Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any stereotypical gay characteristics?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

jaydoxx wrote: »
    My friends call me the worst gay guy in the world and I have broken some of my friends gaydars but I think that's mainly down to the lack of exposure to gay people who aren't extremely stereotypical because I definitely have my moments. Sometimes I wonder what people think about me when I have my gay fits and go from straight as - to raging homo and back in a single sentence. :P

My friends call me a sexually retarded straight lad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

1ZRed wrote: »
    My friends call me a sexually retarded straight lad :p

Insulting and hilarious all in one, I like it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Well when I first came out at around 17 I was definitely way more stereotypically gay probably to fit in more... I dunno... Now, I'm very different. There are still stereotypical gay things I like such as the Eurovision (a guilty pleasure), Madonna and Kylie and musicals but I like many many other things like working out, rugby, computer tech stuff, video games, hiking, camping, literature, philosophy, languages and I definitely dress down a lot more normally wearing hoodies, baggy jeans and runners. But anyway all being gay really is is being attracted to the same sex so mannerisms, interests and appearances mean little tbh. We're a spectrum of very diverse people which makes our community so great ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

My friends call me the worst gay guy in the world and I have broken some of my friends gaydars but I think that's mainly down to the lack of exposure to gay people who aren't extremely stereotypical because I definitely have my moments. Sometimes I wonder what people think about me when I have my gay fits and go from straight as - to raging homo and back in a single sentence. :P

Would you consider flying of the handle like that to be a gay trait? I have a very short fuse, no patience and loose my cool very often, it can be pretty dramatic, but I'd never call myself a drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Seamai wrote: »
    Would you consider flying of the handle like that to be a gay trait? I have a very short fuse, no patience and loose my cool very often, it can be pretty dramatic, but I'd never call myself a drama queen.

Nah not necessarily, but in my case I can get very excited about very gay things, such as ABBA :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭brokenice

Everyone has their moments. We all get excited about something or other. I like to chow down on a nice slab of Madge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Bougeoir wrote: »
    Well when I first came out at around 17 I was definitely way more stereotypically gay probably to fit in more... I dunno... Now, I'm very different. There are still stereotypical gay things I like such as the Eurovision (a guilty pleasure), Madonna and Kylie and musicals but I like many many other things like working out, rugby, computer tech stuff, video games, hiking, camping, literature, philosophy, languages and I definitely dress down a lot more normally wearing hoodies, baggy jeans and runners. But anyway all being gay really is is being attracted to the same sex so mannerisms, interests and appearances mean little tbh. We're a spectrum of very diverse people which makes our community so great ;)

You sound a bit like me except for musicals, Madonna and working out. I like the Eurovision and some Kylie songs are quite nice. But I like my languages, swimming and I dress down a lot in baggy jeans, hoodies and stuff.

As regards the mannerisms, I think traits are all relative. One person might say I'm a tad camp and another person might perceive it as being really quirky. We are a little diverse community though, which is great!

I'm not a fan of either Madonna or Kylie but both have released some genuinely good songs over the years, particularly when they abandoned the stereotypical "gay club anthem" sound and went for something a bit different. Like these are both fantastic songs imo:

Nah not necessarily, but in my case I can get very excited about very gay things, such as ABBA :pac:

I've never really understood why ABBA are seen as a gay thing, I mean they were a group of two heterosexual married couples! And my Dad's always been a big fan of ABBA, I remember him playing their tapes back when I was about 5 or 6. So I always think of them as an older-person thing rather than a gay thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've never really understood why ABBA are seen as a gay thing, I mean they were a group of two heterosexual married couples! And my Dad's always been a big fan of ABBA, I remember him playing their tapes back when I was about 5 or 6. So I always think of them as an older-person thing rather than a gay thing! :D

Dancing Queen. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

Straight people often don't immediately realise I'm gay, but I think it's pretty obvious to gay guys. Something about the expression in my eyes, or how they move. Sometimes I sit very gay and sometimes I don't. Same thing with my voices. Sometimes gay, sometimes bogger.

Other than that, I remember as a child seeing Grace Jones in A View To A Kill and thinking she was the most amazing thing ever. That's pretty gay.

Also I used to be obsessed with Bjork, which amongst gays is the artier version of being obsessed with Madonna or Kylie :-P

• Advertisement
Advertisement