Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McQuaid nominated unanimously by Switzerland (read warning post #78)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Orwell have six delegates

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyone know the total number of delegates?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

List here.

There's 779 spots in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Ravens 2 against

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

List here.

Amazing the number of small clubs in the country. I'm surprised that the very small ones get two votes. Proportionally, the larger clubs have little enough influence, e.g. Sheeffry Leisure Cycling Club with 6 members gets 2 votes or 0.33 votes per member, Lakeside Whs Mullingar with 449 members gets 7 votes, or 0.016 votes per member. I know who I'd be lobbying if I was trying to get re-elected, and it wouldn't be Orwell or Lakeside members. Odd system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^

Is it my imagination, but I thought UCD cc were in favour?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ROK ON wrote: »
    ^

Is it my imagination, but I thought UCD cc were in favour?

Doozerie confirmed that was a rumour that was unfounded, members voted 2-1 against.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭thebionicdude

SDCC = 3 No

No - Orwell CC(6), Audax Ireland(2 from 3), Blanch Wheelies(3), Swords CC(4), Dungarvan(4), St.Tiernans(3), UCD(3), Laois(2), Zero Gravity Mountain Bike Club(2), Ravens(2), SDCC(3), Headstrong CC (1 from 2)
    Yes - Carrick Wheelers(3), Dunboyne cc(4), Navan(4)

For - 11
    Against - 35

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Headstrong CC, 2 against, 1 definite to turn up and vote, it's hard to get fellas/lassies to give up their Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

List here.

Plus 4 x Provinces get 2 votes each, as do Commissions (Road, Off Road, Track, Paracycling, Women's, Youth I think)

Board members get 1 vote each except for the chairman who gets the casting vote if required ...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Naas CC four delegates voting No, hell No!

No - Orwell CC(6), Audax Ireland(2 from 3), Blanch Wheelies(3), Swords CC(4), Dungarvan(4), St.Tiernans(3), UCD(3), Laois(2), Zero Gravity Mountain Bike Club(2), Ravens(2), SDCC(3), Headstrong CC (1 from 2), Naas(4)
    Yes - Carrick Wheelers(3), Dunboyne cc(4), Navan(4)

For - 11
    Against - 39

1/16 accounted for so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

25 votes from the provinces and commissions.
    Twill be very very close.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ROK ON wrote: »
    25 votes from the provinces and commissions.
    Twill be very very close.

I suspect they will all be yes !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

doozerie wrote: »
    Yes, we had a vote within the club several weeks back, the outcome being that the club delegates will be voting no. Which is why I'm so surprised that people seem to believe the club will be voting yes - that's gotta be due to a misunderstanding as the result of the internal vote was very clear.

Are you going to appear at the meeting as a club delegate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Casati wrote: »
    Are you going to appear at the meeting as a club delegate?

No, I'm on parenting duty that day.

Mind you, I could bring my 4yr old with me, and if Pat was present she could plague him to repeatedly recount the plot of the latest Tinkerbell movie until he finally surrendered and volunteered his resignation just to get out of there. 4yr olds seem utterly immune to condescension and arrogance, so Pat's usual arsenal would be useless against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

doozerie wrote: »
    No, I'm on parenting duty that day.

Mind you, I could bring my 4yr old with me, and if Pat was present she could plague him to repeatedly recount the plot of the latest Tinkerbell movie until he finally surrendered and volunteered his resignation just to get out of there. 4yr olds seem utterly immune to condescension and arrogance, so Pat's usual arsenal would be useless against her.

You misunderestimate him. He's a master of fantasy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm rather intrigued to see how this will all turn out. I imagine the clubs who have made their results public are those who are more inclined to publish news online anyway. Which probably represent a certain demographic - I know our club got a 99:1 proportion of electronic against:for votes, yet when it came to the vote, it was only 6:1.

There are very many votes out there that have not been declared either way, and I fear they may not agree with my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm rather intrigued to see how this will all turn out. I imagine the clubs who have made their results public are those who are more inclined to publish news online anyway. Which probably represent a certain demographic - I know our club got a 99:1 proportion of electronic against:for votes, yet when it came to the vote, it was only 6:1.

There are very many votes out there that have not been declared either way, and I fear they may not agree with my opinion.
    Have you packed your balaclava, rocks and other implements of hooliganism just in case the result doesn't go our way? No point in being an activist if you're passive..... Oh and I shall expect regular text messages as the events unfold, whilst I sip a delicately balance rose as I wait for the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

buffalo wrote: »

I suspect that most will be in his favour. He'll win and then go on to embarrass them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

531 wrote: »
    Cookson @ 4/1, worth a bet?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/sports-novelties/uci-president-election-betting[/QUOTE]

I can't see beyond Lance Armstrong at 300/1.

They seem pretty weird odds considering Cookson & McQ the only candidates I'm aware of so far, & on not just that basis Cookson seems a genuinely very attractive bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Lucan CRC held their EGM last week - all 4 delegates will be voting against the motion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

All those who turn up or whose club send reps deserve respect no matter which side they are on.
    Personaly I really can't see any good reason why he should be nominated but I' espect the result of the vote and as far as I am onerned that'll be the end of my involvement.
    I have no problem with vigorous discussion of the issues but was really disappointed to be criticised personally, it goes for both side tomorrow, play the ball not the man....

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

RobFowl wrote: »
    play the ball not the man....

He's making that pretty difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Best to luck to all the Delegates tomorrow. Big Thanks to all on here who have kept me informed on the issue and to those who have given up a lot of there time in raising awareness of the issues. I hope at least tomorrow democracy will be the winner and the will of the many will be the result. Like the tweet Mr.Fowl linked in another thread i hope friends from both sides don't fall out over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Slash-hooks will be available at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Best of luck today folks
    I'm a TI member not CI but have been following closely and really hope the no's win through
    A few people have put a serious amount of work into getting things to this point - fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭wav1

As Robfowl has said lets have this debate today and vote on it and then move on.Respect the views of others and carry on.I would hate to think that this will become the Irish cyclings version of Roy Keane/Saipan and split friendships etc...Going forward I believe there are equally important issues to be dealt with in the future,at agm's etc,and i hope that the interest in this will be replicated when the time comes around to deal with these matters.EG the proposed mandatory on line entry for races next year etc.These will affect the ordinary club rider probably more than todays outcome.So my wish is vote today,stay friends,and move forward to the next issue with the same vigour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement