Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any stereotypical gay characteristics?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

Butterface wrote: »
    What is it with lesbians and checked shirts? I just realised I have four.
    I do try to make an effort to move away from that style, but it's like I'm drawn to the casual section of every clothes shop I enter!

Haha i'm the exact same! I have three at the mo, one of them has a hood attached to it too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

1ZRed wrote: »
    I was trying to think of something and couldn't find anything until it hit me how I talk about fitness a huge amount, I'm a growing gym bunny and would like to be a personal trainer part time for summer work.

I really thought I didn't conform to any stereotype but I suppose every person is going to have at least one or two no matter what!
    thinly veiled " I'm fit and I know it" post :P ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Locker10a wrote: »
    thinly veiled " I'm fit and I know it" post :P ;)

Sorry, I'm only sexy and I know it :pac:

Sorry, I'm only sexy and I know it :pac:

Pics or GTFO!................................. lol jk :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

I was trying to think of something and couldn't find anything until it hit me how I talk about fitness a huge amount, I'm a growing gym bunny and would like to be a personal trainer part time for summer work.

I really thought I didn't conform to any stereotype but I suppose every person is going to have at least one or two no matter what!

I didn't realise being into fitness was a gay stereotype!

• Advertisement

Do you guys like or hate that you have stereotypical gay characteristics? Like before anybody knew I was bi, me liking sport and wrestling and beer and everything was just my 'thing' - nobody made jokes about me being a big lesbian for enjoying these things, it was a 'cool' thing for my male friends and stuff we had in common. Yet now when some of my friends know about my orientation I can't help but think they must feel I'm fufilling a stereotype!! That said, I don't look gay at all but still, it's kinda annoying :pac:

I think it's generally seen as more acceptable for women to like stereotypically "man things" like beer, sports etc. than it is for a guy to be effeminate. A little girl might be praised if she's a bit of a tomboy and most people won't automatically assume she'll grow up to be a lesbian, whereas boys who don't like sports and like pop music and other "girly things" may likely be subjected to words like sissy, f****t etc at some point. It's all bullshít but it's bullshít that's deeply rooted in society. :(

Tbh it does annoy me a little bit when people automatically assume I'm gay without me telling them, and I know it shouldn't but it does and it happens quite a lot. I wouldn't describe myself as being particularly camp or effeminate or anything (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with people who are) but I guess I have some mannerisms that I don't even realise that other people can pick up on.

So to answer your question I'd prefer not to have any stereotypically gay characteristics; I mean I don't think I have many but I guess there's some "quality" (to borrow a phrase from Friends :pac:) that gives me away.

As much as I hate the phrase "straight-acting", and cringe while using it, I guess that's what I'd like to be seen as ideally.

eaglach wrote: »

The gay guy that's mad into his fitness and is a personal trainer is a stereotype, though not as known.

Nerds aren't gay stereotypes imo. I think the stereotypes mainly just go from bitchy, camp twinks to vain, obnoxious jocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Err, I play video games. Does that count?

I'm not especially girly, rarely wear makeup and live in jeans. But I'm definitely not "stereotypical" because people are always surprised when they find out I'm a lesbian. Maybe it's because I have long hair? :P

If you transfer the "lesbian + cats" thing to guinea pigs, then there's that. I have fourteen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think in the States they are known as Muscle Marys!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 morgmorg

I have a bit of a collection of skinny jeans/chinos if that counts for anything...
    Vojera wrote: »
    I have fourteen!
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I think it's generally seen as more acceptable for women to like stereotypically "man things" like beer, sports etc. than it is for a guy to be effeminate. A little girl might be praised if she's a bit of a tomboy and most people won't automatically assume she'll grow up to be a lesbian, whereas boys who don't like sports and like pop music and other "girly things" may likely be subjected to words like sissy, f****t etc at some point. It's all bullshít but it's bullshít that's deeply rooted in society. :(

Tbh it does annoy me a little bit when people automatically assume I'm gay without me telling them, and I know it shouldn't but it does and it happens quite a lot. I wouldn't describe myself as being particularly camp or effeminate or anything (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with people who are) but I guess I have some mannerisms that I don't even realise that other people can pick up on.

So to answer your question I'd prefer not to have any stereotypically gay characteristics; I mean I don't think I have many but I guess there's some "quality" (to borrow a phrase from Friends :pac:) that gives me away.

As much as I hate the phrase "straight-acting", and cringe while using it, I guess that's what I'd like to be seen as ideally.

Yeah I get what you mean. I always give out about how it's hard to meet girls because I don't look gay at all and sometimes I wish I could be into dressing like a stereotypical lesbian (if not short/shaved hair, at least half head shaved but I could never do that!!), so that people would know and maybe it would be easier to meet girls (plus, all the hot girls are into the butch lesbians :( :pac: ).

But I get where you're coming from too. I would dislike it if people, without knowing me, automatically assumed I was gay/bi because I like beer and sports and things like that. You're right - it is more acceptable for a woman. Still, you get idiots who think someone is less of a woman because of my interests, despite the fact that I can be quite girly. Just because I'm not all "ermigawwwd I broke a nail" type doesn't mean I don't like my femininity :D

Yeah I get what you mean. I always give out about how it's hard to meet girls because I don't look gay at all and sometimes I wish I could be into dressing like a stereotypical lesbian (if not short/shaved hair, at least half head shaved but I could never do that!!), so that people would know and maybe it would be easier to meet girls (plus, all the hot girls are into the butch lesbians :( :pac: ).

But I get where you're coming from too. I would dislike it if people, without knowing me, automatically assumed I was gay/bi because I like beer and sports and things like that. You're right - it is more acceptable for a woman. Still, you get idiots who think someone is less of a woman because of my interests, despite the fact that I can be quite girly. Just because I'm not all "ermigawwwd I broke a nail" type doesn't mean I don't like my femininity :D

Given where I thought you were going with that sentence I read it as fanny :D

Err, I play video games. Does that count?

I'm not especially girly, rarely wear makeup and live in jeans. But I'm definitely not "stereotypical" because people are always surprised when they find out I'm a lesbian. Maybe it's because I have long hair? :P

If you transfer the "lesbian + cats" thing to guinea pigs, then there's that. I have fourteen!

How do you keep track of them all? Do they have names? You must need military style procedures for ,feeding, changing bedding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

@ Vojera

Thought of this when you said about your pets :P

It'll be me in 19 years :eek: :(

hi-we-understand-you-are-not-married.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Locker10a wrote: »
    How do you keep track of them all? Do they have names? You must need military style procedures for ,feeding, changing bedding etc.

Of course they all have names! They're all really different , they're easy to tell apart.
    They get veggies twice a day and get their hay and pellets topped up once a day, so it's not that labour-intensive. Cleaning them is the longest (a few mini-cleans during the week and then one big clean) but I have Mrs Vojera to help me. It's totally worth it, they're great craic.

Edit: Oh, and just to be clear, they're all split into groups of boars, sows and some neutered boars with sows, so I have that many by choice, not through random uncontrollable breeding. Eight of them are rescues; I just can't say no to their little faces!

Also, we have a hamster too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

eaglach wrote: »

Not so much here but in other countries it definitely seems to be. Every picture of a gay bar or event in the states seems to show only topless guys with six packs. I gather you get kicked out of these places if you dare have any extra padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Despite my penchant for checked shirts, people don't tend to assume I'm gay either. I have long hair and the only butch thing about me is probably the checked shirts. But I'm the opposite to you. I find it tiresome having to tell people the whole time. I've been away for the last few months and met a lot of new people, and it has become a bother for me to have to keep coming out each time the conversation steers towards relationships etc. Because then it often becomes a topic of conversation, and it's a topic that bores me now. There is a lot more to me than the gay thing which so often becomes a focus of conversation for curious straight people after a few drinks have been taken.

So yeah, I guess I would like it to be more obvious that I'm gay. I should probably get some lesbian accessories, like a whatchamacallit.. a girlfriend :D

Of course they all have names! They're all really different , they're easy to tell apart.
    They get veggies twice a day and get their hay and pellets topped up once a day, so it's not that labour-intensive. Cleaning them is the longest (a few mini-cleans during the week and then one big clean) but I have Mrs Vojera to help me. It's totally worth it, they're great craic.

Edit: Oh, and just to be clear, they're all split into groups of boars, sows and some neutered boars with sows, so I have that many by choice, not through random uncontrollable breeding. Eight of them are rescues; I just can't say no to their little faces!

Also, we have a hamster too!

Ahh that sounds nice!! I imagine talking them out for play time takes quite a while! ( i assume you dont take them all out at once :eek: )
    I had one hamster, he would always go off on adventures for a day or so if he got the opportunity, which happened once or twice! He lived so long too! Like double their expected life time! And he had many very clever means of escape! Once he pretended to be dead! So i very sadly placed him into a cardboard box, and left him in the living room, to bury when i came home from school! When I arrived home he was GONE ! He had risen from the dead! Praise Jesus i thought !!:P untill I realised the fecker was now missing , god knows where in the house! When he got us gone he had chewed a hole in he cardboard coffin and climbed out to freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

My favourite shirts are all pink. If that counts. :o

Tito Man! wrote: »
    My favourite shirts are all pink. If that counts. :o
    Pink to make the boys wink :P

• Advertisement

Butterface wrote: »
    So yeah, I guess I would like it to be more obvious that I'm gay. I should probably get some lesbian accessories, like a whatchamacallit.. a girlfriend :D

This made me lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I don't have that many, but I am a big fan of musicals. It takes up the part of my brain that must traditionally be occupied by football.

Come on admit it, this is how you work out

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

AndrewJD wrote: »
    I don't have that many, but I am a big fan of musicals. It takes up the part of my brain that must traditionally be occupied by football.

This is me too! Borderline obsession with them sometimes and all!

Come on admit it, this is how you work out

There are other ways to work out besides this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I've been thinking about the question in this thread for a while.

Is anyone else just weird? :confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I like to say 'quirky'. It takes a while for people to get me for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Without a shadow of a doubt....

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tainor

Hmmm I am afraid to answer this one LOL...nah I tend to think I am a typical normal lad, but then again..some of the fellow members of the boards have gotten the habit of referring to me as "princess" :confused: and recently the "princess of all knowledge" LOL.

People who are not in my circle of friends, tend to be surprised when I tell them I am gay, although the friends that know that I am gay are not surprised due to the lack of girl..excitement for a considerable time :D

I've been told, by the fellow boards members that the more drunk, the more my "straightness" level seems to decline :D , guess this only occurs when I feel on my own turf, so to say :P But I will not classify myself as camp (absolutely *nothing*(lol how did I missed this) wrong about it) or neither 100% butch...just "normal". :P

P.S. I don't like football lol...whole family is into it...also dated a footballer for 2 years...life loves irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

I'm a strange one.

On one hand, I have long(for a guy) straight hair, which alone gives me away. Then with the way I dress, skinny jeans and so on, I come across as the ultimate homo. I feel as though I'm starting to develop some campness(hand movement etc.) aswell. I also prefer female company when it comes to friendship.

However, I spend my weekends on football terraces, hope for a career on Wall St and absolutely HATE left wing politics.

Advertisement