Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish flag.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    1. Completly irrelevent. SF have 220,000 first preference votes or 8.43% of the seats in the Dáil. They are fringe.
    2. Typical egocentric attitude from Northern Ireland. I'm not in favour of the North staying in the UK. I'm against them joining us because I don't believe it's in our best interest. Northern Ireland could be annexed by France for all I care.

1. When you are trying to claim Sinn Fein is a fringe party the amount of votes they get as a party is not only relevant, it's central to your claim.
    Even if one were to buy into your partitionist/unionist mentality, dismissing 220,000 people as an irrelevant fringe because you dont like them is similarly disgusting.

2. I want what's best for the country. Yes, totally egocentric. Like it or not the north is part of Ireland, you may be indifferent to Limerick or Mayo being annexed by a foreign power but thankfully you are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

1. When you are trying to claim Sinn Fein is a fringe party the amount of votes they get as a party is not only relevant, it's central to your claim.
    Even if one were to buy into your partitionist/unionist mentality, dismissing 220,000 people as an irrelevant fringe because you dont like them is similarly disgusting.

2. I want what's best for the country. Yes, totally egocentric. Like it or not the north is part of Ireland, you may be indifferent to Limerick or Mayo being annexed by a foreign power but thankfully you are in the minority.
    1. The number of votes Sinn Fein achieves in a foreign country is totally irrelvent to their status in the Republic. They have 14 seats in since the last election. Before that they had 5 and before that they had 1. Before that they had no seats at all. They capitalised off an economic crisis as would be expected of a fringe party but come the next election we will see the restoration of Fiana Fail* as the governing party and Sinn Fein back down to single figures.**
    2. I also want what's best for the country. That's why I oppose unification. The North is part of Ireland yes but Ireland is only a geographic term. Of course I wouldn't want Limerick or Mayo annexed by a foreign country, they are part of my country. Down and Antrim aren't.

A southern person who opposes unification with the North is not a unionist.

*Not what I want to see.
    **Ok to be honest I would enjoy seeing this.

1. The number of votes Sinn Fein achieves in a foreign country is totally irrelvent to their status in the Republic. They have 14 seats in since the last election. Before that they had 5 and before that they had 1. Before that they had no seats at all. They capitalised off an economic crisis as would be expected of a fringe party but come the next election we will see the restoration of Fiana Fail* as the governing party and Sinn Fein back down to single figures.**
    2. I also want what's best for the country. That's why I oppose unification. The North is part of Ireland yes but Ireland is only a geographic term. Of course I wouldn't want Limerick or Mayo annexed by a foreign country, they are part of my country. Down and Antrim aren't.

A southern person who opposes unification with the North is not a unionist.

*Not what I want to see.
    **Ok to be honest I would enjoy seeing this.

Spoken like a true unionist. Also, you are wrong in almost every imaginable way but I dont suppose we're going to sort this out on here.

Spoken like a true unionist. Also, you are wrong in almost every imaginable way but I dont suppose we're going to sort this out on here.
    Do you even know the definition of unionist?

Do you even know the definition of unionist?

i do. its right up there with your understanding of the term "fringe party"

• Advertisement

i do. its right up there with your understanding of the term "fringe party"
    That... doesn't even make sense.

Advertisement