Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

I'm flying out on EI762 tomorrow morning which departs at 7:40am, wonder how long I'll be waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Let's be absolutely clear here:

Airline timetables show departure and arrival times.

These are the times the aircraft is scheduled to start pushing back from the gate, and the time they are due to arrive on stand and engines shut down at the arrival airport.

Take-off and landing times are irrelevant as the timetable includes time for taxi to and from the runway, and will generally include recovery time for delays en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not sure how they calculate their published stats but the flight time is from push back/arrival on stand so if a flight to Manchester is due to depart at 06.30 and arrive at 07.35 the clock starts ticking once push back starts. It;s not runway departure to runway arrival.

If I recall correctly Ryanair considers "on time" to be within fifteen minutes of schedule.

I vaguely recall having a flight in the past where the jingle was played on touchdown only for us to wait quite a while for the gate.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Noxegon wrote: »
    Not sure how they calculate their published stats but the flight time is from push back/arrival on stand so if a flight to Manchester is due to depart at 06.30 and arrive at 07.35 the clock starts ticking once push back starts. It;s not runway departure to runway arrival.

If I recall correctly Ryanair considers "on time" to be within fifteen minutes of schedule.

I vaguely recall having a flight in the past where the jingle was played on touchdown only for us to wait quite a while for the gate.

As do most airlines as per IATA regs. Just because a cabin crew member presses play on the PA system doesn't mean that it goes into the statistics as an on time arrival. Also the new jingle doesn't actually say you've arrived on time, it just says thanks for flying Ryanair and last year over 90% of flights arrived on time.

In regards to the new runway. There are certainly some times of the day when the new runway is already needed and has been for a while like the morning rush. It would also help enormously with weather delays like fog allowing increased amount of arrivals and departures due to the increased separation requirements. Let's get it built now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Also the new jingle doesn't actually say you've arrived on time, it just says thanks for flying Ryanair and last year over 90% of flights arrived on time.

How new is that jingle? The one I had in November said I've arrived on time like 90% of other Ryanair flights blah blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Carnacalla wrote: »
    How new is that jingle? The one I had in November said I've arrived on time like 90% of other Ryanair flights blah blah blah.

I recall been on a flight to AGP in late May 2015 (last year), when I heard the "toned down" version for the first time.

Have heard the same jingle many times since then and as recently as last Tuesday night.

So based on that, it's relatively new to my mind. :)i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I recall been on a flight to AGP in late May 2015 (last year), when I heard the "toned down" version for the first time.

Have heard the same jingle many times since then and as recently as last Tuesday night.

So based on that, it's relatively new to my mind. :)i

Introduced as part of the 'Always Getting Better' programme, the jingle was brought in in early 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Introduced as part of the 'Always Getting Better' programme, the jingle was brought in in early 2015.

Yes I remember that it was officially announced in March of 2015 and I had my first experience of it a couple of weeks after it went operational in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Good news possibly. Council are reviewing plans to see if the planning restrictions will impact on the airports long term operations. http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/council-to-assess-dublin-airports-runway-plan-in-major-review-34862287.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/night-flights-over-south-dublin-during-runway-overhaul-1.2714068

15 months of RWY16/34 use between 11pm and 5am. Will this be weather dependant?

Again, to the intelligent residents, the airport and it's runways have been there alot longer than most of you have lived there or even been alive, if you move under a flightpath, you have no right to complain imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/night-flights-over-south-dublin-during-runway-overhaul-1.2714068

Again, to the intelligent residents, the airport and it's runways have been there alot longer than most of you have lived there or even been alive, if you move under a flightpath, you have no right to complain imo.

Yes and I would expect some periods such as Xmas/NY will have no works etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Airport started operations in the late 40's but in reality it was the 1950's before it operated on any scale, Wide body and large aircraft did not start to operate until the 70's. So your logic is flawed and inaccurate.

The use of 16/34 wont be weather dependent for the period, if it is safe to use it will be used. The maintenance work on 10/28 is for the replacement of lights so the runway will be unservicable during those times

Fattes wrote: »
    Airport started operations in the late 40's but in reality it was the 1950's before it operated on any scale, Wide body and large aircraft did not start to operate until the 70's. So your logic is flawed and inaccurate.

The use of 16/34 wont be weather dependent for the period, if it is safe to use it will be used. The maintenance work on 10/28 is for the replacement of lights so the runway will be unservicable during those times

Now there is a contradiction!

Its closure if for a lot more than light replacements.

Now there is a contradiction!

Its closure if for a lot more than light replacements.

Yes I am aware there is a major overall on runway ancillary services, but the fact that the lighting and landing systems are the biggest part of the job, or so the info the DAA gave residents states.

Contradiction??? There will be periods during the works that 16/34 is the only option for operations due to the nature of the work or so the DAA have informed residents in the area. I would assume if that is the case, weather will have little baring on the use of 16/34 as it will be the only available option during some periods of the works. Unless the DAA or maybe I am explaining it badly.

Contradiction??? There will be periods during the works that 16/34 is the only option for operations due to the nature of the work or so the DAA have informed residents in the area. I would assume if that is the case, weather will have little baring on the use of 16/34 as it will be the only available option during some periods of the works. Unless the DAA or maybe I am explaining it badly.

The daa are right it is the only option when the works are been carried out.

The weather will determine if works go ahead on any given night, they are doing it over 15 months because there will be times when works are cancelled and they will only get to do a limited amount per night as they will have to return 28 to service with relatively short notice if/when required.

If we get snow or even a prolonged cold snap I suspect runway 28 will be in full operation.

If I move to an area with a railway line that's used only once a day, I still have no right to complain if 20 years later its used 20 times a day.

Edit: Anyway, so not to get into this debate again, I see your point of view, I just do not agree with it, and I expect no length of discussion will sway either of us.

The daa are right it is the only option when the works are been carried out.

The weather will determine if works go ahead on any given night, they are doing it over 15 months because there will be times when works are cancelled and they will only get to do a limited amount per night as they will have to return 28 to service with relatively short notice if/when required.

If we get snow or even a prolonged cold snap I suspect runway 28 will be in full operation.

Then where is the contradiction? If it is safe they will use 16/34 and continue with the works, if not works are put on hold and 10/22 is activated. Info the DAA gave us was that it wont effect daytime operations, hence the mention re lights.

Then where is the contradiction? If it is safe they will use 16/34 and continue with the works, if not works are put on hold and 10/22 is activated. Info the DAA gave us was that it wont effect daytime operations, hence the mention re lights.

If it is safe to use 16 they will but that is like 99% depended on weather than anything else hence my previous comment.

moloner4 wrote: »
    Walking around airside today and saw signs for gates 336-337 to T2, anyone know anything about this?

They're the bus gates between T2 and T1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

lxflyer wrote: »
    moloner4 wrote: »
    So they added two more bus gates beside 333-335?

Sorry got my numbers mixed up! Probably extra bus gates - there was talk of adding more bus gates.

For which flights are these generally used? EI regional ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Airport started operations in the late 40's but in reality it was the 1950's before it operated on any scale, Wide body and large aircraft did not start to operate until the 70's. So your logic is flawed and inaccurate. ......
    From wikipedia:
    On 28 April 1958, Aerlínte Éireann operated its first transatlantic service from Shannon to New York. Three Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellations were used for the twice-weekly service aboard aircraft......
    The airline entered the jet age on 14 December 1960 when it received three Boeing 720 for use on the New York route and the newest Aer Lingus destination Boston........The Boeing 720s proved to be a success for the airline on the transatlantic routes. To supplement these, Aer Lingus took delivery of its first larger Boeing 707 in 1964, and the type continued to serve the airline until 1986. On 6 March 1971, Aer Lingus took delivery of the first of two Boeing 747s for use on the transatlantic routes.

Dublin was doing quite well in the 1960's with regular services to the US with its home carrier and US airlines using modern larger airliners.
    So, yes the airport hasnt been as busy as we are currently used to since it has been built...however it has been steadily expanding and growing over the last 56 years. So anyone moving into that area of Dublin since the mid-late 1960's would be very aware of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Tenger wrote: »
    Dublin was doing quite well in the 1960's with regular services to the US with its home carrier and US airlines using modern larger airliners.
    So, yes the airport hasnt been as busy as we are currently used to since it has been built...however it has been steadily expanding and growing over the last 56 years. So anyone moving into that area of Dublin since the mid-late 1960's would be very aware of that fact.

Furthermore, until the end of the 1980s the primary runway was 06/24 (latterly 05/23) so one way or another, a high proportion of movements involved overflying or coming close to built-up areas. What's different now is that people have become used to a situation with runway 10/28 whereby few flights overfly the city any more. Here area few images from the pre 10/28 age.

3785565601_79f46341af_z.jpg?zz=1EC-DZA DC-8-61 by Irish251, on Flickr

3804430480_89bee63410_z.jpg?zz=1EC-DZA DC-8-61 by Irish251, on Flickr

3329503116_86c884bce2_z.jpg?zz=1EI-ASO Boeing 707-349C by Irish251, on Flickr

3291512738_56e2cc1eb3_z.jpg?zz=1TAP Boeing 707-382B CS-TBA departing from Dublin Airport by Irish251, on Flickr

Locker10a wrote: »
    For which flights are these generally used? EI regional ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tenger wrote: »
    from wikipedia:
    Three Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellations were used for the twice-weekly service

Amazing the advancement in reliability now that you'd be looking to use just one aircraft on the other 5 days (albeit a Connie was slower) and possibly a European flight too on the days it was flying on a twice weekly service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

What I find funny is the media highlighting the fact that flights will be flying over a small bit of the southside with the works going on. But don't mention that this also involves flying over over MOST of the northside, At lower altitudes too.

God help the poor folk of foxrock :P

I'm a southsider by the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

jimbis wrote: »
    What I find funny is the media highlighting the fact that flights will be flying over a small bit of the southside with the works going on. But don't mention that this also involves flying over over MOST of the northside, At lower altitudes too.

God help the poor folk of foxrock :P

I'm a southsider by the way.
    And funnily enough planes have been flying over those subarbs for years ! Yet the media seem to think it's an entirely new thing! Reminds me of an episode of the Simsons years ago!! Anyone remember the one I'm on about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Locker10a wrote: »
    And funnily enough planes have been flying over those subarbs for years ! Yet the media seem to think it's an entirely new thing! Reminds me of an episode of the Simsons years ago!! Anyone remember the one I'm on about :D

Quimby redirects air traffic over their house cause it's interrupting his lady friend time? Simpsons nerd here... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

jimbis wrote: »
    Quimby redirects air traffic over their house cause it's interrupting his lady friend time? Simpsons nerd here... :pac:

That the one where the plane crashes into the house. That was my earliest Avgeek moment, trying to explain that planes cannot reverse on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Shannon757 wrote: »
    trying to explain that planes cannot reverse on their own.

Em they can though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

billie1b wrote: »
    Em they can though

They can?

Advertisement