Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any stereotypical gay characteristics?

Options
  • 12-05-2013 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Just curious :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

I smoke like a camp hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have the side of my head shaved. I look sharp in a suit jacket and I am heavily tattooed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yes, I sleep with men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I have a wardrobe that would rival Imelda Marcos... but I spend most of my time loafing around in hoodies, jeans and runners. :o I seriously have spent loads in my time on suits, shirts, blazers, slacks, formal shoes, etc., but rarely wear them. Fashion whore.

Apart from that, I'm pretty "red-blooded" and eschew most of the (negative and positive) stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 morgmorg

Some of my music collection, not that anyone here would know who they are...

2011-cher-400.jpgkylie_minogue.jpg

lady-gaga-1300.jpgmadonna-cropped-proto-custom_141.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I love beer and sports...and women :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

When I'm packing for a weekend away sometimes I might bring enough clothes for 2 weeks

I've done drag a few times

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I loves a bit of DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

I play/watch sports, wear tracksuit bottoms far too much, think make up is a trek, am more likely to wear flats than heels on a night out and tend to wear wifebeaters!

I have an unhealthy obsession with Eurovision. Am also a big fan of Lady Gaga (though friends who are MUCH camper than me accuse me of being a music snob 'cause I mostly listen to indie/alternative! :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Duckface on anytime I'm standing in front of a mirror, even the little round ones in some atms

Any mirror is good for the pouty self pic

And no sense of humour

:pac:

Do you guys like or hate that you have stereotypical gay characteristics? Like before anybody knew I was bi, me liking sport and wrestling and beer and everything was just my 'thing' - nobody made jokes about me being a big lesbian for enjoying these things, it was a 'cool' thing for my male friends and stuff we had in common. Yet now when some of my friends know about my orientation I can't help but think they must feel I'm fufilling a stereotype!! That said, I don't look gay at all but still, it's kinda annoying :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Nope!!

I'm a girl, I wear make up and high heels as well as skirts ans dresses. I don't own a checked shirt. I have long hair. I hate football with a passion.

I do however love women, think they are effin gorgeous and am very very gay.
    The amount of times i get told I'm 'not really gay though' by other lesbians is shocking.

I've been out for 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Do you guys like or hate that you have stereotypical gay characteristics?

I love Whitney Houston, Joan Crawford movies, shows like Queer as Folk USA (just finished boxset - superb!) and Smash (OK, I love most musicals!), tend to wear certain types of clothes that are a bit youthful for my age (clothes that some might call ghey) and oh yeah, have a man bag and also, I enjoy Cosmopolitans. This is just a tiny subset of all my interests - the rest of my interests and traits are as boringly straight as everyone elses!:) I don't believe I have any typical physical mannerisms (voice, walk, hand gestures etc) but could be open to correction!:p

To answer Jaffacakesyum's question, I think when I was younger and not out or less out, I was more self conscious of giving away any clue that I was gay to those that didn't know so perhaps hid those characteristics/interests more or perhaps was frustrated that I liked them at all rather than GAA or golf. Now, that I am at ease with myself (as is everyone around me), I embrace my interests/traits as it's part of my personality. I even poke fun at my more obvious gay traits sometimes, so no, it doesn't annoy me as it's part of who I am and I'm happy with that!:)

ongarboy wrote: »
    I love Whitney Houston, Joan Crawford movies, shows like Queer as Folk USA (just finished boxset - superb!) and Smash (OK, I love most musicals!), tend to wear certain types of clothes that are a bit youthful for my age (clothes that some might call ghey) and oh yeah, have a man bag and also, I enjoy Cosmopolitans. This is just a tiny subset of all my interests - the rest of my interests and traits are as boringly straight as everyone elses!:) I don't believe I have any typical physical mannerisms (voice, walk, hand gestures etc) but could be open to correction!:p

To answer Jaffacakesyum's question, I think when I was younger and not out or less out, I was more self conscious of giving away any clue that I was gay to those that didn't know so perhaps hid those characteristics/interests more or perhaps was frustrated that I liked them at all rather than GAA or golf. Now, that I am at ease with myself (as is everyone around me), I embrace my interests/traits as it's part of my personality. I even poke fun at my more obvious gay traits sometimes, so no, it doesn't annoy me as it's part of who I am and I'm happy with that!:)

Yeah I getcha!! I know myself that my stereotypical gay characteristics are just a tiny subset! I am very straight in that I dress feminine, love shopping, love Disney movies, enjoy girly chats about guys still :pac:, love makeup even if I don't wear as much of it or as frequently as many girls! etc. The sport and beer side of me is just one aspect of my life and I could just as easily have all these interests and be straight, as I was for many years before realising!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think a total disinterest in sports is my most stereotypically gay characteristic.

Although I'm also a profesional nerd, so that's like a stereotype double-whammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Steve!

I really like pop music, make sure I'm always looking presentable and am friends with a load of girls. I am what I am....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Goodshape wrote: »
    I think a total disinterest in sports is my most stereotypically gay characteristic.

Although I'm also a profesional nerd, so that's like a stereotype double-whammy.

I hear you dude. I'd only watch Ireland in the rugby. Beyond that, not really.

I love how you said 'professional nerd'. I'm quite nerdy in a quirky kinda way. Thankfully not like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

floggg wrote: »
    Yes, I sleep with men.

Who let this flamer in? :rolleyes:

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

1ZRed wrote: »
    Who let this flamer in? :rolleyes:

:P

Lol. Don't be bitter because I got in ahead of you with that one!

• Advertisement

floggg wrote: »
    Lol. Don't be bitter because I got in ahead of you with that one!

In fairness I thought about it when I read the thread title and then I saw your post and thought fuk you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

I hear you dude. I'd only watch Ireland in the rugby. Beyond that, not really.

I love how you said 'professional nerd'. I'm quite nerdy in a quirky kinda way. Thankfully not like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. ;)

So, you make an exception for rugby? I wonder why.... ;)

FiachDubh wrote: »
    So, you make an exception for rugby? I wonder why.... ;)

Well it's an aesthetically pleasing sport in so many ways. Lots of action. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Well it's an aesthetically pleasing sport in so many ways. Lots of action. ;)

Cauliflower ears.

OneArt wrote: »
    Cauliflower ears.

Point taken. Ewww.

My little finger stands up away from the glass when I am drinking a beer.

I have been told on more occasions than I can count this looks "gay".

OneArt wrote: »
    Cauliflower ears.

You're right. Damn dat shít sexeh! ;):V

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

I've only seen a few musicals, but those I have seen I've really liked.
    I have dressed in drag for Hallowe'en a few times and quite enjoyed it.
    I cry at sad films and sometimes at even vaguely sad moments in a film/TV show.
    I generally don't like sport (but do watch American Football).
    I have more female friends than male and when out drinking, I'm usually the only guy.
    Apparently, I hold a cigarette quite "gayly" at times, this was pointed out to me by a gay friend!
    I would drink more spirits/cocktails when out than beer, but still have all beer nights sometimes.

Apart from those, I'm all man, baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

What is it with lesbians and checked shirts? I just realised I have four.
    I do try to make an effort to move away from that style, but it's like I'm drawn to the casual section of every clothes shop I enter!

• Advertisement

I was trying to think of something and couldn't find anything until it hit me how I talk about fitness a huge amount, I'm a growing gym bunny and would like to be a personal trainer part time for summer work.

I really thought I didn't conform to any stereotype but I suppose every person is going to have at least one or two no matter what!

Advertisement