Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be Irish Captain under Joe Schmidt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

jm08 wrote: »
    Do you think the ABs are just doing a dance or trying to intimidate the opposition when they do the haka?

Tbh, I've always imagined that facing the haka would psych up the opposing players more than intimidate them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Do you think the ABs are just doing a dance or trying to intimidate the opposition when they do the haka before a game?

They're earning their Adidas money. And AIG money now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

brinty wrote: »
    Who do I think it will be? Heaslip

Who do I think it should be? O'Connell

Who would I choose? Kearney

Joe has picked Jamie to captain Leinster and will see no reason to change that. I think Heaslip needs to rediscover his best form in a green jersey. He's not played well in green for a long time. Thats not a pop at him cos some will think it is and I'm not going down that route as we'll have the whole DK didn't play him the way Leinster use him blah blah. This is a new team with a new coach. Let Jamie concentrate on his game and let captaincy to someone else.

Joe should choose O'Connell as he delivers no matter the colour of the jersey (lets not forget he's been a Munster, Irish and Lions captain under several different coaches) is inspirational in all he does and he leads by his actions and deeds. It will also help avoid the whole claims of Leinster bias from Munster supporters, which will be made!!

If it was me I'd personally pick Kearney. I think he has the ability, the presence and can see most of the game from the 15 position. He's a captain within the squad already, he's media friendly and speaks very intelligently, he's not afraid to challenge the status quo (ala 2009 and questioning the Munster players). At 27 i think he has the likelyhood to be there for another 5/6 years potentialy through to 2019 and makes a good long term choice.

I would love to see Kearney captain
    He would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

trouttrout wrote: »
    Tbh, I've always imagined that facing the haka would psych up the opposing players more than intimidate them

Going on many reactions from those who have to face it, they say its an unfair advantage and have tried to stop the ABs performing it.

lads 15 is not the position for a captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

I think hell stick with Heaslip. He hasn't covered the green in glory recently but his captaining of leinster makes that a blip rather than a terminal problem imo.

I do wonder who he'll groom to take over. It'll be interesting to see who gets it when heaslip is injured.

I would give it to Chris Henry

A) because I think Joe will have him starting at 7 (with SOB at 6)
    B) because he's captained both Ulster and the Wolfhounds
    C) he's only 28

that's just a few of reasons there are more, the problem with Heaslip is similar to the problem the Lions will have with Warburton. If he under performs what do you do? He's your captain so its not like you can't bench him for a better player, most of the games I've seen Henry play in he's actually been one of the stand out players and has his own fair share of MOTM awards (credit where its due, so has Heaslip of late) Although I just feel Henry would make a better captain going forward and if you need proof watch the AIs, he was the one player I really noticed talking and trying to leading his team mates.

Kayless wrote: »

C) he's only 28

that's just a few of reasons there are more, the problem with Heaslip is similar to the problem the Lions will have with Warburton if he under performs he's your captain so you can't bench him for a better player most of the games I've seen Henry play in he's be one of the stand out players (credit where its due so has Heaslip of late) I just feel Henry would make a better captain going forward and if you need proof watch the AIs he was the one player I noticed always talking and leading his team mates.

You can't give it to Henry. It has to be someone one more or less garunteed a start

Henry certainly isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

C) he's only 28

that's just a few of reasons there are more, the problem with Heaslip is similar to the problem the Lions will have with Warburton if he under performs he's your captain so you can't bench him for a better player most of the games I've seen Henry play in he's be one of the stand out players (credit where its due so has Heaslip of late) I just feel Henry would make a better captain going forward and if you need proof watch the AIs he was the one player I noticed always talking and leading his team mates.

Making Henry captain would be a bit of a stretch but I think he could be a big winner under Schmidt.

Going on many reactions from those who have to face it, they say its an unfair advantage and have tried to stop the ABs performing it.

What does it have to do with this thread actually?

bilston wrote: »
    Making Henry captain would be a bit of a stretch but I think he could be a big winner under Schmidt.

Ya I can see Henry and POM alternating based on opposition, in true Joe style

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

POC is the outstanding candidate, but Joe might stick with Heaslip. Hopefully its not another case of Heaslip being the captain in name, but others being our onfield leaders.

Intimidating the opposition every chance you get. That is why most coaches will tell you they like their team to be lead out by a forward. Players putting on their game face etc and looking intimidating. You know the Paul O'Connell rant "did you put the fear of god into them'.

Look, you might not agree with it, but I think there is a fair bit of research out there to suggest that its a good idea to make your presence felt (i.e., gaa fellows usually give each other a little clip/elbow when running out onto the pitch).

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

Ya I can see Henry and POM alternating based on opposition, in true Joe style

The questions I would ask is

who's the better out and out 7 SOB or Henry? or is SOB better at 6 with Henry at 7 or can we afford to leave POM (with SOB at 7) out?

I do agree I think Henry and POM will see a lot more game time under Joe and for the hell of it I would love to see POM-Henry-SOB but I think a more balanced back row would be SOB-Henry-Heaslip

jm08 you have no idea here what it's like to deal with Heaslip. You're jumping (very willingly) to a conclusion here.

Maybe it's more disconcerting to come up against a captain who is clearly extremely comfortable and laid back considering how nervous most players get before big games? You don't know. Neither do I.

I wouldn't have picked Heaslip as captain, but I couldn't care less how he handles the coin toss, and clearly neither did Kidney, Schmidt or Cheika.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Intimidating the opposition every chance you get.
    100% correct.
    Who,pray tell, is going to get rattled by a lad in headphones and a tounge stud?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

jm08 you have no idea here what it's like to deal with Heaslip. You're jumping (very willingly) to a conclusion here.

Maybe it's more disconcerting to come up against a captain who is clearly extremely comfortable and laid back considering how nervous most players get before big games? You don't know. Neither do I.

I wouldn't have picked Heaslip as captain, but I couldn't care less how he handles the coin toss, and clearly neither did Kidney, Schmidt or Cheika.

Schmidt did say he took Leinster a lot less serious when he say Heaslip and Healy kicking drop goals before one of the Leinster v Clermont games while he was at Clermont, I think it was the one in the RDS and Healy got a try or two.

End of day what he does before and after the game is of no concern once it doesn't effect his performance on the field. We have no idea what he is like in the dressing room or around the team room either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Here we ago again.

Maybe it's more disconcerting to come up against a captain who is clearly extremely comfortable and laid back considering how nervous most players get before big games?.

Did'nt seem to bother the English,Scots,Italians and to a lesser degree Wales/France.
    I'd argue it had the opposite effect.I'd say they loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Do you think the ABs are just doing a dance or trying to intimidate the opposition when they do the haka before a game?

I'm usually against all the rubbish about staring down your opposite man at coin tosses etc but this is actually a good point

Did'nt seem to bother the English,Scots,Italians and to a lesser degree Wales/France.
    I'd argue it had the opposite effect.I'd say they loved it.

And what about his near unbeaten record as Leinster captain?

Strangely enough, there are other factors in deciding the results of rugby match than how scary the captain is in front of one member of the opposition while a referee tosses a piece of metal in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

Thats why we lost all those games because the captain wore headphones, not because we were poorly coached.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Wow I can't believe some people are feeding this manure about Heaslip and headphones. Silverbitch66 made this comment a while back, which sums up what kind of muck we have to filter out here before we get some intelligent debate.
    SOB is bascially a young bull-great when introduced firstly on he scene.Does a few moves in his infancy and impresses the cows.Bombs across the field,sun on his back.Legend.All good.

Then the old bull(s) comes on the scene and slowly starts to figure him out.

Question now is do you snip him,let him have some more grass and eat him or let him grow?

Im not sure but I do love a nice T-bone.biggrin.png

I just checked the photo libraries for some more coin tosses after the England game - against France not a headphone in sight and Jamie had footwear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

he could wear a tutu for all I care.

Ah now!

I think he'll continue with Heaslip in the AIs, and most likely into the 6N. I dont think Schmidts the type of manager (or Ireland are the kind of team) to lose the changing room dynamic, like France (habitually) Wales (Gareth Thomas) England (Johnson) etc. have done, so I wouldn't anticipate, say for instance, if Heaslip had an injury then serious dip in form that he'd be kept on as captain for captaincys sake.

i.e. I dont think Schmidt is going to want/need "allies" or play court games.... he'll keep provincial matters provincial.

in the game of thrones, you win or you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I just checked the photo libraries for some more coin tosses after the England game - against France not a headphone in sight and Jamie had footwear!

You need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Buer wrote: »
    You need help.

I think this thread has gone post-ironic, I can't tell whos joking about the headphones, whos joking about joking about the headphones and who doesnt know / care what the headphones are or what they represent.....

:eek::confused::cool:

maybe I just dont care.

almighty1 wrote: »
    Wow I can't believe some people are feeding this manure about Heaslip and headphones. Silverbitch66 made this comment a while back, which sums up what kind of muck we have to filter out here before we get some intelligent debate.

Leave your county bias at the front door and stop trying to derail this debate,Carlovian.This is about our countrys captain,not a one season wonder.(to be fair,it was some season)
    SOB wont make the lions xv and everyone outside Ireland knows this.Midweeker.
    End of.

I really hope this is a joke. I'm going to assume it is because I would prefer to laugh with you than at you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

In my opinion Heaslip has been a poor Captain (so far), BOD & POC are obvious choices but will retire in the next 1, maybe 2 yrs.

I'd stick with Heaslip, no point in 'subbing' one of the 2 guys in for a year and then inevitably giving the captaincy back to Heaslip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The questions I would ask is

who's the better out and out 7 SOB or Henry? or is SOB better at 6 with Henry at 7 or can we afford to leave POM (with SOB at 7) out?

I do agree I think Henry and POM will see a lot more game time under Joe and for the hell of it I would love to see POM-Henry-SOB but I think a more balanced back row would be SOB-Henry-Heaslip

SOB is a better 6 than POM and a better 7 than Henry. He's just better in general.

Henry would be a good captain candidate if he was a starter, but I don't think you could hand him the captaincy because he's not guaranteed anything. I do think he will get a good amount of gametime though, good player. I think he's the best defensive back row in the country.

Advertisement