Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will be Irish Captain under Joe Schmidt?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 2:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭

Who do you think Joe will pick as captain for Ireland?

Who do you think Joe will pick as captain for Ireland? 180 votes

Rory Best
    0% 0 votes
    Jamie Heaslip
    6% 12 votes
    Paul O'Connell
    66% 119 votes
    Brian O'Driscoll
    27% 49 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Big fan of starting threads eh?!

POC for me, not contest really

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jo...you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

He will stay with Heaslip, why change and cause more contreversy and dis illusion a player. He isn't Kidney you know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

He'll stay with Heaslip I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Two of the choices are in the closing stages of their careers and another isn't automatic first choice in his position, so it looks like the poll is heavily skewed towards Jamie Heaslip*.

*I don't really have a problem with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I doubt a change will even be considered let alone made. Heaslip is the man in place. He has been Schmidt's captain at Leinster for many games. The other contenders are well down the road and close to retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Depends on fitness. If POC is likely to miss much time with injuries he may stick with Heaslip. Otherwise I imagine he'll be keen to avoid the impression of a Leinster bias.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Ruck Inspector

rrpc wrote: »
    Two of the choices are in the closing stages of their careers and another isn't automatic first choice in his position, so it looks like the poll is heavily skewed towards Jamie Heaslip*.

*I don't really have a problem with that

Just thought these four were the only realistic options?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yeah Heaslip has been Schmidt's choice when there is no Cullen, even if BOD is on the field, so I doubt BOD will come into the equation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just thought these four were the only realistic options?
    Which kind of means that there aren't any other options right now. That's the way I see it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Who do I think should be Irish captain? O'Connell

Who do I think Schmidt will choose? Heaslip

Whoever he goes with, I don't see it making much of a difference to the team or their performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I'd have POC to lead us to 2015 with a view to Heaslip taking over then but I'd have no problem with sticking with Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Heaslip should be captain, and Heaslip will be captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I reckon he will stick with Heaslip. I doubt he would have got rid of BOD, but I don't think he will re-instate him either. Heaslip is obviously going to be around for a while, whereas the other three have all had injury woes in the last year, and may have more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

trouttrout wrote: »
    I'd have POC to lead us to 2015 with a view to Heaslip taking over then but I'd have no problem with sticking with Heaslip

If POC was going to take over (and I wouldn't make that call), I wouldn't give it to Heaslip. It would be a 36 year old finishing up and a 32 year old taking over. Although I'm sure POC will be intending to play until then, there's far from any guarantee that he won't ship another significant injury and have to call it a day.

I'd look to give it to someone like POM after 2015 if he has continued to progress as he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

vienne86 wrote: »
    I reckon he will stick with Heaslip. I doubt he would have got rid of BOD, but I don't think he will re-instate him either. Heaslip is obviously going to be around for a while, whereas the other three have all had injury woes in the last year, and may have more.

I'd say BOD would of taken a back seat himself. I'd say he probably would of wanted to take a back seat position last season but Mr. Kidney took that decision away from him.

Now that he's not captain he'll have more of a chance to focus on his own game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think POC is probably the best captain, but with an uncertain injury record, I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck with Heaslip.

I think Heaslip was the logical choice at the time, I do think he's a good captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Would he make Heaslip Irish captain if he's never trusted him to be the Leinster captain?

Rory Best should get it for playing and political reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Would he make Heaslip Irish captain if he's never trusted him to be the Leinster captain?

He has? He's made Heaslip captain when Leo isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

He has trusted Heaslip many times. Leinster have lost one game while Heaslip was captain against Clermont in the Aviva.

For playing reasons? He's not even assured of his place with Strauss there and political reasons? WTF are those?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

ambid wrote: »
    Depends on fitness. If POC is likely to miss much time with injuries he may stick with Heaslip. Otherwise I imagine he'll be keen to avoid the impression of a Leinster bias.

I imagine this won't even be close to his selection thought process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Heaslip is the man in possession and there is no reason to take it off him. I can see Matt O'Connor giving him the job next year with Leinster as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Based on what?!

Heaslip is the man in possession and there is no reason to take it off him. I can see Matt O'Connor giving him the job next year with Leinster as well.

Don't think so, I reckon Leo will stay as captain as Jamie will be away for vast chunks of the year.

Similar to reasons Howlett was captain for Munster this year.

Don't think so, I reckon Leo will stay as captain as Jamie will be away for vast chunks of the year.

Similar to reasons Howlett was captain for Munster this year.

Leo will surely be only to play 50% of games next year at most with age...

ambid wrote: »

This would be evidence of bias.

Bias means that he would make any decision whatsoever based on the fact that Heaslip was a Leinster player under him.

If he made the decision that he couldn't choose a Leinster player as captain that is a biased decision.

Instead what we want is him simply not to factor into the decision that fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 SkadooshJ

I think he will change it and someone will get it that nobody expects.

SkadooshJ wrote: »
    I think he will change it and someone will get it that nobody expects.

Stephen Archer...

Leo will surely be only to play 50% of games next year at most with age...

Well he played the majority of games this year, and has looked fine, so don't think that's a concern.

The fact that Mike Mac is there might relegate him slightly, however you'd have Jenno to step in as captain in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well he played the majority of games this year, and has looked fine, so don't think that's a concern.

The fact that Mike Mac is there might relegate him slightly, however you'd have Jenno to step in as captain in that case.

There is a possibility that in a fully first-choice Leinster team that neither Cullen or Jennings would be starting? Suppose it depends on how O'Connor sees them but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a change there.

Still though, Heaslip is as closed to a nailed-on starter with Ireland as anyone...and has an excellent injury record, plus leadership qualities. It'd make sense to keep him.

Advertisement