Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Rojomur wrote: »
    I.knew id seen an article on it somewhere...its called an ' End around' hartsfield jackson airport put one in so taxiing aircraft didnt have to cross an avtive runway. Link below is to full article.

https://www.gomaco.com/Resources/worldstories/world36_1/archer.html

If the IAA can’t even manage Land After procedures you’re dreaming if you think this will come to Dublin anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Rojomur wrote: »
    I.knew id seen an article on it somewhere...its called an ' End around' hartsfield jackson airport put one in so taxiing aircraft didnt have to cross an avtive runway. Link below is to full article.

https://www.gomaco.com/Resources/worldstories/world36_1/archer.html

Would there be enough space at the threshold of 28 to implement such a design? Would T2/South Gates and the Airport/Santry road not be in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Driving through this morning that main roundabout won't facilitate the traffic exiting much longer. If it's not bypassed or a flyover provided the internal roads are just going to totally seize up soon.

It's at the stage now - with over 30 mppa - that something really big has to happen in terms of capacity on so many fronts but the disturbing thing is, right now, NOTHING substantial in terms of capacity improvements is being built airside or landside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭blackwhite

NH2013 wrote: »
    Would there be enough space at the threshold of 28 to implement such a design? Would T2/South Gates and the Airport/Santry road not be in the way?

TBH - I'm not sure that this would alleviate all of the T2 bottleneck

The area marked in red is still going to be a bottleneck for accessing to/from the western side of T2.

484743.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

As mentioned before, the next logical step is a proper large spacious future proof terminal built west of the tower, perfectly placed between the new parallel runways. Unobstructed taxi to either runway, no bottlenecks or cul-de-sacs.
    Access could be given from the West via the M2 motorway and M50. This would ease access from the current M1/M50 airport entrance.

It would be a mega project but something that is essential for the growth of the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Surely metrolink is the only mega project (In Irish terms, the developed world would regard it as a run-of-the-mill metro line) in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As mentioned before, the next logical step is a proper large spacious future proof terminal built west of the tower, perfectly placed between the new parallel runways. Unobstructed taxi to either runway, no bottlenecks or cul-de-sacs.
    Access could be given from the West via the M2 motorway and M50. This would ease access from the current M1/M50 airport entrance.

It would be a mega project but something that is essential for the growth of the airport.

This is what makes NO sense.

Why are they spending €2bn on expanding the existing terminals over the next few years to bring capacity to just 40 million - when that same amount would buy them an awesome new terminal and the trimmings :confused::confused::confused:

It makes no sense to me.

This is what makes NO sense.

Why are they spending €2bn on expanding the existing terminals over the next few years to bring capacity to just 40 million - when that same amount would buy them an awesome new terminal and the trimmings :confused::confused::confused:

It makes no sense to me.

I imagine you are talking about building said terminal west of 16/34. I’m not sure if you could everything required for a new terminal west of 16/34 for €2bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

How dare you come on here with a logical plan and common sense . :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It would also require either duplication or extensions of all the public transport servicing the airport to serve both sets of terminals - not would it be served by Metrolink.

The current DAA plan is to build satellites exactly where you are talking about with an underground rail link from the central terminal complex where check in would continue to take place (not dissimilar to Zurich or Heathrow T5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Locker10a wrote: »
    If the IAA can’t even manage Land After procedures you’re dreaming if you think this will come to Dublin anytime soon

No i agree...its just a pipe dream...it will never happen ...nor have i ever seen it mentioned in any future plan. But i think hypothetically it would fit...if you google map the one at Hartsfield Jackson Airport...theres an MD80/90 or something similar in size to B737/A320 on the taxiway and im estimating it is literally 1 wingspan away from the boundary fence on the bend so the taxiway could go right up as far as the r132 and loop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Flew in from Porto this afternoon. Touched down at 15h20, through PP control, collect luggage and on the bus for red long term park in 26 minutes.

IMPRESSIVE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I was really disappointed they cancelled the parallel/double taxiways parallel to the new runway. It would have significantly improved movement rate by allowing the tower to optimise the departure sequence for wake turbulence, and a de-icing area could have been set up on one of them when required, allowing aircraft onto the runway almost immediately rather than risking timing out before needing anti icing again.

Getting rid of half the RETS also reduces potential movement rate. A medium could be let on at an intersection to depart while the heavy that was taxiing ahead of him is still making its’ way down for a full length departure. Also the more RETS means landers can vacate sooner, allowing departures off quicker in mixed mode ops or reduced separation between arrivals in single use.

The DAA, penny wise, pound foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Would be interested in seeing the plans referred to in thgis article, particularly the Western access plan?

I assume its a road connecting the N2(Brock Inn) over to St.Margarets..

https://dublingazette.com/news/news-fingal/daa-lap-33930/

The draft LAP includes an upgrade to the airport roundabout, building a western access road for additional car parking and a raft of public transport objectives.

Mr McAleese said there had been “careful analysis” of noise impact on residential communities adding that the LAP was crucial for not just the airport and Fingal, but for “the region and the State”.

Some councillors raised concerns that they had not received the documents prior to the meeting and that consultation would take place over the summer holidays.

Cllr Darragh Butler (FF) said: “My concern is for the existing residents, in particular St Margaret’s … I think we need to err a bit more on their side.”

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

dfx- wrote: »
    Runway, terminal, belts and document control are built a far away from each other as possible.

1hr 45 minutes from landing to arriving in the city centre at midnight..40 minute taxi, 20 minute walk to document control, baggage belt as far away as possible with others not used, belt displaying the wrong flight number and slow to get the baggage to the belt.

Talking to locals, the major problem with Ataturk was the passport/document control. It look like they've focused on that and forgotten everything else. They've had basically the freedom of Istanbul on a huge site to build whatever they wanted with five runways and an open cheque and it's no better than the piece by piece growth of Dublin with one runway and arguably a terminal in the wrong place.

I had two flights on Turkish Airlines on the 3rd of July so I connected through IST. It's a beautiful airport but the taxiing was insane. We landed at 5:37pm, spent 21 minutes taxiing constantly without stopping for even a second to gate F4B and then it took another 10 minutes for the door to open. We landed only 17 minutes late (thanks to a 53 minute delay at DUB due to how busy it was) but when the taxiing and waiting for the door is added we got off nearly 50 minutes after scheduled landing time. We had a long enough connection though and the next gate was not very far away (13B) so we had plenty of time.

Just a warning for people flying with TK out of DUB the afternoon flight in particular seems to regularly have a 30-60+ minute arrival delay so watch your connection times! The morning flight is also regularly delayed but not as notorious as the afternoon flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Dublin airport must be a frustrating place to do business for airlines. Just from watching flight radar today for awhile the Aer Lingus flight from Zurich waited 1.5 hours for a stand, Berlin 1 hour and Seattle an hour also. Not just delaying following flights and connections but tons of fuel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Dublin airport must be a frustrating place to do business for airlines. Just from watching flight radar today for awhile the Aer Lingus flight from Zurich waited 1.5 hours for a stand, Berlin 1 hour and Seattle an hour also. Not just delaying following flights and connections but tons of fuel also.

Cancelled outbounds to US really screwed things up today. What DUB really needs is some more busses. Send more aircraft to remote stands in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cancelled outbounds to US really screwed things up today. What DUB really needs is some more busses. Send more aircraft to remote stands in these situations.

Totally, you’d wonder why that didn’t happen. Even if EI or whoever needed to subcontract to SKY or Swissport to keep things moving. Do EI have many or any buses stationed at DUB these days ?

Strumms wrote: »
    Totally, you’d wonder why that didn’t happen. Even if EI or whoever needed to subcontract to SKY or Swissport to keep things moving. Do EI have many or any buses stationed at DUB these days ?

Sky and Swissport do all the bussing in DUB, including for EI. Just not enough of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Shamrockj wrote: »

An hour and a half waiting for a stand isn't just unacceptable, its disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

An hour and a half waiting for a stand isn't just unacceptable, its disgraceful.

For a complete lay man, is the issue that they don’t have enough stands to deal with the level of flights they are taking ?

For a complete lay man, is the issue that they don’t have enough stands to deal with the level of flights they are taking ?

Yes. Then add a medical emergency or technical issue into the mix and all hell breaks loose.

A stand in t2 is made up of a left, right and centre. Widebodies take up 2 stands by parking on the centre, narrow bodies can park side by side on left and right. So if one wide body goes tech and is stuck on stand, that's 2 stands now gone from narrow bodies, which is what happened yesterday to the Zurich and Berlin (not sure if tech or weather).

Absolutely and I can’t understand for the life of me why EI allow this to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know it happens in all airport really, but in Dublin its happening with such alarming regularity. Take it to a remote stand and bus them in. Its ridiculous that this doesn't happen.

I know it happens in all airport really, but in Dublin its happening with such alarming regularity. Take it to a remote stand and bus them in. Its ridiculous that this doesn't happen.

Happens everywhere, but many will have you believe it’s unique to Dublin.

Spare stands cost money and airlines won’t pay for them.

Delays happen because flights pick up slots in to other airports, passengers are late, previous inbound was late, fuelers were busy, catering was delayed, tech issues, etc etc etc etc. Significant, long delays happen occasionally every day. Most of the time because the inbound turns up 60-120 mins early in the morning.

What is needed is a stand or two dedicated to pushing slot delayed aircraft to to free up the stand.

Delays happen because flights pick up slots in to other airports, passengers are late, previous inbound was late, fuelers were busy, catering was delayed, tech issues, etc etc etc etc. Significant, long delays happen occasionally every day. Most of the time because the inbound turns up 60-120 mins early in the morning.

What is needed is a stand or two dedicated to pushing slot delayed aircraft to to free up the stand.
    I’m sorry, all of those things are predictable and standard delays in aviation. Waiting to disembark an aircraft 90 mins after it has landed is DISGRACEFUL. No ifs or buts. It’s not acceptable unless you’ve inadvertently landed into a war zone or natural disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I would hope the works on the west apron, are to allow the 600 stands for self parking i.e. an aircraft pulls in shuts down waits for CTOT and taxi's off to rejoin the sequence on its own power. This regularly happens in the US, and at Gatwick stands 41 and 43 are dedicated for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Arrived in this morning on the Air Canada flight from Vancouver. arrived in early by an hour and we had to wait for a gate to open up.

second time this has happened in the pat month to myself. Are airlines just cautious about arrival times from West? Over stating arrival times to be early?

Anyway - the airport activity was great to see from the plane. we had a great view waiting for our stand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I had two flights on Turkish Airlines on the 3rd of July so I connected through IST. It's a beautiful airport but the taxiing was insane. We landed at 5:37pm, spent 21 minutes taxiing constantly without stopping for even a second to gate F4B and then it took another 10 minutes for the door to open. We landed only 17 minutes late (thanks to a 53 minute delay at DUB due to how busy it was) but when the taxiing and waiting for the door is added we got off nearly 50 minutes after scheduled landing time. We had a long enough connection though and the next gate was not very far away (13B) so we had plenty of time.

Just a warning for people flying with TK out of DUB the afternoon flight in particular seems to regularly have a 30-60+ minute arrival delay so watch your connection times! The morning flight is also regularly delayed but not as notorious as the afternoon flight.

Imagine connecting through Dublin and then Istanbul...you'd want to give yourself a connection time of several hours each.:)

It is a beautiful airport to be in, but not travelling through...landside in Turkey, there's a metal detector as you walk in, then the regular security check and then depending on the gate, two document checks and a bag check...

Advertisement