Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be Irish Captain under Joe Schmidt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Here we ago again.

It seems that some people are only too happy to get sucked into the arguments they claim to hate.

I was dying to know how long it would take for the word "headphones" to crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I really hope this is a joke. I'm going to assume it is because I would prefer to laugh with you than at you!

I'm not exactly taking it too serious, but a test match is a fun version of going to war against another nation when (hopefully) no one gets hurt or dies - but every soldier (player) usually is booted up with buttons shining before they go to 'war'. Last person you'd expect to see in their stocking feet is your captain wearing headphones.

A good captain would be communicating with his troops, not just looking after himself - I'm not sure how you do that with headphones on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm not exactly taking it too serious, but a test match is a fun version of going to war against another nation when (hopefully) no one gets hurt or dies - but every soldier (player) usually is booted up with buttons shining before they go to 'war'. Last person you'd expect to see in their stocking feet is your captain wearing headphones.

A good captain would be communicating with his troops, not just looking after himself - I'm not sure how you do that with headphones on.

I'm lost for words....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Binge101

SOB should be captain.Ticks all the boxs.

Heaslip isn't a nailed on starter in the next few years IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Binge101 wrote: »
    SOB should be captain.Ticks all the boxs.

Heaslip isn't a nailed on starter in the next few years IMO.

What other 8s are there?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    What other 8s are there?

Lets look around the provinces...

Roger Wilson
    Jordi Murphy
    James Coughlan
    Eoin McKeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Roger Wilson
    Jordi Murphy
    James Coughlan
    Conor McKeon

Have to admit I don't know much about McKeon (presume you mean Eoin McKeon) but Wilson and Coughlan are zero threat to Heaslip's international place. Murphy has a long a slog ahead of him to displace Heaslip from Leinster.

So yes, Heaslip will be in the national side for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Roger Wilson
    Jordi Murphy
    James Coughlan
    Conor McKeon

These 4 as starting 8 ahead of a fit Heaslip, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So Heaslip is a nailed on starter - and rightly so. The guy has torn up trees this season for Leinster, and has spent the last few years of his career making other players look good. He's a extremely intelligent rugby player who knows how to play the percentages and whilst he isn't the biggest 8 in the NH he's probably the most skilled technically, great hands, great awareness of space, absolute ball killer and poacher, dynamic runner when he wants to be or a great static trucker if called upon, and a good healthy relationship with all the squad of which respect him very much going by player interviews.

He's perfect captain material.

People laying the blame at his feet for the 6N perhaps need to reassess their knowledge of the international game. People criticizing what he wears to a coin toss... Well, maybe they should concentrate on the game a bit more rather than what happens outside of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

So Heaslip is a nailed on starter - and rightly so. The guy has torn up trees this season for Leinster, and has spent the last few years of his career making other players look good. He's a extremely intelligent rugby player who knows how to play the percentages and whilst he isn't the biggest 8 in the NH he's probably the most skilled technically, great hands, great awareness of space, absolute ball killer and poacher, dynamic runner when he wants to be or a great static trucker if called upon, and a good healthy relationship with all the squad of which respect him very much going by player interviews.

People laying the blame at his feet for the 6N perhaps need to reassess their knowledge of the international game. People criticizing what he wears to a coin toss... Well, maybe they should concentrate on the game a bit more rather than what happens outside of the game.

I have reported this post for making too much sense.

• Advertisement

Its nothing to do with technical skill/ability. I think that Cian Healy is a great player, but he is not captain material. I've never met Cian Healy, but that is the impression I have of him.

He seems to be fairly popular, but I do think he lacks gravitas that BOD, Best, Leo & POC have.

By the way, I don't blame him for the 6Ns, but it didn't help him getting yellow carded etc. And its not just the coin toss - it displays to me that he is way too laid back to be captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Its a pity that its impossible to discuss anything about Heaslip without both sides resulting to inane rhetoric.

Its a pity that its impossible to discuss anything about Heaslip without both sides resulting to inane rhetoric.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Who,pray tell, is going to get rattled by a lad in headphones and a tounge stud?

most top class athletes world wide , are glued to their heaphones pre -match - helps them relax and chill - and focus on the job in hand -

thebaz wrote: »
    most top class athletes world wide , are glued to their heaphones pre -match - helps them relax and chill - and focus on the job in hand -

I think its ok in individual sports like athletics, swimming etc. But not the captain of the team - he has to focus on his team, not just himself.

I did an image search for 'coin toss' in sportsfile and about 20+ images turned up and not one of the players from numerous sports were wearing headphones/no footwear (including players like Parisse who come across as as being fairly relaxed).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe heaslip's unique approach to the coin toss will get us our first win over the ABs. The old school method hasn't worked after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

O'Driscoll says he is the only player who doesn't listen to music and he has to ban Sexton from doing it so he has someone to talk to.

No wonder we're losing. Can't believe they sacked Kidney when all they had to do was confiscate everyone's ipods. Oh well. If only the IRFU were capable of typing "coin toss" in to Google, Irish rugby might actually start going places.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Maybe heaslip's unique approach to the coin toss will get us our first win over the ABs. The old school method hasn't worked after all.

Lets start with wins over England, Italy & Scotland first before moving onto wins over the ABs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think its ok in individual sports like athletics, swimming etc. But not the captain of the team - he has to focus on his team, not just himself.

I did an image search for 'coin toss' in sportsfile and about 20+ images turned up and not one of the players from numerous sports were wearing headphones/no footwear (including players like Parisse who come across as as being fairly relaxed).

Its actually laughable that you keep bringing this up. Get a grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Podge_irl wrote: »

Might piss them off could be another showing the Fern incident, and get up their noses, reckon POC will be Captain Jamie with the head dropped while we were losing this year was not good . Great player though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

You're right, Heaslip should be leading a team sing along on the bus and regaling them for the entire journey about 'manic aggression' and 'ruthlessness'

The fact that Heaslip has headphones on is for a toin coss is a non-event.

You have far too much time on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

My money's on Leo Cullen..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

I'd go with Jonathan Sexton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Would he make Heaslip Irish captain if he's never trusted him to be the Leinster captain?

Rory Best should get it for playing and political reasons.

Wha?

Firstly the Leinster squad picked Cullen as captain, before Schmidt arrived.

Secondly Heaslip has captained Leinster plenty when Cullen hasn't been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

O'Driscoll says he is the only player who doesn't listen to music and he has to ban Sexton from doing it so he has someone to talk to.

I remember him saying that Kearney is the one who generally chats away as he doesn't listen to music on the bus either.

I think Joe will stick with Heaslip. why change it now back to BOD/POC/Best. The guys are still there and will still be providing motivation and morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It is acknowledged as part of sports psychology. Put the player in a frame of mind that's suitable with the music/sounds that lift them/calms them/focuses them as required.

Similarly, players will have certain mantras they use or have written on their gear. Cian Healy always has JW written on his wrist support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Before the battle of Thermopylae, Persian scouts reported that the three hundred Spartans guarding the Hot Gates were wrestling and combing their hair. What ensued was pretty embarrassing for the Persians. Your argument isn't even accurate, much less relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Buer wrote: »
    It is acknowledged as part of sports psychology. Put the player in a frame of mind that's suitable with the music/sounds that lift them/calms them/focuses them as required.

Similarly, players will have certain mantras they use or have written on their gear. Cian Healy always has JW written on his wrist support.

JW?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Jonathan Sexton for me by the way (before the thread was taken horribly off-topic as usual by a certain boards poster)

• Advertisement

Before the battle of Thermopylae, Persian scouts reported that the three hundred Spartans guarding the Hot Gates were wrestling and combing their hair. What ensued was pretty embarrassing for the Persians. Your argument isn't even accurate, much less relevant.

And referencing the Persians v Spartans is relevant?

My point is that all army (teams) have very strict protocals about dress and how they present themselves (for inspection). Next we'll be getting lads wearing headphones lining out for the anthems :pac:

Advertisement