Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Was considering Streatham as it is a good bit cheaper than Brixton, but the high street is quite grim alright. Would still consider it though - if anyone reading this lives there and could give advice, please let me know! I think Clapham is plain unaffordable for us, as is Balham. Croydon is quite cheap but is very unsafe...I hear endless reports of muggings, stabbings and the like from friends who live round there. I've always thought of West Norwood as being similar...is it not as bad?

What has kept me in North London up to now is that most of South London isn't on a tube line so I'd be relying on the Overground or mainline trains - is that easy to get used to? At the moment I generally wait no more than 5 mins for a train at any time of day...I'd imagine some of the mainline trains would only be 4-5 an hour or something?

I currently work in the Euston area but that may well change in the next few months. My job isn't stable, so would rather just pick an area I like and which has good transport links, so even if I can't get to work directly, I could easily change somewhere.

I don't know how anyone affords to live in Clapham. They must all be earning a lot more than me! What are the regular train links like to Brockley, Forest Hill, etc? I've only been down there once on the Overground and the trains seemed to run every 10 mins to either West Croydon or Crystal Palace...is that typical? Is it more frequent during rush hour?

Firstly, take a look at this for an idea of what is going on there http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/new-stuff-in-streatham.240009/

If you are at the Streatham Hill end of Streatham you can take a quick train to Victoria or a slower one to London Bridge. It does a loop from one to the other. Alternatively, Balham is just a stop away and you're on the Northern Line.

At the other end of Streatham is Streatham station itself. You can take the train direct to St Pancras, which is walking distance to Euston.

The high road, while awful, has so many buses, you can get to Brixton tube very easily. Same with a night out in Brixton.

My favourite shop in London, Mediterranean Food Centre is just beyond the bus garage at Streatham Hill.

All in all, I'd say to go for it if you can make your transport work.

West Norwood did have an unprovoked stabbing death at the bus stop within the last couple of years. I've been told that the snooker club there is a source of the problems. There are some lovely houses in the streets on the left when heading South though. They might describe themselves as West Dulwich rather than West Norwood though. There's the West Dulwich Feast too, which is nice but, Like Streatham, there's no centre to it. The Railway in West Norwood is a great pub and you are close to Brockwell Park.

Playboy wrote: »
    I have lived in Streatham/Balham now for about 7 years. Can advise you on anything you need.

Brilliant, thanks! What sort of budget would you say we'd need for a one-bed in Balham? Looks like there's not much at all on offer for under £1100 which is the furthest we can stretch. It's way too trendy now for our budget, I think. :( Shame because I love it there. I went for a wander in Streatham today and it looks like decent one-beds can be found pretty easily for £1000 - would that be accurate?

My main concerns about Streatham are safety and transport. Have you ever had any issues (mugging, violence, threatening behaviour etc) there? In the couple of hours I was there today, I had two different guys angrily mutter stuff at me (one guy was annoyed that I had the nerve to get off the train before he got on :confused:)...they didn't do anything but it was a bit unnerving as this was 4-6pm in the daytime. People seemed a bit aggressive in general...not overly but way more so than in my current area where nobody pays you the slightest bit of attention and everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. Also...had a longish wait for the train back, over 12 mins, is that typical? Are they more frequent in the rush hour? Is it possible to commute to the Oxford Circus/Euston area by bus or does it just take way too long with the traffic? How long would it take to get to Brixton tube (by bus) in the morning for the Victoria line?

Sorry for all the qs :o
    Firstly, take a look at this for an idea of what is going on there http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/new-stuff-in-streatham.240009/

If you are at the Streatham Hill end of Streatham you can take a quick train to Victoria or a slower one to London Bridge. It does a loop from one to the other. Alternatively, Balham is just a stop away and you're on the Northern Line.

At the other end of Streatham is Streatham station itself. You can take the train direct to St Pancras, which is walking distance to Euston.

The high road, while awful, has so many buses, you can get to Brixton tube very easily. Same with a night out in Brixton.

My favourite shop in London, Mediterranean Food Centre is just beyond the bus garage at Streatham Hill.

All in all, I'd say to go for it if you can make your transport work.

The high road isn't actually as bad as I remembered. Which bit of Streatham do you reckon is better for living in/transport - Streatham Hill or Streatham itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Brilliant, thanks! What sort of budget would you say we'd need for a one-bed in Balham? Looks like there's not much at all on offer for under £1100 which is the furthest we can stretch. It's way too trendy now for our budget, I think. :( Shame because I love it there. I went for a wander in Streatham today and it looks like decent one-beds can be found pretty easily for £1000 - would that be accurate?

Yes Balham is very expensive to buy and rent and a decent size one bedroom will generally set you back approximately £1250+.

Dont underestimate Streatham though, its going through a period of gentrification at the moment with lots of nice pubs and cafes popping up. it also has everything you need. At the Streatham Station end you have a large Morrisons, a massive new Tesco's, Leisure centre and ice rink. There is also a fantastic Jazz Bar and Restaurant called the Keyhole which now has a cafe too. Further down you have an excellent Gastro pub called the Manor Arms which was refurbished recently to the tune of £250k. There is another pub called Pratts and Payne a little further which is new and really good also. The White Lion is across the road from that and its some really good live acts and has open mic nights. Down in Streatham Hill you have a great pub and cocktail bar called the Hamlet.

You have a convenience of a cinema, Argos, Tesco and Sainsbury Express, Iceland, Lidl, Boots, Superdrug, 2 excellent Gyms, lots of independent nice cafes, a Cafe Nero, lots of decent restaurants - Beyrouths, Purple, Mangetsu, Slurp etc. They have renovated part of the high road and starting to renvovate the rest this year. Yes the traffic is a pain but the high street is not that bad anymore. Property prices and rents are increasing very fast as Streatham gets a lot of overspill from Balham, clapham and Brixton as lots of people like you cant afford those areas but like to live in proxomity to them. Balham is fantastic for eating and drinking and is literally only a mile away so no reason you cant just stroll over when you want a change of scenery.

Transport links are great with lots of trains from Streatham hill and Streatham to Victoria, London Bridge, Blackfriars, St Pancreas. Lots of buses every minute to Brixton if you want to catch the Victoria line. You can also get a bus to Balham if you want to take the northern line. Buses also go from the high road regularly to the West End and the City with good night buses too.

I had a 1 bed in streatham about 4 years ago on Prentis Road and that was £900 but it was a great road and a nice apartment. Given how much rentals have been rising in the area it would be safe to assume that you would need to pay approx £1,100 for a similar apartment now. If I was going to recommed roads to live on in Streatham than it would have to be Prentis Road, Becmead Avenue, Woodbourne Avenue or Garrads Road. The first 3 roads are all great roads with the high street with the high street at one end and Tooting common at the other end and a short walk to Balham. Garrads Road is actuualy the road at the end of those 3 roads and is on the common itself but a little bit more expensive and difficult to find available apartments.

In all my years in the area I have no had one unpleasant incident in relation to violence, mugging or intimidation. The high road can get busy and isnt as pleasant as say Balham but that is a small complaint really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been in a house share in Balham the past few years but I hope to move out in the next few months. In an ideal world I'd move from one side of Tooting Common to the other and find a place on either of those streets mentioned above. Will have to take a look at the current rates there.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for the info!
    Playboy wrote: »
    Yes Balham is very expensive to buy and rent and a decent size one bedroom will generally set you back approximately £1250+.

Yeah, we really missed the boat on that one. Wish we'd known about Balham sooner. Didn't realise it was that nice until we finally went to visit friends there last year.
    Dont underestimate Streatham though, its going through a period of gentrification at the moment with lots of nice pubs and cafes popping up. it also has everything you need. At the Streatham Station end you have a large Morrisons, a massive new Tesco's, Leisure centre and ice rink. There is also a fantastic Jazz Bar and Restaurant called the Keyhole which now has a cafe too. Further down you have an excellent Gastro pub called the Manor Arms which was refurbished recently to the tune of £250k. There is another pub called Pratts and Payne a little further which is new and really good also. The White Lion is across the road from that and its some really good live acts and has open mic nights. Down in Streatham Hill you have a great pub and cocktail bar called the Hamlet.

You have a convenience of a cinema, Argos, Tesco and Sainsbury Express, Iceland, Lidl, Boots, Superdrug, 2 excellent Gyms, lots of independent nice cafes, a Cafe Nero, lots of decent restaurants - Beyrouths, Purple, Mangetsu, Slurp etc. They have renovated part of the high road and starting to renvovate the rest this year. Yes the traffic is a pain but the high street is not that bad anymore. Property prices and rents are increasing very fast as Streatham gets a lot of overspill from Balham, clapham and Brixton as lots of people like you cant afford those areas but like to live in proxomity to them. Balham is fantastic for eating and drinking and is literally only a mile away so no reason you cant just stroll over when you want a change of scenery.
    Yeah, was pretty surprised at how nice it was compared to the last time I was there, and that was only 2-3 years ago. Loads of new stuff.
    Transport links are great with lots of trains from Streatham hill and Streatham to Victoria, London Bridge, Blackfriars, St Pancreas. Lots of buses every minute to Brixton if you want to catch the Victoria line. You can also get a bus to Balham if you want to take the northern line. Buses also go from the high road regularly to the West End and the City with good night buses too.

Would links from Streatham Hill be as good as the ones from main Streatham? How long would a bus take from Streatham/SH to Brixton in the rush hour? If I moved down there, I'd probably be taking the Victoria line most of the time.

In all my years in the area I have no had one unpleasant incident in relation to violence, mugging or intimidation. The high road can get busy and isnt as pleasant as say Balham but that is a small complaint really.

That's good to know. A lot of people are telling me Streatham and Brixton are both still fairly dodgy and tbh I didn't get a great vibe from either of them, but perhaps it's because I'm not used to the area. It's dead as anything where I am now, which is kind of good and bad at the same time (it's very boring).

Getting down Brixton Hill in the rush hour can take quite a while, maybe 20 minutes from Streatham Hill station. But there is no waiting at all. In my experience, the side of Streatham High Road which leads to Balham is a bit more desirable than the left side as you head out of town. I like the ABC roads- Amesbury, Barcombe, Cricklade, Downton.

You could also take a look at Upper Tulse Hill. Mid way between Streatham and Brixton but no high street to speak of. A few rows of shops. 10 minutes on the bus to Brixton.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

A lot of people are telling me Streatham and Brixton are both still fairly dodgy...
    Anyone who describes Brixton as "dodgy" doesn't have a clue what they're talking about - they're basing their opinion purely on reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

My fiance may have an opportunity to move to London and work by the gherkin in EC3A 8EP. Could anyone give some advice on where (if anywhere) we could rent a house that would be a good area within an hours commute to the Gherkin for about £1000pcm?

We need a house with a garden as we have two dogs. We're in Dublin at the moment and we commute over an hour anyway so that length is not a bother.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

engrish? wrote: »
    My fiance may have an opportunity to move to London and work by the gherkin in EC3A 8EP. Could anyone give some advice on where (if anywhere) we could rent a house that would be a good area within an hours commute to the Gherkin for about £1000pcm?

We need a house with a garden as we have two dogs. We're in Dublin at the moment and we commute over an hour anyway so that length is not a bother.

Thanks!

You're within a 5-10 minute walk of two mainline rail stations, Fenchurch Street (c2c rail) and Liverpool Street (principally Greater Anglia). Are you looking for somewhere relatively rural, a small town or within the metropolis. Any of the above can easily be reached within 1 hour. The rental costs (generally) decrease the further out you travel but the rail fares increase very substantially too. Basically, you are looking at most of Essex plus some of Hertfordshire.

follow this link for some Essex properties.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?searchType=RENT&locationIdentifier=REGION^61299&insId=1&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=houses&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=1100&maxDaysSinceAdded=&retirement=&sortByPriceDescending=&_includeLetAgreed=on&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&letType=&letFurnishType=&houseFlatShare=false

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Marcusm wrote: »
    You're within a 5-10 minute walk of two mainline rail stations, Fenchurch Street (c2c rail) and Liverpool Street (principally Greater Anglia). Are you looking for somewhere relatively rural, a small town or within the metropolis. Any of the above can easily be reached within 1 hour. The rental costs (generally) decrease the further out you travel but the rail fares increase very substantially too. Basically, you are looking at most of Essex plus some of Hertfordshire.

follow this link for some Essex properties.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?searchType=RENT&locationIdentifier=REGION^61299&insId=1&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=houses&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=1100&maxDaysSinceAdded=&retirement=&sortByPriceDescending=&_includeLetAgreed=on&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&letType=&letFurnishType=&houseFlatShare=false

Thanks! I'd say a small town or rural. We'd love somewhere safe and with open spaces where we could bring the dogs out for walks. I'll start looking through those - thanks again.

engrish? wrote: »
    Thanks! I'd say a small town or rural. We'd love somewhere safe and with open spaces where we could bring the dogs out for walks.
    There are plenty of green spaces in relatively central areas - London has parks and commons all over the place.

But anyway, I think you're going to find it pretty difficult to find a house for £1,000 per month within a reasonable distance of The City in anything other than a really ****ty area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

london bridge station is a little bit further of a walk from the gherkin than liverpool st but it's just across the river. you can add kent the areas to look at. you can get plenty of decent houses in decent areas for that price within an hour's travel.

you can get plenty of decent houses in decent areas for that price within an hour's travel.
    I should have said "reasonable distance and reasonable cost in terms of commuting". For example, Faversham can be reached from London Bridge in just over an hour, but that's a bloody expensive commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

djpbarry wrote: »
    I should have said "reasonable distance and reasonable cost in terms of commuting". For example, Faversham can be reached from London Bridge in just over an hour, but that's a bloody expensive commute.

I don't think it has to be "really ****ty" though; we all have different views on what that might entail just as easily as we might have different views on whether Brixton is dodgy.

The OP should use the season ticket calculator to flex the respective costs.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I don't think it has to be "really ****ty" though; we all have different views on what that might entail just as easily as we might have different views on whether Brixton is dodgy.
    Ok, fair enough. But I think it’s important for anyone looking for a house for £1,000 per month (including bills and council tax?) to realise that their options are going to be fairly limited in the South East, unless they want to be paying huge commuting costs. There’s been more than a few posters on here thinking that they can make big savings by moving further away from Central London, perhaps because many an Irish person is unaware of the extortionate cost of travelling by rail in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Ok, fair enough. But I think it’s important for anyone looking for a house for £1,000 per month (including bills and council tax?) to realise that their options are going to be fairly limited in the South East, unless they want to be paying huge commuting costs. There’s been more than a few posters on here thinking that they can make big savings by moving further away from Central London, perhaps because many an Irish person is unaware of the extortionate cost of travelling by rail in this country.

Absolutely. People coming to London and thinking they can save money by living out of town just dont realise this. Even a season ticket from somewhere not that far away like St Albans, where people might think they can live a little cheaper, will cost you in the region of £4,000. Just to pay for the priviledge of travelling to work. Faversham, which was mentioned earlier, will cost you best part of £5k. Plus car parking costs at the station, if you need to drive, which are astronomical, and just been increased my most operators. If you want to live out of the city purely for economic reasons, it is more likely than not a completely false economy.

Even a season ticket from somewhere not that far away like St Albans, where people might think they can live a little cheaper, will cost you in the region of £4,000.
    To be fair, I seem to remember reading quite recently that St Albans - Kings Cross is one of the most expensive (if not the most expensive) lines in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Absolutely. People coming to London and thinking they can save money by living out of town just dont realise this. Even a season ticket from somewhere not that far away like St Albans, where people might think they can live a little cheaper, will cost you in the region of £4,000. Just to pay for the priviledge of travelling to work. Faversham, which was mentioned earlier, will cost you best part of £5k. Plus car parking costs at the station, if you need to drive, which are astronomical, and just been increased my most operators. If you want to live out of the city purely for economic reasons, it is more likely than not a completely false economy.

Though if you can get a seat at a table on the train, you can get a surprising amount of work done if the sort of job you do is something where you often need to write something up with nobody bothering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Its incredibly hard to get a seat trains going to London during peak hours. Its a horrible way to commute; standing all the way on the journey to work and also paying thousands of pounds in rail fare every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

susanhope wrote: »
    I've ate at the The Pelton Arms and can confirm the food is very good.

excellent!

To be fair, I seem to remember reading quite recently that St Albans - Kings Cross is one of the most expensive (if not the most expensive) lines in the country.

Its not much different to anywhere else of that distance out of town. A colleague lives in Sevenoaks and pays about £4k

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Though if you can get a seat at a table on the train, you can get a surprising amount of work done if the sort of job you do is something where you often need to write something up with nobody bothering you.
    Fair point.

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/9458018.Research_reveals_St_Albans_to_London_is_most_expensive_commute/

I have also read it's the most expensive in Europe before.

Plus the trains are old, overcrowded at peak times and there are frequent disruptions on the line.

St. Albans is a nice place and don't count on it that you'll get a house for £1k per month.

St. Albans is a nice place and don't count on it that you'll get a house for £1k per month.
    No chance. Probably one of the most expensive places to rent in the country, outside London.

No chance. Probably one of the most expensive places to rent in the country, outside London.

When I mentioned at Albans, I wasn't suggesting it as an affordable place to live. Just an example of how much travel costs from suburbia. Could equally have used sevenoaks or somewhere....season tickets are still around £4k

And try going to a pub in some of these places. Expensive and dull.

I have a friend who lives in Radlett. Anyone in London charging the pub prices out there, and giving that service, food and drinks would be out of business in a month.

Just no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Hi folks,

Been here for just over 2 years in same place in sw6 and loving it. The missus has just been offered a contract up in Cambridge that's giving us some serious decisions to make. Has anyone attempted commuting out of London up to Cambridge? Is it do-able? Any reports I've read of going the other way into London sound pretty bad in terms of both cost and experience. Any ideas for spots that might make a reasonable half-way point?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

tibor wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Been here for just over 2 years in same place in sw6 and loving it. The missus has just been offered a contract up in Cambridge that's giving us some serious decisions to make. Has anyone attempted commuting out of London up to Cambridge? Is it do-able? Any reports I've read of going the other way into London sound pretty bad in terms of both cost and experience. Any ideas for spots that might make a reasonable half-way point?

Cheers.

I would say north or north-east London to Cambridge could be tolerable, depending on salary. Having to cross the city as well wouldn't appeal.

• Advertisement

tibor wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Cheers.

I work with someone who does a Cambridge to London commute 4 days a week. Whether it is a do-able commute very much depends on the travel across London. If you are walking distance to Liverpool Street as our office is (eg. live somewhere around Shoreditch) I think it is fine.....just over an hour on the train, which is as long as it takes to get to work in London from some areas in the London suburns. But add travel across London on to that and it turns into something I certainly wouldn't want to be doing every day

If working from home a day or two a week is an option, then it makes the whole thing much more palatable

Advertisement