Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Fishing In Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2013 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi guys my girlfriend is mad to go fishing. I used to fish for many years but in the last few I had given it up. She got a new rod and reel and wants to go spinning + feathering for mackerel. We live in the city.

Is there anywhere good near the city and if possible could you give some exact locations ? Im not too familiar with the fishing in Cork city or the nearby parts.

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Cobh is your best bet.
    Monkstown pier will yield some later in the summer too.
    Crosshaven has many options.
    It's a bit early yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Hi guys my girlfriend is mad to go fishing. I used to fish for many years but in the last few I had given it up. She got a new rod and reel and wants to go spinning + feathering for mackerel. We live in the city.

Is there anywhere good near the city and if possible could you give some exact locations ? Im not too familiar with the fishing in Cork city or the nearby parts.

Thanks again

Bit early for the mackerel I say but you could try pollock fishing that's great fun too on light gear
    We will be trying by the old head this weekend for them but it can be tricky on the rocks and cliffs for a woman who's not used to it
    If you interested pm me and I will tell you some spots closer if u like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Cobh is your best bet.
    Monkstown pier will yield some later in the summer too.
    Crosshaven has many options.
    It's a bit early yet though.

As Jim said, Cobh is a good spot to try. You can get off the train and start fishing straight off the deep water pier.

Outside the city I like ballycotton, but it can get fairly busy during peak bashing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

realrebel wrote: »
    Bit early for the mackerel I say but you could try pollock fishing that's great fun too on light gear
    We will be trying by the old head this weekend for them but it can be tricky on the rocks and cliffs for a woman who's not used to it
    If you interested pm me and I will tell you some spots closer if u like

hey..could you let us know how ye get on with the pollack,hoping to get out and try for them soon around sandy cove,tried for them recently around courtmac but conditions and the spot i tried werent great,got nothing.

squidly wrote: »
    hey..could you let us know how ye get on with the pollack,hoping to get out and try for them soon around sandy cove,tried for them recently around courtmac but conditions and the spot i tried werent great,got nothing.

Will do boy heading down in the morning hopefully it's not too rough down there and hopefully there will be a few fish around

• Advertisement

Will do boy heading down in the morning hopefully it's not too rough down there and hopefully there will be a few fish around

Was out today and we had a great day loads of mackerel and pollock around and all the mackerel were big too
    One fella was reeling 4 in at a time crazy stuff, I thought it would be July or August before I got some

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Where did you fish.
    Out in a boat or what

Where did you fish.
    Out in a boat or what

Off the rocks around kinsale, was talking to another lad and he had a bucket full and he said he has been getting them before aswell
    Really didn't expect mackerel around so soon

Hope to go to kinsale weekend.
    Would i have to go to Old Head.
    Is that where you fished

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

Was out today and we had a great day loads of mackerel and pollock around and all the mackerel were big too
    One fella was reeling 4 in at a time crazy stuff, I thought it would be July or August before I got some

cheers for the update,going to have a bash at the pollack tomorrow afternoon!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Off the rocks around kinsale, was talking to another lad and he had a bucket full and he said he has been getting them before aswell
    Really didn't expect mackerel around so soon

Exciting stuff, with your news in mind and the supposedly warm weather coming this weekend I hope to get out and do some rock fishing for mackerel between Clon and Rosscarbery.

Exciting stuff, with your news in mind and the supposedly warm weather coming this weekend I hope to get out and do some rock fishing for mackerel between Clon and Rosscarbery.

Was out again today and had loads of pollock again and they were bigger too which was good
    The mackerel were caught again today but only in one spot which was full of anglers so couldn't fish there lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

where abouts out that direction is good enough for the fishing. As my username suggests I'm not from Cork, but living here. Bought a starter kit there a few months ago and caught nothing yet but crabs (the sea variety!), though i was probably early and in the wrong spot (monkstown pier). Looking to head out this weekend.

where abouts out that direction is good enough for the fishing. As my username suggests I'm not from Cork, but living here. Bought a starter kit there a few months ago and caught nothing yet but crabs (the sea variety!), though i was probably early and in the wrong spot (monkstown pier). Looking to head out this weekend.

I only started fishing last summer. On my first outing I had a mate with me who showed me how to cast and tie the line etc. I caught over a dozen mackerel in 2 hours on a spot close enough to Galley Head....it may have been pure luck but there was plenty for the taking there that day.

Pm sent donegaldude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Hi we went out to kinsale , got about 6 pollock ( one 5 pounder and one 4 pounder and the rest ~2 pounds )

Wish we got mackerel but that's the joys of it.

Hi we went out to kinsale , got about 6 pollock ( one 5 pounder and one 4 pounder and the rest ~2 pounds )

Wish we got mackerel but that's the joys of it.

Great stuff that's a nice pollock what part of kinsale did u try?

Any mackerel caught around Cork this weekend

Any mackerel caught around Cork this weekend

Heading to Rosscarbery now, I'll let you know how I get on later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

If I'm at the bridge in kinsale, where do i go to fish off rocks? Girlfriend is mad to go too

• Advertisement

bazery wrote: »
    If I'm at the bridge in kinsale, where do i go to fish off rocks? Girlfriend is mad to go too
    Pm sent

Pm sent

Mackerel are hard to find at the moment, there were some caught around the lighthouse off boats today but that was it I'm afraid, we had pollock to 6lbs today and not just one or two we had about 13 or 14 that size on savage gear sandeels

I was on the pier in Rosscarbery yesterday, was there for about 90 mins but caught nothing. The guys who were there before me caught nothing either but we could see some guys pulling in a few mackerel from the rocks behind the pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

I was on the pier in Rosscarbery yesterday, was there for about 90 mins but caught nothing. The guys who were there before me caught nothing either but we could see some guys pulling in a few mackerel from the rocks behind the pier.

Was out the back of crosshaven today for a few hours. One of the lads caught a very small pollock. Nothing else. When do they come in usually

Mackerel being caught in Kinsale yesterday evening.

High tide was 6pm, of course i did not get there until 7pm, too late.

How dose it go, i think you have to start fishing 2 hours before high tide.

Any one knows Kinsale know where i was fishing, you have to walk through a farm yard.
    My first time there.

Took the wrong route, fell in to a big dyke of nettles, wearing only short sleeves.
    I see where i went wrong, see them fishing just to the right of me.

Lovely quiet place. Will be ready next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Mackerel being caught in Kinsale yesterday evening.

High tide was 6pm, of course i did not get there until 7pm, too late.

How dose it go, i think you have to start fishing 2 hours before high tide.

Any one knows Kinsale know where i was fishing, you have to walk through a farm yard.
    My first time there.

Took the wrong route, fell in to a big dyke of nettles, wearing only short sleeves.
    I see where i went wrong, see them fishing just to the right of me.

Lovely quiet place. Will be ready next time

You''ll wear the long sleeves next time? :D

dmc17 wrote: »

That's a great spot especially for mackerel and up to the right around the rocks there's a footbridge it's lethal for big pollock
    We have got mackerel at all stages of the tide so keep at it even if tide goes out

dmc17 wrote: »
    Very good
    I get it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kfallon2

will you pm me to let me know the places?

• Advertisement

kfallon2 wrote: »
    will you pm me to let me know the places?

In kinsale is it?

Advertisement