Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McQuaid nominated unanimously by Switzerland (read warning post #78)

Options
  • 16-05-2013 9:44am
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

CyclingNews report here
    I put myself forward to serve another term as UCI President on my record of developing the sport throughout the world and on combating the scourge of doping in cycling
    :rolleyes:

I really don't know what more to say at this time, but I guess it just sums the guy up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

"Checkmate" comes to mind.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not quite yet - UCI rules don't allow you to be a member of 2 Federations (strictly not allowed to have licences issued by 2, but to all intents and purposes it's the same thing) - I am therefore assuming he's handed in his Honorary Life Membership of CI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What a gimp.

OK. "Checkmate in one"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You're not allowed to change federations during a calendar year also;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This news totally calls for a Godwinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

“It has become clear that my nomination in Ireland has been politicised by a small group of people."
    So rather than go through the democratic process in Ireland I'll dismiss the cycling public of Ireland and their efforts to be heard as something underhand, and triumphantly snake in the back way like this."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Anyone have any contacts in Swiss cycling clubs? Sounds like they're also in urgent need of a few EGMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    You're not supposed to change federations during a calebndar year also;)

Has somebody being doing research in anticipation of such a move?
    :)

• Advertisement

TBH, I've been surprised he did not go this route from the outset - he always knew there would be opposition here, and I concluded the 2 Federation issue may be "real" - anyway that's one for the lawyers;)

The death of Cycling has just been announced.
    Memorial Service will be held In Moran's Red Cow in June.

Well if he has screwed up and not gone through the proper process regarding "switching" federations and then comes back to CI begging for a nomination I hope the Board tell him where to go (back to Switzerland of course - they should let him in for 2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

News just in: Man wants to win political position in cycling without engaging in politics. Prepared to throw toys out of pram.

And I thought football was run by some unlikeable people.

All hail emperor pat and the continued expansion of cycling into the less civilised regions of the world, for the glory of the UCI.

Maybe we will get to see Kimmage thrown into the colosseum where he will have to re-enact some great cycling battle.

"Are you not entertained?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

"Dictator in perpetuity"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Well if he has screwed up and not gone through the proper process regarding "switching" federations and then comes back to CI begging for a nomination I hope the Board tell him where to go (back to Switzerland of course - they should let him in for 2014)

Even the CI's anger should be raised at this one since he's dismissed the democratic process of their EGM as something underhand & beneath him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The death of Cycling has just been announced.
    Memorial Service will be held In Moran's Red Cow in June.

I presume there will be no EGM now. McQuaid obviously requested CI's nomination and he will withdraw that now as he has the nomination. Therefore nothing to be decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

irishpeloton is raising a few questions on this, around his honorary life membership to Cycling Ireland.

Who's going to enforce the rules though, if it turns out his nomination by Swiss Cycling isn't valid?

It's a joke.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Maybe we will get to see Kimmage thrown into the colosseum where he will have to re-enact some great cycling battle.

"Are you not entertained?"
    I'll volunteer to take the pair of them on, over 5 laps at Sundrive - winner gets to nominate one of the other 2 as President ...

^^^^^^^^
    NO. not entertained. GUTTED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

disgusted - that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

disgusted - that is all

Absolutely, what a bloody w****r.

If there's going to be legals over this (and I'd be surprised if PMcQ didn't have his Is dotted and his Ts crossed before he went down this road) where do I contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Pat want the federations to get a democratic say, so ignores the democratic process underway by his federation, and runs to his other one, so that he can get nominated for a vote where there is no competition...

Sounds like this man's version of democracy was lifted from The Soprano's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

nilhg wrote: »
    Absolutely, what a bloody w****r.

If there's going to be legals over this (and I'd be surprised if PMcQ didn't have his Is dotted and his Ts crossed before he went down this road) where do I contribute?

If he doesn't then he's in a very weak position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    This news totally calls for a Godwinning.

Ah now. This is COMPLETELY different. One went around Switzerland to seek lifelong world domination. Pat's staying in Switzerland. To seek lifelong world domination. Apples and oranges, man. Uncle Pat is a good man, working tirelessly to free us.

Here's a thought:
    Now that Pat has sidestepped the whole pesky democracy schtick and no longer needs our nom, do the (already weak) demands for term limits our board made just disappear? President For Life, anyone?

I'm sure as, years hence, when our children, and our children's children, are ushered tearfully past Pat's waxy, embalmed remains in his colossal mausoleum in McQuiadville (formerly Aigle), they'll look back at this near miss in the early days of the Great Globaliser's reign and be ashamed of our skulduggery and lack of loyalty. Icepicks. We all deserve icepicks.

If he doesn't then he's in a very weak position.

He thought he had on 12 April;)

In terms of any legal challenge, I don't think there's any need for anyone to chip in at this stage - there are some high profile individuals out there who are already looking into this ...

niceonetom wrote: »
    Here's a thought:
    Now that Pat has sidestepped the whole pesky democracy schtick and no longer needs our nom, do the (already weak) demands for term limits our board made just disappear? President For Life, anyone?
    I understand that when these "conditions" were put to him he indicated he would ask, but pretty much gave the impression he would not support them personally ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

He thought he had on 12 April;)

In terms of any legal challenge, I don't think there's any need for anyone to chip in at this stage - there are some high profile individuals out there who are already looking into this ...

Which is fair enough but the whole "Kimmage defence fund" concept of a popular revolt against the unfairness an abuse of position carries more weight than a few big guns squaring up to each other.

Anyway I know time is pressing on this one so whatever way works best is fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

What is the Board of Cycling Irelands' view on this?

They were all set to endorse him initially, then they acquiesced to the EGM, and now?

How do they feel? Embarrassed? Jilted? Not bothered? Delighted someone else has taken the responsibility/blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

The UCI rule is that you hold the licence of the country in which you spend the most time - Dan Martin in Spain, Nico Roche in Monaco, Pat McQuaid in Switzerland. They still have IRL on their UCI codes. Honorary membership is just that - honorary. I suspect that some of the CI honorary members have no licences.

The EGM will have to go ahead as CI must follow company law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement