Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom - overpriced?

Options
  • 16-05-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else think Bloom is way overpriced?

Was thinking of heading down with the missus and the kids but no way in hell are we paying 40 blips to go to it.

is there anywhere we could get very discounted tickets or even freebies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

People shouls vote with their feet and. Then they will reduce the entry price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

stevieob wrote: »

Was thinking of heading down with the missus and the kids but no way in hell are we paying 40 blips to go to it.

It was 15 per adult euro if you payed online,but I think the date for that has passed....(Wednesday 15th)

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/promo/toc7ho?camefrom=CFC_IE_AFF_BLOOM&brand=ie_bloom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much is a trip to the cinema these days?
    i suspect bloom is a very expensive event to stage.

how much is a trip to the cinema these days?
    i suspect bloom is a very expensive event to stage.

Well we enjoyed it last year.Lots for the kids to see and do too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

40quid for a family day out? Seems reasonable to me!

• Advertisement

40quid for a family day out? Seems reasonable to me!

Its cheaper than a family day trip to Dublin Zoo...(45 euro 50 cents for 2 adults and 2 kids....50 euro if you have 3 kids)

Both Bloom and Dublin Zoo are 2 good days out for the family.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's not too far off. To compare...if you take the smaller UK garden shows... hampton court and tatton park... those are £29 and £23 for day passes... (34 euro and 27).

Bloom is still cheaper, but I guess it would want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Inside Keeling's Strawberry you can find a voucher for 5€ discount. If you are lucky you can even win a family ticket.

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Inside Keeling's Strawberry you can find a voucher for 5€ discount. If you are lucky you can even win a family ticket.

How much are the strawberries??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

paddy147 wrote: »
    How much are the strawberries??:)

2 X 5 in the local Tesco

• Advertisement

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    2 X 5 in the local Tesco

So realisticly,you are saving 2 euro 50 cents on each adult ticket.

Well something is better than nothing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well a couple of weeks ago we went to the Ideal Homes in the RDS. We got free tickets in the door and to be honest, I would never go again if they paid me, let alone pay into the place.

At the end of the day, the Ideal Homes was a big shop with loads of stalls with people selling you stuff. So (with exception of free passes) you are paying to go into a shop. It would be no different than paying at the door to go into Dundrum shopping centre!

Now I know Bloom aint the Ideal Homes, but is the principle not something similar. Loads of people inside trying to get you to part with your money? I have never been, but have heard what people have had to say, and anyone I have ever spoken to about it, says it is not worth €20 entrance fee. Even at €15 I think it is overpriced.

Now to compare it with the Zoo is just being un-realistic in my opinion. Dublin Zoo is a charity and needs to raise funds to help in the conservation and protection of wildlife. A visit there gives you the opportunity to see some amazing animals. For €100 a year, we get a family pass and we can go as often as we like, so it works out very cheap per visit.

The Botanical Gardens would surely be a more realistic comparison. How much is it to go there? Oh yea, it's free. Sure maybe head up to the Gardens around Farmleigh up the road, also free...

I understand the Bloomin people will charge what people are willing to pay, and my opinion is that €20 is way overpriced. I would struggle to pay €10 to something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Well a couple of weeks ago we went to the Ideal Homes in the RDS. We got free tickets in the door and to be honest, I would never go again if they paid me, let alone pay into the place.

At the end of the day, the Ideal Homes was a big shop with loads of stalls with people selling you stuff. So (with exception of free passes) you are paying to go into a shop. It would be no different than paying at the door to go into Dundrum shopping centre!

Now I know Bloom aint the Ideal Homes, but is the principle not something similar. Loads of people inside trying to get you to part with your money? I have never been, but have heard what people have had to say, and anyone I have ever spoken to about it, says it is not worth €20 entrance fee. Even at €15 I think it is overpriced.

Now to compare it with the Zoo is just being un-realistic in my opinion. Dublin Zoo is a charity and needs to raise funds to help in the conservation and protection of wildlife. A visit there gives you the opportunity to see some amazing animals. For €100 a year, we get a family pass and we can go as often as we like, so it works out very cheap per visit.

The Botanical Gardens would surely be a more realistic comparison. How much is it to go there? Oh yea, it's free. Sure maybe head up to the Gardens around Farmleigh up the road, also free...

I understand the Bloomin people will charge what people are willing to pay, and my opinion is that €20 is way overpriced. I would struggle to pay €10 to something like that.

You don't have to go OP, plenty of other attractions around Dublin for free.

Tell you what then.....

DONT GO...............(nobody is forcing you to go).

And a family pass for the year is alot more than 100 euro for Dublin Zoo.Its actually 168 euro.

https://www.dublinzoo.ie/68/Annual-Pass.aspx

Bloom 2012 thread with pictures taken by ourselves.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79002173

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

National garden centre in Wicklow is free for 2013, 20 minutes from dublin

http://www.gardenexhibition.ie/contact.html

They have a lovely cafe that serves a good lunch for reasonable prices

ted1 wrote: »
    National garden centre in Wicklow is free for 2013, 20 minutes from dublin

http://www.gardenexhibition.ie/contact.html

They have a lovely cafe that serves a good lunch for reasonable prices

Thread here with pics...;):D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83890114

Also Mount Usher Gardens in Ashford,County Wicklow.

7 euro 50 cents admission.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056927198

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tell you what then.....

DONT GO...............(nobody is forcing you to go).

And a family pass for the year is alot more than 100 euro for Dublin Zoo.Its actually 168 euro.

https://www.dublinzoo.ie/68/Annual-Pass.aspx

Paddy, in all fairness stevieob is making a case for his point of view... one a few of us would agree with.

You are basically disregarding his point of view and substituting it with yours.

Also putting "DONT GO..............." as a reply is one of the most childish replys i have seen in a thread.

Access wrote: »
    Paddy, in all fairness stevieob is making a case for his point of view... one a few of us would agree with.

You are basically disregarding his point of view and substituting it with yours.

Also putting "DONT GO..............." as a reply is one of the most childish replys i have seen in a thread.

The OP has never been to Bloom,and doesnt know anything about it and what events are at it,but he is complaining about the price of admission.

Well,if the OP thinks its too expensive before even going to it and seeing whats on offer for all the family,then simply dont go to it and do something else instead.

Bloom is a great event for all the family,and the event organizers also have to pay a fee to the OPW for the use of land in the Phoenix Park that is used to host Bloom.This fee also included managing the land (post Bloom) to bring it back to what it was before Bloom.

That has a bearing on the ticket prices.

20 euro per adult (40 euro for the entire family) for a great day out is good for me anyway.:)

PS-Theres a dockland festival on the same weekend as Bloom,there will be a few tall ships comming into Dublin Port.

Maybe that might be of interest to the OP,as he wont have to pay to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

As probably the best garden show in Ireland, I think its worth it.
    Theres always a few deals going anyway.
    But for a one off event you get
    The show gardens including the veg plots
    Entertainment
    Kids stuff
    Exhibitors They have cheap show prices generally plus they tend to sell stuff real cheap at the end rather than pack it up
    Furniture, plants, mowers everything and everything!
    Demos
    Various free stuff apples, umbrellas etc (look for the woodies stand and the organic stand for kids
    You get to chat with helpful people\designers etc
    The huge marqkees with all sorts of exhibits, ferns, floral stuff just like the UK shows some of which get sold off

This year kids go free, so normally 2 adults max is €40 but as said can be cheaper

I am a bit confused though, the bloom in ireland website say €20 on site or €15 in advance but when you go through to ticketmaster only €20 seems avaialble

Its a one stop show for everything related to gardening, info on courses, healty eating starting a veg patch, evereything!
    All in all a cool day, especially if the weather holds

As probably the best garden show in Ireland, I think its worth it.
    Theres always a few deals going anyway.
    But for a one off event you get
    The show gardens including the veg plots
    Entertainment
    Kids stuff
    Exhibitors They have cheap show prices generally plus they tend to sell stuff real cheap at the end rather than pack it up
    Furniture, plants, mowers everything and everything!
    Demos
    Various free stuff apples, umbrellas etc (look for the woodies stand and the organic stand for kids
    You get to chat with helpful people\designers etc
    The huge marqkees with all sorts of exhibits, ferns, floral stuff just like the UK shows some of which get sold off

This year kids go free, so normally 2 adults max is €40 but as said can be cheaper

I am a bit confused though, the bloom in ireland website say €20 on site or €15 in advance but when you go through to ticketmaster only €20 seems avaialble

Its a one stop show for everything related to gardening, info on courses, healty eating starting a veg patch, evereything!
    All in all a cool day, especially if the weather holds

+1...a great day out for all the family.

Theres also the kids workshops where thay can plant flowers and make things from wood and various other bits and bobs.

The workshop on bees and how honey is made too.

Think you had to book the tickets by Wednesday 15th to get the cheaper price.

After that date,its back to full price.

"IMPORTANT: The advance online booking offer for Bloom 2013 tickets will cease on Wednesday 15th May 2013. Normal on site prices will apply from that date."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Paddy like Access says I think you are being childish with your DONT GO.

Until Sgt Pepper posted, the only thing that has been said in favour of Bloom, was that it was a great day out for the family. no elaboration at all, so thanks to Sgt Pepper for actually putting up a case for Bloom.

and i most likely wont go to Bloom. i was asking for opinions and giving mine. at least Sgt Pepper had the decency to give reasons for paying into Bloom.

PS a single pass for the zoo was only 100 last year when we got it, which allows two adults entry and kids under 3 are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Until Sgt Pepper posted, the only thing that has been said in favour of Bloom, was that it was a great day out for the family. no elaboration at all, so thanks to Sgt Pepper for actually putting up a case for Bloom.

and i most likely wont go to Bloom. i was asking for opinions and giving mine. at least Sgt Pepper had the decency to give reasons for paying into Bloom.

PS a single pass for the zoo was only 100 last year when we got it, which allows two adults entry and kids under 3 are free.

Thanks Stevie.
    I guess for me I'm a bit lazy, and Bloom is a once a year show that brings everything to town sort of thing. You can see new ideas, for growing and design and I'm sick of watching shows like Chelsea etc in the UK, so its great that Ireland has something like for ourselves.
    It saves you wandering around from garden centre to garden centre as they come to you!
    Plus I always go on the last day when they sell off the plants and I quite enjoy eyeing up a few plants and then joining the scrum to get them.
    I know €40 is a lot these days but if you intend to buy anything for the garden in the near or even far future, you can pretty much expect to see it "in the flesh" as it were, rather than online and its all in one (big) handy location.
    Sheds, water features, lights, conservatorys greenhouses, outside and inside seating, all the sort of things you want to inspect up close and personal before buying!

Theres so much, you forget theres the actual gardens to look at.
    And a lot of the show gardens have free samples and offers associated with them like jars of honey last year for the nature garden

It has a feel of a large country fair to it.
    I failed to mention the artisan foods they have on sale there as well, jams, fish, meat, breads of every description. Theres also a lot of free samples of everything, seeds, apples and god knows what else! and competitions.
    Ive even seen fashion shoes and paintings there
    Last year we had to "like" someone on facebook to get a "full irish" pack of sauso's bacon, pudding etc

In fact, I think thats the best description of it. A big country fair.
    Theres loads of seated eating areas and bands playing, although some of the mobile food places can be a bit pricey.
    And we always came away laden with bags

Plus, if you go very very late, they let you in free for the last hour or so!
    (but dont tell anyone!)

I would recommend anyone with an interest in gardening to go at least once and make up your own mind

As Paddy said, if you have kids, theres face painting and all sorts of making stuff they can take away after, plus games and fun education.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I have went to several County fares in the US never have I ever had to pay in to them.
    Do the Stall holders pay for the privilege to be there, if so why the entrance charge.
    Begs of pure greed to me.

Its rather futile to comlpain about the admission,and try to compare it to other shows or places,when you have never been to Bloom and dont know what is on offer at this family event.

In fact its absolutely pointless to compare the Bloom Festival to the Ideal Home Show or what you would see in the Botanic Gardens.

Maybe you should take a trip to Bloom,see what Bloom is all about and see what its like for you and your family 1st.

If you dont want to go or have no intention of going.......then why are you complaining about it????

PS-My post with pics of Bloom 2012 is at the top of this page.Post 16

If you actually look at that,then you might actually see a big difference between Bloom,IHS and Botanic Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Paddy, I take your point totally.

But you dont need to actually tell the person not to go if they dont like it. And especially like the way you responded.

Paddy you are a great boardsie for responding to queries on boards and especially with the photos and all, and many the time you have helped me and others out with queries with everything from lighting, DIY, gardening, right down to bargain alerts etc. but responding like that to a person on boards who states their particular point of view of a subject wrecks all that previous helpful input you have ever had IMHO.

Anyway on the thread topic, our family has previously attended Bloom on two occasions and while it was good, the only reason we went back the second time was because a family member was exhibiting at a stand and we got free passes on that occasion.

I personally think €10 per adult is the right price point for Bloom. Dont be under any illusion that bloom are not making money... revenue from stand holders alone would well cover the running costs of the event never mind gate receipts. At €10 there would be a higher gate attendance as common business practices would vouch for - drop the price = more attendance.

Well Im sure Bloom 2013 will be packed out again this year,just like it was last year.

And there will be many happy people too.

We were there on the Sunday last year,and when we went back on the rainy Monday last year,it was mad busy on the Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

is it possible to hire a disability scooter at bloom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement