Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

My only issue with T2 is its location, not enough stands. Sure Aer Lingus are still using T1 stands and the cargo ones as well.

I don't really get the complaints about using the 3XX gates though. The walk is no further from security in T2 than the walk to gate 426.

The 3XX stands would be otherwise spare overnight, so why not use them? By and large the 3XX gates only get used early morning/late at night by about half a dozen Aer Lingus flights each time.

It frees up space needed for the early morning long haul arrivals and uses up space not used by anyone else.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I don't really get the complaints about using the 3XX gates though. The walk is no further from security in T2 than the walk to gate 426.

The 3XX stands would be otherwise spare overnight, so why not use them? By and large the 3XX gates only get used early morning/late at night by about half a dozen Aer Lingus flights each time.

It frees up space needed for the early morning long haul arrivals and uses up space not used by anyone else.

It's not a complaint about how far people have to walk that's previously been debunked here, it's just highlighting the fact there isn't enough stands at T2 to cover what's required.

The complaint is, there isn't enough stands and at the busy periods EI use T1 stands and when heavies arrive it's maxed out and any delayed heavies have to wait on a stand. That was shortsighted of the DAA to squeeze in T2 where it is rather than greenfield it over by the west apron, but they didn't want that as that would have meant dealing with the mcevaddy and I think arms would have needed to be chewed off before that would have happened.

I see Etihad are back to double daily A330 from 777/330, is that a scheduled winter down grade or is it a reaction to Emirates double daily 777 flights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Looks like the 777 is overkill on the route unless they are really filling up the hold with cargo. Less than 80 passengers on the Emirates inbound tonight apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

veetwin wrote: »
    Looks like the 777 is overkill on the route unless they are really filling up the hold with cargo. Less than 80 passengers on the Emirates inbound tonight apparently.

I've been told that until the clocks go back and the inbound and outbound evening flight come forward a couple of hours that it'll be lightly loaded as the timings are poor for connections at DXB. Haven't seen the timings for the summer season 2015 yet but they'd want to look at it if that's the case as they're well aware of it and how lightly loaded it is. Then again,maybe they're happy to take the hit on it if it makes EY suffer and maybe retreat a little in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

I see Etihad are back to double daily A330 from 777/330, is that a scheduled winter down grade or is it a reaction to Emirates double daily 777 flights ?

It'd be a pity if they are downsizing to the 330, nice seeing some 777's in Dublin.

I'm no expert but I believe the airlines have their routes/aircraft types planned months in advance, so i'd be surprised if they have downgraded so soon after moving to the 777

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've been told that until the clocks go back and the inbound and outbound evening flight come forward a couple of hours that it'll be lightly loaded as the timings are poor for connections at DXB. Haven't seen the timings for the summer season 2015 yet but they'd want to look at it if that's the case as they're well aware of it and how lightly loaded it is. Then again,maybe they're happy to take the hit on it if it makes EY suffer and maybe retreat a little in future.

I was under the impression the schedule up until October was there for the simple reason of both EY and EK using gate 410. EY moved there departure forward by 5 minutes but EK have never used gate 410 so I don't really see why they stuck with the schedule.

Think it moves to 20.20 ex DUB in October (last I checked) and EY at the usualy 19.50.

It'd be a pity if they are downsizing to the 330, nice seeing some 777's in Dublin.

I'm no expert but I believe the airlines have their routes/aircraft types planned months in advance, so i'd be surprised if they have downgraded so soon after moving to the 777

Not as if they ever filled the 777, EY schedules are not changed with 6 weekly 777 and 8 weekly 330. Tuesday is the only all 330 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not as if they ever filled the 777, EY schedules are not changed with 6 weekly 777 and 8 weekly 330. Tuesday is the only all 330 day.

Could have sworn I read somewhere that it's the cargo element that makes the Dublin-Dubai/Abu Dhabi routes so successful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Would prefer to see Shannon or Cork airport be developed more or some high speed rails but that's probably even more unrealistic.

• Advertisement

The Emirates winter schedule involves the evening flight leaving Dubai 1 hour 20 minutes earlier than now and arriving back there an hour earlier.

Current times are: DXB 16:00/DUB 20:50 and DXB 07:15/DUB 12:05 inbound, and DUB 13:50/DXB 00:25 & DUB 22:20/DXB 08:50 outbound.
    The new times are DXB 14:40/DUB 18:50 and DXB 07:00/DUB 11:20 inbound, and DUB 12:55/DXB 00:25 & DUB 20:20/DXB 07:50 outbound.

Bear in mind Dubai clocks don't change, so the timing effect will be an hour more regardless at Dublin.

The timings of the evening flight were excellent for connections at Dubai outbound, but people flying inbound had maybe a longer wait there. The new timetable balances the connecting times a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭rameire

im flying with Etihad end of March 2015 and the flight out in the morning is showing as 77W.
    this was booked 4 weeks ago.
    flight back to Dublin in afternoon is showing as A330, so the outbound evening flight would be the A330.
    so maybe its the winter schedule

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-10-08/Passenger_Numbers_Up_8_In_September.aspx

Latest News
    Passenger Numbers Up 8% In SeptemberOctober 08 2014

Just over 2 million passengers passed through Dublin Airport in September, which was an 8% increase on the same period last year. Passenger volumes to and from continental Europe increased by 5% with just under 1.1 million passengers travelling to continental European destinations during the month. Almost 660,000 passengers travelled to UK destinations in September, which was 7% up over the same period last year. Transatlantic traffic to North America increased by 20% in September with just under 240,000 passengers travelling on this route sector last month. Almost 60,000 passengers travelled to the Middle East and North Africa, an increase of 33% when compared to last year. The number of passengers taking domestic flights declined by 9% with almost 7,000 people travelling on domestic routes last month. So far this year, more than 16.6 million passengers have travelled through Dublin Airport, a 7% increase when compared to the same period last year.

what did the regulator estimate growth at, 3% was it? :rolleyes: with things bouncing back with the economy, new routes and increased frequency and all those new planes ryanair are taking delivery of, that are going to have to be filled. I wouldnt be too surprised to see this level of growth for the next few years...

based on 8% compound growth from 2013 figures, it would put the airport at 25.5 million passengers at end of 2016. Can they start the work once the figure of 25 million is hit or will have they have to wait until the end of the year? The fact the regulator has ordered the DAA to drop airport charges, makes it more likely that Ryanair will introduce more routes and increase frequency, brining forward the 25 million...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I think we must have seen growth in passenger numbers for every month this year? It's brilliant so it is so fair play to everyone involved in bringing in new routes to Dublin!

Apart from March (which was skewed by Easter falling early last year), the figures are up every single month.

It's been running at a 7% cumulative growth virtually every month from the start of Q2.

rameire wrote: »
    im flying with Etihad end of March 2015 and the flight out in the morning is showing as 77W.
    this was booked 4 weeks ago.
    flight back to Dublin in afternoon is showing as A330, so the outbound evening flight would be the A330.
    so maybe its the winter schedule

The morning outbound flight is scheduled to be a 777 each day except Tuesday when it's an A330.

The evening service is scheduled for an A330 each day.

This has not changed - this has been the service frequency all summer (save for a couple of Tuesdays) and will remain for the winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I would expect that aircraft movements has not increased at the same pace; it would trail slightly.
    in 2013 the increase in passenger movements was 5.6% while increase in aircraft movements was 4.5%.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/14-10-08/Passenger_Numbers_Up_8_In_September.aspx

Latest News

what did the regulator estimate growth at, 3% was it? :rolleyes: with things bouncing back with the economy, new routes and increased frequency and all those new planes ryanair are taking delivery of, that are going to have to be filled. I wouldnt be too surprised to see this level of growth for the next few years...

based on 8% compound growth from 2013 figures, it would put the airport at 25.5 million passengers at end of 2016. Can they start the work once the figure of 25 million is hit or will have they have to wait until the end of the year? The fact the regulator has ordered the DAA to drop airport charges, makes it more likely that Ryanair will introduce more routes and increase frequency, brining forward the 25 million...

Not quiet, the growth level will drop and become more modest, 2015 may see higher growth as some capacity is still be absorbed but after April 2015 growth will slow,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

2 stroke wrote: »
    It sickens me the increase in numbers through the airport is seen as growth. More than likely any increase in numbers is due to increased emmigration.

You can't moan, Dublin airport is such a fantastic airport with so many routes/airlines. Belfast is an ancient dump stuck in the 20th century.. With routes to the same old places e.g Majorca and Faro yuck. I had a bad opinion of it but that changed when I went there this June.. very modern... Its just far away..

I would use it more often if it was closer. I am sick and tired of that rotten Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

owenc wrote: »
    You can't moan, Dublin airport is such a fantastic airport with so many routes/airlines. Belfast is an ancient dump stuck in the 20th century.. With routes to the same old places e.g Majorca and Faro yuck. I had a bad opinion of it but that changed when I went there this June.. very modern... Its just far away..

I would use it more often if it was closer. I am sick and tired of that rotten Belfast.

Good lesson for you there. You seem to have strong negative opinions about a lot of things even though you have never been there / tried them, maybe hold of on broadcasting your opinions until you are more educated / experienced

As they say don't knock it till you try it

• Advertisement

I would expect that aircraft movements has not increased at the same pace; it would trail slightly.
    in 2013 the increase in passenger movements was 5.6% while increase in aircraft movements was 4.5%.

The IAAs news page monthly shows traffic figures and is showing this year at 7% for some months but over the summer it was 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

It sickens me the increase in numbers through the airport is seen as growth. More than likely any increase in numbers is due to increased emmigration.

I disagree. With businesses expanding left right and centre and a better attitude toward splashing out on a holiday to the Mediterranean or further afield, I would argue emigration is unrelated to this increase. A 4% increase on 2,000,000 monthly passengers is 80,000. Do you think that many are emigrating per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

A 4% increase on 2,000,000 monthly passengers is 80,000. Do you think that many are emigrating per month?
    I said due to emigration. Think of all those coming back to see the mammy, and flying out again, the number on short term contracts in Canada that have to come back after each job (approx every 6 weeks) to apply for more work out there & the number commuting to jobs in England. And family flying out to visit their loved ones.
    For example, one guy I know that went down below 3 years ago, and has been back every 6 months, sometimes with a ladyfriend. In addition, myself and at least 12 others have flown out to visit him. In total 23 return trips over 3 years, due to one person emigrating. You might see that as growth, but I don't.

I said due to emigration. Think of all those coming back to see the mammy, and flying out again, the number on short term contracts in Canada that have to come back after each job (approx every 6 weeks) to apply for more work out there & the number commuting to jobs in England. And family flying out to visit their loved ones.
    For example, one guy I know that went down below 3 years ago, and has been back every 6 months, sometimes with a ladyfriend. In addition, myself and at least 12 others have flown out to visit him. In total 23 return trips over 3 years, due to one person emigrating. You might see that as growth, but I don't.

It is growth and will be considered as growth. Emigration ALWAYS happens, I have an aunt in Canada for the last 30 years who only went over for a two year college course but ended up staying and having a family. Yes in the last 5-6 years there has been more but everyday for the last 100+ years of flight many people emigrated. It's unfortunate but it's life. I can name you 4 people who have emigrated for non work personal reasons all in the last 3-4 years or more recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's not a hope that that's the case. Emigration would reduce numbers due to lower population leading to less leisure and business traffic for starters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

MYOB please stop being so dismissive of other people's valid observations.

Since I emmigrated in 2011 I have been returning roughly once every 6 to 7 weeks and any other emigrants living in Europe served by a low cost carrier would be returning regularly too.

Not necessarily - public transport numbers (bus/rail/tram) are rising in Ireland, which is a sign of increased economic activity.

I think the increased numbers at Dublin Airport reflects that also.

Emigrants will be an element, but let's be honest they were always there. You can't account for 7% growth in passenger numbers from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB please stop being so dismissive of other people's valid observations.

Since I emmigrated in 2011 I have been returning roughly once every 6 to 7 weeks and any other emigrants living in Europe served by a low cost carrier would be returning regularly too.

Traffic patterns do not agree with it being valid

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well in fairness there has also been a great deal of immigration over the last few years.

Dublin is simply heaving with all the South American, Spanish and Italian immigrants.

I've been saying for the last year that the economy is going to rebound strongly. The signs were clearly there to be seen. Almost every cafe, bar and restaurant in Dublin has a sign in the window looking for employees.

Now we are seeing the confirmation of that in the growth numbers at Dublin Airport and also the recent reports of GDP growth from the ERSI, etc.

The reality is both immigration and emigration can add to a healthy economy. An emigrant to Canada who returns every few weeks brings money earned abroad back into the Irish economy. Likewise a foreign immigrant who moves to Ireland, gets a job at Google and then travels to a different European country once a month for leisure and sight seeing also adds to the economy.

When you have both economic emigration and immigration it is a sign of a healthy, open, competitive economy.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/emigration-of-irish-nationals-falls-20-in-year-to-april-1.1908275
    http://trueeconomics.blogspot.de/2014/08/2782014-migration-population-change-in.html

There are facts for you. There is net emigration from Ireland.

Facts for you are that there is increased traffic with our largest low cost carrier
    " significantly increasing flight frequencies and schedules from Dublin to UK cities, and from Dublin to European capitals" their words, not mine.

FFS it is like Irish Society doesn't want to talk about emigrants in the same way as it didn't talk about Girls who got themselves in trouble or the mentally ill in Generations gone by.

and what's more I wouldn't expect new emigrants to locations further away to have been able to settle themselves down and earn enough to return home to visit friends and family in the first few years of the recession for anything less urgent than a family emergency/funeral.

You're still ignoring the fact that there is increased economic activity here - it's there for everyone to see.

That means that there will be more travel in and out of the country.

There is no other way that you could account for that level of increased passenger numbers.

Advertisement