Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ennis woman gets 6 month driving ban for parking in disabled spot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

jimgoose wrote: »
    She should have taken her original beating and handed over the €80. There is such a thing as asking for it, and she obviously angered the judge with what he no doubt saw as a completely cavalier attitude to the whole thing.
    Ms O’Connor, of Drumown, Ballynacally, Co Clare, was not in court for yesterday’s hearing and she was not legally represented.

Does she even know she has been convicted? Seriously?

In any case, this will be appealed to a lesser sentence, and she cvan drive whilst on appeal.

So, in essence, this is just making the whole thing a huge hassle for the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

nosedive wrote: »
    Parent and child spots are needed to get kids (especially younger ones in a carry cot) in and out of the car - parents need the extra width to open doors fully in order to strap kids in. There's no mystery to it.

Yes, people got along fine before these spaces came along but they're an improvement on things gone by - you seem happy to use them as yet another excuse for antagonising your fellow man - but I'm sure you don't see it that way - thanks for your consideration though

Antagonising my fellow man LOL!! It's only a parking space.

I can get kids in and out of my car no problem without needing two spots haha!! Most p & c spaces are the same size as regular spaces anyways. If people parked properly in spaces there would be no problem. But if there is no spaces il park in a parent and child.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

I had a badge for 6 months post a serious accident.

Remember going to my local tesco's and not being able to get into the spot by 2 able bodies jumping out of cars. Parked behind both of them and went in to do my shopping. Emerged 30 mins later to see them fuming in their cars.

Feck em.

This woman should have never parked there , should have paid the fine , and should never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

In fairness, had she paid her fine this wouldn't have happened. Had she shown up in Court, this wouldn't have happened. I wonder will she now be caught driving while disqualified and with a bench warrant for an unpaid fine.......

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Never knew we had people on here defending illegally parking in shopping centre disable spots.

I seem to remember a thread where people said they'd happily park in the parent and child ones without having a child with them.

I always carry a child seat in my car but never park in the allocated spaces unless my daughter is in the car with me.
    Fair play to the court, that woman deserved it for being totally disrespectful to the disabled and the court. She didn't pay the fine, she didn't appear in the court, she was punished, end of story. Sometimes I'm puzzled about the people killing each other in their attempts to park as closest to the shop as possible. Pity they don't do any drive-ins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

I think the 6 month ban is perfect. I think it is about time that we start hitting down hard on people who don't follow the rules, the law is getting too soft with a lot of things. Just a pity that there can't be some ban for those really bad drivers who I have seen speeding along the roads and never seem to be caught by anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anan1 wrote: »
    Draconian penalties are a knee-jerk reaction. They serve to make you feel better, rather than addressing the problem.

So maybe if she was clamped in the spot. That would be a better remedy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

jonny666 wrote: »
    Antagonising my fellow man LOL!! It's only a parking space. .....But if there is no spaces il park in a parent and child.

Its doesn't matter why they are there. The point is they are there to make life easier for parents and thus for kids. People can obviously ignore that and choose to be selfish about it.

Draconian penalties are a knee-jerk reaction. They serve to make you feel better, rather than addressing the problem.

I would assume they are intended to send a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yep, but the point I usually think of is do the P&C spots need to be right outside the door? If they put them down the way a bit, the selfish gits who park there when not entitled wouldn't abuse them. Granted disabled spots need to be near the door, but once junior is strapped in, he's on wheels and mobile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

BostonB wrote: »
    Its doesn't matter why they are there. The point is they are there to make life easier for parents and thus for kids. People can obviously ignore that and choose to be selfish about it.

And, importantly, they make it less likely a nearby car will get doored!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

listermint wrote: »
    So maybe if she was clamped in the spot. That would be a better remedy ?
    I'm sure you have a point, but i'm not seeing it?
    I would assume they are intended to send a message.
    Draconian penalties do make good headlines, and they give the masses that warm fuzzy feeling that 'something is being done.' Back in the real world, however, it's the level of enforcement that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

corktina wrote: »
    yep, but the point I usually think of is do the P&C spots need to be right outside the door? If they put them down the way a bit, the selfish gits who park there when not entitled wouldn't abuse them. Granted disabled spots need to be near the door, but once junior is strapped in, he's on wheels and mobile...
    Their location near the door is unnecessary and only asking for inconsiderate folk to take them.
    Better put them a wee bit away so the temptation isnt there.
    So long as they have the extra space needed to take out an infant seat comfortably on either side then their location is secondary.

Disabled spots though must be as near as possible to the door and anyone who parks there (and has no regard for the irish courts and legal system subsequently) deserves everything that comes their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Minister wrote: »
    I disagree with you as I remember when my late mam was ill selfish people blocked the disabled bays which made life even more difficult. The 'just a sec' excuse does not wash. It is people being selfish and if more penalties such as this were applied then the spaces would be there for those who really need them.

On a side issue, has anyone ever noticed the amount of able bodied - though usually youngish and fat - people that block disabled spots at supermarkets etc. I have, on occasion, notified management who have requested the offender to move. Fair play for once Tesco1

And there was me thinking all the disabled people rush to Dunnes when its raining.:D
    6 month ban a bit stiff as her insurance will probably skyrocket too, but maybe she shouldn't stick the two fingers at the fine and court as well.

I'd never park in a disabled spot but parent and child spots are far game I think. Why would you need two spots if you have kids?? Everyone managed just fine before parent and child spots came along

Well, everyone managed just fine before supermarkets and cars came along. And before we tamed horses to draw the carts and carriages. And actually, life was much easier when we were still hopping around in the trees.
    For myself, I very much appreciate the bigger spaces these spots provide. I don't need to worry that my child will bang the door into someone's elses car when she's getting out and I don't need to figure out the ways of putting her into the child seat while at the same time trying to keep the door as little open as possible while strapping her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Anybody else who doesnt have kids park in the family spots in shopping car parks?

I'm sure you have a point, but i'm not seeing it?Draconian penalties do make good headlines, and they give the masses that warm fuzzy feeling that 'something is being done.' Back in the real world, however, it's the level of enforcement that really matters.

So your saying, seeing someone else get punished doesn't haven't effect.

I find that hard to believe.

Should there be special parking spaces for fat people too who need a bit a extra room to get in and out!!

Not my problem if ye can't get kids out in a normal space. Most of the p & c spots I've seen are normal size anyways

It's all about how close to the entrance they are

Their location near the door is unnecessary and only asking for inconsiderate folk to take them.
    Better put them a wee bit away so the temptation isnt there.
    So long as they have the extra space needed to take out an infant seat comfortably on either side then their location is secondary....

The point of Child and Parent Friendly spots isn't only to do with the width of the parking bay. Its also so kids aren't dragged through a busy car park. Kids being around cars, and especially cars parking is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So your saying, seeing someone else get punished doesn't haven't effect.

I find that hard to believe.
    * sighs * Where did I say that?

• Advertisement

Fixed That for You
    ...It's all about how close to the entrance they are I am

Fixed That for You

Il only park in em if there is no where else left. Don't give a toss where they are

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

hooray, made my day, she got a six month ban, only problem is she can appeal. Afraid I got lifetime of not walking and I can't even appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The point of Child and Parent Friendly spots isn't only to do with the width of the parking bay. Its also so kids aren't dragged through a busy car park. Kids being around cars, and especially cars parking is a bad idea.
    Car parks can be designed with paths and whatnot so that most pedestrian activity is separated from cars.
    If the spaces are beside a trolly bay and theres a path then to the entrance then its just as good as right in front of the front door.

Il only park in em if there is no where else left. Don't give a toss where they are

You've got to be kidding me. These spots are 99% taken at all times. Often by people too lazy to walk a bit, leaving the parents navigate the trolleys + kids across the whole parking lot. And yeah, the joys of having to push a trolley while at the same time trying to get your child out of the way of moving cars. While these spots are not a necessity, they are certainly highly appreciated by many parents.

haminka wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding me. These spots are 99% taken at all times. Often by people too lazy to walk a bit, leaving the parents navigate the trolleys + kids across the whole parking lot. And yeah, the joys of having to push a trolley while at the same time trying to get your child out of the way of moving cars. While these spots are not a necessity, they are certainly highly appreciated by many parents.

I can't speak for anyone else but I only use em as a last resort

I must have missed it but when did car parks become as dangerous as down town Baghdad!! If you can't bring your child from the car to the shop safely then maybe you should think about not bringing them.

Anyways this is all very off topic. 6 months for that woman was harsh. if she paid up she wouldn't have a problem so no one to blame but herself

Car parks can be designed with paths and whatnot so that most pedestrian activity is separated from cars.
    If the spaces are beside a trolly bay and theres a path then to the entrance then its just as good as right in front of the front door.

The vast majority aren't though.

Theres also a lot of speeding in car parks by impatient people which doesn't help. TBH theres an increasing selfish culture of ignoring the needs of others in our society which is causing these conflicts. People shouldn't be need to told not to park in disable bays, or be considerate of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I disagree. Walking children past lines of cars in a busy carpark, with or without paths, is often dangerous. Young children don't come above eyelevel of the rear window and don't have the experience to watch for a reverse light. They can be impossible to see in a packed carpark.
    I think having these spaces close to the doors of the supermarket is very important.

I can't speak for anyone else but I only use em as a last resort

I must have missed it but when did car parks become as dangerous as down town Baghdad!! If you can't bring your child from the car to the shop safely then maybe you should think about not bringing them.

Anyways this is all very off topic. 6 months for that woman was harsh. if she paid up she wouldn't have a problem so no one to blame but herself

Actually its not off topic. Its indicates a lack of empathy and consideration of others especially the vulnerable in our society. Which is how the woman got in the situation in the first place. The condescending indifference reflects this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Lidl and aldi should do a little video of what goes on in the disabled spaces in their car parks they are nearly always taken and its always black people I see without permits who park in them. Sorry to the PC brigade but that is what I see. There should be fines handed out more often and video evidence should be enough every shop should go through the video it would not take that long and a €80 fine off in the post to every person with no permit. Only way to teach some people to respect others less fortunate than able bodied people is to hurt them in the pocket.

Advertisement