Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Stade Francais, Friday 17th May 20:00, SS2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I tell you what, I would have loved to have seen a fully fit Leinster side vs Clermont in the group stages, would have been 2 absolute crackers (the match in France was, the one in the RDS not so much). Definitely hard to see past those 2 for 2 or 3 years to come! Fairplay to Leinster, just absolutely ruthless with ball in hand. If they play like that next week you have got to fear for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    If they play like that next week you have got to fear for Ulster.

Definitely, it could be a cricket score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Fairplay to Leinster, just absolutely ruthless with ball in hand. If they play like that next week you have got to fear for Ulster.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves if we give Ulster that much possession Pienaar will create a lot more than the Stade team. Ulster are much better than this Stade team and they have had two weeks rest. I think Leinster can beat them but won't be a cricket score or as comprehensive as last nights game I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

@RossOCK: Winning the Amlin is like sleeping with your best friend's mother. Great while it's happening. But no one wants to discuss it the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gerry Thornley says Andrew Conway was great... I thought he was very average?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd agree with you. I didn't think he stood out too much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What did people think of the atmosphere. I was in the north stand. Was a little quiet, but all the tries were scored the far end, so we had nothing to shout about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd agree with you. I didn't think he stood out too much

Mixed for me. Brilliant take and offload for the Cronin try but one or two errors in defense (although he did make one very good tackle on Sergio P)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A few times Conway received the ball in space and just clearly didn't know what to do. One was right in front of me and you could see his indecision. Lead to a turnover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

MADIGAN IS GODIGAN

Enough of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Well done Leinster. Not the trophy you wanted, but its still great to get something in the bag. I'm sure you'll find a dark corner in one of the trophy cabinets for it :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

errlloyd wrote: »
    What did people think of the atmosphere. I was in the north stand. Was a little quiet, but all the tries were scored the far end, so we had nothing to shout about!!

I was in the Northstand too. I thought the atmosphere was cracking when we got going, but for large parts of the 2nd half it was dead, but that's to be expected, t'was cold and the team took their foot of the gas, we were defending in the middle of the park for most of it, so it's not like we could even get a few defending-on-the-try-line chants.

As an aside, the brass band playing at the bottom of the north stand were cracking! Great buzz, had people out of their seats dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    I was in the Northstand too. I thought the atmosphere was cracking when we got going, but for large parts of the 2nd half it was dead, but that's to be expected, t'was cold and the team took their foot of the gas, we were defending in the middle of the park for most of it, so it's not like we could even get a few defending-on-the-try-line chants.

As an aside, the brass band playing at the bottom of the north stand were cracking! Great buzz, had people out of their seats dancing.

South stand where we were was buzzing. Thought it was the best atmosphere in a good while (though I missed Biarritz, to be fair). Might be to do with the big lump of Stade supporters to our left - just behind the goal posts - making lots of noise, so most of the Leinster crowd were trying to drown them out.

We did get most of the tries though, I suppose.

Yeah I was looking over to the south stand with jealous eyes actually! It always helps to have a big group of away supporters near you, helps the natives pick up their voices a bit. But also you had the view of the only screen! We missed all the replays n stuff. And yeah, all the tries were down your end. During the build up to the one try we got down our end (Healy's) the place was on their feet and very loud indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

North stand 4 life! :p Yeah great atmosphere in the first half, we got to see the leinster defense up close and personal. But it definitely fizzed out a bit in the second half. Yeah the band really brought something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well done Leinster. Not the trophy you wanted, but its still great to get something in the bag. I'm sure you'll find a dark corner in one of the trophy cabinets for it :D .

Pride of place. Sure isn't it the new Heino! :D

Was thinking to myself last night, did Johnny deserve MoTM? And then I remembered that tackle, when Paris were in for a certain try. I've never seen a covering/lifting/holding up tackle made on the line so well. Dunno if the TV caught it, but I'm sure the ball must've been millimeters from touching the line. That ALONE deserved MoTM. The momentum could've swung in Stade Francais' favor it is awarded.

Was thinking to myself last night, did Johnny deserve MoTM? And then I remembered that tackle, when Paris were in for a certain try. I've never seen a covering/lifting/holding up tackle made on the line so well. Dunno if the TV caught it, but I'm sure the ball must've been millimeters from touching the line. That ALONE deserved MoTM. The momentum could've swung in Stade Francais' favor it is awarded.

Just watched it there again, Seanie did as much as sexton for that to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Burgo wrote: »

This. Jonny got the tackle in and held him long enough for Seanie to get under him, but it was Seanie that prevented the grounding. Great work from both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Agree - it was a combined effort. O'Brien deserves a lot of the credit there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Great game, Stade's forwards were a match for us, but the passing skills of Plisson, and at times Dupuy, when they went wide shot them in the foot.

Thought Heaslip, Boss and RK were good for us.

Any word on the injuries? Strauss and SOB looked ok when walking off, MCF wasn't great.

Great game, Stade's forwards were a match for us, but the passing skills of Plisson, and at times Dupuy, when they went wide shot them in the foot.

Thought Heaslip, Boss and RK were good for us.

Any word on the injuries? Strauss and SOB looked ok when walking off, MCF wasn't great.

Kearney had a good game, bar his kicking which was woeful. He made about 10 metres with 3 or 4 kicks.

McFadden came on for the trophy and lap of honour so it wasn't as bad as first thought. Hopefully available next week.

Kearney had a good game, bar his kicking which was woeful. He made about 10 metres with 3 or 4 kicks.

McFadden came on for the trophy and lap of honour so it wasn't as bad as first thought. Hopefully available next week.

Really? That'd be a boost, considering the manner in which he came off.

What happened with the Stade subs?
    Bezy wasn't named originally, but was in the programme.

Who came on and who didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Really? That'd be a boost, considering the manner in which he came off.

Conway was stretchered off in a similar fashion in the Aviva game against Munster and started the next week against Exeter so it wouldn't be hugely surprising.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Conway was stretchered off in a similar fashion in the Aviva game against Munster and started the next week against Exeter so it wouldn't be hugely surprising.

Good point. Thought Fergie was great again last night. Fast becoming my favourite Leinster player.

He's in the Girve/Jenno mode of giving absolutely everything he has for the team.

Might not be the best or biggest player on the pitch, but serious attitude and toughness makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Kearney was a very mixed bag last night. Woeful with the foot, good around the park.

McFadden had a cracker of a match. I always enjoy watching him. Gives 100% all the time. He has quite a smart rugby brain, can read a game well.

Heaslip was similar. Involved in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MBolgia

Bought two terrace tickets to the Amlin final this time last year as a treat for myself and my son. Only thirty quid, so delighted to be going to see Leinster. We normally slum it in the North Stand but last night we were in the Terrace.

Awesome craic, great banter, fantastic view and just good fun all night. I'm a convert. The terrace it is for me from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The south stand got all the tries. The north stand got that, I went wild.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Teferi wrote: »
    Kearney was a very mixed bag last night. Woeful with the foot, good around the park.

He didn't cover himself in glory for their try either.

Advertisement