Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ulster Rugby v Llanelli Scarlets, Rabo SF, Friday 10th May 2013 19:45

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bilston wrote: »
    You think Trimble should be banned? Ive never taken you for a WUM before IBF.
    Striking with the fist pretty much always gets a ban. Both of them may end up with an early summer holiday.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

All I can see is trimble striking the player twice to head with what appears to be a closed fist.
    Isn't that a sending off offense.

Poc got suspended for a lot less a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All I can see is trimble striking the player twice to head with what appears to be a closed fist.
    Isn't that a sending off offense.

Poc got suspended for a lot less a few years back

It was a shove in the face. Listen if Leinster fans are scared if taking on Trimble in two weeks time then fair enough I can understand that but calling for someone to be banned for shoving someone in the face is an absolute nonsense. Maybe people are confusing football with rugby.

It was a shove in the face. Listen if Leinster fans are scared if taking on Trimble in two weeks time then fair enough I can understand that but calling for someone to be banned for shoving someone in the face is an absolute nonsense. Maybe people are confusing football with rugby.

Haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's a bit unclear as to what Trimble's intentions were. From my viewing, when he struck Williams he was holding onto his jersey at the same time. I think he was simply attempting to give Williams an aggressive shove and inadvertently struck Williams in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, if Trimble's offense was a red card then I give up... A bit of jossle and handbags in a ruck, nothing more. Williams was doing his best to try and uppercut Trimble in the head to cause damage, repeatedly.. Massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Trimble punched Williams in the face.
    Williams responded by punching him 3 times.
    Both should have seen Reds, and should get 2 week bans IMO.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is what I think should have happened, but it won't and that is fine. I'm not complaining about the decision, just that I would have refereed it differently.

Anyway.

Rolland got a lot wrong. Missing the foot trip gave Ulster the first try.
    If he spots that its a penalty and possibly a yellow card as it was intentional.
    Game changer.

It would have been a travesty if the Scarlets had got to the final on that performance.
    They really missed Priestland. Owen Williams is a nice young player but he really looked clueless as to how to get the backline moving at times.
    Their Lions let them down as well. North made a shocking tackle attempt on Bowe for the first try and Jonathan Davies has looked terrible recently. His trademark appears to be his wide pass straight into touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Trimble punched him in the head. Williams retaliated and both deserved 10 minutes. Nothing more complicated than that.
    Not the first time Trimble has got antsy this season, but a suspension is a bit over the top.
    Funny to see the two of the them so sheepish afterwards though.

C'mon, more Leinster fans are defending him here. But fine, see it your way... Keep your Trimbles! :D

I still think Rolland had a decent game. It's easy for us to say 'OH he should've seen that' when we have the benefit of 1,000 camera angles and super-slo-mo footage. It's not like he admitted to seeing certain things and then made the wrong call, ala Owens in Thomond Park. Good warm up game for the big one next week I think. Rolland still has the best feel for the game out of the top tier refs imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

.ak wrote: »
    C'mon, more Leinster fans are defending him here. But fine, see it your way... Keep your Trimbles! :D

Also a Leinster fan and I believe he has been hard done by with regards to the Ireland squad. Great season and I hope to see him a bit more in an Green jersey if he keeps up this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

After looking at the laws my opinion was wrong.

I didn't realise that they don't put certain offences into Red and Yellow card categories.

Its totally down to the Referee to decide if an act of foul play is serious enough to warrant Red Card or just a Yellow card.

As the punches weren't serious, the yellow card is the right call.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    After looking at the laws my opinion was wrong.

I didn't realise that they don't put certain offences into Red and Yellow card categories.

Its totally down to the Referee to decide if an act of foul play is serious enough to warrant Red Card or just a Yellow card.

As the punches weren't serious, the yellow card is the right call.

the citing commissioner might have a different viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I think the game died in the last 30 minutes but I think that was because of more ten minutes in breaks between two inuries at 47 and 49 minutes

Bit of both probably... Game won and long break for injuries is sure to kill the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He struck someone in the face, for me that's a ban every time.

Edit: I love Trimble btw, nothing to do with him or Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I still think Rolland had a decent game. It's easy for us to say 'OH he should've seen that' when we have the benefit of 1,000 camera angles and super-slo-mo footage. It's not like he admitted to seeing certain things and then made the wrong call, ala Owens in Thomond Park. Good warm up game for the big one next week I think. Rolland still has the best feel for the game out of the top tier refs imo.
    Rolland wasn't at fault there, it was the AR as Rolland was a good bit behind the action whereas the AR was right beside it.

Anyway George Hook was the one having a go at Rolland and since it's George Hook, it's obviously wrong. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Ya Trimble struck him in the face and should have gotten red. Williams did much worse in his retaliation though and should be looking at a longer ban

Worth noting that Williams initially started the niggle at a ruck a few minutes before hand doing his usual hardman act.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm only mucking. Just you guys worry about the Weeg first and then we can start the banter ahead of the final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I thought Trimble just shoved him, you see arms and hands being shoved into faces all the time at rucks and if you gave a red for it you'd be left with a 7's game. Williams on the other hand threw 3/4 punches to a players face on the ground and connected.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought Trimble just shoved him too, if I remember right Trimble had a constant hold of his shirt. If that was a punch then it was a fairly crap attempt.

But I'd need to see the replay again I think.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I thought Trimble just shoved him too, if I remember right Trimble had a constant hold of his shirt. If that was a punch then it was a fairly crap attempt.

But I'd need to see the replay again I think.

It's on the previous page. He picked him up and drove him across the other side of the ruck and then struck out at his face twice.

By looking at it I think Trimble tries to cover off a punch by grabbing his shirt first. I think he knew what he was doing tbh. Pretty silly really because he could have easily been sent off

Best policy with guys like Williams is to just ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

jesus lads, some people are going a bit overboard with the trimble incident. Handbags is all it was. I thought Rolland made a fair call. Over-reaction by the scarlets lad, but i can understand why. If you're on your back and getting struck by someone, lashing out is an instinctive reaction. 10 minutes in the bin for the lads to cool down was proper order. I'm sure they shook hands after and will have a laugh about it someday.

Talk about bans is absolutely ridiculous. Would hate to see rugby go in that direction. pre-meditated strikes, a la manu luilaigi are a completely different affair and need to be sanctioned. BUt the odd dig is inevetible in matches of high-intensity.

I don't mind digs at all and I don't mind them getting away with them. But that is how I think the law is supposed to be interpretend and there is no doubt that both these guys hit the other in the face. I'm not going to be upset if Trimble gets away with it because he's in great form and deserves to be playing in the final based on that.

sweetthing wrote: »
    jesus lads, some people are going a bit overboard with the trimble incident. Handbags is all it was. I thought Rolland made a fair call. Over-reaction by the scarlets lad, but i can understand why. If you're on your back and getting struck by someone, lashing out is an instinctive reaction. 10 minutes in the bin for the lads to cool down was proper order. I'm sure they shook hands after and will have a laugh about it someday.

Talk about bans is absolutely ridiculous. Would hate to see rugby go in that direction. pre-meditated strikes, a la manu luilaigi are a completely different affair and need to be sanctioned. BUt the odd dig is inevetible in matches of high-intensity.

Handbags are handbags, but you can't just punch someone 3 or 4 times into the face as Williams did without repercussions, even if he didn't throw the first punch

They both acted stupidly but I have far more sympathy for Trimble given the fact that he threw a punch that wasn't as malicious as the ones Williams followed up with and the fact that Williams has a track record of thuggery and started the niggle between the two at a previous ruck

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On reviewing it, yea it's definitely a punch by Trimble.

Williams was shipped off at 50min. Wonder was he injured or was Easterby worried about him losing his cool

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

I don't mind digs at all and I don't mind them getting away with them. But that is how I think the law is supposed to be interpretend and there is no doubt that both these guys hit the other in the face. I'm not going to be upset if Trimble gets away with it because he's in great form and deserves to be playing in the final based on that.

Someone with a bit of sense. Its rugby, fights happen. Do you want them turning into football players

I don't buy the "It's rugby" excuse. I mean in rugby two guys can get thick and shove each other around and common sense will prevail, and rightly so. But punching is a completely different matter altogether and has no place in the game imo

• Advertisement

trouttrout wrote: »
    I don't buy the "It's rugby" excuse. I mean in rugby two guys can get thick and shove each other around and common sense will prevail, and rightly so. But punching is a completely different matter altogether and has no place in the game imo

Ah punching has a place in the game. It's place is in the grey area of illegality within the game rather than something like gouging or spearing which have no place in the game.

Advertisement