Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Fishing In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kfallon2

yes around kinsale please

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

Could you PM me too with the location?

Is it a safe spot to bring the kids? 7 & 11 yrs old?
    They are mad to go fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

caught about thirty mackerel this afternoon in courtmacsherry from a boat,fairly big macks.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

oflynno wrote: »
    Could you PM me too with the location?

Is it a safe spot to bring the kids? 7 & 11 yrs old?
    They are mad to go fishing

I would not recommend you bring the kids to this spot it's fairly dangerous
    Where are u living oflyyno I might be able to point u somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

realrebel wrote: »
    I would not recommend you bring the kids to this spot it's fairly dangerous
    Where are u living oflyyno I might be able to point u somewhere else
    I would second that also, if we are thinking of the same place, through a farm yard.
    Not for children no way

• Advertisement

I would second that also, if we are thinking of the same place, through a farm yard.
    Not for children no way

Yep same place alright even adults find it hard to climb there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Any makarel in ballycotton yet? Weather looks great for the next week or so but don't want to waste a day if there's nothing catching either!

Yep 27, 28 degree all next week.
    Best looking forecast since 2005, they are saying. :)

Talks of it lasting up to the 17th or 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Any updates on Ballycotton? Hope to go mackerel fishing there during the week.

Any updates on Ballycotton? Hope to go mackerel fishing there during the week.

Haven't heard anything bout mackerel been caught for awhile from the shore, I know boats are getting them but they are a long way out still

• Advertisement

realrebel wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything bout mackerel been caught for awhile from the shore, I know boats are getting them but they are a long way out still

Thanks realrebel, will have to wait another while then.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Yeah nothing in ballycotton yet, hopefully the warm weather will pull them in soon, plenty of sprat in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TC cork

Any mackerel in Monkstown yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Could anyone pm me directions on where to fish in kinsale (spinning mackerel) please.I usually go to ballycotton but nothing much up there this year i guess

mystickey wrote: »
    Could anyone pm me directions on where to fish in kinsale (spinning mackerel) please.I usually go to ballycotton but nothing much up there this year i guess

Thanks realrebel for the info

Was at ballycotton today again btw 1&5 and only 5 macks caught by 5 different guys 3 on the wall and 2 on the pier. I myself had 1 but lost it as I was reeling in

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Can anyone just clarify for me, I usually just fish for the macks each season, not other fish.

My buddy went fishing during the night couple of nights ago and told me he caught 10 or so pollock and threw em back in, when I asked why he said they weren't a safe fish to eat.
    This is the first I've ever heard.

Is this the case?..as I wouldn't mind fishing for pollock but don't want to if they're harmful, I rather catch and eat than catch and throw back..

19hz wrote: »
    Can anyone just clarify for me, I usually just fish for the macks each season, not other fish.

My buddy went fishing during the night couple of nights ago and told me he caught 10 or so pollock and threw em back in, when I asked why he said they weren't a safe fish to eat.
    This is the first I've ever heard.

Is this the case?..as I wouldn't mind fishing for pollock but don't want to if they're harmful, I rather catch and eat than catch and throw back..

They may have sea lice on them,cod worm as well but not on everything that might be what he meant besides they have a blant taste me myself am not a big fan of them,for me the main excitement is catching them so I wouldn't mind throwing them back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

They may have sea lice on them,cod worm as well but not on everything that might be what he meant besides they have a blant taste me myself am not a big fan of them,for me the main excitement is catching them so I wouldn't mind throwing them back!!!

Cod worm is killed once cooked. plus when the fish is being filleted you can see them and there very easily removed the fish is in no way spoiled by them.. Nothing wrong with eating pollock will do you no harm once so ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

anyone know any good spots around allihies??
    im planning to throw out a few feathers tomorro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DonJuan83

Hi Lads,

First post. I was on the bridge in kinsale Sunday evening and caught between 80 and 90 mackerel. Went down an hour before high tide and stayed for about an hour and a half. A lot of foreigners passing by were happy to receive some 'free fish' Everyone was catching 4/6 at at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

DonJuan83 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

First post. I was on the bridge in kinsale Sunday evening and caught between 80 and 90 mackerel. Went down an hour before high tide and stayed for about an hour and a half. A lot of foreigners passing by were happy to receive some 'free fish' Everyone was catching 4/6 at at a time.

Good to hear. We fished feathers from the beach behind the Dock pub one night a few years back, the bass drove the mackerel up into the shallows and we were hauling hand over fist till everyone had enough. There were kids catching them with nets you'd get from the pound shop!!
    Tis some crack when they are running and the sea starts boiling. We used both a bubble and a weight to get the line out but not to sink much. It's a good spot when there is not too much weed as you don't snag the line much. There are a few spots up to the left of the beach by the fort that look nice for Bass and Pollock but we had no luck there.
    Happy days.

Had 5 macks at ballycotton pier this morning

Hi all
    Went to Kinsale last night. Arrived there 6.30pm.
    Fished off the bridge. Around a dozen more fishing as well.

Just as i started to fish, one guy hauled in 3.
    I said to myself is it game on.
    I hooked 1 myself, fell off just as i had him out of the water.

That was it for the night. No one else caught any thing either.
    There until 8pm. Very disappointing. I have yet to catch a mack
    This is only my second season at it.
    My problem is, im living to far away from the coast. An hour and half to Kinsale for me

I think it is just a hit and miss with the mack now.
    Spoke to one guy there, he said last Sunday was the day to be on the bridge. Hauling them in big time. He said it was just one spot as you would be leaving Kinsale on the right hand side, you would be all most over the bridge, is where they were taking. This was also mentioned a few post back by another board member. They were giving them away. And i not there :(

The mackerel are there at ballycotton caught around 70 of them this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

The mackerel are there at ballycotton caught around 70 of them this morning

Good god, what did ya do with 70!!

19hz wrote: »
    Good god, what did ya do with 70!!

Gave away quite a few to the neighbours and friends. The rest I guess this week.
    Is going to be mackerel food festival!!!!lol

Might try Ballycotton this evening. High tide is 19:31. What time should I start fishing? Cheers.

I think around an hour before

• Advertisement

Thanks rubbledoubledo, will report back!

Advertisement