Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Stade Francais, Friday 17th May 20:00, SS2

Options
  • 16-05-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭

Amlin+Challenge+Cup+Logo+2011+ldsc.jpg

Stage 4 of 5

Tomorrow evening Leinster have a chance to make history by becoming the first team to ever win 3 successive European titles. At the beginning of the season most Leinster fans will obviously have been hoping that this would be a monumental 3 successive Heineken Cups, but sadly that wasn't to be. Instead they take on Stade Francais in the RDS in the Amlin Challenge Cup. This came comes only 6 days after a very tough physical contest against Glasgow in the Pro12 semi-final and Leinster limped off the field that day with both centres having left the field early due to injury, Strauss was taken off at half-time with a knock to the knee and even those that remained until the final whistle looked to have been in the wars in a big way. I can't recall when I've seen so many bloodied players heading back up the tunnnel in the RDS. As a result coach Joe Schmidt has made some changes to the starting line-up. How much these changes were injury enforced and how many are tactical with another tough game to Ulster only 8 days away is hard to tell.

Healy, Strauss, Cullen, McLaughlin and Jennings all drop to the bench while in the backs D'Arcy and O'Driscoll are both injured which sees Madigan start at 12 and McFadden move into the outside centre position. Andrew Conway takes McFaddens place on the wing.

These 7 changes would have seemed catastrophic 2 seasons ago, or even last season. But the drop off from the players that are missing to those taking their places isn't as large as it might seem. McGrath has impressed at LH in the last number of weeks, Cronin is a genuine alternative to Strauss (he just needs to sort out his darts), Ruddock has come on a long way this season and is quickly gaining on McLaughlin at blindside and Sean O'Brien is back for Jennings. The only possible area of concern in the pack is the inclusion of Roux over Cullen. Roux has a lot of potential, but he still doesn't seem to have fully gotten over his injury woes from earlier in the season. He does add some serious muscle to the scrum though and it's probably no surprise to see him on the LH side behind McGrath.

In the backs the drop off is far more noticeable. Great though Madigan has been he isn't a centre. Similarly McFadden has had a wonderful season, mainly on the wing, but he isn't an outside centre. Both players will do a job, and likely do it pretty well, but neither will bring the level of defensive certainty and attacking intelligence that we've seen from messrs D'Arcy and O'Driscoll. Andrew Conways inclusion on the wing is also is necessary due to the lack of other options and while he has looked to be gaining in form he has still been caught out a number of times in the last few weeks.

I won't claim to know a whole lot about the Stade side. We all recognise several names on their teamsheet, but beyond the obvious I wouldn't be familiar. I think Leinsters pack will be well able to hold its own though. And with the likes of Healy, Strauss, Cullen and Jennings (who I thought was immense last week) to spring from the bench I'd be confident that we can at the very least gain parity up front. In the backs we do have the ability to score tries, but nowhere near as much as I'd like. With Cooney, Goodman and D Kearney on the bench there isn't a whole lot of creativity to bring in. I'm going to back Leinster to win by 5, but I don't expect it to be a pretty game.

As a side note we'll see both Stan and Filipe back on the pitch in the RDS, albeit as water boy in Filipes case. Let's be sure to give them a warm welcome....

leinster.gif
    |
    Stade_Francais_logo.png&cfs=1&fallback=hub_likes

15: Rob Kearney|15: Jérome Porical
    14: Andrew Conway|14: Jérémy Sinzelle
    13: Fergus McFadden|13: Geoffrey Doumayrou
    12: Ian Madigan|12: Paul Williams
    11: Isa Nacewa|11: Hugo Bonneval
    10: Jonathan Sexton|10: Jules Plisson
    9: Isaac Boss|9: Julien Dupuy
    |
    1: Jack McGrath|1: Aled De Malmanche
    2: Sean Cronin|2: Laurent Sempere
    3: Mike Ross|3: Rabah Slimani
    4: Quinn Roux|4: Scott Lavalla
    5: Devin Toner|5: Gerhard Mostert
    6: Rhys Ruddock|6: David Lyons
    7: Sean O'Brien|7: Pierre Rabadan
    8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN|8: Sergio Parisse
    |
    16: Richardt Strauss|16: Remi Bonfils
    17: Cian Healy|17: Stan Wright
    18: Jamie Hagan|18: Jérémy Becasseau
    19: Leo Cullen|19: Anton van Zyl
    20: Shane Jennings|20: Lei Tomiki
    21: John Cooney|21: Waisea Vuidarvuwalu
    22: Andrew Goodman|22: Julien Arias
    23: Dave Kearney|23: Paul Warwick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Interesting that Stade have no 9 replacement on the bench, and Warwick is covering 10/12/15.

The two others are wingers if I'm correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Really don't know a whole pile about a lot of that Stade team. But results this season would suggest that Leinster side should win with a bit to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Heaslip and SOB in midfield all day. Paul Williams is the tank in their back line. He's a bit over 15 stone. Take him out of the equation and you've some very slight lads in there with potential for line breaks. They've a big back row. Ruddock will have to be at his best. I don't want to see him touching the ball. He needs to do his best impression of a snow plough and just get in there ruck after ruck, clearing out the lumps. Roux should be more than capable of assisting in this regard too.

Set piece will be important (when isn't it?). The SF scrum is strong enough and got on top of Perpignan significantly in the semi-final. Stem their supply there, solid on our own and things will click. Leinster can absolutely make hay off a good line out though. Good ball off the top is ideal for launching the midfield at their smaller players and getting gain line successes. Once that first one is broken, we've the handling and runners to make hay.

I'd certainly keep ball in hand against this bunch. Their backs are small, nippy and have good hands. Don't let them have the ball. Move the attack repeatedly. Mostert, SLV and Lyons are all big guys and won't want to run all day. They're there to smash, disrupt our platform and arm wrestle Leinster's pack. Don't let them. It's a game made for Reddan but we'll be alright with Boss, I hope, although he's racking up the games now and will be tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Interesting that Stade have no 9 replacement on the bench, and Warwick is covering 10/12/15.

Warwick came on at 9 for a while in the bath game actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Chance to make history
    European Cup and European Challenge Cup holders at the same time (IF only for a day)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Even with injury depletion, 9 to 15 leinster should be well able for stade.

If we win the up front battle, and temper parisse, i think we should have enough out wide to win it.
    I foresee a similar gameplan to the glasgow game... pick and go, one outs... suck in defenders then when the time is right spread it wide to conway / isa and watch the sparks fly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I'd be happier if i saw Cian Healy starting - But this way he's going to make a big impact when he comes off the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

God I miss reddan at times like this. Boss needs to have a big game.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    God I miss reddan at times like this. Boss needs to have a big game.

He certainly needs to up it from last week anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

trouttrout wrote: »
    He certainly needs to up it from last week anyway
    He was very good last week, won us a couple of penalties with clever 'passes' at lazy walkers and kept the pace up for most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

rrpc wrote: »
    He was very good last week

I don't really agree at all. I thought he gave the Glasgow defence a bit too long to set up and didn't really attack the fringes at all. He's also being left out on the pitch too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Boss doesn't seem to realise that he's playing as slowly as he is.In the Glasgow match he was going for breaks around the fringes but the dummy and subsequent run were so slow and telegraphed the pillar defenders were ready to just swallow him up and bring Leinster's ball to a standstill.

From what I've heard on this forum,Stade's backs aren't particularly large and if Boss can get the ball out quickly and have it end up with McFadden,I think there's a good chance he can break through their line.

I'm confident about this match and much like last week,even if Leinster play badly I think they'll pull through in the end

COME ON LEINSTER!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

To be completely honest. There's more players on their starting XV that I have never heard of than those I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

A few interesting calls there. I'm a bit worried about the backs. Admittedly, I don't know much about the Stade backs but I hope Madigan and McFadden click in the centre.

Sexton and Boss need to up their game from last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cant wait for this match....tickets in hand ready to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

This on tv guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

EireIceMan wrote: »
    This on tv guys?

Sky, with highlights on tg4 I'd assume.

http://www.nowtv.com/ is a website run by sky, you can pay a 10er to get 24hr access to all the sports channels. I'd highly recommend it fo anyone without sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From a Leinster point of view I'm not that confident, and if I wasn't a Leinster fan I'd be taking Stade at +11.

Boss, Sexton, Madigan, McFadden isn't a very attacking or cohesive unit. Stade should be able to shut down Madigan and play on his lack of experience at 12.

Up front I think we're stronger than them though.

What's also interesting is that Stade have won away from home in their QF and SF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Would anyone be surprised to see BOD playing 2moro?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Would anyone be surprised to see BOD playing 2moro?

Very.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Ruddock starting?!?!? I really don't see what everyone else sees in him, I'd have four back rowers not in the squad well ahead of him tbh. I must be missing something though seeing as he is often (inexplicably IMO) called into Irish squads. He's basically a poor man's McLaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'm most concerned about our midfield, as Madigan and McFadden haven't clicked together yet and both are out of position. Quinn Roux has to show up as well. This could be very close.

Ruddock starting?!?!? I really don't see what everyone else sees in him, I'd have four back rowers not in the squad well ahead of him tbh. I must be missing something though seeing as he is often (inexplicably IMO) called into Irish squads. He's basically a poor man's McLaughlin.

He's 22 and has captained Leinster on numerous occasions.

Has been quality in cameos this year.

Again, a lot of people expect a backrower these days to be making 80 metre breaks and offloading.

Ruddock isn't that, but what he is is a big solid lump that's an excellent rucker, can jump well and is a perfect 6 for making slow ball quick again.

For forward dominated games against big packs he's a great shout.

Let's remember where Locky was when he was 21, or indeed 24.

Ruddock may not be a Ferris or POM, but he certainly has a big future at HEC level.

It's guys like him, Browne, Locky, Jenno, Cullen that can be the heartbeat of a strong team.

someone has to do the donkey work and do it very well.

Ruddock is ok, not nearly as effective as Locky in the rucking department or carrying but he'll let nobody down. Considering his size I thought he might have pushed on a bit more by now because he looked a serious player u20's

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Does anyone know if TG4 are just showing the highlights later in the evening or will it be the full game? Cheers

trouttrout wrote: »
    Ruddock is ok, not nearly as effective as Locky in the rucking department or carrying but he'll let nobody down. Considering his size I thought he might have pushed on a bit more by now because he looked a serious player u20's

No way, that's just plainly incorrect. I've watched him very closely all year, guys an absolute monster in close.

Keep an eye on him tomorrow night and watch his clearing out.

Again, the guy is 22. Feels like he's been around for ages but he's plenty of time, and in my opinion should be pushing Locky before last weekend.

No way, that's just plainly incorrect. I've watched him very closely all year, guys an absolute monster in close.

Keep an eye on him tomorrow night and watch his clearing out.

Again, the guy is 22. Feels like he's been around for ages but he's plenty of time, and in my opinion should be pushing Locky before last weekend.

It's plainly an opinion.

Locky is one of the best around for the hard graft. Think he offers a lot more than Ruddock in virtually every aspect at this moment and time

Would you say Ruddock is a better lineout operator? Better carrier?

Locky is a better lineout operator, Ruddock is a better ruck clearer and they are about the same as ball carriers.

Locky is at or near his peak, Ruddock is not close to his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Very surprising that they are doing this in a final of a European competition.

Advertisement