Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Betting MegaThread *** See Mod warning in post #2 & 214***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Value is a weird term really and usually misinterpreted by people. Sometimes the value lies at the top of the market which usually people cannot fathom in a golf event.
    I could probably write paragraphs on this topic but i wont bore anyone with that.
    1 thing i always say to people when they say well so and so is 50/1 surely they are good value. The question you have to ask yourself is if they ran the tournament 50 times under the exact conditions do you believe that person would win it once. In Lowry's case above. I doubt it. But if the answer in your opinion is yes then that is a value bet in your eyes.

I think the winner will come from the top of the betting tbh. I have had a couple of bets. Cant bet with the bookie betting 8 places unfortunately, but its a great offer.
    I took Scott at 12/1 and Spieth at 10/1 both each way 6 places.
    Took a smaller bet on Kuchar at 70/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just been having a conversation in work with some lads who put some bets on. They backed Lowry because is wasn't worth backing McIlroy @ 8/1.

Now I'm no gambler by any stretch of the imagination but I don't understand why anyone would even consider Lowry as worth backing when you look at his recent form. He has been struggling to say the least and missing cuts is order of the day.

So the feeling of getting good value for your money because you backed @ 100/1 or whatever is crazy. If they were at least honest and said they were backing him to have a bit of interest in the Irish lad it would at least make sense. It would still be a silly bet though :rolleyes: IMO of course

There are a lot of long shots out there that surely are a much better option than Lowry to have a punt on. I mean the guy has as much chance of winning this thing as Sandy Lyle or Mark O'Meara does. Value for money???? pfffftttt..... Waste of money if you ask me!

Now to back Rory @ 8/1 will (IMO of course), give you a good run for your money because he is solid, have proven himself around the course before, a top golfer, playing pretty good in recent events and has a very good chance of being in the shake up come Sunday

Agree with that. I also seem the notice a lot of patriotic betting with Irish punters.

Also leading on from what i have already said.
    Value is only value if you make money at some point. If you are always taking these 100/1 shot value bets then you should back a winner at least every 100 bets. If you are not then you should re-think your strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Hey all,

For anyone who has signed up to SkyBet and gotten their two free €10 bets...can I apply these to more than one bet? i.e. two €2.5 E\W bets on two different golfers - or is it the whole €10 on one bet?

I believe they have to be each used on one bet. i.e. €10 win or €5 e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I backed Cabrera a few days ago. Only a few quid, but I can already cash out now for a 25% profit.

That represents good value IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Personally have gone with:
    Scott 20 e/w at 18/1. Went on him just after win at Honda.
    Schwartzel 10 e/w at 35/1
    Cabrera bello 5 e/w at 125/1. He has now gone into 80/1 so plenty of money gone on him.

Put money on for the old lad too and he went with Rory, stenson and reed.

It's pretty open tournament and the draw with the weather forecast could prove vital. Can't see a winner coming from outside the top 15 in the betting though. There are just too many players in good form.

Best of luck all

Ya its all relative alright. I mean one of the best value bets i thought available was Kaymer to be top German at 4/6. IMO thats value but it wouldnt be for everyone. Only has Langer with a short putter to beat. Thought it should be a 1/3 shot.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Ya its all relative alright. I mean one of the best value bets i thought available was Kaymer to be top German at 4/6. IMO thats value but it wouldnt be for everyone. Only has Langer with a short putter to beat. Thought it should be a 1/3 shot.

easy money you would think

then again, gambling is a mugs game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only 5 events in on the seniors tour but Langers putting average with the short stick hasn't changed. After 20 years it will be interesting how he putts again with the short one at Augusta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Just been having a conversation in work with some lads who put some bets on. They backed Lowry because is wasn't worth backing McIlroy @ 8/1.

Now I'm no gambler by any stretch of the imagination but I don't understand why anyone would even consider Lowry as worth backing when you look at his recent form. He has been struggling to say the least and missing cuts is order of the day.

So the feeling of getting good value for your money because you backed @ 100/1 or whatever is crazy. If they were at least honest and said they were backing him to have a bit of interest in the Irish lad it would at least make sense. It would still be a silly bet though :rolleyes: IMO of course

There are a lot of long shots out there that surely are a much better option than Lowry to have a punt on. I mean the guy has as much chance of winning this thing as Sandy Lyle or Mark O'Meara does. Value for money???? pfffftttt..... Waste of money if you ask me!

Now to back Rory @ 8/1 will (IMO of course), give you a good run for your money because he is solid, have proven himself around the course before, a top golfer, playing pretty good in recent events and has a very good chance of being in the shake up come Sunday

You could say the same about the lad who backed Leicester @ 5000/1

or the lads who backed Lowry as an Amateur to win the Irish Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

With the weather , I'e got a bit worried about going with bubba,

But looking up weather there it looks perfect ? - what is story for weather or where are these bad report coming form.

With the weather , I'e got a bit worried about going with bubba,

But looking up weather there it looks perfect ? - what is story for weather or where are these bad report coming form.

Nice but breezy I guess.

easy money you would think

then again, gambling is a mugs game :D

For sure, I wonder what the odds were in recent years?
    Had a check and Langer has finished ahead of him the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Speak Now wrote: »
    For sure, I wonder what the odds were in recent years?
    Had a check and Langer has finished ahead of him the last 3 years.

Did the same!!

Putting will have a massive say in this bet. I'm intirgued, I just dont't know if it's for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Used one of the skybet free €10 bet for Day as first round leader, not realising the forecast.
    Fowler or Reed would have been better bets.

Went for Kaufman @16/1 for top 10
    Louis @35/1 e/w

Will place a small bet on Friday night to keep an interest for the weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Went a fiver each way on Love III @ 500-1 and DeChambeau at 250-1.

Have already spent the money in my head.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    You could say the same about the lad who backed Leicester @ 5000/1

or the lads who backed Lowry as an Amateur to win the Irish Open.

Of course. there is always going to be a long shot which comes good at the right time and gives you a good run for your money. My point is, that long shot, based on current form is most definitely not Shane Lowry.

People are blinded by the fact he is Irish. He has as much chance of winning this week as Tiger Woods does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Of course. there is always going to be a long shot which comes good at the right time and gives you a good run for your money. My point is, that long shot, based on current form is most definitely not Shane Lowry.

People are blinded by the fact he is Irish. He has as much chance of winning this week as Tiger Woods does.

Plus PP's always give bad odds for the Irish because they get so heavily backed.

When you bet, you do it for the thrill. You should already be thrilled if the Irish do well, so it's a waste for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will bookies pay out on round 1 leaders if it's a tie?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Will bookies pay out on round 1 leaders if it's a tie?

You will get a fraction of your stake at the odds you take.

So say you back player a at 40/1 and put a tenner on it. If there are 4 tied at -5 after day one you will have 2.50 on it at 40/1. 2 tied for lead. 5 on at 40/1 etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I'm generally not a betting man, but I signed up with skybet just there and put
    €5 on speith to lead after day 1 (14/1)
    and the €20 free on Fowler for the win (22/1)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

You will get a fraction of your stake at the odds you take.

So say you back player a at 40/1 and put a tenner on it. If there are 4 tied at -5 after day one you will have 2.50 on it at 40/1. 2 tied for lead. 5 on at 40/1 etc...

Its common enough in golf when a few people are tied for the last paying out place, called the dead heat rule.

Here is it explained

https://support.paddypower.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136/p/6/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDYwMDQwMDQzL3NpZC94WE9yT3FObQ%3D%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

backed rickie at 31/1 after the double bogey ;)

backed rickie at 31/1 after the double bogey ;)

nice

should be a good cash out option already there for you. he is back to -1 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First bet in 27 years and its on golf haha

McIlroy to win
    Matt Fitzpatrick to make the cut
    Sullivan each way
    Willet each way
    Aphibarnrat each way

Small money but its not really the point lol

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    First bet in 27 years and its on golf haha

McIlroy to win
    Matt Fitzpatrick to make the cut
    Sullivan each way
    Willet each way
    Aphibarnrat each way

Small money but its not really the point lol

So you've never made a bet in you life before this?

Small money, but I cashed out before we even got started :)

22.2% return on my investment.... tax free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

365 have no cash outs on any of mine ,not interested in it just would be interested to have a look on Johnson 28s from 60/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

So you've never made a bet in you life before this?

Nope, never really interested in it

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Nope, never really interested in it

you are better off pal, trust me :D

good luck so, I hope you get something to come in for ya, but don't get sucked in :eek:

Advertisement