Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Noise Regulation to be debated in Dail on 4th Dec and enacted by 31st Dec.

Passed stage 2 in the Dail last night and now moves to committee stage in late January where a lot of amendments will be put forward.

This bill has a long way to go before it has passed,

The two biggest obstacles seem to be the choice of Fingal County Council as the noise regulator and the worry of local residents that this bill is a way for the DAA to get the 2 an bord pleanala restrictions on the 2nd runway planning permission overturned.

Interesting times ahead for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Quick History question... didnt want to start a another runway thread, so chancing it here... sorry Mods if you need to move.

Intersecting the old 11/29 runway on the west end is the current 16/34 runway, but does anyone know if there was a runway intersecting 11/29 on the east end... as can be seen on this google maps image running approximately NE to SW

Just curious. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes there was

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Quick History question... didnt want to start a another runway thread, so chancing it here... sorry Mods if you need to move.

Intersecting the old 11/29 runway on the west end is the current 16/34 runway, but does anyone know if there was a runway intersecting 11/29 on the east end... as can be seen on this google maps image running approximately NE to SW

Just curious. Thx

Think that's one of the old runways

https://twitter.com/dublinairport/status/822006106289557504

It's in one of the images here

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Muppet Man wrote:
    Intersecting the old 11/29 runway on the west end is the current 16/34 runway, but does anyone know if there was a runway intersecting 11/29 on the east end... as can be seen on this

There was the original runway 05/23 alright which closed in 1991 I believe. If you look closely at the Google maps image just where the Naul road curves , just slightly South of that is the 23 threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

rushfan wrote: »
    There was the original runway 05/23 alright which closed in 1991 I believe. If you look closely at the Google maps image just where the Naul road curves , just slightly South of that is the 23 threshold.

It is getting scary when I realise that people may have no understanding of the runway configuration that existed for almost 50 years before 10/28 was opened. Runway 05/23 was designated as 06/24 for most of its life but was redesignated circa 1980 owing to magnetic variation over time. It was 7,500 feet long. Here is a nice image of an Angola 707 turning to line up for departure off 23 on a fine summer's evening.
    4390740098_20cb3ee7f0_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

EchoIndia wrote:
    It is getting scary when I realise that people may have no understanding of the runway configuration that existed for almost 50 years before 10/28 was opened. Runway 05/23 was designated as 06/24 for most of its life but was redesignated circa 1980 owing to magnetic variation over time. It was 7,500 feet long. Here is a nice image of an Angola 707 turning to line up for departure off 23 on a fine summer's evening.

Fantastic photo on an important date for me too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

humor me, are they decommissioning 16/34 when the new parallel runway is operational ? I only ask as 16 is a savior in those stormy southerly winds where cross wind limits are exceeded for 28/10. If so and the seasonal nature of our warther, we will see an exponential increase in diversions .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Roadbridge and FCC are wasting no time i see the compound is nearly ready. They must be planning on hitting the works hard in January

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

duskyjoe wrote: »
    humor me, are they decommissioning 16/34 when the new parallel runway is operational ? I only ask as 16 is a savior in those stormy southerly winds where cross wind limits are exceeded for 28/10. If so and the seasonal nature of our warther, we will see an exponential increase in diversions .

It doesnt seen clear. I think the DAA want to get rid of it but the airlines (FR and EI mainly) want to keep it for crosswind ops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Its staying and will be available for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PlaneLover

But of a random question... when domestic flights arrive into DUB from KIR/CFN, how to the pax get to baggage halls? Do they go through passport control?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

PlaneLover wrote: »
    But of a random question... when domestic flights arrive into DUB from KIR/CFN, how to the pax get to baggage halls? Do they go through passport control?

Yes they do - there’s no segregated arrivals corridor for domestic passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Government approved extra USPC resources to be funded by daa.

https://www.thejournal.ie/us-preclearance-irish-airports-4431549-Jan2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Government approved extra USPC resources to be funded by daa.

https://www.thejournal.ie/us-preclearance-irish-airports-4431549-Jan2019/

Are CBP staff at Dublin/Shannon recruited locally or are they US personnel assigned to Ireland? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Are CBP staff at Dublin/Shannon recruited locally or are they US personnel assigned to Ireland? Just curious.

Irish staff man the security scanners etc, but it’s US Homeland Securty officers who do questions and ultimately have the power to stop you travelling

It’s an overseas tour for the DHS officers. They get relocated here for a period of time - I know they get “hardship” payments for Shannon, as it’s consdered “remote” - don’t know if it’s the same for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I see the DAA are in trouble over the security wait times: https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-security-clearance-delays-4432600-Jan2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I see the DAA are in trouble over the security wait times: https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-airport-security-clearance-delays-4432600-Jan2019/

Being fined aside, this is quite impressive:
    60% of passengers using Dublin Airport last year went through security in less than 10 minutes, 90% of passengers went through security in less than 15 minutes and 98% of passengers went through in less than 20 minutes.

DUB is really much more pleasant to transit through than most airports, in my experience. If traveling outside of peak times (the morning rush, or summer) I usually find security is rarely more than 5 minutes. Its such a contrast to the monster 60min queues in Stansted or JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The comments on that article are absolutely laughable.
    It is a pity that the security staff at Dublin Airport cannot take lessons in common courtesy from their colleagues in the TSA

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    The comments on that article are absolutely laughable.

Person who said that has obviously never experienced TSA in JFK or LAX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its such a contrast to the monster 60min queues in Stansted or JFK.

Agreed. The most I've ever waited is 15 minutes. My "favourite" security, if you can call it that, is Gatwick. Always pleasant, incredibly efficient, and the one that should be copied everywhere.

Stansted is the worst, the queues are deliberately kept like that so people will pay for Fast Track. And you can't see the queue length until its too late.

Stansted is designed to make money, nothing else. Awful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Agreed. The most I've ever waited is 15 minutes. My "favourite" security, if you can call it that, is Gatwick. Always pleasant, incredibly efficient, and the one that should be copied everywhere.

Stansted is the worst, the queues are deliberately kept like that so people will pay for Fast Track. And you can't see the queue length until its too late.

Awful's not the word. Last summer was just ridiculous. But not only security. The baggage hall is a joke, with some of the baggage belt signs pointing away from the main screen where you arrive, so you've to walk around through the crowds to see is this belt 6? No, maybe this one is. No, this one... Then there's that main cattle mart of a waiting area...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

What work is being done opposite hanger 6, I see lots of work and a John Paul compound, Runway related ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Zico

Looks tacky in those images.

Large scale but low budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looks much better in my pic! :D

2r55h5h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Looks much better in my pic! :D

2r55h5h.jpg

Looks more like a prisoner of war camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Its a staffing issue plain and simple the infrastructure is there , belts and scanners and they just plain do not use it. Look next time you go through ,especially at peak times there are never all the belts staffed and running. there are enough staff who stand in the queueing area and shout at their customers to run another belt, always wondered about that.

However - as I said - its not that they need more infrastructure its that they dont bother their bum staffing it.

Remember they get about a tenner per head every time you go through which works out at a few million euro a week for each terminal so DAA are absolutely coining it in for a brutal service. More power to the CAR in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

trellheim wrote: »
    Its a staffing issue plain and simple the infrastructure is there , belts and scanners and they just plain do not use it. Look next time you go through ,especially at peak times there are never all the belts staffed and running. there are enough staff who stand in the queueing area and shout at their customers to run another belt, always wondered about that.

However - as I said - its not that they need more infrastructure its that they dont bother their bum staffing it.

Remember they get about a tenner per head every time you go through which works out at a few million euro a week for each terminal so DAA are absolutely coining it in for a brutal service. More power to the CAR in my view.

Its worse for staff. All summer, Arrivals level staff security in T1 was closed when it was supposed to be open as they had to move screening staff to passenger screening. It meant that all t1 staff and crew had to use 1 screening lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,939 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100% with you there. Gatwick is great and 100% my favourite London airport. Well staffed no matter what time of the day or night, courteous efficient staff. STN in now a nightmare. Last year I counted 75 minutes from being dropped outside my terminal to arrival at gate. Gatwick or Heathrow now only for me, it might be a few quid dearer but worth it.

Advertisement