Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

biZrb wrote: »
    That's what its like in London unfortunately, there seems to be more demand than supply so it can be hard to even get a viewing. Everyone finds it difficult.

I live near Brixton and its a good, lively spot.
    I knew it would be tough getting what I actually wanted, but I imagined getting viewings would be fairly easy.

So how is Brixton? Have you had any bother walking home in the wee hours etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lunni

Anyone know what Leytonstone is like?

Also, does anyone know how it works when a station is on a zone border? For example, Leytonstone is on the border of 3 and 4, so would a monthly travel card be for zone 3 or zone 4?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lunni wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know how it works when a station is on a zone border? For example, Leytonstone is on the border of 3 and 4, so would a monthly travel card be for zone 3 or zone 4?
    You get whichever is most beneficial to you. My local station is Archway, on the border between zone 2 and 3. If I got a train out to Finchley Central (northbound to zone 4) it would be charged as a zone 3-4 fare, if I get a train to work in Old Street (southbound to zone 1) it's charged as a zone 2-1 fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Hi guys,

So I've been offered a job in London.

Pay is 22k + commission, I'm figuring 600 a month inc bills for a flatshare in zone one or two.

That leaves about 200 a week after tax, reckon that's enough to be relatively comfortable? (ie food, transport within zone 1-2, few drinks etc)

Not counting the commission to be safe, just the basic salary

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi guys,

So I've been offered a job in London.

Pay is 22k + commission, I'm figuring 600 a month inc bills for a flatshare in zone one or two.

That leaves about 200 a week after tax, reckon that's enough to be relatively comfortable? (ie food, transport within zone 1-2, few drinks etc)

Not counting the commission to be safe, just the basic salary

22K gives you just under £1500 a month take home pay. I've had a quick look around on spareroom.co.uk and it looks like £600pcm for a room and all bills is feasible. If you're staying within Zones 1 & 2, you should be able to keep your food & travel costs down to about £80 a week (as in £50 for a weekly food shop, not including eating out), giving you a bit over £100 a week to split between saving and discretionary spending.

If you're clever about it and keep tight control on your speding you can do it, but I won't lie - London's an expensive city and it's not easy to get by without cash.

Have a look around the forum - there have been a few discussions about the minimum income required to live comfortably here, along with a lot of suggestions for ways to make your money go further when cash is tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Lunni wrote: »
    Anyone know what Leytonstone is like?

Leytonstone is grand! It is a nice area, friendly-ish and safe enough (as anywhere in London) It is great for transport links (into liverpool street in 12 mins) and if you live closer to the Baker Arms side, you have lots of options for night buses to get home. There are some nice pubs to drink and eat in. Definitely recommend it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭chancer12

Looking for guidance re recruitment agencies. My son has been in London and working for the last 6 months. The job is in sales but its essentially 'cold calling' and he's working crazy hours for little pay. His product is fairly rubbish and he's looking to move. He's relying on Linkedin for contacts as he says all RA's are scam artists. Has anyone had experience of a good agency. He's looking for something in sales/admin and is a graduate (like thousands of others). Just trying to give him a 'dig out' because he's feeling the pressure ... fussy mum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

chancer12 wrote: »
    Looking for guidance re recruitment agencies. My son has been in London and working for the last 6 months. The job is in sales but its essentially 'cold calling' and he's working crazy hours for little pay. His product is fairly rubbish and he's looking to move. He's relying on Linkedin for contacts as he says all RA's are scam artists. Has anyone had experience of a good agency. He's looking for something in sales/admin and is a graduate (like thousands of others). Just trying to give him a 'dig out' because he's feeling the pressure ... fussy mum!

Has he tried applying to any graduate programs or internships with some larger corporations? Often you only need a foot in the door to somewhere like a bank and once in you can climb fairly quickly if you have the right attitude.

I would check the job pages of individual companies rather than generic sites like monster etc. Look for entry level jobs and even if the pay is low I would advise to jump at the opportunity. You will find banks full of people who have climbed through the ranks in this way and have degrees in no way related to finance!

I started out in Lloyds through their Graduate program and i would recommend them as an employer.

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup-careers.com/

Playboy, thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.

A graduate programme would be the idea. I'll send on that link to him and do a bit of desk research myself

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

chancer12 wrote: »
    Playboy, thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.

A graduate programme would be the idea. I'll send on that link to him and do a bit of desk research myself

thanks again

They can be tough to get into. Usually there is a 2.1 requirement to apply and then you have a number of interviews and tests to go through so I wouldn't rest all my hopes on it, luck does play a part. If he applies for an entry level job there is nothing stopping him from applying for the graduate program even though he is an employee, it would be best to cover his bases that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

If he's a recent graduate he could try milkround.com. I got my first job here via that & it's a good start.

If he's a recent graduate he could try milkround.com. I got my first job here via that & it's a good start.

Jack, yes, he only finished this summer. thanks so much for that link, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

what is needed to get a mobile phone in London? proof of permanent address, NIN or what?
    And can anyone give me a good reccommendation for a bank?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

what is needed to get a mobile phone in London? proof of permanent address, NIN or what?
    And can anyone give me a good reccommendation for a bank?
    Thanks
    All answered in the FAQ thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364193

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

Hi all, myself & the missus are making the move over to Landan at the end of May. She will be doing her masters in Goldsmith's Uni & hopefully picking up some part time work while I'm hoping to get a job in Financial Services.

Firstly, I must say the FAQ section has been really helpful in informing me on the things needed to to get yourself set up over there ( setting up bank a/c, NI number, Mobile)

Two questions:

Having been over there last weekend we visited a few areas we're thinking of moving to. We both really like Greenwich. Anyone lived there before? Whats it like? What would the commute be like for myself if I was to work in town or Canary wharf?

Secondly. I was going to go through recruitment agencies to get my foot in the door somewhere. Anyone know anyone hiring in financial services ? Anyone recommend a good agency to go through? (I have a Business/Management degree and a few years experience in both Settlements & Corporate actions but would be flexible/willing to try something new)

Having been over there last weekend we visited a few areas we're thinking of moving to. We both really like Greenwich. Anyone lived there before? Whats it like?
    Expensive - probably beyond your reach if your missus is going to be a student, unless you get a very good salary. It's a very desirable area, 15 minutes on the DLR from Canary Wharf. I think it would be wise to broaden your search.

Despite being 8 months over here, I have somehow managed to avoid having to find a new hairdresser in the time that I've been here by taking well-timed trips back to Dublin. Not looking like I'll be heading home any time soon though, so I need some suggestions! Looking for someone who deals with short hair well, Archway/Holloway Road/Kentish Town/Camden preferably, but I work close to Old Street so around that area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Despite being 8 months over here, I have somehow managed to avoid having to find a new hairdresser in the time that I've been here by taking well-timed trips back to Dublin. Not looking like I'll be heading home any time soon though, so I need some suggestions! Looking for someone who deals with short hair well, Archway/Holloway Road/Kentish Town/Camden preferably, but I work close to Old Street so around that area too.

Gender?

enda1 wrote: »
    Gender?

Female, last time I checked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hi guys, I've just arrived less than a week ago in Acton, over the weekend my shared room was burgled and macbook stolen. I think it was an ex housemate with a cut key.

Anyway, I want to get the fcuk out of here as I don't feel safe. With my job at heathrow I need to be on or close to the piccadilly line. Does anyone know any nice areas around. My budget is 800 Pounds a month and i'm hoping to get a 1 bed or large studio. Ealing has been recommended to me by a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hey, sorry to hear about your experience in Acton. Try not let it put you off houseshares.

I live in Ealing Broadway myself - it' s very nice area and well-connected to town, the airport and south to the river. Unfortunately, you're very unlikely to get a single bed or large studio for your budget (and that's not including bills). Other nice areas nearby, and by the Heathrow Piccadilly line, are South Ealing, Northfields, Boston Manor - probably similar rental prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

lufties wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've just arrived less than a week ago in Acton, over the weekend my shared room was burgled and macbook stolen. I think it was an ex housemate with a cut key.

Anyway, I want to get the fcuk out of here as I don't feel safe. With my job at heathrow I need to be on or close to the piccadilly line. Does anyone know any nice areas around. My budget is 800 Pounds a month and i'm hoping to get a 1 bed or large studio. Ealing has been recommended to me by a few.

Thats rough. I lived in Acton a few years and no bother. But as Vokes said, Ealing is a decent area, plenty of pubs, good transport, historical Irish community and Irish pubs if you like a drink. Look at it this way, after your first week, its got to get better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Thats rough. I lived in Acton a few years and no bother. But as Vokes said, Ealing is a decent area, plenty of pubs, good transport, historical Irish community and Irish pubs if you like a drink. Look at it this way, after your first week, its got to get better

Thanks for that. I suppose we all have different experiences in places. South ealing seems to be more kind of place. I've moved to a short term place here which is grand. Acton to me, was grotty and I honestly didn't have a good feeling around there.

Regarding the macbook, its a bummer for sure, but it'll wise me up if anything. It also pales in comparison to what some people have go through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

Hi all

I'm looking for a room in a shared house and finding it a bit of a headache. People seem keen until I ask if the room has a lock on it and then I get snotty 'we all trust each other here, we don't need to lock our rooms' type emails. I had a horrible experience in my last flatshare, with jewellery of enormous sentimental value being stolen and private documents being rifled through, and there's no way I'd ever risk that again. It's not the flatmates themselves I'm worried about, it's the friends of friends, one night stands and things like that...

Unfortunately 'room has a lock' doesn't seem to be a screening option on any of the share websites and people tend to get offended when you ask....what am I meant to do now? It just seems ridiculous that people actually expect you to move in with complete strangers and have all your possessions at the mercy of people you barely know and their friends who you don't know from Adam. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

RoisinDove wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm looking for a room in a shared house and finding it a bit of a headache. People seem keen until I ask if the room has a lock on it and then I get snotty 'we all trust each other here, we don't need to lock our rooms' type emails. I had a horrible experience in my last flatshare, with jewellery of enormous sentimental value being stolen and private documents being rifled through, and there's no way I'd ever risk that again. It's not the flatmates themselves I'm worried about, it's the friends of friends, one night stands and things like that...

Unfortunately 'room has a lock' doesn't seem to be a screening option on any of the share websites and people tend to get offended when you ask....what am I meant to do now? It just seems ridiculous that people actually expect you to move in with complete strangers and have all your possessions at the mercy of people you barely know and their friends who you don't know from Adam. :(

hmm maybe you could get one of the small safes and keep all your valuable stuff in there?

you are right though about moving in with strangers, all houses i've been in i've been very trusting and thankfully never had any hassle but sure this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Ah the old Shanakee is a great spot. Acton is f*cking mental. I was fighting down there once in a boxing exhibition and apparently the next week someone came in with a samurai sword. Haven't heard great things about the gaff besides.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RoisinDove wrote: »
    Hi all

I've not been in a flatshare over here, but in the majority of flatshares I had in Cork I had a lock on my bedroom (as did everyone else) - tbh while it's frustrating it's probably also a useful filter for you for people with incompatible notions of privacy and personal space. Especially given the turnover in such places and thus number of people who may have access to general house keys...

Keep looking and hopefully you'll find something.

Fysh wrote: »
    ...while it's frustrating it's probably also a useful filter for you for people with incompatible notions of privacy and personal space.
    I was about to make the same point - if people have an issue with me having a lock on my door, then they're not people I want to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

I've been offered a graduate job in Sheperds Bush starting September this year and know absolutely nobody over there or anything about London in general to be honest. I've been doing a bit of research the last few days but would appreciate anyone's advice in relation to a good place to stay that wouldn't break the bank and would be convenient to travel in and out of Sheperds Bush during the week. Also, if anyone else is in a similar position, let me know and we could share information or whatever as knowing somone else who's moving to London would be of great benefit I'm sure.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

djpbarry wrote: »
    I was about to make the same point - if people have an issue with me having a lock on my door, then they're not people I want to live with.

So I've been looking for over a week now and every time I ask about a lock, I either get a snotty reply or they stop replying. Even though I've now started explaining why (my past bad experience) and stating that it's no reflection on them. Lots of people are claiming that it's not possible to put a lock on due to the insurance, fire regulations or landlord's wishes. It's really getting me down now. It's so hard to believe that so many people think it's unreasonable to want to lock your door when moving in with total strangers who haven't earned your trust. It feels like I'll never find anywhere!

Advertisement