Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you're always going to be travelling against the flow so it may not be too bad, although after a few days of it you may want to change your mind.

there was a guy on 5live yesterday talking about his commute from east wales to watford every day. he drives, at least 2.5 hours to work, sometimes up to 4 hours returning. it was nuts, but he said it saved him money! some people are just predisposed to torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

there was a guy on 5live yesterday talking about his commute from east wales to watford every day. he drives, at least 2.5 hours to work, sometimes up to 4 hours returning. it was nuts, but he said it saved him money! some people are just predisposed to torture.

I read about him yesterday. He gets up at 3:30am, that's just mental. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25551393

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

...live somewhere around Shoreditch...
    No job is worth that.

I remember working with a guy in Dublin who commuted from Letterkenny three days a week (worked from home the other two days). He wouldn't move to Dublin because the rents were too high, apparently, so he drove 6 - 7 hours per day, 3 days a week instead.

Some people really don't place a great deal of value on their time.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I remember working with a guy in Dublin who commuted from Letterkenny three days a week (worked from home the other two days). He wouldn't move to Dublin because the rents were too high, apparently, so he drove 6 - 7 hours per day, 3 days a week instead.

Some people really don't place a great deal of value on their time.

Some people don't mind driving and like where they live. Why would he have moved to Dublin if he could work from home 2 days a week anyway? That makes 4 days in Letterkenny and only 3 in Dublin. Yes, the commute is a bit mental, but I don't think it's as bonkers as you seem to. I know loads of people here in England who commute into London 2-3 days a week from Brighton/Bristol/other far away places. They don't want to live in London and/or can't afford to but their jobs are there, so do 2-3 long days in London (minimising transport costs) and then have the rest of the week at home with their family. Seems quite sensible to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Some people don't mind driving and like where they live. Why would he have moved to Dublin if he could work from home 2 days a week anyway? That makes 4 days in Letterkenny and only 3 in Dublin. Yes, the commute is a bit mental, but I don't think it's as bonkers as you seem to. I know loads of people here in England who commute into London 2-3 days a week from Brighton/Bristol/other far away places. They don't want to live in London and/or can't afford to but their jobs are there, so do 2-3 long days in London (minimising transport costs) and then have the rest of the week at home with their family. Seems quite sensible to me.

Brighton's a fairly easy and normal commute; I know a group of people who work together in London who commute from Derby, Rugby adn north of Birmingham - needless to say they have rail related jobs so have an element of enthusiasm.

Crossing London to take a train to Cambridge would, I believe, shortly become very wearing. PArt way between would I think make more sense until you need one short commute (kids etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I did a 70 minute each way commute for two years and the most important thing I learned is that a commute of that length is simply not sustainable in medium/long term. I will never, ever do that again unless I somehow find myself in a position where I have no other choice.

I did a 70 minute each way commute for two years and the most important thing I learned is that a commute of that length is simply not sustainable in medium/long term. I will never, ever do that again unless I somehow find myself in a position where I have no other choice.

I'd find that a normal/average commute. I suppose it all depends on what you're used to - I've rarely lived near college/work so I'm used to a long commute. It also depends on the mode of transport and the number of connections you need to take. I did a two hour commute each way by bus for a year - that was just awful, spent most of it standing at bus stops waiting for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I did similar. Commuted from Woking to Southampton for 18 months by car. On a good day it would take me 1 hour 15 minutes each way. On a bad day (crash on the motorway for example) it could take 2 to 3 hours each way.

It was unsustainable for many reasons.
    • Firstly sitting that long in a car every day in a driving position caused me some back problems.
    • I had to be in the office for 8:30 every morning so had to leave before 7 to make sure I'd definitely make it (and still ended up late plenty of the time)
    • Public transport wasn't an option as the office was between Southampton and Portsmouth and the nearest train station was a 20 minute walk away.
    • The cost in fuel was quite considerable.
    • Driving on a busy M3 in all kinds of weather was stressful
    • I could rarely go for a drink with work friends as I'd have to leave the car, get the train back to Woking and somehow get back down to pick the car up and drive it back the next day.

Every day it just depressed me more and more. Eventually moved jobs and now I have a cushy number where I can work from home pretty much every day! Much happier.

As for the question of the commute to Cambridge, I know it's by train so isn't as bad as driving, but the cost and time spent commuting each day may start to grate on you before long. Also if there's ever a problem with the train there won't be much other options to get into London, bear that in mind.

Some people don't mind driving and like where they live. Why would he have moved to Dublin if he could work from home 2 days a week anyway? That makes 4 days in Letterkenny and only 3 in Dublin.
    Not really – he was effectively spending three full working days commuting between the two every week.
    I know loads of people here in England who commute into London 2-3 days a week from Brighton/Bristol/other far away places. They don't want to live in London and/or can't afford to but their jobs are there, so do 2-3 long days in London (minimising transport costs) and then have the rest of the week at home with their family. Seems quite sensible to me.
    Oh I know it happens here too. I know of a guy who commutes into London from Weymouth four days a week.

But how does that minimise transport costs? Driving that kind of distance every week must cost a fortune in fuel and car maintenance?

• Advertisement

Not really – he was effectively spending three full working days commuting between the two every week.
    Oh I know it happens here too. I know of a guy who commutes into London from Weymouth four days a week.

But how does that minimise transport costs? Driving that kind of distance every week must cost a fortune in fuel and car maintenance?

I was talking about people who take the train. I meant it's cheaper to commute into London say 2 days a week than 5. I'm doing 3 long days at work and 2 days working from home for that reason - it saves a lot of money. I don't drive so I don't know how much that costs relative to taking the train, but I know quite a few people who carpool and they say it's way cheaper than using public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Marcusm wrote: »
    Brighton's a fairly easy and normal commute; I know a group of people who work together in London who commute from Derby, Rugby adn north of Birmingham - needless to say they have rail related jobs so have an element of enthusiasm.

)

As they work in rail, do they get free travel?

All the cops I know in the Met all live outside of London as they get free trains within 30 miles of London as a benefit.

Takes away what, to my mind, is the greatest barrier to commuting - the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Heather_Honey

Hello, just looking for some opinions.

I moved from Dublin a few months ago and currently loving in Reading, doing a 1hour 20 minute commute to Farnborough for work.

The links from clapham junction to Farnborough are good, only taking 27 minutes.

I really want to make the move to clapham junction although it is expensive... I am hoping to get a bills inc. room for around £600 PCM (I'm not very picky). After rent, train other bills it looks like I would have around £700 cash for other random essentials, clothes, socializing, Oyster card...

Do people think this would be a wise move? I am 24 so really just want to enjoy london life, something not getting in reading which is pretty dull...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Hello, just looking for some opinions.

I moved from Dublin a few months ago and currently loving in Reading, doing a 1hour 20 minute commute to Farnborough for work.

The links from clapham junction to Farnborough are good, only taking 27 minutes.

I really want to make the move to clapham junction although it is expensive... I am hoping to get a bills inc. room for around £600 PCM (I'm not very picky). After rent, train other bills it looks like I would have around £700 cash for other random essentials, clothes, socializing, Oyster card...

Do people think this would be a wise move? I am 24 so really just want to enjoy london life, something not getting in reading which is pretty dull...

Thanks.

Have a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86511124

The train journey might be 27 mins but bear in mind that assuming you're 10 mins from the station at either end and you'll want to arrive about 5 mins before the departure time, that's a total commute of closer to an hour.

EDIT: I just noticed it was you who started that thread I linked to! Don't say you weren't warned!

Thanks. My current commute is running at 1hr 20 to an hour 30 so to be honest, a 50-60 minute commute would be a luxury!!

I just want to make sure I am not going to be leaving myself too short on cash. I have discovered that I can get a youth rail card which will help with commuting costs at least until I'm old :p

I really want to make the move to clapham junction although it is expensive...
    Battersea is becoming phenomenally expensive - you'll probably be able to find something more affordable around Waterloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Thanks. My current commute is running at 1hr 20 to an hour 30 so to be honest, a 50-60 minute commute would be a luxury!!

I just want to make sure I am not going to be leaving myself too short on cash. I have discovered that I can get a youth rail card which will help with commuting costs at least until I'm old :p
    Battersea is becoming phenomenally expensive - you'll probably be able to find something more affordable around Waterloo.

In fairness there're still loads of places within your budget going by spareroom.co.uk. More on the north side of the tracks (the dodgy side) but still grand for a 24 year old single guy. I used to live in the area commuting out towards the Farnborough way. It's a dream really. You always get a seat on the train and often a double. Costly though all in all especially the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

As I understand it, railcards only work after the morning peak.

I also think it a touch unfair that they charge the same ticket to head out of town in the peak with a tenth of the demand for coming in.

Anyway, at 24 I'd recommend you come in to London. It has a good claim for being the greatest city on Earth, summer is especially good.

£700 is fine for a single lad to live on in a month. If you have your bills paid and you go on a bender, which you will, just rein in the spending fora month.

Do it.

Thanks for the responses. It seems the card does work even during peak times as long as the fare is over £12, which it is :) bringing the coat of the train from 320 to 240.

Yeah I think I will move down to london, think I might regret it if I don't :)

enda1 wrote: »
    In fairness there're still loads of places within your budget going by spareroom.co.uk.
    I'm sure there are, but you're competing for space with the Chelsea spillover in Battersea. Waterloo is a different demographic (Kings students, for example), so there may well be more options. Worth considering is all I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 claus_irl

Hi guys, sorry to bother you with this again, I'm also intending to bring my car over from Ireland to the UK, it's an 06 Vectra, do you know if VRT will be much over there when I change registration ? also do you know if I can drive for at least a month with the Irish insurance/tax road if I just move there ? Thanks in advance.

claus_irl wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry to bother you with this again, I'm also intending to bring my car over from Ireland to the UK, it's an 06 Vectra, do you know if VRT will be much over there when I change registration ? also do you know if I can drive for at least a month with the Irish insurance/tax road if I just move there ? Thanks in advance.
    Do you really need it? Running a car here is an expensive business. Then there's the fact that driving in London is probably the single most soul-destroying activity you can engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

There is no VRT in the UK, however you do have to get the Type Approval Certificate for the car (Opel Ireland head office can supply this, they shouldn't charge).

Then you will have to insure the car temporarily with a UK insurer on the chassis number.

Then you need to get an MoT certificate (equivalent of the NCT). Many local garages and tyre centres will do this. Note that a car with a km/h speedometer will fail the MoT - it has to display mp/h.

Then you can go to the DVLA, supply the Irish registration documents and register the car in the UK. You'll need to buy and fit new numberplates from Halfords or a motor factors.

Full info here: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Your Irish insurance should cover you for 30 days' driving in the UK - but do confirm this with them just in case. Make sure to retain ferry tickets as proof of when you entered the UK, just in case you're stopped by police. Irish road tax has no validity in the UK, but you'll be doing yourself no favours with the boys in blue if it's expired, too.

One thing to be aware of in your case - Opels are badged as Vauxhalls in the UK, so if you go to sell the car, it will very obviously be an import and this can put people off. A 2006 Vectra isn't going to be worth much anyway, but this will reduce the value further.

I always think people should consider selling their car in Ireland before moving to the UK - there's a wider choice of better value, better equipped and better looked-after secondhand cars here than in Ireland, and you avoid all that paperwork hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

What 83ste said.

I was faced with this when I moved over, and very quickly decided that it wasn't worth it. So much hassle it is unbelievable

And I have never bought another. You really have to question whether you want one in London....tax and insurance for it sitting idle for weeks on end. Whenever I need a car to do chores, I use Zipcar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 claus_irl

I see, thanks very much for the valuable info guys, I was thinking the same is a better idea, selling it and then buying one there with the cash would be a better idea :) and I won't be driving to London anyway, I'll be taking public transport. Car would be just for days out in the free time and shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Hi,

I'm new to london, and looking for a flatshare and first looked at the obvious places first -camden, clapham, holloway, finsbury park and so on, but finding it impossible to even get a reply to messages / calls. As I'm young - mid 20s - and here on my own with no job yet, I'd rather a place that's a bit more youthful and lively at the weekends, so I had thought these places would be perfect for me, but seems that i'm out of look.

So, for those who know London well, where else would you recommend for a person under 30, willing to pay £500 a month for a house share?

I've got a viewing soon in Brixton and, although I'm well aware of its modern appeal and gentrification, would it still be best for someone like myself to prioritise other areas over it?

Hi,

I'm new to london, and looking for a flatshare and first looked at the obvious places first -camden, clapham, holloway, finsbury park and so on...
    Clapham's become horribly expensive - avoid it.
    As I'm young - mid 20s - and here on my own with no job yet, I'd rather a place that's a bit more youthful and lively at the weekends, so I had thought these places would be perfect for me, but seems that i'm out of look.
    If you're into live music, then Camden is definitely a good option. If you want to mix with London's beautiful young things, then I believe Shoreditch/Old Street is still the choice spot. But don't just limit your search to very specific areas. For example, Belsize Park, Kentish Town and Chalk Farm are all spitting distance from Camden.
    So, for those who know London well, where else would you recommend for a person under 30, willing to pay £500 a month for a house share?
    Well, it's difficult to suggest particular areas without knowing where you're going to be working, but it seems you've got a reasonable idea of where the hot spots are. But like I say, don't commit to anything long-term until you've got yourself a job sorted - you don't want to be spending a load of time and money trekking back and forth across London.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

For example, Belsize Park, Kentish Town and Chalk Farm are all spitting distance from Camden.
    Belsize Park is heinously expensive - we nixed that area as soon as we saw people looking for £1250/month for studios.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'm biased here, but Kilburn is a great area for a young person to live on a tight enough budget. I just had a quick look on spareroom and there are plenty of affordable rooms available in that area. You'd be in zone 2, have jubilee line and overground options, as well as loads of buses (and night buses). There are also plenty of pubs and late venues for the weekend.

• Advertisement

finding it impossible to even get a reply to messages / calls.

That's what its like in London unfortunately, there seems to be more demand than supply so it can be hard to even get a viewing. Everyone finds it difficult.

I live near Brixton and its a good, lively spot.

Advertisement