Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options
12357293

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed


    owenc wrote: »
    But this is Northern Ireland not shannon.

    Thanks for the geography lesson but it's irrelevant. People will choose the option that suits them best, and if a spin to Dublin from northern Ireland means a direct flight to x, y or z and a shorter and or cheaper overall journey time then a lot of people will choose that option.

    Speak for yourself but don't think you represent everybody.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Strumms


    It's about competition. Pure and simple. If BFS wants to market their airport to better suit the needs of their catchment area they need to be competitive enough to attract airlines and routes to keep people from going down the motorway to DUB. This is plainly not happening at the moment. Likewise DUB is a business and are doing a great job of attracting routes and passengers from all over the island. DUB does not owe, BFS, ORK, SNN or anyone any favours. Simple.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour


    Tenger wrote: »
    In terms of future growth the current runway is fine for the EI A350's on order. However if DUB wanted routes to PEK, HKK or BKK then a longer runway would be needed.
    Isn't there also an issue around cargo loads, and the potential for cargo revenues?

    I'd also just wonder about what might be termed the comparative analysis.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_airports_by_international_passenger_traffic

    Dublin is the 27th busiest international airport by international passenger traffic. Every other airport on that top thirty list has a runway of at least 3,000m. Some, like Munich, have a 4,000m runway.

    I just can't shake that feeling that we might be missing something.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    relaxed wrote: »
    Thanks for the geography lesson but it's irrelevant. People will choose the option that suits them best, and if a spin to Dublin from northern Ireland means a direct flight to x, y or z and a shorter and or cheaper overall journey time then a lot of people will choose that option.

    Speak for yourself but don't think you represent everybody.

    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89


    owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

    That's just not true. I know of people living in Belfast who have driven to Dublin to fly to Spain and in one case to London.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan


    owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

    Over half a million from NI through DUB last year says otherwise,and not all longhaul.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger


    owenc wrote: »
    ......I will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

    I corrected that statement for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b


    owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

    Thats a complete kack! I have boarded people from Northern Ireland onto flights to all over Europe, from as short as Manchester to as far the Canaries


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub


    owenc wrote: »
    But this is Northern Ireland not shannon.

    Why no capital S for Shannon?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed


    owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL


    Ok, I'll rise to it, can you please explain why that would be the case?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze


    owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

    Funny I live 15 mins from dub but have driven to bfs for short haul flights a number of times because easy jet served a route on a day not served from dub.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim


    anyone reckon flights to Vegas could be on the cards in the short to medium term? they fly from gatwick, heathrow and manchester (seasonly thomas cook and Virgin). If you did a low cost flight operation to there, imagine how much you could generate on baggage, wifi, food and alcohol...


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    owenc wrote: »
    Its actually not irrelevant.

    People here will NOT travel to Dublin for a flight unless it is international LONG HAUL

    Completely and utterly untrue, though.

    You do not equal everyone in Northern Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard


    MYOB wrote: »
    Completely and utterly untrue, though.

    You do not equal everyone in Northern Ireland.

    For people in South Down there are better public transport links from Dublin Airport at certain times of the day than from Belfast International. Road links are very good these days too - High Quality Dual Carriageway/Motorway southwards whilst it's not so good going north.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    Vuzuggu wrote: »
    That's just not true. I know of people living in Belfast who have driven to Dublin to fly to Spain and in one case to London.

    Um.. I live over 60 MILES from Belfast.. How many times have I said that the se of NI is close to Dublin airport.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    Richard wrote: »
    For people in South Down there are better public transport links from Dublin Airport at certain times of the day than from Belfast International. Road links are very good these days too - High Quality Dual Carriageway/Motorway southwards whilst it's not so good going north.

    Exactly. This is what i've said and they seem to think i'm talking nonsense and that people from Country Antrim etc will be driving down to Dublin airport for a short haul flight.

    I would've thought it would be pretty obvious that most people from NI are hardly going to drive all the way down there for a short haul flight. My aunt recently drove down for a flight to Dubai and said it was a killer.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    Exactly.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    lord lucan wrote: »
    Over half a million from NI through DUB last year says otherwise,and not all longhaul.

    Many of those customers will be repeat or even triple customers. Most of those customers will be flying long haul and a majority of those customers will be from County Down.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    relaxed wrote: »
    Ok, I'll rise to it, can you please explain why that would be the case?

    Well simply because its too far.

    I only know of one person who has flown short haul from Dublin and she has said she will NEVER do it again. Really no one wants to sit in a car and drive constantly for over 3 hours to get a shorter flight. I don't think you realise how far Dublin airport actually is at over 160 miles..


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b


    owenc wrote: »
    Well simply because its too far.

    I only know of one person who has flown short haul from Dublin and she has said she will NEVER do it again. Really no one wants to sit in a car and drive constantly for over 3 hours to get a shorter flight. I don't think you realise how far Dublin airport actually is at over 160 miles..

    Unfortunately figures say otherwise, with short haul routes being most popular

    "Four locations

    All the London airports combined make up 17% of overall trips by Northern Ireland residents using Dublin Airport in 2013.

    Short-haul services to Britain and continental Europe account for six of the top 10 routes for Northern Ireland residents, with long-haul services to North America and the Middle East providing the remaining four locations in the top 10.

    The UK is the most popular destination for Northern Ireland residents using Dublin Airport, as it accounted for 20% of overall traffic - equivalent to one in five flights - last year.

    The United States was the second most popular destination for Northern Ireland residents flying from Dublin Airport last year, while Italy, Germany and France also featured in the top five."

    Full link
    http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27050056

    Maybe check your stats before you say no-one from NI will travel to Dublin except for long haul.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99


    I'm in Omagh

    BFS is about 1hr 5 mins drive. BHD about 5 mins more

    DUB is 1hr 45 mins.

    So around 40 mins longer to get to the carpark than to either of the NI airports.

    DUB car park cost about the same as the 3rd party car parks @ BFS. car park @BHD is a ripoff.

    DUB flies many short haul routes that BFS/BHD does not.
    For example EI flies to BOJ, there are no summer schedule flights to BOJ out of NI.

    So for about £6-7 in fuel and 90 mins extra roundtrip travelling time, DUB offers me a whole host of destinations and pricings that NI does not.

    I'm assuming the economics work similarly for most people in Western NI. Only the most myopic of people would rule out DUB as a viable option on the above basis.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    Tangey99 wrote: »
    I'm in Omagh

    BFS is about 1hr 5 mins drive. BHD about 5 mins more

    DUB is 1hr 45 mins.

    So around 40 mins longer to get to the carpark than to either of the NI airports.

    DUB car park cost about the same as the 3rd party car parks @ BFS. car park @BHD is a ripoff.

    DUB flies many short haul routes that BFS/BHD does not.
    For example EI flies to BOJ, there are no summer schedule flights to BOJ out of NI.

    So for about £6-7 in fuel and 90 mins extra roundtrip travelling time, DUB offers me a whole host of destinations and pricings that NI does not.

    I'm assuming the economics work similarly for most people in Western NI. Only the most myopic of people would rule out DUB as a viable option on the above basis.

    An hour and 45?! It says it will take 3 hours from my house!

    Belfast is about 50 minutes from my house so you can see my argument.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011


    owenc wrote: »
    An hour and 45?! It says it will take 3 hours from my house!

    Belfast is about 50 minutes from my house so you can see my argument.

    me me me me me me me - we already know YOU don't like using DUB; but the figures show plenty of others do.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    But its not all about the south of Northern Ireland. I have already shown that we are quite a distance from that airport.

    So there will be plenty who DO NOT use that airport.


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99


    owenc wrote: »
    But its not all about the south of Northern Ireland. I have already shown that we are quite a distance from that airport.

    So there will be plenty who DO NOT use that airport.

    What has this got to do with a 3rd runway at DUB Airport.

    Its the traffic that DOES use that airport from NI, that is important to it.

    This thread is about a 3rd runway @ Dublin. DuB needs to show certain numbers before that will be given the go-ahead.

    A significant portion of that traffic comes from NI, for people who are either close enough timewise to be able to chose Dublin over NI without it being a significant difference, or who want to go to some of the many destinations not served by NI airports.

    Clearly, for people who for example, live in Antrim town and who only ever want to go to places served by NI airports, there is no need to go to DUB.

    Airports will always compete for Business. If you think BFS and BHD live in harmony, you are naive in the extreme. Both those are always looking to take business from the other. DUB is the same, and in fact even more so, as they have almost no political pressure trying to inhibit them from taking NI traffic.

    It's business.


  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tangey99


    owenc wrote: »
    An hour and 45?! It says it will take 3 hours from my house!

    Belfast is about 50 minutes from my house so you can see my argument.

    No, your argument is that it only suits people in SE NI.

    That argument is incorrect.

    It suits me. I'm about as far west as NI goes. 40 mins isn't an issue.

    for those in Enniskillen, BFS is 80 miles away. DUB is 100 Miles. Google maps puts the travelling time at 1:33 vers 2:01. i.e. 28 mins, and that's being very generous.

    I note from some of your maps that you are in Ballycastle, i.e. just about as far North as the North gets.

    Dublin isn't going to suit you.

    Dublin isn't going to your Aunt. However for Dubai it still was her choice. The other option would be to fly from BHD/BFS to LHR and onwards, which would take at least as long, likely longer, involved two flights and the inherit missed connections risks that entails, and involve having to pay UK APD, suddenly DUB looked attractive afterall).

    DUB airport is not setting its policy based on people living in the North Coast. BTW, BFS isn't setting its policies based on the North coast either. BFS and BHD are primarily targeting greater belfast. DUB is primarily targeting most of ROI. At 1h 30mins travelling time, DUB can also target Belfast, with attractive fairs and unique destinations.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed


    owenc wrote: »
    But its not all about the south of Northern Ireland. I have already shown that we are quite a distance from that airport.

    So there will be plenty who DO NOT use that airport.

    No, your argument was that northern Ireland was not Shannon and that northern Ireland would not use Dublin except for long haul.

    As if to imply there was some sort of difference in mentality or logic between airline passengers from northern Ireland to the Shannon catchment area.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc


    relaxed wrote: »
    No, your argument was that northern Ireland was not Shannon and that northern Ireland would not use Dublin except for long haul.

    As if to imply there was some sort of difference in mentality or logic between airline passengers from northern Ireland to the Shannon catchment area.

    Well there probably is but anyway.

    Although I am basing it on my area which is miles and miles from Dublin.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed


    owenc wrote: »
    Well there probably is but anyway.

    Although I am basing it on my area which is miles and miles from Dublin.

    Were you drinking and posting last night?

    Because you have now changing it to "your area" rather than "Northern Ireland" which is a big difference as your area is apparently up at the tip top.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 IrishAir98


    owenc wrote: »
    But its not all about the south of Northern Ireland. I have already shown that we are quite a distance from that airport.

    So there will be plenty who DO NOT use that airport.

    You are by far the most idiotic person I've met on this website. You say that Northern Irish residents only use Dublin Airport for Long Haul and they only use BFS and BHD for short haul because Dublin is too far away? What kind of utter nonsense is going through your head?! I live in the most North-Western part of Donegal and I can safely say most of the people here will choose Dublin over Belfast any day. Even though it's an extra hours drive Dublin has a much more variety of destinations than any of the Belfast airports Short Haul and Long Haul.


Advertisement