.:)

PS-It will be 4 x 4 jeep and wellies at the ready too for tomorrow.:D

Where would you have been then?

We May be back over at Bloom tomorrow,as my girlferiend has made a few new plant supply contacts and wants to drop back over and chat with them some more.:)

PS-It will be 4 x 4 jeep and wellies at the ready too for tomorrow.:D

My boss very kindly gave me today off (I'm sure they are regretting it now), I was just thinking about the parking though, I know the first Bloom it rained much worse then this and it was still ok. I park up the front just off the track so I'm think I should be ok for tomorrow.

Really annoying though as my wellies just split last week and I've not had a chance to replace them yet.

My boss very kindly gave me today off (I'm sure they are regretting it now), I was just thinking about the parking though, I know the first Bloom it rained much worse then this and it was still ok. I park up the front just off the track so I'm think I should be ok for tomorrow.

Really annoying though as my wellies just split last week and I've not had a chance to replace them yet.

Stick a pair of shoping bags inside your wellies.
    You will be a walking advert for Tesco or Supervalue.:D

The security guard sent us into an overgrown field yesterday (grass allmost up to bonnet) and we said no way.:eek:

So if we are going back over tomorrow (which we will most likely do) we will be using the jeep,so we dont have any problems with overgrown fields,mud and geting stuck.

I got stuck before,years ago at the motor racing in the park,and after that I swore never again.;)

Stick a pair of shoping bags inside your wellies.
    You will be a walking advert for Tesco or Supervalue
    .:D

The security guard sent us into an overgrown field yesterday (grass allmost up to bonnet) and we said no way.:eek:

So if we are going back over tomorrow (which we will most likely do) we will be using the jeep,so we dont have any problems with overgrown fields,mud and geting stuck.

I got stuck before,years ago at the motor racing in the park,and after that I swore never again.;)

Haha, god I might just have to do that!...I remember when I was little my mother would wrap my feet and hands in bags if it was snowing out(I did have gloves on but they'd be soaked through) always use to drive me mad, didn't think I'd have to do it again as an adult.

Haha, god I might just have to do that!...I remember when I was little my mother would wrap my feet and hands in bags if it was snowing out(I did have gloves on but they'd be soaked through) always use to drive me mad, didn't think I'd have to do it again as an adult.

Yep,I know that feeling,or else a pair of yellow marigolds under the black gloves when cycling to school each morning.:D

Your fingers would be cut off you with the frost,snow and biting cold winds,if you didnt have the marigolds on under your gloves.:eek:

PS-Do go and have a look at the show gardens.You shall not be disappointed.

The walled kitchen gardens also now have 2 bee hives with bees.

Well worth a look to see the beehives up close and how the honey bees operate.

The gardens are alive with the honey bees on all the plants and fruit and veg.:D

Pics of the beehives.:)

DSCF0593.jpg
    DSCF9530.jpg
    DSCF9531.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Nice pics, any idea on prices on them chicken houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi p147.nice photos.just back from bloom .great day out .never mind the drissel:Dponddigger:D ps p147.what was your fav garden

shamcfc wrote: »
    Nice pics, any idea on prices on them chicken houses

From around 400 euro upwards.The really really big coops cost more.

They are huge chicken coops,they really are,and very very well built.

My girlfriend is eyeing 1 up for keeping 2 chickens in the back garden.

2 fresh eggs every day....Yummy.:D

DSCF0654.jpg

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi p147.nice photos.just back from bloom .great day out .never mind the drissel:Dponddigger:D ps p147.what was your fav garden

Hi Ponddigger.:)

I liked them all,as they are all lovely and unique in their own way.

But for me it was the "rabbit garden" and alsio the waterfall/Stream garden that did it for me.

Also the cottage garden too.

Combine all 3 of those,and that would be my ideal garden.

The water fall flowing into the stream and pond,,then the used scaffold planks for raised beds and seating areas and then a part of the garden for wild flowers/meadow style garden.

Bit of a pik n mix for me:D

DSCF0640.jpg
    DSCF0615.jpg
    DSCF0638.jpg

After going on Saturday and not geting to see enough of Bloom (due to the rain) we went back to Bloom today,and it was rather busy.

Sun was out,so too were the crowds and everyone was after a bargain with regards buying up all the display plants and flowers.

The grass carparks didnt end up too muddy afterall,but we took the jeep just incase.

Plenty of stuff for the kids to do and make.

Also a good selection of Irish food stalls and drinks stalls too.

Lots of farm animals too.

Brilliant day out,yet again.

Got back in for 10 euro each too,after I chanced my arm and asked for a cheaper entry price.My girlfriend and daughter bought some more plants and flowers.

We took the "scenic" route accross the field to get out of the carpark and back on to a tarmac road,and it worked out nicely too,as we avoided the masive que to get out the Ashtown Gate exit.

Bloom 2012 was great and congratts to the people who made it happen.

Roll on Bloom 2013.:D

DSCF0700.jpg
    DSCF0701.jpg
    DSCF0702.jpg
    DSCF0705.jpg
    DSCF0710.jpg
    DSCF0712.jpg
    DSCF0714.jpg
    DSCF0715.jpg
    DSCF0718.jpg
    DSCF0721.jpg
    DSCF0736.jpg
    DSCF0744.jpg
    DSCF0749.jpg
    DSCF0750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Finally got there today - fab day for it too. Crowds were quite large but I really enjoyed the day.

The way some people were running from stall to stall and buying up the various plants,you would swear that there was never going to be another plant for sale,ever again anywhere.

Madness.:D

The way some people were running from stall to stall and buying up the various plants,you would swear that there was never going to be another plant for sale,ever again anywhere.

Madness.:D

Yeah there were some pretty intense bargain hunters floating about yesterday, almost felt like they couldn't care less about the plant just as long as they could say they got a bargain.

Glad it's all over, already making plans for next year.

Back to the real world today. How I've missed my greenhouses.

Yeah there were some pretty intense bargain hunters floating about yesterday, almost felt like they couldn't care less about the plant just as long as they could say they got a bargain.

Glad it's all over, already making plans for next year.

Back to the real world today. How I've missed my greenhouses.

Yeah,we saw some people (not the Bloom helpers) loading up wheelbarrows and large suitcases and going off down to the carpark with so much stuff,that they couldnt even see where they were going.I got a whack of a wheelbarrow twice.:(:D

We decided to plant some of the plants we bought,at around 10pm last night in the garden.Didnt fancy leaving them out in pots overnight,so my girlfriend got stuck in and planted them as darkness was falling last night.

Hope you enjoyed Bloom yourself??:)

Did you have a trade stand there yourself,and if so then I hope you did very well on the plant sales and getting new customers.:)

PS-I pitty all the lads and lasses who have to take everything apart,and turn Bloom back into open green space today,in all that that rain.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Clementine2010

My other half said its like paying into a big Woodies, just a big shopping experience, personally thought it was a great day out, plenty to see and do and well worth the entrance fee. Great photos as I couldn't even get near some of the show gardens with the 10 deep crowds of people

• Advertisement

Hope you enjoyed Bloom yourself??:)

Did you have a trade stand there yourself,and if so then I hope you did very well on the plant sales and getting new customers.:)

PS-I pitty all the lads and lasses who have to take everything apart,and turn Bloom back into open green space today,in all that that rain.:(

Yes I was on a trade stand, we did very well and got a lot of advertising. Nice as well as we got a lot of compliments on our plants.

I really enjoyed the first few days but I have to say my patience kinda ran out by yesterday evening, it was great to be back in the nursery today just to have a bit of quiet.

We finished up by about nine last night and it was already fairly dismantled by the time we left, trying to get as much done before the rain came in.

Advertisement