Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish flag.

Options
  • 09-05-2013 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭

Should we change the Irish flag now we have peace in the north,maybe an all green job with a harp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yet another Irish flag thread......starting to get sleepy now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

You mean change it back to the original flag? Green flag with a harp isn't new by any means...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QGeGTinfCmQ/TYGiTQ0O3zI/AAAAAAAAEV0/u4z8hR-NAe8/s1600/erin-go-bragh-irish-american-civil-war-flag-1726-p.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

kneemos wrote: »
    Should we change the Irish flag now we have peace in the north,maybe an all green job with a harp?

Already on the design boss...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Naval_Jack_of_Ireland.svg/450px-Naval_Jack_of_Ireland.svg.png

What ya think? Not green enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

tdv123 wrote: »

A flag for tourists innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Why? Tbh I like what the current one stands for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I don't get it. What does "peace" (a loose interpretation of the word BTW!) in the six counties ever have to do with our flag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I don't get it. What does "peace" (a loose interpretation of the word BTW!) in the six counties ever have to do with our flag?
    It was designed before the Unionist exodus from the South.
    So much for creating a common space for green and orange !

We've abandoned the pretense of accommodating unionism..... and in fact the flag is just a reminder that the policy failed (probably for the best too).

an all green flag probably does make more sense alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I think the green represents Ireland, the Orange represents the North, and the white represents peace between the 2. I would have gone with a dove in between an pint of Guinness and a Flute but I wasn't there when they picked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

No, it would only give in to those bastards from hell in the Ivory Coast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Youse Irish couldnay agree on tha colloura shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

its a flag who gives a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

IM0 wrote: »
    its a flag who gives a ****

I do!!
    It's a symbol of our country ( Ireland)
    You don't like it?
    Get the fcuk out and go to a different country to pi55 and moan about why they shouldn't have a flag

Some people in this country really fcukin bugg me
    If you hate your country get the fcuk out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It should be blue, the national colour

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I do!!
    You don't like it?
    Get the fcuk out and go to a different country to pi55 and moan about why they shouldn't have a flag

Jesus, it's just a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Should go full Gaddafi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

is often a feature at concerts abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

The green represents the Gaelic tradition of Ireland, orange represents the followers of William of Orange in Ireland

To simplify in other words, the green stands for catholics, the orange stands for protestants and the white means peace between them both.

So why would you want to change the flag because of peace in the north when the flag stands for peace already? :confused:

armaghbhoy wrote: »
    The green represents the Gaelic tradition of Ireland, orange represents the followers of William of Orange in Ireland

To simplify in other words, the green stands for catholics, the orange stands for protestants and the white means peace between them both.

So why would you want to change the flag because of peace in the north when the flag stands for peace already? :confused:

Depends how you look at it,you could say it stands for conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I do!!
    You don't like it?

wtf are you on about. liking your country [me] is not akin to being irrational and nationalistic [you]

Im quessing your a shinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

We should have one with yellow and purple polkadots on it. Against a brown background.

It wouldn't represent any 'tradition'. Only good times and laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

I would like something a bit more irish , mayby two guys drinking guinness, arguing over the price of petrol, set against the backdrop of the cliffs of moher, throw in a few harps and people doing riverdance then and your on to a winner, but mayby thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Peace in the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I vote for change. The Ivory Coast flag is the model we should go for.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/flags/cote-dlvorie-flag.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

IM0 wrote: »
    wtf are you on about. liking your country [me] is not akin to being irrational and nationalistic [you]

Im quessing your a shinner

So just because some ape goes on a stupid rant about a flag you must assume he is in Sinn Féin? So by your logic Willie Frazer and the 'fleg' protestors or your stereotypical chest thumping American are shinners?

You are daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

A field of green with a sky of grey, with the pasty white silhouette of a dole queue through the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Pirate flag!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I do!!
    You don't like it?

do you sing the national anthem every morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Thud

When't the last time anyone saw a harp (and cans of harp lager don't count)?

Advertisement