Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OTB v3 - Revenge of the Banter Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I pay €30 a week rent to my folks. They're being very cheeky. Worse than children! Normally I'm pretty generous with my cash but they both knew that I've been itching to get a tat and pay off my camera if I ever got enough money. Urgh. Their view is "my cash is everyone's cash" and that we all share but if you've ever seen me share a bedroom with my brother, you'll know that sharing gets on my nerves to the point that someone is going to end up getting punched.
    I've lost good DVDs because of "sharing" and some of my stuff is returned to me either broken or faulty. Money tyakes days to be paid back and I'm left inconvienienced because of it? **** that. I DON'T SHARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Why does your mam want you to pay for something she wants? Tell her you already have the money ear marked for something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Why does your mam want you to pay for something she wants? Tell her you already have the money ear marked for something

This!! ^^^

Sorry McChubbin, you're a feckin' grown-up! You need to realise this as much as they do! Tell them it's YOUR money, that YOU won and you're gonna spend it on what YOU want!!! They don't like it - TOUGH! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

so according to my emails apparently i'm going to learn japanese."confirmation of your order of new instant immersion learn japanese language software".drunk ebaying you did it again

Urgh. My brother just phoned me up and gave me the ol "how will you look when you're 80" speech about getting a tattoo done. FFS I can't cope with having a family of such conserative arsewipes. I wish I lived somewhere where tats, mods, piercings and crazy hair colours were more widely accepted. Grrr. ****ing angry right now. I told my bro that I've been planning my Eeyore tat for the last 3 years and that I've changed my intital placement from my wrist to my ankle as I needed to consider my future employablitity options.
    I hate this crap. I'm 25 years old yet as long as I still live with my parents I'm constantly dictated to over how I dress. where I go, what time I come home, who I'm with, what colour I can dye my hair, what I can spent MY money on- ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH!
    I'm desperate to move out but I have little in the way of savings and no discernable skills that would look good on a CV.
    Yet whenever I suggest doing something actually give me a skill (example: I want to do a course in beginner's photography as I'd like to try it), I'm met with ridicule and cries of "Oh, Chubbs. Don't be stupid. Photography won't pay the bills. Use your time and energy on something a bit more productive, will you?"
    I feel if I stay here any longer my spirit will shrivel up and die.
    I ****ing hate this existence. I can't seem to do anything right. :mad: :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

January wrote: »
    Do you work?

Yeah, do you work or even have a part time job? You don't need savings to move out as such. You really need to get out of there for your own sanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

McChubbin wrote: »
    Urgh. My brother just phoned me up and gave me the ol "how will you look when you're 80" speech about getting a tattoo done. FFS I can't cope with having a family of such conserative arsewipes. I wish I lived somewhere where tats, mods, piercings and crazy hair colours were more widely accepted. Grrr. ****ing angry right now. I told my bro that I've been planning my Eeyore tat for the last 3 years and that I've changed my intital placement from my wrist to my ankle as I needed to consider my future employablitity options.
    I hate this crap. I'm 25 years old yet as long as I still live with my parents I'm constantly dictated to over how I dress. where I go, what time I come home, who I'm with, what colour I can dye my hair, what I can spent MY money on- ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH!
    I'm desperate to move out but I have little in the way of savings and no discernable skills that would look good on a CV.
    Yet whenever I suggest doing something actually give me a skill (example: I want to do a course in beginner's photography as I'd like to try it), I'm met with ridicule and cries of "Oh, Chubbs. Don't be stupid. Photography won't pay the bills. Use your time and energy on something a bit more productive, will you?"
    I feel if I stay here any longer my spirit will shrivel up and die.
    I ****ing hate this existence. I can't seem to do anything right. :mad: :(:(

There are loads of options available to you.

Your folks are right about photography, though. It's not a steady income source. It's like me doing gigs (I sing and play instruments). I might get 5 in a week sometimes, which gives me about 1,250 euro on top of my wages for that week, or I could get nothing for a few months, as is the case at the moment. If I tried to survive solely on gigs, I wouldn't manage it. Photography is similar. it's not a steady income.

Anyway... There are still loads of things you can do.

You can do a FAS course, or a college course.

You can look into CE Schemes or JobBridge.

You can look for jobs (there ARE some jobs out there).

You can do volunteer work, to heighten your employability.

if you're on the dole or disability, you could more than likely manage to afford a room in a house share.

If you're on disability (I'm presuming you are, given the numerous medical conditions you've mentioned having), you can apply for rent allowance. Usually you have to be privately renting for 6 months to get it, but two of my friends who are on disability (one has Asperger's, one is extremely short) have both been approved for it, they just have to find a place to move into now.

There are tonnes of options out there, if you get up and grasp any opportunities you can find.

Talk to Citizens' Information, they're a wealth of useful information.

And tell your brother that you're hardly going to be attractive at 80 years of age anyway, so who cares what your tattoo will look like?

But for real, if you hate your living situation so much, you need to get up and change it.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    There are loads of options available to you.

Your folks are right about photography, though. It's not a steady income source. It's like me doing gigs (I sing and play instruments). I might get 5 in a week sometimes, which gives me about 1,250 euro on top of my wages for that week, or I could get nothing for a few months, as is the case at the moment. If I tried to survive solely on gigs, I wouldn't manage it. Photography is similar. it's not a steady income.

Anyway... There are still loads of things you can do.

You can do a FAS course, or a college course.

You can look into CE Schemes or JobBridge.

You can look for jobs (there ARE some jobs out there).

You can do volunteer work, to heighten your employability.

if you're on the dole or disability, you could more than likely manage to afford a room in a house share.

If you're on disability (I'm presuming you are, given the numerous medical conditions you've mentioned having), you can apply for rent allowance. Usually you have to be privately renting for 6 months to get it, but two of my friends who are on disability (one has Asperger's, one is extremely short) have both been approved for it, they just have to find a place to move into now.

There are tonnes of options out there, if you get up and grasp any opportunities you can find.

Talk to Citizens' Information, they're a wealth of useful information.

And tell your brother that you're hardly going to be attractive at 80 years of age anyway, so who cares what your tattoo will look like?

But for real, if you hate your living situation so much, you need to get up and change it.

I know all this- matter of fact I have the forms for Rent Allowence kicking around somewhere in a drawer. I'm currently still waiting to be given a place on a FAS course designed for reintergrating people with mental health issues back into the work force but I've heard nothing despite leaving several voice messages enquring about it.

As for volenteering, A few hurdles: I don't own a car so I have to rely on public transportation and secondly, I would personally find it very disheartening to do a job and not get paid.

As for getting a room in a house share, that's a complete no go. I have few to no real friends outside of the internet bubble that I would consider to be close and the thought of living with complete strangers makes my skin crawl.
    I've been on the list for Social Housing since 2009 but heard nothing.

I'm getting by but barely. I have approximately €1000 in credit union shares but I'm still paying off a loan to the sum of around €2000 which is difficult being on Disability.

Then there's the fact that my mother is horribly clingy and certainly won't let me go without one hell of a fight. Hell, I was 17 years old and had to practically get down on my hands and knees and BEG for her to let me go into Dublin City Centre on my own when I was a teenager.

I could go on but I'd likely have to start up my own thread in Personal Issues...

I know all this- matter of fact I have the forms for Rent Allowence kicking around somewhere in a drawer. I'm currently still waiting to be given a place on a FAS course designed for reintergrating people with mental health issues back into the work force but I've heard nothing despite leaving several voice messages enquring about it.

As for volenteering, A few hurdles: I don't own a car so I have to rely on public transportation and secondly, I would personally find it very disheartening to do a job and not get paid.

As for getting a room in a house share, that's a complete no go. I have few to no real friends outside of the internet bubble that I would consider to be close and the thought of living with complete strangers makes my skin crawl.
    I've been on the list for Social Housing since 2009 but heard nothing.

I'm getting by but barely. I have approximately €1000 in credit union shares but I'm still paying off a loan to the sum of around €2000 which is difficult being on Disability.

Then there's the fact that my mother is horribly clingy and certainly won't let me go without one hell of a fight. Hell, I was 17 years old and had to practically get down on my hands and knees and BEG for her to let me go into Dublin City Centre on my own when I was a teenager.

I could go on but I'd likely have to start up my own thread in Personal Issues...

I'm going to say I'm sorry in advance if ANYTHING I say sounds harsh, because I truly, honestly don't mean it to, I'm just trying to help, as blunt as I may come across, okay?

But anyway.

FAS courses have massive waiting lists, like seriously bad waiting lists for the 'high demand' courses, and something relating to helping mental health patients would be very high demand because mental health issues are on the rise. So, what I'd suggest is to go into your local social welfare office, and speak to them at the information desk about other options. They usually have other sorts of programmes on. My younger sister was recently offered a place on a jobs club, to prepare her for interviews, help her with her CV, etc etc. Only takes 4 hours a day over three days. Things like that can be extremely helpful if you have no real work or educational experience (I don't know your work or education levels, I'm speaking in general terms here).

Public transport to get to or from a job or volunteer work - I don't see the issue here tbh? Public transport in Swords is great. There's 5 buses I can think of off the top of my head with CIE that run into town, so it's not like you'd ever be stuck waiting an hour, you'd just have to time them before you get them.

Not wanting to do a job without being paid for it - tbh, I can understand that, but while you have nothing else going for you, it will give you vital work experience, look great on a CV (because it'll show you're willing to work for free when desperate, showing work ethic rather than laziness) and could get you used to speaking with strangers and new people.

House shares - tbh, if you're not willing to live with strangers in a house share, there's little I can suggest about that. But c'mon, there's no way it could be worse than living with your parents, based on what you say about them.

Your mother being clingy - Well... To be blunt, not only does she and your stepfather need to realise you're an adult, YOU need to realise it, as somebody said earlier. You're allowing them to treat you like a child, and how can you grow up and move on in life if you're still being treated like an unruly child (I'm not saying you are one, I'm saying they're treating you like one, btw)? You can't become independent if you're being treated like a 12 year old, but YOU need to realise that yourself and do something about it.

• Advertisement

You've little or no hope of being given social housing for another 4 years+... unless you are damn lucky. Myself and my partner are on the list since he lost his job last year and we're being told it'll be at least 7 years with 3 kids. We're hoping he gets some proper employment sometime soon!

Could you get Back To Education Allowance? Research some college courses that interest you and do a late application, you could be there for September, I did it in my Leaving Cert year after dropping to Foundation Maths at the last second. PLC courses open up loads of doors, even studying abroad.

As a single person you are entitled to 500+ euro in Rent Allowance to live on your own. There are lovely 1 bed apartments available for that on Daft.ie.

January wrote: »
    You've little or no hope of being given social housing for another 4 years+... unless you are damn lucky. Myself and my partner are on the list since he lost his job last year and we're being told it'll be at least 7 years with 3 kids. We're hoping he gets some proper employment sometime soon!

Could you get Back To Education Allowance? Research some college courses that interest you and do a late application, you could be there for September, I did it in my Leaving Cert year after dropping to Foundation Maths at the last second. PLC courses open up loads of doors, even studying abroad.

As a single person you are entitled to 500+ euro in Rent Allowance to live on your own. There are lovely 1 bed apartments available for that on Daft.ie.

AFAIK people on disability are eligible for BTEA, my friend with Asperger's is on it. Applications need to be filled out before the end of this month.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    AFAIK people on disability are eligible for BTEA, my friend with Asperger's is on it. Applications need to be filled out before the end of this month.
    I didn't know this and my mother volenteers for Citizen's Information! :eek:
    I'll need to ask her some serious questions about my entitlements. Thanks for all the information and advice, guys. Sorry if I came across as a bit petulent. It's very frustrating living like this. :(

I'll need to ask her some serious questions about my entitlements. Thanks for all the information and advice, guys. Sorry if I came across as a bit petulent. It's very frustrating living like this. :(

It was either BTEA that my friend is on, or a Springboard course, which is essentially the same thing, you keep your social welfare entitlements.

Course you're gonna feel down over it, no need to apologise. I know what it's like living with a dysfunctional family, and I struggled to get bi-polar under control for seven years, so don't think I'm judging you because I'm not. I'm just lucky that I turned my life around. But hey, if I can do it, so can you. :)

I wouldn't even bother asking your mum - the CI website is a wealth of information on these sort of things. A quick look there and you'll be sorted.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

People on DA are eligible for BTEA. And Rent supplement - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html your upper limit is €475 but it was increased a day or two ago I think by €50.

Well, Marty decided 'Fcuk being sick,' and went out. He had sent me a text, which I responded to, and two minutes later, he rang me from whatever club he's in, music blaring, shouting at me to wake up because he's drunk. :pac:

He'll end up calling me after, saying he wants to come get a hug from me. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Marty's a real scamp when he goes out :P

Angron wrote: »
    Marty's a real scamp when he goes out :P

I just don't get how he thought I was asleep, considering I had responded to a text from him no more than 2 minutes prior to the call. :pac: Stupid drunk people. :pac:

I'm so chilled out tonight. I still haven't had a day off from work in a week, but I'm not in til 2 tomorrow, so I've been able to relax all evening, instead of having to go almost straight to bed. :)

I've music on, and boards, while I lie in a massive double bed with loads of pillows and silk sheets. What's there not to like about tonight? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Time flows differently when you're drunk :D I was just playing some Batman Arkham Asylum, it's a pretty good game, though I'm still early enough into the game.

Time flows differently when you're drunk :D I was just playing some Batman Arkham Asylum, it's a pretty good game, though I'm still early enough into the game.

I played that when it first came out. Wouldn't be much of a gamer personally, but I quite liked it. :)

• Advertisement

I'm just on the Scarecrow parts now, with his nightmare gas. I wound up getting the two Arkham games for like a tenner in a recent sale on steam

I'm just on the Scarecrow parts now, with his nightmare gas. I wound up getting the two Arkham games for like a tenner in a recent sale on steam

Noiiiiiiiiice. I paid somewhere around the region of seventy euro for it when it first came out. :( Traded it in like a week later for 35 euro though. :D

Yeah, sounds about right. I haven't bought a console game in a few months, last one was a Ratchet and Clank collection for the PS3

I think the last one I bought was actually Arkham Asylum! >.< I don't game much. :pac:

I have too many games on my PC, I blame the steam sales :P good part, everything's on sale. Bad part, everything's so cheap you beat the hell out of your wallet :pac:

Not my usual type of music, but I loooooooooooove this song: :D

I'm listening to an audiobook, very exciting :P

I'm listening to an audiobook, very exciting :P

Better than me, I'm currently listening to Lonestar! :pac: :pac: :o

Had to look them up cause I had no idea who they are :pac: Looking forward to Dublin on Tuesday, hoping Slayer put on a good show.

• Advertisement

Had to look them up cause I had no idea who they are :pac: Looking forward to Dublin on Tuesday, hoping Slayer put on a good show.

Never been a massive Slayer fan tbh, but I've heard they're fantastic live, I'm sure you'll love it. :)

I'm a bloody alcoholic. I was trying to think of the name of a band I like (Beautiful South) to type into youtube to find a specific song I wanted to hear. Couldn't remember the band name, and just kept repeatedly writing 'Southern Comfort' into the search bar. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement