Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be Irish Captain under Joe Schmidt?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does Sexton have clauses in his Racing contract to be available for the Irish camps? If he doesn't I think that would lessen his chance of becoming captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

jm08 wrote: »
    And referencing the Persians v Spartans is relevant?

My point is that all army (teams) have very strict protocals about dress and how they present themselves (for inspection). Next we'll be getting lads wearing headphones lining out for the anthems :pac:

I'm bowing out. You made a stupid and ridiculous argument about how military dress standards mean Jamie Heaslip isn't a good rugby captain, and when it's pointed out that your argument isn't even consistent within military terms, you stick your fingers in your ears and run around yelling "la la la, can't hear you, headphones". You're actively detracting from the conversation, and if you're not a troll you need to think long and hard about the fact that your posts make you look like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

My understanding of the deal was that he bargained for and got allowances for the training camps, etc before November tests, 6 nations, etc. Don't know about the mid-season camps they have though, in carton when no games are going to be played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Does Sexton have clauses in his Racing contract to be available for the Irish camps? If he doesn't I think that would lessen his chance of becoming captain.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He will miss one or two of the camps I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Thornley said it last night on Off the Ball that his agent went back and renegotiated it for it.

Very good discussion last night. Worth the listen or do you not want to be seen supporting the competition Thomond ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

The only thing he should have wore is a scowl at the toss.Let the english hoards know they are in for a fight.Our turf.

Not coming out in bare feet listening to some rapper banging on about "bitches" and "ho's" and such like.

How would anyone take him serious,is beyond me.

wearing ONLY a scowl?! jeekers, there's intimidating and there's intimidating

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The only thing he should have wore is a scowl at the toss.Let the english hoards know they are in for a fight.Our turf.

Not coming out in bare feet listening to some rapper banging on about "bitches" and "ho's" and such like.

How would anyone take him serious,is beyond me.

How anyone can take your posts seriously is beyond me. I initially thought you joined up to the forum to troll, and you're slowly proving me right... Improve the quality of your posts or you'll be taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

POC is the outstanding candidate, but Joe might stick with Heaslip. Hopefully its not another case of Heaslip being the captain in name, but others being our onfield leaders.

That has always been the way for us though. While BOD was captain, we had leaders all over the pitch, in POC, Best, ROG and Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Anyway, as in most things, there are more than one way to skin a cat. The POC "fear of god" style of captaining may work for some teams, and some players in some teams, but might not work in others.

For instance, Grant Fox commented that Jim Telfer's spittle-laced Lions motivation in SA wouldn't have taken place in the All Blacks changing room (however well it looked on the tour DVD). He said that their changing room (when he was playing) was calm and if they needed geeing up so much it was an indication that they were not prepared for the match.

Now, we can't comment on what its like inside the changing rooms, we have to go on performance. As bad as this year's 6N was, I think we can easily say that the performance wasn't solely down to the captain's motivational techniques.

A captain has to find his way to lead his players. Jamie can't just start shouting in people's faces once he is made captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Grimebox wrote: »
    JW?

Not a clue. It represents something individual to him, it came up before and he didn't divulge merely that it's a motto/mantra. I believe it's one of Enda McNulty's ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

JW?

Just win, at a guess. 'Just win baby' was a motto of Oakland Raiders coach/general manager Al Davis in their glory days of dominating the NFL, so maybe stolen from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAlrzcdfRY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Anyway, as in most things, there are more than one way to skin a cat. The POC "fear of god" style of captaining may work for some teams, and some players in some teams, but might not work in others.

For instance, Grant Fox commented that Jim Telfer's spittle-laced Lions motivation in SA wouldn't have taken place in the All Blacks changing room (however well it looked on the tour DVD). He said that their changing room (when he was playing) was calm and if they needed geeing up so much it was an indication that they were not prepared for the match.

Now, we can't comment on what its like inside the changing rooms, we have to go on performance. As bad as this year's 6N was, I think we can easily say that the performance wasn't solely down to the captain's motivational techniques.

A captain has to find his way to lead his players. Jamie can't just start shouting in people's faces once he is made captain.

I'd be confident that most captains are well capable of doing the "fear of god" style speeches, we just don't get to see it. That was a rare occurrence for us to see what a captain was saying. We know nothing of players' ability as captain to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have never thought much of POC's captaincy to be honest. I'm sure his forte is the motivating of players, but he never seems to handle the ref particularly well. Often he ends up badgering the ref and turning him against his team rather than having him in his pocket.

There are many different styles of captain and all of the Irish candidates bring something different.

I look forward to seeing how Jamie gets on captaining a motivated team with a decent coach - assuming that Joe leaves him in place at least to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

dub_skav wrote: »
    I have never thought much of POC's captaincy to be honest. I'm sure his forte is the motivating of players, but he never seems to handle the ref particularly well. Often he ends up badgering the ref and turning him against his team rather than having him in his pocket.

There are many different styles of captain and all of the Irish candidates bring something different.

I look forward to seeing how Jamie gets on captaining a motivated team with a decent coach - assuming that Joe leaves him in place at least to start with

Hmmm, I'd have to disagree there..... sometimes he gets on the wrong side of refs, but a lot of the time, he plays the ref very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

dub_skav wrote: »

I can only think of 2 incidents of this happening. POC is a fantastic captain, a leader on the field and off it. The fact that he was selected as Lions captain more or less backs that up too.

I believe there was one occasion where he sweet talked a ref into ignoring that he knocked a player unconscious with his boot... :pac:

and sweet talked the citation commissioner by telepathy, his influences knows no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm bowing out. You made a stupid and ridiculous argument about how military dress standards mean Jamie Heaslip isn't a good rugby captain, and when it's pointed out that your argument isn't even consistent within military terms, you stick your fingers in your ears and run around yelling "la la la, can't hear you, headphones". You're actively detracting from the conversation, and if you're not a troll you need to think long and hard about the fact that your posts make you look like one.

Militaryism has developed a tad from ancient Greece. They didn't have uniforms back then - they are a modern invention, just like in the early part of the last century, the team wouldn't have worn exactly the same attire - maybe the same colour.

Maybe I watch too many war movies, but in them you will see soldiers presenting themselves for inspection to their captain and he is checking that not a hair is out of place, boots are shining etc. etc.

Why don't you explain to me why so many people commented on how he presented himself for the coin toss in the media if its so irrelevant how he presents himself - are they all trolls as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Militaryism has developed a tad from ancient Greece. They didn't have uniforms back then - they are a modern invention, just like in the early part of the last century, the team wouldn't have worn exactly the same attire - maybe the same colour.

Maybe I watch too many war movies, but in them you will see soldiers presenting themselves for inspection to their captain and he is checking that not a hair is out of place, boots are shining etc. etc.

Why don't you explain to me why so many people commented on how he presented himself for the coin toss in the media if its so irrelevant how he presents himself - are they all trolls as well?

What are you on about man? It's rugby, not the military. Comparisons are totally useless, in fact the only thing they have in common is the fact that both have a "captain"

Heaslip's appearance at a coin toss doesn't matter a jot. You really think that anyone would get a mental edge because he's no shoes on and headphones around his neck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Oh lord, we're now using movies as a benchmark. Seriously????

As for the media comments, please link to the 'so many'. You've made wild exaggerations here before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Military uniforms are no different from school uniforms, they are simply a discipline thing. What it has to do with captaincy is beyond me.

I'd be surprised if Schmidt took the captaincy off heaslip. He deserves one more crack at it when everything isn't falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Just for completeness of the discussion, Schmidt has chosen Heaslip as captain for the Amlin final tomorrow night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

headondesk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Seriously lads get over it. Any more mention of the headphone will probably just result in a ban

Bogota wrote: »
    headondesk.jpg

That lad even looks a bit like Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That lad even looks a bit like Heaslip

There's a bit of a Madigan haircut there. It's becoming a trend! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Seriously lads get over it. Any more mention of the headphone will probably just result in a ban

hallelujah.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Brian O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Do not argue with mods on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Jamie should style himself 'Jaime', after his Lannister doppelgänger.

discuss this here

I think that Ireland are going to tear it up so hard over the next year or two, that NZAB supporters levels of hysteria and expectation will wash over this forum like a wave of hysteria with lung puncturing lumps of expectation thrown in.

I am fricking mimsy with excitement for the next Ireland team to take the field.
    But as me auld ma used to say, "If you can't get Barry's, there's always Lyon's"

Advertisement