Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish flag.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Thud wrote: »
    When't the last time anyone saw a harp (and cans of harp lager don't count)?
    I saw one last week!

I logged onto Boards and, after checking out the latest news from the Conspiracy Theory forum, I made my way to After Hours. For once there was no thread about the Irish flag, West Brits, the British Isles, the national anthem, united Ireland, Northern Ireland, Rory McIllroy or Ireland in WW2. I collapsed there and then of a heart attack, total shock!

As I floated up to heaven an angelic harp appeared in my hands. However, while strumming away I was hit by a bolt of lightening. It was God himself and he sentenced me to an eternity in Hell.

So here I am, back in After Hours and already threads on West Brits, Irish flags and Eire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

We should just burn all flags. How something can cause so much contention is beyond me. Retarded beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

It was designed before the Unionist exodus from the South.
    So much for creating a common space for green and orange !

We've abandoned the pretense of accommodating unionism..... and in fact the flag is just a reminder that the policy failed (probably for the best too).

an all green flag probably does make more sense alright.

We could change the name of the country to Libya II.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Could some one explain to how or why green came out to be the colour or Ireland?

I understand the green for catholic, and orange angle - but is there any association of green colour to Catholicism outside Ireland? If I remember correctly a lot of the robes in Rome are mostly white, tan red and plenty of gold and all that type of fancy stuff, although not as fancy as some Russian priests..

I see the 'Emerald Isle' angle, green rolling hills of Ireland, but there are plenty of green nations around the world, and more of then than not arid African nations seems to have more green in their flags rather than say other lush green countries.

In fact as far as I know, colour green is strongly associated with Islam around the world. Muslims in India tends to pain their homes green, and the logical (probably incorrect) conclusion that I had reached was that painting houses green appeals to an arid desert community where everything dull and dusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Them ones we had for the last World Cup with GUINNESS printed across them should be reinstated. Where's there's pints, there's peace (Paul Mc Cartney song if I'm not mistaken).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Jesus, it's just a flag.

You should say that to the average US citizen. You see the national flag flown everywhere!! They seem to take great pride to fly the flag everywhere they possibly can in the US.

positron wrote: »
    Could some one explain to how or why green came out to be the colour or Ireland?
    Shamrocks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Firefox11 wrote: »
    You should say that to the average US citizen. You see the national flag flown everywhere!! They seem to take great pride to fly the flag everywhere they possibly can in the US.

'Murica,fuck yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was designed before the Unionist exodus from the South.
    So much for creating a common space for green and orange !

We've abandoned the pretense of accommodating unionism..... and in fact the flag is just a reminder that the policy failed (probably for the best too).

an all green flag probably does make more sense alright.

Luuzers go 'ome!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Blue is Ireland's national colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Given the shenanigans up here over flags recently, I'd respectfully suggest you leave things alone!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You mean change it back to the original flag? Green flag with a harp isn't new by any means...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QGeGTinfCmQ/TYGiTQ0O3zI/AAAAAAAAEV0/u4z8hR-NAe8/s1600/erin-go-bragh-irish-american-civil-war-flag-1726-p.jpg

Titties ! Yay :)

Lapin wrote: »
    Titties ! Yay :)

We'd probably be the only country with diddies on the national flag. Make this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well seeing as people are saying blue is the national colour, and seeing as Boards.ie is Ireland, i have come up with a new flag for Ireland.

(I'ts missing an outline...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/ie_pres.gif

I like our original pre tricolour flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

Yis do know that the Tri Color was giving to us and designed by French sympitisers for our fight for independence from the British. Just another thing that is not Irish just like St Patrick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Believe it or not that flag is the coat of arms for the goverment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_arms_of_Ireland.svg

Whoever said the starry plough should be used obviously didn't release that the INLA used that flag for their logo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_National_Liberation_Army

Id just keep our current flag but maybe change the national anthem instead to something more welcoming to both sides of the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd like a red, white and blue flag with some criss-crossy patterns going on.
    That would probably look cool.

biko wrote: »
    I'd like a red, white and blue flag with some criss-crossy patterns going on.
    That would probably look cool.
    Racist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I don't think the flags needs changing at the moment but if we absolutely had to change the flag then I think we should go for a design with the crests of the four provinces. The harp and the red-hand should keep most people on this little island happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    So just because some ape goes on a stupid rant about a flag you must assume he is in Sinn Féin? So by your logic Willie Frazer and the 'fleg' protestors or your stereotypical chest thumping American are shinners?

You are daft.

So I'm an ape because I take pride in a symbol for my country?

Are you also assuming I'm a supporter of sinn fein because I take pride in my country?
    And to the other idiot don't address me as a shinner
    Sinn fein supporter if you want but a shinner
    That's just being a yuppie retard thinking your high and mighty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I don't think the flags needs changing at the moment but if we absolutely had to change the flag then I think we should go for a design with the crests of the four provinces. The harp and the red-hand should keep most people on this little island happy!

Like this one?
    http://www.irishnation.com/images/fourprovincesofirelandflag.gif

Chucken wrote: »

Something like that one, but a little more artistic and not looking like someone just copied and pasted all the provincial flags into one image!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I thought of that but it may be too complicated,flags generally are a very simple design.

kneemos wrote: »
    I thought of that but it may be too complicated,flags generally are a very simple design.

I know, it's hard to get the balance right. Colonel Gadaffi had the right idea when he made the Libyan flag all green!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's used as Ireland's coat of arms and the Presidential Standard.

I think it's flown at Áras an Uachtaráin.

Also, a harp on green is the flag of Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you can't change the flag... think about all the knackers that'll need new tattoos!

smash wrote: »
    you can't change the flag... think about all the knackers that'll need new tattoos!

harps make great tattoos, plus it would be a boost to the industry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bambi wrote: »
    harps make great tattoos, plus it would be a boost to the industry
    And we could lace the ink with some chemical to make them sterile! It's genius!

Advertisement