Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Leinster Rugby vs Stade Francais, Friday 17th May 20:00, SS2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

ambid wrote: »
    Excellent interview from him. Humble, self-critical, team focused. The Heaslip-bashers will have to work hard to find a reason to criticise him! :D

He didn't mention the coin toss next week, he gave nothing for Muller to think about for the week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Undisputed Champions of Europe until tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Great performance, thanks again Leinster

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

might be shot for this, but thats as perfect as warm up to next week as possible.
    Fergus was the major injury worry but was back out standing for the presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Garseys wrote: »
    Undisputed Champions of Europe until tomorrow! :D

They've unified the belts trophies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

They've unified the belts trophies!

Heinekamlin cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That was a brilliant game.

End to end...Stade just didn't have the handling to score tries.

Bit of a worry as an ulster man to see leinster play like that tonight, but what the hell, should be a cracker next weekend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

RuggieBear wrote: »
    that's connacht in the hc next season too, innit?

From a Connacht fan, Thanks (again). I promise we'll get you back some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

sydthebeat wrote: »
    might be shot for this, but thats as perfect as warm up to next week as possible.
    Fergus was the major injury worry but was back out standing for the presentation.

Schmidt reckons he'll be ok for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mfceiling wrote: »
    That was a brilliant game.

End to end...Stade just didn't have the handling to score tries.

Bit of a worry as an ulster man to see leinster play like that tonight, but what the hell, should be a cracker next weekend as well.

Worry schmorry.

Anyway well done Leinster, a well deserved, albeit unsurprising win. Sexton really has developed into a top top out half. You're lucky to have him:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

From a Connacht fan, Thanks (again). I promise we'll get you back some day.

How about not beating the crap out of us next time were in Galway??!!!!

Great night tonight in the south stand. Handy few French there and bit of craic in the stand. All the tries down our end too.

Long awaited lap of honour from the lads. Fun fact: Heaslip handed his medal to a steward before jumping into the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

19543261 wrote: »
    ****e, missed that, what'd he say?

I was there and missed that......and networks were under pressure, so got nothing on the phone. Great great night!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ambid wrote: »
    Excellent interview from him. Humble, self-critical, team focused. The Heaslip-bashers will have to work hard to find a reason to criticise him! :D

Was he wearing his headphones? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

durkadurka wrote: »
    Great night tonight in the south stand. Handy few French there and bit of craic in the stand. All the tries down our end too.

How many Stade fans as an estimate? I reckon Dublin will be rocking this weekend. Heard Derek McGrath from the ERC on with Matt Cooper this evening mentioning something about a champions village set up in the city, similar to what they do at the soccer final and all major tournaments. Sounds decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Maybe a couple of thousand Stade men. Easy to spot in pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Aidric wrote: »
    How many Stade fans as an estimate? I reckon Dublin will be rocking this weekend. Heard Derek McGrath from the ERC on with Matt Cooper this evening mentioning something about a champions village set up in the city, similar to what they do at the soccer final and all major tournaments. Sounds decent.

Yip The Champions Village is in Merrion Square tomorrow. Bars, live music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Leinster rugby, current Heineken Cup Champions, current Amlin Cup Champions and current British and Irish Cup Champions, roll on the Pro12 final next week. Chuffed!

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

All I'll say is be sure to make the most of celebrating winning a trophy this weekend. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Highlight of the night?

Maire Treasa ar TG4, dolled up to the nines.

Gleoite go deo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Most interesting aspect of the entire game for me is how Leinster just didn't even try and compete at the breakdown. The tactic was to let stade have the ball and trust the defense until they messed up. Now I don't think Schmidt would have been happy with the amount of front foot ball stade got and at the time it was frustrating seeing Leinster play so passively at the breakdown but it was an excellent piece of tactical coaching from Schmidt. Showing the utmost confidence in his players to defend well and be clinical in attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I though Stade were actually brilliant in many aspects of the game. They were awesome at the breakdown, it wasn't Leinster who gave it up, swarming and aggressive in defence and moved the ball wonderfully from attack to attack.
    But Leinster's defence was their equal, and Leinster's offence is simply the best in Europe I am completely convinced. They have a special ability to execute and penetrate in a way that no other European team have and they sliced through Stade when they got a sniff.
    Stade were brilliant but they lacked that special spark of penetration that Leinster have, and at the highest level that is not good enough. Heaslip talked about being flattered at half time ... no way ... they were just clinical in their attacking brilliance.
    In my view Leinster player like European Champions tonight. Their dip in form in the Heineken has robbed them of that trophy but they remain the supreme team on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just back from the match, Leisnter were very clinical with their chances but I was very surprised with the ammount of ball that Stade had. Everything bar the final pass seemed to click for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Great night.

On the terrace. Surrounded by Stade fans. The odd Clermont scattering.

Absolutely fantastic to finally be there to see Leinster life a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

If winning the game/trophy was good, Jamie Heaslip jumping into the crowd and giving me a hug after the game was fcuking great......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

trouttrout wrote: »
    Most interesting aspect of the entire game for me is how Leinster just didn't even try and compete at the breakdown. The tactic was to let stade have the ball and trust the defense until they messed up. Now I don't think Schmidt would have been happy with the amount of front foot ball stade got and at the time it was frustrating seeing Leinster play so passively at the breakdown but it was an excellent piece of tactical coaching from Schmidt. Showing the utmost confidence in his players to defend well and be clinical in attack

This all started after we went clear. Its a common tactic from us when we're 2 scores ahead under Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Also didn't want players at the bottom of a ruck with another big final next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

MADIGAN IS GODIGAN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The Stade gameplay was very easy to read after a short while.
    They'd pass the ball wide but only really attack the gain line when a backrow was on the shoulder of the back in possession. The back would then look to offload to that forward when they were tackled. Otherwise they'd just pass it out along the backline.
    After a while, Leinster were able to stand off them and spot the supporting back row forward and concentrate the defence on that attacking pod.
    Once those players were targeted, the Stade attack kept breaking down.
    Stade tried to vary it in the second alf by speeding up their offloading game but by that stage Leinster had no real difficulty closing them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

They're on the ball

First game in ages that I wasn't at the RDS for and they win a ****ing trophy! Wish I was there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

durkadurka wrote: »
    Fun fact: Heaslip handed his medal to a steward before jumping into the crowd!

I was sitting in front of him he gave it to him as he celebrated in the crowd then took it back when he went back onto the field. The steward didn't get to keep the medal or anything.

Advertisement