Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Fishing In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Might try Ballycotton this evening. High tide is 19:31. What time should I start fishing? Cheers.

Experts say 2 hrs before and after the tide especially around dawn and dusk are the best times to fish for mackerel so. I guess u could try from around 6 ish to 9. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

mystickey wrote: »
    Experts say 2 hrs before and after the tide especially around dawn and dusk are the best times to fish for mackerel so. I guess u could try from around 6 ish to 9. Good luck

Not doing much else anyway, so will head down. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Might try Ballycotton this evening. High tide is 19:31. What time should I start fishing? Cheers.
    Will you give us a shout back tonight, what way you got on.

I think i will go there Thursday morning myself.
    Thanks. Might even stay for high tide that night also.

If i not catch in two sessions, i might as well throw my hat at them

Will you give us a shout back tonight, what way you got on.

I think i will go there Thursday morning myself.
    Thanks. Might even stay for high tide that night also.

If i not catch in two sessions, i might as well throw my hat at them

Certainly will. Might take a few pictures too (if I catch 'em)!

Gave it a miss. Manky outside now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DonJuan83

Hi all
    Went to Kinsale last night. Arrived there 6.30pm.
    Fished off the bridge. Around a dozen more fishing as well.

Just as i started to fish, one guy hauled in 3.
    I said to myself is it game on.
    I hooked 1 myself, fell off just as i had him out of the water.

That was it for the night. No one else caught any thing either.
    There until 8pm. Very disappointing. I have yet to catch a mack
    This is only my second season at it.
    My problem is, im living to far away from the coast. An hour and half to Kinsale for me

I think it is just a hit and miss with the mack now.
    Spoke to one guy there, he said last Sunday was the day to be on the bridge. Hauling them in big time. He said it was just one spot as you would be leaving Kinsale on the right hand side, you would be all most over the bridge, is where they were taking. This was also mentioned a few post back by another board member. They were giving them away. And i not there :(

Yeah Sunday was the day alright. Never seen so many. Fed a lot of neighbours and friends too. Was surprised to see how much some people like mackerel. One of my friends drove from Macroom to the city for some, and he was already after his tea ha ha.

Anyone use one of these to smoke mackerel? Smoked mackerel sounds nice.

Also would these lures catch Bass?

This smoker is identical to the one I linked above. Just re-bagged. A good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I have a smoker similar to that, but a lot older, and mackerel does taste good out of it (most thing I've tried in it do). in a

However, it's a hot smoker so it cooks the fish in few minutes, not like the cold smoked fish you buy in the shops which is cured over hours if not days, so it tastes very different.

Cedrus wrote: »
    I have a smoker similar to that, but a lot older, and mackerel does taste good out of it (most thing I've tried in it do). in a

However, it's a hot smoker so it cooks the fish in few minutes, not like the cold smoked fish you buy in the shops which is cured over hours if not days, so it tastes very different.

Cheers for that.

The guy in this video is leaving the fish smoke for a few hours. Maybe it's a more expensive smoker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Also would these lures catch Bass?

They will, Bass are a pretty aggressive fish and will take anything fishy looking. Though I know that type of plug does not cast well. TBH it seems 90% of Bass are being caught on these . They take Pollack and larger Macks too.

stylie wrote: »
    They will, Bass are a pretty aggressive fish and will take anything fishy looking. Though I know that type of plug does not cast well. TBH it seems 90% of Bass are being caught on these . They take Pollack and larger Macks too.

Cheers stylie. Will order some of them!

Caught 22 macks tonight in Ballycotton. Was catching em in every cast in the end but ran out of feathers. Everyone was hauling em in. Some people caught 100+. Placed was packed, and was difficult to get into the good spots on the pier.

Big swell tonight, fished the same mark as last Thursday however the tide was full tonight when I started. Had 50'ish Macks in close which was surprising considering the swell. So high in fact the rocks I fished off last week were under water. Still I stayed dry which is more than I can say about the Astrid which was just around the corner from this mark. Macks were smaller this week, with no sprats or sandeel in them, must be on the plankton blooms.

Caught 22 macks tonight in Ballycotton. Was catching em in every cast in the end but ran out of feathers. Everyone was hauling em in. Some people caught 100+. Placed was packed, and was difficult to get into the good spots on the pier.
    Hi all
    Was there also myself
    Great crack there. It was packed. I laughted a lot listening to people saying, go easy dont pull. At one stage i caught a line, no rod attached to it, but 5 macks hooked. Every one was getting caught in each others lines.

I Had more than half a manure bag full.
    The guy along side me had every bag and bucket full, he started filling my bag then.:D

Left it at 10.30. The pier was like a fish factory. People cleaning out mackerel

Yeah great fun there last night.

Just had two mackerel for dinner. Delicious!

Did not get to bed until 4am.
    Mother and myself cleaning them out.
    Bought freezer bags on the way home in Tesco Mallow last night.
    Freezer full now with Macks:)

Really enjoyed last night

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Is it only in Ballycotton ? any other good spots ?

robinwing wrote: »
    Is it only in Ballycotton ? any other good spots ?

Whitegate, Cobh, Kinsale, Youghal

They were all over Cobh at high tide this morning, not fishing myself but plenty of people catching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

Hi All

I am new in cork and I am looking for good spot in kinsale....I heard its very good for fishing,actually i have tried the bridge but I want to go out at the rock but cant find good spot as i am not familiar with the town...............Thanks in advance

Any action at ballycotton recently?planning to go there tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Nothing there Monday but they may be in again tomorrow. Very hard to tell this year

Was the're today morning caught around 40 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Was the're today morning caught around 40 of them

High tide was around 7am, were you there then ? Was it busy ?

syboit wrote: »
    High tide was around 7am, were you there then ? Was it busy ?

High tide was at around 6:30 around 7 guys around the pier and the wall and a few more on the other side as well kinda of got busy by around 9 which is when I stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

High tide was at around 6:30 around 7 guys around the pier and the wall and a few more on the other side as well kinda of got busy by around 9 which is when I stopped

wow, fair play to ya getting out that early :)

syboit wrote: »
    wow, fair play to ya getting out that early :)

Well could say considering that some of the other guys were there from 4 in the morning ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

Youghal was full of mackerel this morn at all stages of the tide,my mates kid was catching them by hand as they beached themselves chasing the sprat,people were catching them with landing nets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Browndog82

Anything being caught down in Cobh direction at the moment? Thinking of going down there as I live nearby or would I be better of in Myrtleville/Fountainstown?( Fishing for Mackerel or anything else that bites!!)

Advertisement