Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ennis woman gets 6 month driving ban for parking in disabled spot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    The only people who should park in disabled parking spots are those with the blue coloured disabled parking pass which covers the disabled driver or the disabled passenger(s). There are different types of disability, a person doesn't have to be a wheelchair user to qualify for the pass, but the application for the pass has to be approved by a Doctor, which is sent to the Irish Wheelchair Association in Clane for approval. There is photo ID on it and it may have a 2 year lifespan, it is specific for the person and not the vehicle. I have the pass myself but I won't need to renew it when it expires in a few months as my disability is not permanent. I was really ill and spent 6 months in hospital re cancer, surgery and transplant and another 18 months dealing with post transplant effects. I was housebound for a long time and effectively had to learn to walk again. The parking pass made a huge difference for me mostly for parking in the hospital and outside doctors etc. I was too ill/weak to drive so my wife drove me.

So, the parking pass is important to the legitimate users of it. Certainly, anyone who parks in a disabled space without a permit is inconsiderate and deserves sanction.

Also, an able bodied driver is not permitted to park in the space if the holder of the disabled pass is not in the car. The pass will be revoked by the IWA if detected/reported by a warden.

Yes there is a disabled parking place on the street outside my neighbour's door and it is very common to see someone drive into it (alone in car) with the blue disabled pass on the windscreen and then head off to the shops on foot with clearly no disability at all. The pass is obviously for some member of their family who is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes there is a disabled parking place on the street outside my neighbour's door and it is very common to see someone drive into it (alone in car) with the blue disabled pass on the windscreen and then head off to the shops on foot with clearly no disability at all. The pass is obviously for some member of their family who is disabled.
    This is illegal. The badge is only valid for use while the disabled person is travelling in the vehicle as passenger or driver.

If you see someone parking in a disabled spot who you believe isn't entitled to (afaik those who qualify are those for whom walking is a difficulty or who are legally blind), feel free to report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Big Davey wrote: »
    Lidl and aldi should do a little video of what goes on in the disabled spaces in their car parks they are nearly always taken and its always black people I see without permits who park in them. Sorry to the PC brigade but that is what I see. There should be fines handed out more often and video evidence should be enough every shop should go through the video it would not take that long and a €80 fine off in the post to every person with no permit. Only way to teach some people to respect others less fortunate than able bodied people is to hurt them in the pocket.

This piece of nonsense has given me the biggest laugh for a long time! Funny, but I most be the only person of colour who DOESN'T park in P & C spaces and DOESN'T park in the disabled spaces either. Funny that...

Next you'll be telling me all white people don't park in them either. That's equally asinine.

FWIW - I think the quickest way to get people to respect the disabled spaces is to just fine and tow. If that happened to Girlfriend, she would've been down to the pound so fast your head would spin! None of this just a fine nonsense. If you want your car, get it out of the pound, pay the tow, storage AND the fine. She wouldn't be too quick to do that again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sobanek wrote: »
    COMPLAINCEPTION.

LOL. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anybody ever used disabled toilets when the other ones are full?

• Advertisement

I have, but only when desperate! I try not to though...

There's a difference between a call of nature and pure ignorance though.

There are those who would disagree and that on principle you shouldn't. A bit like taking ap&c space at 11pm when the carpark is empty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are those who would disagree and that on principle you shouldn't. A bit like taking ap&c space at 11pm when the carpark is empty ;)

Nice one, Colm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would you pull into a disabled spot if it was the only place available if your child got sick in the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Except that one is an offence and the other isn't.

Also there doesn't seem to be a problem with people using those toilets in preference over their own. Whereas with the parking bay's there is. people constantly use them and people with permits can't get into them. I know this a problem at our local shops. On the flip side using them a unsocial hours where theres no problem with space probably doesn't put anyone out. But really do you need to if the place is empty? Its a bit like 24 bus lanes with no 24 buses. They do that because people are ignoring the law which becomes habit and then you find people stuck in them at peak. But you know this ...

Reminds me off this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2esYwKxiU

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »

Which one is an offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Vojera wrote: »
    While I absolutely do not agree with parking in disabled spaces without a permit, a six month ban is a bit much, especially considering all the other things bad drivers do without a ban.

bull****, if the dizzy bitch had paid the 80 euro fine she got first, or even showed up in court, she wouldn't be in this position , good enough for her:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

seamus wrote: »
    This is illegal. The badge is only valid for use while the disabled person is travelling in the vehicle as passenger or driver.

If you see someone parking in a disabled spot who you believe isn't entitled to (afaik those who qualify are those for whom walking is a difficulty or who are legally blind), feel free to report them.

+1 Which is exactly what I saw happen outside Waterford Regional Hospital (Ardkeen) a few months ago when visiting someone.

What appeared to happen was that a family of 3 or 4 able-bodied people drove to the hospital to visit their granny in her own car with the disabled sticker on the dashboard. Instead of parking in the car park where you take a ticket at the barrier and pay to exit, they parked in a disabled bay right outside the front door of the hospital.

Someone obviously saw them alight from the car with not one of them looking remotely disabled and reported them so by the time they came out they had been clamped - justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭fyfe79

jonny666 wrote: »
    Not my problem if ye can't get kids out in a normal space. Most of the p & c spots I've seen are normal size anyways

It may be your problem when a car door smacks into your car, leaving a dent, because the 'parent & child' spots were gone. With the best will in the world, it's difficult not to open a door fully when trying to get the little one out.

The spots themselves ARE normal size, however they usually have a couple feet of "no man's land" space on either side, allowing you to fully swing open the doors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The spots themselves ARE normal size, however they usually have a couple feet of "no man's land" space on either side, allowing you to fully swing open the doors.

The problem with parking spots these days is that they've not grown along with the people and the cars. As people we've gotten bigger (taller and fatter) so the cars have gotten bigger to accommodate us but the parking spots are still the same size as they were a generation or two ago.

The spots at Blanch shopping centre for example are awfully tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jesus. wrote: »
    The problem with parking spots these days is that they've not grown along with the people and the cars. As people we've gotten bigger (taller and fatter) so the cars have gotten bigger to accommodate us but the parking spots are still the same size as they were a generation or two ago.

The spots at Blanch shopping centre for example are awfully tight.

Cars have gotten bigger because they're full of crumple zones, SRS rigs and other such safety-enhancing paraphernalia. Not because of larger "crumple zones" on the folk therein! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

I think a higher fine would be more effective than a driving ban, I don't think its harsh, I think its a bit leanant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Cars have gotten bigger because they're full of crumple zones, SRS rigs and other such safety-enhancing paraphernalia. Not because of larger "crumple zones" on the folk therein! :D

There's absolutely no doubt that the size of people's crumple zones has contributed to modern cars added girth - ye big goose! ;)

I was looking into an old Anglia in a car park the other day and I realised that a lot of blokes of 2013 vintage wouldn't have a hope of squeezing themselves into the two front seats. A lad I know has a 70's Viva and again, the folk of today would be very cramped in it. They've had to pull out old theatre seats and put in new ones almost twice the size because modern people couldn't fit in the old ones!

You're half right Goose but we're a lot taller and fatter these days than we were back in the old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jesus. wrote: »
    There's absolutely no doubt that the size of people's crumple zones has contributed to modern cars added girth - ye big goose! ;)

I was looking into an old Anglia in a car park the other day and I realised that a lot of blokes of 2013 vintage wouldn't have a hope of squeezing themselves into the two front seats. A lad I know has a 70's Viva and again, the folk of today would be very cramped in it. They've had to pull out old theatre seats and put in new ones almost twice the size because modern people couldn't fit in the old ones!

You're half right Goose but we're a lot taller and fatter these days than we were back in the old days!

I get the feeling I "know" you from somewhere... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anybody ever used disabled toilets when the other ones are full?

Yes. They are not 'disabled ONLY' toilets. They are disabled 'accessible' toilets (aka Part M ) ones, so are free for others to use as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Sobanek wrote: »
    I don't know what the customs are over in Limerick, but I certainly don't think a 20 year old having kids is a usual sight over here.

Look, I dont know where "over there" is, and frankly, could care less. if you are twenty, we should let it slide, as I am hopeful you will see the error of your ways in years to come.......

I think we are a bit off the thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

I said its only black people I see. I did not say only black people do it or that white people don't . Next you will probably play your "race" card. It's better to read people's posts properly than to jump to conclusions.

This piece of nonsense has given me the biggest laugh for a long time! Funny, but I most be the only person of colour who DOESN'T park in P & C spaces and DOESN'T park in the disabled spaces either. Funny that...

Next you'll be telling me all white people don't park in them either. That's equally asinine.

FWIW - I think the quickest way to get people to respect the disabled spaces is to just fine and tow. If that happened to Girlfriend, she would've been down to the pound so fast your head would spin! None of this just a fine nonsense. If you want your car, get it out of the pound, pay the tow, storage AND the fine. She wouldn't be too quick to do that again!!

Who's playing the race card? Why don't YOU read what I post rather than continuing to spout rubbish? Please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Vojera wrote: »
    While I absolutely do not agree with parking in disabled spaces without a permit, a six month ban is a bit much, especially considering all the other things bad drivers do without a ban.

Perhaps it is a little unfair... BUT, to avoid such a severe ban, all she had to do was park in a non-disabled spot. It's a pretty easy and pain-free way of avoiding fines and bans ;)

I think the ban came about because the silly woman didn't attend court. The judge saw it as contempt, therefore he treated the matter more harshly than he might have otherwise done had she attended. Judges tend to be a bit funny about contempt! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Who's playing the race card? Why don't YOU read what I post rather than continuing to spout rubbish? Please!!
    I read what you posted and felt my reply was fair.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

BostonB wrote: »

Also there doesn't seem to be a problem with people using those toilets in preference over their own. Whereas with the parking bay's there is. people constantly use them and people with permits can't get into them. I know this a problem at our local shops. On the flip side using them a unsocial hours where theres no problem with space probably doesn't put anyone out. But really do you need to if the place is empty? Its a bit like 24 bus lanes with no 24 buses. They do that because people are ignoring the law which becomes habit and then you find people stuck in them at peak. But you know this ...

Reminds me off this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2esYwKxiU

But, it is not an offence for anyone to
    a) use a disabled accessible toilet.
    b) park in any "Parent & child" bay, such bays have no legal standing.
    c) park in a disabled person's bay in a privately owned carpark (e.g. shopping centre), such bays have no legal standing either.

What a lot of people don't realise is that the law only applies to marked Disabled Persons bays under the control of a roads authority, i.e. public roads and local authority car parks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

slimjimmc wrote: »
    But, it is not an offence for anyone to
    a) use a disabled accessible toilet.
    b) park in any "Parent & child" bay, such bays have no legal standing.
    c) park in a disabled person's bay in a privately owned carpark (e.g. shopping centre), such bays have no legal standing either.

What a lot of people don't realise is that the law only applies to marked Disabled Persons bays under the control of a roads authority, i.e. public roads and local authority car parks.

Hi slimjimmc, not directed at you, just a general rant.
    The problem is that people DO realise that. Fully.
    So they say "Up Yours!" to the world and park there to prove what cool rebels they are.
    Pathetic.
    I don't know how you people do it in this country, but in Germany my mammy or daddy would take me by the hand and show me what rules apply in what situations and to follow them. Not just blindly and to question them as well, but not just to ignore them when it doesn't suit me. If I think something is unjust and unfair I can protest, lobby, open a facebook page, do a public dance display in the center of town, etc...
    In Ireland it seems the approach is to say to little Johhny "now there's the world, treat is as your playground, banklink, toilet, etc.. do what you want, remember, you come first before anything or anyone and if anyone tries to stop you, either shout at them or ignore them. You are the star of the show, no one else matters and make sure you're OK first"

To the argument the woman has emigrated: How did she drive her car then?
    To the argument she didn't know she had a ticket: It's usually there under the wiper and there's usually a few reminders in the post.
    It is possible that she didn't know, but 99% unlikely. What is 99% likely though is the typical attitude of "Sure I'm grand, if I just ignore it, it'll go away, I'm way too important to get a ticket!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Actually I think a lot of people don't realise the scope of the law, even on boards.ie you see people talk about 'illegal' parking in privately owned carparks. I believe most people understand what these bays are for and do abide by the car park owner's wishes, but some think it's only a minor indiscretion and acceptable for them to do and, as you indicated, some just like to give the middle finger to any rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

A neighbor has a disabled parking bay and people regularly park there sometimes for hours without a disabled badge. The person regularly has to park streets away as a result and stumble home. The clampers never come without her specifically ringing them and usually its at least a day later before they do. In most cases the offending car has moved . I only saw cars being clamped on 2 occasions and that was after a full weekend.

In many cases people will park with the boot of the car well in over the line but the rear wheel on the line. This is not by accident as there are other spaces at the time , its intentional and it seems to be the same cars that do this on a regular basis. The effect is the same as if they parked fully in the bay as its a very busy road and people seem to go berserk if there is any impediment to their progress. The effect is that the bay is rendered unusable by the intended user. Its territoriality I guess.

Advertisement