Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McQuaid nominated unanimously by Switzerland (read warning post #78)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Couldn't agree more wav1. This process has encouraged me to get involved in a variety of other initiatives at a local level. I saw a mention on the CI website the other day that membership is up 30% on the same time last year and there plenty of new blood out there to hopefully help out the stalwarts such as yourself who dedicate time and effort into improving the lot of cyclists at all levels in Ireland

I will respect whatever decision is taken and then bow out of this particular issue. Hopefully our efforts will contribute to lasting change in the way cycling is run at a global level, either through "regime change" or a realisation of those in power that they are fully accountable to those who gave them the opportunity to get into a position of influence in the first place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

wav1 wrote: »
    So my wish is vote today,stay friends,and move forward to the next issue with the same vigour.

A nice sentiment but Cycling can only move forward if the people controlling the sport are willing to take it there. At present there are not such people at the helm but hopefully today's EGM will go some way towards changing that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Meeting hasn't started yet. Q for registration. Big crowd here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Meeting hasn't started yet. Q for registration. Big crowd here

Thanks and keep the updates coming!

About 200 here. Just started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

All serene. Speeches just winding up now.u

Doesn't sound like its looking good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

91-74 against.

74 for 91 against

Is that a result?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

74 for McQ 91 against.

**** yes! Well done to everyone who made the effort to make this happen. delighted.

Delighted for all those who worked to get this. Well done!!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Awesome!

Thank you to all those who got out there and made this happen - you've done Irish cycling proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Well done that's great to hear. Best of all democracy the winner and the efforts of a hard working few (boardies and others) have been rewarded. You all deserve a beer, make sure to put on PmcQ's tab ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

So I'm confused now, is this a result for democracy or for anarachy and activism? :)

Well done everyone. Close result, delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

So delighted with this, after my complete disgust with how it had gone initially via the CI board. Extremely relieved too as, from what I could follow on Twitter, there was a lot of support in the crowd for McQuaid.

A lot of this forum's boardsies have an awful lot to be proud of, they've done some incredible work to help make this happen. Congrats guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Excellent outcome, but am disappointed both with the level of votes in support of McQuaid received. Hopefully club delegates voted in accordance with their members' wishes.

This should put real pressure on the Swiss cycling board to reassess why it would be in the best interests of the sport for them to proceed with nominating McQuaid.

Thanks to everyone who worked to ensure the membership of CI were given an opportunity to have their views represented in this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

It's great to see what the influence of secretive commercial interests can achieve /sarcasm

Is this a secret ballot or will the Yes/No lists be published?

• Advertisement

Show of hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

It's great to see what the influence of secretive commercial interests can achieve /sarcasm

Is this a secret ballot or will the Yes/No lists be published?

Will the minutes of the meeting be available?

Why would we want the yes/no lists published? Should we not leave it there and move on?

I hope that the new UCI president, assuming it is not Pat, recognises the part played by Irish cyclists in his election. After all, we have rejected one of our own for the perceived good of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Were any questions asked of the original board who nominated PMQ in the fist place, now shown to be contrary to the membership's wishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Congratulations to those who ensured we got a vote on this.
    Well done indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

531 wrote: »
    Why would we want the yes/no lists published?

Members or prospective members of a club might like to know how the club, through its representatives, voted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

531 wrote: »
    Why would we want the yes/no lists published? Should we not leave it there and move on?
    There is no list, count by hand, thats it.

I was glad to make my first meeting for CI, I can ensure it will be the last GM I miss (barring unforeseen circumstances).

There was alot of support for McQuaid, most of it quite reasonable, I think though that they were largely uneffective as most let one comment slip that stayed in the head. Comments like "better the devil you know", "I have been here for X years and have never seen you before" etc.

I thought it was closer by looking around, but a nice civil meeting. Nice to see democracy in action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

el tel wrote: »
    Were any questions asked of the original board who nominated PMQ in the fist place, now shown to be contrary to the membership's wishes?

Nope, the meeting stuck solely to the motion, it was mentioned a few times in speeches why it may have been reached too but not any specific details.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think the members of Cycling Ireland should be proud of themselves for deciding on a potentially contentious issue in such a civilised fashion. All of the delegates, both for and against the motion, spoke very reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just home, thought it was a well organised well run meeting, most of the contributions were genuine and well thought out even if I didn't agree with them, one or two ran a little close to the old wrap the green flag/keep the Brits out line but in general that was minimised.

While most of the votes were decided before hand it did seem to me that PMcQ's run to the Swiss counted against him, it was the one thing that his supporters never even tried to justify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Thank God for that. At least now If Pat gets another term and continues to drive professional cycling off a cliff it won't be because we put him at the wheel. Well done folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement