Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ennis woman gets 6 month driving ban for parking in disabled spot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

While I absolutely do not agree with parking in disabled spaces without a permit, a six month ban is a bit much, especially considering all the other things bad drivers do without a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I also think parking in a disabled spot is despicable behaviour, but IMO a 6 month ban is way over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

6 months for not paying the fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An article wouldn't be an article without Conor Faughnan sticking his oar on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anan1 wrote: »
    I also think parking in a disabled spot is despicable behaviour, but IMO a 6 month ban is way over the top.

The 6 month ban came after the woman refused to pay the original €80 fine.

She didn't even show up in court or even have a solicitor there to represent her.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

The man comes across as utterly clueless every time I hear him on the radio.

The 6 month ban came after the woman refused to pay the original €80 fine.

She didn't even show up in court or even have a solicitor there to represent her.
    And the punishment for that should of course be greater than the original fine. If she'd got, say, a €500 fine then I'd call that fair. Of course if she didn't pay that fine then things would have to escalate further, perhaps ultimately to the ban. But straight from an unpaid ticket to a driving ban is way out of proportion, IMO at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Naraka

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/judge-gets-tough-on-illegal-parking-231321.html

OK. She got the ban subsequently for not paying the original €80 fine, but I see this as a significant victory for those of us who actually respect disable parking spots.

A 6 month ban and a cheque to be written for €850 to boot. This woman will never do it again.

Rightly so. Firstly, she had the nerve to park in a disabled parking space. Secondly, she completely undermined the whole situation by not paying the fine or turning up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

If only the same rules applied to shopping centres where most of the ignorant and selfish parking in disabled spots is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Vojera wrote: »
    While I absolutely do not agree with parking in disabled spaces without a permit, a six month ban is a bit much, especially considering all the other things bad drivers do without a ban.

I disagree with you as I remember when my late mam was ill selfish people blocked the disabled bays which made life even more difficult. The 'just a sec' excuse does not wash. It is people being selfish and if more penalties such as this were applied then the spaces would be there for those who really need them.

On a side issue, has anyone ever noticed the amount of able bodied - though usually youngish and fat - people that block disabled spots at supermarkets etc. I have, on occasion, notified management who have requested the offender to move. Fair play for once Tesco1

• Advertisement

Minister wrote: »
    On a side issue, has anyone ever noticed the amount of able bodied - though usually youngish and fat - people that block disabled spots at supermarkets etc. I have, on occasion, notified management who have requested the offender to move. Fair play for once Tesco1

Yeah, some of them are on here.

Oops forgot this - :pac:

I disagree with you as I remember when my late mam was ill selfish people blocked the disabled bays which made life even more difficult. The 'just a sec' excuse does not wash. It is people being selfish and if more penalties such as this were applied then the spaces would be there for those who really need them.

I agree that there is no excuse for parking in a disabled spot and I understand how important it is to have those spaces, both because they're wider to allow easier access and because they're closer. But it just seems to me that when some judges have trouble giving out bans for drink driving that this is a bit ott. There doesn't seem to be any consistency at all.

Never knew we had people on here defending illegally parking in shopping centre disable spots.

I seem to remember a thread where people said they'd happily park in the parent and child ones without having a child with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Oops forgot this - :pac:
    You can edit your posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Parent/child spaces and disabled spaces completely different things to be fair.

Parent/child spaces and disabled spaces completely different things to be fair.

Not too sure if they are in shopping centres as there's no law governing their usage in private car parks.

Both spaces are not intended for use by single able bodied people. Its people's morals which make them different in this situation.

I don't think we need more draconian penalties, just better enforcement of the existing ones. People don't park in disabled bays because they feel that they can afford the €80 ticket, they do it because they think that they won't get caught. And they're usually right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

This post has been deleted.

You are probably correct - which is a sad reflection on this country's moral/judicial consciousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

She should not have done this, there is no way no matter what I would park in a disabled spot.

The ban is far too severe though....

Never knew we had people on here defending illegally parking in shopping centre disable spots.

Ah now, that's a bit hyperbolic. No one said that. Just that the punishment seems way out of proportion to the crime.

You are probably correct - which is a sad reflection on this country's moral/judicial conscious.
    Draconian penalties are a knee-jerk reaction. They serve to make you feel better, rather than addressing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

'Parent/child spaces and disabled spaces completely different things to be fair.'

I don't agree - whuile priority should be given to disbled spaces and parent and child spaces may be seen as a courtesy it still enrages me when i pull into a car park and all parent and child spaces are occupied by people travelling alone. it's the sheer ignorance and me fein attitude of it that gets me. It's not the proximity to the door that really matters - think about it - what's the thing the sets disabled and parent and child spaces apart from a standard space???

When you figure it out my response will be - yes, it is NEEDED otherwise need to take up 2 spaces elsewhere.

Please just be a little more considerate people - we're all here for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

nosedive wrote: »
    'Parent/child spaces and disabled spaces completely different things to be fair.'

I don't agree - whuile priority should be given to disbled spaces and parent and child spaces may be seen as a courtesy it still enrages me when i pull into a car park and all parent and child spaces are occupied by people travelling alone. it's the sheer ignorance and me fein attitude of it that gets me. It's not the proximity to the door that really matters - think about it - what's the thing the sets disabled and parent and child spaces apart from a standard space???

When you figure it out my response will be - yes, it is NEEDED otherwise need to take up 2 spaces elsewhere.

Please just be a little more considerate people - we're all here for the same reason.

I'd never park in a disabled spot but parent and child spots are far game I think. Why would you need two spots if you have kids?? Everyone managed just fine before parent and child spots came along

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

She should have taken her original beating and handed over the €80. There is such a thing as asking for it, and she obviously angered the judge with what he no doubt saw as a completely cavalier attitude to the whole thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

With Conor commenting she must have been driving a Zodiac. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Are family spaces not provided by companies in their private car parks. Surely they can put some spaces aside for a certain demographic if they want given it's their land. If people don't like that fact they provide familiy spaces would it not be better to vote with their 'feet' and drive to a different establishment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Naraka wrote: »
    ... Secondly, she completely undermined the whole situation by not paying the fine or turning up in court.
    I agree. Judges take a dim view of of people who ignore court orders and fail to responds to a summons, hence the ban and hefty fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nosedive

Parent and child spots are needed to get kids (especially younger ones in a carry cot) in and out of the car - parents need the extra width to open doors fully in order to strap kids in. There's no mystery to it.

Yes, people got along fine before these spaces came along but they're an improvement on things gone by - you seem happy to use them as yet another excuse for antagonising your fellow man - but I'm sure you don't see it that way - thanks for your consideration though

Advertisement