Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provincial Schools Cups 2013-2014 [MOD NOTE POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Do you think Wanderers or Landsdowne members ever tried to reserve the Landsdowne pitch for their Metro games to the exclusion of the schools finalists?

For those involved in the schools scene a junior cup final is very far from being any old match. Your hostility to Leinster schools rugby has been clear to see for a long time Sheep. IMO you are attempting to score points by getting people to say they wouldn't feel their cars would be safe in Tallaght or something similar.
    Im not hostile to Leinster schools rugby. Far from it. I totally recognise how without it Irish rugby would be in a bad state but argue that it also has impacted on the growth of the sport.
    Main pitch in Lansdowne is very different to main pitch in Donnybrook very different with how they are both used and ran. Especially now with back pitch in Lansdowne being a 4G pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lukey967

Think it's great that the Leinster Branch have decided on tallaght for the j's final. They are trying to spread the "rugby gospel". They are trying to get more people to support leinster and play the game that we all love, and not just have the upper-class people playing! Great idea in my opinion.
    For all we know the next Brian O Driscoll could come from tallaght!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

lukey967 wrote: »
    Think it's great that the Leinster Branch have decided on tallaght for the j's final. They are trying to spread the "rugby gospel". They are trying to get more people to support leinster and play the game that we all love, and not just have the upper-class people playing! Great idea in my opinion.
    For all we know the next Brian O Driscoll could come from tallaght!

Can't see a game between 15 year olds being the reason for Leinster fanbase increases in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

….really?

How many people from Tallaght, who have no connection with either school, are going to take time out of their day and money out of their pocket, to watch 14/15 year olds from Blackrock College and Belvedere College play against each other?

By all means, play a Leinster underage side game there, or even a British and Irish cup game. But if someone in a suit genuinely moved this game to Tallaght in the hope of increasing the sports popularity in Tallaght, that person has nothing in between his ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

The decision has been made to hold it in Tallaght, and so be it. But for the sake of the argument, how come no-one has mentioned the RDS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Duke Of Evanburgh

sayOnto wrote: »
    Some impressive players in the JCT this year:

Sam Osborne(PR)
    Jack Dunne(2R)
    Charlie Ryan(2R)
    Andrew Murphy(BR)
    Max Kearney(BR)
    Dan O'Donovan(BR)
    Hugh O'Sullivan(SH)
    Patrick Patterson(SH)
    Harry Byrne(OH)
    Chris Carey(C)
    Mark Donnelly(W)
    Rory Clarke(FB)

What Schools are each of these from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Hagz is dead right in this case - as he's already outlined, Donnybrook is the far more convenient option where proximity and transport are concerned. Past pupil and 5th/6th year support for J games isn't great at the best of times, although they can usually be counted on to turn up at a final as it's convenient for them to do so. However, with this decision to move it out to Tallaght that (relative) ease of access is gone and I can see a lot not bothering now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

As a neutral and a holder of a gamesmaster ticket for the Cups this year, I was looking forward to the Junior Cup final as its always a great game and a good atmosphere around Donnybrook that day. Not a hope am I going now. Just far too inconvenient for the neutrals with college, jobs etc. when in Donnybrook, a simple stroll down and then back to college or work afterwards was easy. They have messed it up as a game now definitely, and if it's on tv I'll definitely watch it, but a bit of a let down that it's in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Do you live or near in Tallaght? Have you been to any rugby games there? Do you spend any time there at all? Well I have and I can tell you that Tallaght is soccer country and going to a rugby match there is not a pleasant experience and people, in my opinion, will be put off going to the game by the location. I could understand last years decision to move the Terenure Roscrea game there as it is much more accessible to the M50 for the Roscrea supporters and Terenure isnt a million miles from Tallaght either. But Blackrock and Belvedere? Its 11.7 miles from Blackrock College to Tallaght Stadium and 8.5 miles from Belvedere College. (2.4 and 3.4 miles for each school in Donnybrook's case). Makes no sense to me.

What? What do you mean unpleasant? I was there for a rugby match and had no issues? Tbh I think the reasons you've given above are superficial. It's a final so the players won't care where it's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »
    ….really?

How many people from Tallaght, who have no connection with either school, are going to take time out of their day and money out of their pocket, to watch 14/15 year olds from Blackrock College and Belvedere College play against each other?

By all means, play a Leinster underage side game there, or even a British and Irish cup game. But if someone in a suit genuinely moved this game to Tallaght in the hope of increasing the sports popularity in Tallaght, that person has nothing in between his ears.

It was moved because donnybrook isn't free that weekend.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »

If that's the reason than it's poor planning.

Like I said, it ins't a major issue as the players and parents won't care. But it's just disappointing. Any situation where it is less convenient for the fans of the teams is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Ballycorus is there to be used, throw the J2 games up there or something, the Junior Cup is a staple of the rugby in Leinster and shouldn't be used as an experimental fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

As someone who spends a fair bit of time in the area Donnybrook is much better for the fans. It's simply far better for public transport which is big when talking about a fan base that has so many people 18 and under and also for the past pupils. Of course the players/parents won't care, it's still a big day out in a proper stadium with what I assume is a very nice pitch, but they really should have tried to get this final in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shawneebuy

CBS Wexford defeated Naas CBS in McMullen Cup semi-final today. They now meet St.Fintan's, Sutton in the final

If that's the reason than it's poor planning.

Like I said, it ins't a major issue as the players and parents won't care. But it's just disappointing. Any situation where it is less convenient for the fans of the teams is disappointing.
    Fans will still be there in large numbers. Sure you could say the same about any final/game. Why not make it more convenient but in this case Donnybrook is unavailable and Leinster Branch chose Tallaght. They will still make their money as ground will fill just like Donnybrook would
    matthew8 wrote: »
    As someone who spends a fair bit of time in the area Donnybrook is much better for the fans. It's simply far better for public transport which is big when talking about a fan base that has so many people 18 and under and also for the past pupils. Of course the players/parents won't care, it's still a big day out in a proper stadium with what I assume is a very nice pitch, but they really should have tried to get this final in Donnybrook.
    Is Tallaght Stadium not very close to Luas stop in Tallaght? That makes it fairly convenient to get to via public transport.
    By Donnybrook being better for fans I presume you mean so supporters can go drinking in Kielys etc.

Munster, Leinster and Ulster finals set for Monday while Connacht's is this day week. Any predictions for the 4 winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Duke Of Evanburgh

Fans will still be there in large numbers. Sure you could say the same about any final/game. Why not make it more convenient but in this case Donnybrook is unavailable and Leinster Branch chose Tallaght. They will still make their money as ground will fill just like Donnybrook would
    Is Tallaght Stadium not very close to Luas stop in Tallaght? That makes it fairly convenient to get to via public transport.
    By Donnybrook being better for fans I presume you mean so supporters can go drinking in Kielys etc.

Munster, Leinster and Ulster finals set for Monday while Connacht's is this day week. Any predictions for the 4 winners?

Leinster Final is on Sunday

I don't know. I don't wanna sound like a d*ck, but I think you'd really have to have gone to one of these schools and grown up going regularly to these games to understand why attendance will drop. The proximity of Kiely's doesn't enter the equation. The vast majority of supporters are the school pupils. They don't go to Kiely's afterwards. And past pupils aren't interested in drinking in a pub, especially for a JCT match. They'll drink for the SCT match for sure, but it won't be in a pub.

The convenience of Donnybrook is all about the bus. Seriously. A kid will ask "what bus goes to the stadium? What? I can't get a bus straight there? Forget it then".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

What? What do you mean unpleasant? I was there for a rugby match and had no issues? Tbh I think the reasons you've given above are superficial. It's a final so the players won't care where it's played.

Well I for one would feel far safer parking my car down a side street in Donnybrook rather than a side street in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

I am not associated with either school involved, however I always go to the Junior cup final. I won't be going this year and I guarantee you I won't be the only one. Venue does not suit for a neutral.

Lost Sheep, don't know how much you Leinster schools games you go to, but I go to a lot. I can tell you now with a lot of confidence that the crowd at this final will be awful. There will be no neutrals, no past pupils and no atmosphere. People generally don't like to change from a routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The Luas to Tallaght from a Blackrock point of view is very close to absolutely useless.

• Advertisement

I don't know. I don't wanna sound like a d*ck, but I think you'd really have to have gone to one of these schools and grown up going regularly to these games to understand why attendance will drop. The proximity of Kiely's doesn't enter the equation. The vast majority of supporters are the school pupils. They don't go to Kiely's afterwards. And past pupils aren't interested in drinking in a pub, especially for a JCT match. They'll drink for the SCT match for sure, but it won't be in a pub.

The convenience of Donnybrook is all about the bus. Seriously. A kid will ask "what bus goes to the stadium? What? I can't get a bus straight there? Forget it then".
    I don't think I do and I have enough friends who have been or are still involved in rugby playing schools in Dublin.
    You really implying school kids incapable of getting to Tallaght Stadium.
    Attendance for the final, one of the prestigious schools underage games of the year, will not drop dramatically because of this decision
    easy peasy wrote: »
    I am not associated with either school involved, however I always go to the Junior cup final. I won't be going this year and I guarantee you I won't be the only one. Venue does not suit for a neutral.

Lost Sheep, don't know how much you Leinster schools games you go to, but I go to a lot. I can tell you now with a lot of confidence that the crowd at this final will be awful. There will be no neutrals, no past pupils and no atmosphere. People generally don't like to change from a routine.
    I go to quite a few when I can. None this year. Been to a Connacht Schools game or two though.
    There will still be plenty of neutrals, there certainly be will be plenty of past pupils in attendance and there most certainly will still be the magnificent atmosphere like there is at virtually all schools cup finals.

You really implying school kids incapable of getting to Tallaght Stadium.

No. I'm saying that a lot them won't care enough to go to the extra hassle.
    there certainly be will be plenty of past pupils in attendance

I think maybe our lines are crossed on the definition of a past pupil. When people on here talk about the past pupils at a game, they don't mean someone who at some point in their lives attended the school. It's a term applied to the college kids, the 18-21 year olds. From that perspective, no, there won't be plenty of past pupils.

No. I'm saying that a lot them won't care enough to go to the extra hassle.

I think maybe our lines are crossed on the definition of a past pupil. When people on here talk about the past pupils at a game, they don't mean someone who at some point in their lives attended the school. It's a term applied to the college kids, the 18-21 year olds. From that perspective, no, there won't be plenty of past pupils.
    I've a mate doing some teaching practice in First Year Willow Park and he would say otherwise.

Again on past pupils I would argue otherwise based on anything and everything ive heard from past pupils like you describe. That maybe for an opening round game they wouldn't bother but for a final they would.

Anyway to the 4 senior finals. Who do people predict as winners?
    Garbally/Sligo Grammar, Ard Scoil/Crescent, Blackrock/Clongowes, Sullivan/Methody Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'd think having only seen scores it'll be Garbally in Connacht. Then I think Cresent, Methody and Blackrock.
    Hope I'm wrong on the 3 outside Leinster! Would be great to have a few lesser seen names on the trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

This is making me feel very old but my 15 year old daughter is now talking about going to the final on Sunday.

It not all ticket is it?

This is making me feel very old but my 15 year old daughter is now talking about going to the final on Sunday.

It not all ticket is it?
    It is all ticket. Would imagine ticketmaster still has tickets left

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

It not all ticket is it?

You can buy them on site

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

My predictions;

Garbally/Sligo Grammar, Ard Scoil/Crescent, Blackrock/Clongowes, Sullivan/Methody Belfast

Ard Scoil is a sentimental pick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement