Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishmen the 2nd sexiest race on planet Earth

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Have been to Brazil on three occasions - the last time 2011. The poverty, corruption and lawlessness there is unbelievable. And drunkeness is common. If not on alcohol then drugs or cocoa leaves. And the favelas? Jesus, don't get me started. Olinda beach, Pernambuca is one of the most violent cities in the world. I wonder what's she sees in Ireland to live there. Surely there are other countries that she could migrate to, where the people drink less and her need to feel sorry would not be as overworked.

well according to herself she has a lot of friends in the city that are very interested in irish men i dont understand it personally i think we're ****in nuts:pac: but she does it for my mate whos never even had a relationship in his life here!

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Was probably a blind test, accent only. They do love the Irish accent in the US. Wait till they get a look at us with our pale complexion, non-linear teeth and red hair. I did marry an American girl, but she keeps thinking all Irish people look like Gerard Butler and Sean Connery (I know, both Scots). Boy, is she in for a surprise when we land in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Lot of self-flagellating, low self esteem on this thread.
    We're sexy Mo-Fos.
    Just celebrate it, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I was told by a French girl this weekend:
    "I learn to stay sway from handsome Irish guys because there are so few good looking ones that they are dickheads"

...to which my mate replied
    "Well, you're welcome to **** off back to your own country"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    "I learn to stay sway from handsome Irish guys because there are so few good looking ones that they are dickheads"

:pac::pac: Nice. Is he good looking? That's been my experience as well - the good looking guys and girls (bar one girl) whom I've met think they are gods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Maybe it's just cause most of my town look inbred, but they're far from a reflection of the second sexiest nation in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

They must be joking! Describing your typical beer swilling, pot-bellied, foul-mouthed Irish male as sexy! What a laugh! Taking your typical Irish male, if you were to remove alcohol, nicotine, sport and the the four letter word - what you you be left with? Not a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

They must be joking! Describing your typical beer swilling, pot-bellied, foul-mouthed Irish male as sexy! What a laugh! Taking your typical Irish male, if you were to remove alcohol, nicotine, sport and the the four letter word - what you you be left with? Not a lot!

You go girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Wow that is one hell of a generalisation right there

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

So, this is the famous Irish wit???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

They have seen the heads on us ...right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Exactly,we're like pudgy Captain Jack Sparrows from PotC, rotund rakish rouges.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

This happens a lot regardless of nationality. Guys can be as bad as girls in the arrogance department but in my opinion you need to be a seriously handsome fella to compete with the sort of attention a reasonably good looking girl gets. Guys like that are like blue whales going through girls like plankton. They're dickheads because they can be - just like girls can be - because they can get away with it and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

It was a survey of 30,000 American women (150+ million women in the US). The Irish men that we see on a consistent basis are: Bono, Colin Farrell, Jonathan Rhys Meyer, Liam Neeson, Michael Fassbender, Gabriel Byrne, and Pierce Brosnan. When those ladies voted, I reckon these were the men that they had in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

This is based on Colin Farrell overload in america, who gets to use his own accent a lot for some reason. Which is nicer than most here lets be honest and I can totally recall Arnie getting to do that too but Farrell also dresses like an Italian, which helps immensely... when you're not dressed like your typical modern irish but the ultimate kick in the gonads is that we are second to the English; in American eyes. And we were convinced we were their numero uno :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

This is based on Colin Farrell overload in america, who gets to use his own accent a lot for some reason. Which is nicer than most here lets be honest and I can totally recall Arnie getting to do that too but Farrell also dresses like an Italian, which helps immensely... when you're not dressed like your typical modern irish but the ultimate kick in the gonads is that we are second to the English; in American eyes. And we were convinced we were their numero uno :pac:

Which would be... trackies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Which would be... trackies?

Your guess is as good as mine!

..your locale is as bad as mine?! It's still the same... sportswear; gazza cuts.... pissholes in the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

???????

Bit picky, aren't we! If you're single and go out with your head full of that crap, you'll finish up alone. What is the cause of your bile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

The Appeal of the Irish Man seems to increase the further out of Ireland he goes.

It's a strange phenomenon. I couldn't stand ye all when I lived at home but since emigrating I seem to naturally gravitate to any Irish man in any room. I think it's the humour and the charisma.

Now you're sucking diesel! There must be a good few up in your neck of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ok maybe its because were cheeky as hell when talking to people, I found people to be shocked when we speak that we can say anything and a smile usually gets us away with it.
    Another thing that shocks people is when we meet Irish people we dont know, we have the ability to talk to them the same way as our life long neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    ???????

Bit picky, aren't we! If you're single and go out with your head full of that crap, you'll finish up alone. What is the cause of your bile?

your typical beer swilling, pot-bellied, foul-mouthed Irish male
    ...I expect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I think the main topic this thread has thrown up is who the hell do Irish women think they are? Took a train across the country today and easily over 50% of the women i saw were overweight. Fat arses everywhere. Those super-toned italian men wouldnt touch any of ye.

Also, irish men need to get the p***y off the pedestal. I have lived in the US, Milan, Berlin and Brussels over the past 10 years. Saying hello to a woman in any of these countries does not get you a look like you are a young Larry Murphy in training. In fact, shock horror, a beautiful woman in any of the places i have lived in outside Ireland, even if you have no chance, will be nice and polite and you could end up having a conversation (i know). In Ireland you could leave yourself open to ridicule by simply saying hello. Not sure if it is a remnant of the Catholic guilt and the whole "he only wants to have sex with me" thought process but it seems a lack of basic manners is prevalent amongst women in this country for some reason.

Expecting a load of the usual for the above comments but it is the case and it's no surprise we flock to foreign women when they come to ireland. I do quite well with women (both Irish and foreign) but i do find foreign girls have a far less idiotic view of the world and are far more open to decent conversation. They are simply more manneredly and polite. A nice starting point.

Ha Top class, I love it and its so true.

I can't agree with you. I find most Irish girls charming and easy to get on with. And they are on the same waveband. But you take things easy or you may frighten them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭illuma

Wibbs wrote: »
    In such a mindset their worldview is also different and selective bias kicks in. If 2 outa 5 foreign ladies reject them, they bias towards the 3 that didn't. At home they're likely to focus on the 2(and often give up at that point).

Maybe, but you could look at it another way: a young Irish guy who hasn’t travelled much or dealt with many foreign women. He regularly approaches Irish women and more often that not, he gets rejected or treated rudely. Then once in a blue moon he meets a friendly Irish girl who reciprocates the chat and he could say, “ahh sure, the Irish gals aint too bad.” depending on whether he’s a glass half empty or half full type of person. He may accept that as the norm if that’s what he is used to.

The thing I’ve noticed with foreigners in general, both here and abroad, is that when you approach them and strike up a conversation, that’s all it is… you’re just someone striking up a conversation. With the Irish there has to be an ulterior motive behind it. “What are this guys intentions, is he only looking for a shag or what?” We’re more defensive.

Granted there are plenty of Irish guys who think the best way to approach women is to get drunk and grope them or grind them on a dance floor, so its understandable why so many Irish women have this built in defence mechanism. But for the decent guys who just want to meet women, its easy to see why they would prefer to pursue foreign ladies, because they’re less likely to tar them with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I'm guessing this judgement was based on celebrities.

Probably the women were thinking of Colin Farell when they took the survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I'm guessing this judgement was based on celebrities.

Probably the women were thinking of Colin Farell when they took the survey.

Sure all us Irishmen look like Colin Farrell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Pug160 wrote: »
    This happens a lot regardless of nationality. Guys can be as bad as girls in the arrogance department but in my opinion you need to be a seriously handsome fella to compete with the sort of attention a reasonably good looking girl gets. Guys like that are like blue whales going through girls like plankton. They're dickheads because they can be - just like girls can be - because they can get away with it and they know it.

This is true, but I believe the phenomenon happens because women are given far greater leeway in society to make it obvious who they like, not sure why this is the case, it just happens this way.

You notice it at a very young age, girls writing 'I Love X or Y' on their pencil cases at school. One of my exes, on one of our first dates, where things had not really advanced very far at this point, she, out of the blue started talking about an imaginary future scenario where we woke up in bed together somewhere abroad. Now this was good for me, because I knew she was interested, but had I proposed the same thing, I believe there would be a high chance she might have thought 'this guy is getting ahead of himself here.' Now maybe she would have welcomed it, but I still believe acting in such a way is loaded with risk for men.

So, imagine a very attractive man like in your example in a club or whatever. He will probably get girls coming up to him saying 'I'm coming home with you tonight' and then he doesn't have to do any more than that. When you get indulged in such a manner (celebrities are another example), there's a high chance you'll develop dickhead traits at the very least. Now again, reversing the roles, whereas a woman may secretly be impressed with a strange man coming up and saying that to her, I'd be fairly sure he'll have to do an awful lot more work before the statement becomes a reality, simply because of societal pressures that women face. I think for most men the mantra about if you want to get intimate with a girl, first you have to pretend you don't, has elements of truth to it.

I find it interesting that for the majority of males, the onus is on them to be direct and assertive with women in order to go out on dates etc. But for specific men whom the women are extremely attracted to, I find the latter can be extremely direct, to a degree that men could never get away with, basically putting their availability on a plate.

To get back to the thread itself, I would definitely agree that variety makes someone attractive. And also that men and women from every country moan about the opposite sex, it's just human frustration at the end of the day. Certainly not restricted to Ireland.

On the variety theme, I remember in school we had two black lads joined our class and they were quickly both very popular with the girls. I don't think it was so much what they said or did, simply that they looked different and exotic.

Advertisement