Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish flag.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

LordSutch wrote: »
    Obviously the Tricolour will never fly with the Unionist community, same goes for the Union flag with Nationalist Ireland, so how about a compromise between the two flags? Take the the Tricolour [Green White Orange] and insert the St Patrick Cross into the White third of the flag, therby inserting the Unionist "Irish" part of the Union flag into the Tricolour, ergo everbodys represented, and everybodys happy :))

Sounds good to me.

LOOKS GOOD TOO.

There is no such thing as a 'Saint Patricks Cross' - It's just another British invention - that is the only reason why the COI flies it:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    Sunburst Flag

Sunburst on the Irish flag???

Fckung shower of rain and a late bus maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    No, neither of them, I'm talking more about the grass roots supporters not the party elite.

More insulting, condascending guff.
    8.4% is fringe. :confused:

....according to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Madam wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a 'Saint Patricks Cross' - It's just another British invention -

All flags are inventions.
    Madam wrote: »
    that is the only reason why the COI flies it:P

Used to . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Curious asdfg!, what do you think of my flag suggestion in post#64.

Sutch, You should really insert Hyperlinks when you're doing call backs to old posts.

I always end up having to look through your history just to find what exactly you posted.

• Advertisement

Sorry 'Sound of Silence' Hope this helps > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84532782&postcount=64

By the way, I'm not sure what to make of your last (cryptic) post#145, but I thanked you anyway :))

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nodin wrote: »
    More insulting, condascending guff.

....according to you.
    It's not either of those things.

Yes according to me. They have 14 out of 166 seats in the Dail. (14/166)*100=8.43%

Sorry 'Sound of Silence' Hope this helps > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84532782&postcount=64

By the way, I'm not sure what to make of your last (cryptic) post#145, but I thanked you anyway :))

I always try to be as cryptic as possible. Speaking matter of factly tends to attract the ban hammer :D

A quick summary of the post: I was just momentarily surprised by the apparent willingness of some of our Unionist posters to create an all inclusive flag in the Republic, seeing that these very same people are generally closed to any kind of input on the flag issue in the North.

The general attitude being: you live in the UK, deal with it.

The opening analogy was just my declaration of the fact that I shouldn't be surprised at what I find in the thread, and that this type of posturing was just par for the course for these type of threads - You know, the endless rhetoric and oxymoronical statements from both sides.

Yes according to me. They have 14 out of 166 seats in the Dail. (14/166)*100=8.43%
    I don't think anybody is disputing basic multiplication.

Most people would consider fringe parties to be those who have 1 or 2 TDs maximum; maybe less. An example might be the South Kerry Independent Alliance of the ICSP.

A party who racked up 220,000 votes,being the 4th biggest party in the State, would not fit everybody's definition of "fringe".

Minor, maybe, but not fringe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 The True Puka

Absolutely.

I think we should adopt the St. Patricks Saltire as the flag. In the event of reunification it would be wholly unacceptable to protestants to have to live under a flag that has to them symbolised terror and strife for the last 50 years.
    I also feel that in general the tri-colour has so many negative connotations these days that it is undesirable in any case.

The St Particks Saltire would be a relatively neutral one that both catholics and protestants could accept and might be well fitting for a situation where Ireland resumes it's place in the commonwealth.

Same can be said for the anthem. AnaBh would be absolutely abhorrent to protestants and I dislike it also as it glorifies terrorism and violence. That's not something I want to see being sang. Something else please.

Superimposing a St. particks cross onto the white band in the tricolour would be daft as fúck. For starters it would put it all out of proportion.

How about a St Patricks Saltire with a harp superimposed on the center crossing. A it like the way the red hand is superimposed on the ulster banner. (obviously the harp would have to be the uncrowned version, as we are no longer in the UK)
    Surely that would be accpeptable to all but the most hard liner Ra heads.

• Advertisement

I don't think anybody is disputing basic multiplication.

Most people would consider fringe parties to be those who have 1 or 2 TDs maximum; maybe less. An example might be the South Kerry Independent Alliance of the ICSP.

A party who racked up 220,000 votes,being the 4th biggest party in the State, would not fit everybody's definition of "fringe".

Minor, maybe, but not fringe.
    If they stay where they are after the next election or even gain upon it I'd agree with you but I have a very strong feeling SF's 9 seat gain from the last election is only temporary. Much like FFs fall.

Superimposing a St. particks cross onto the white band in the tricolour would be daft as fúck. For starters it would put it all out of proportion.

Its all about symbolism though, the addition of the Cross of St Partick into a new All Ireland flag (whilst being dropped from the Union flag) would spell the inclusion of Unionism into the Tricolour, whch already displays the Orange tradition! Can't see the Irish flag changing for any other reason than some kind of new relationship with NI, in which case I guess they would insist on a new flag, and a new anthem for that matter.

Its all hypothetical anyway, and currently there doesn't seem to be any appetite for Northern Ireland to leave the UK and unite with the Republic.

If it ever happens, it will be a flag makers dream come true!

I'm "grassroots". Am I a 'nutter'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

But where's the Unionist identity?

At least in my version the Green White & Orange are still intect, with the addition of a Unionist symbol.

The original four provinces flag should suffice, if not the Ulster provincial flag could be modified to include the Unionist identity and then include it in the four provinces flag to represent both nationalist and unionist heritage. For example St. Patrick's Saltire in the Ulster Flag.

No, neither of them, I'm talking more about the grass roots supporters not the party elite.

And what do you think Pearse Doherty and Eoin Ó Broin were before? They started off as grassroots supporters....

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm "grassroots". Am I a 'nutter'?
    Maybe, I only know you from the internet. But you have to understand the difference between saying "all SF supporters are nutters" and "SF attracts more then it's fair share of nutters."

That's not even a criticism of SF, fringe parties in general attract more nutters then the mainstream.
    OCorcrainn wrote: »
    And what do you think Pearse Doherty and Eoin Ó Broin were before? They started off as grassroots supporters....
    See above.

Maybe, I only know you from the internet. But you have to understand the difference between saying "all SF supporters are nutters" and "SF attracts more then it's fair share of nutters".

Well, as you seem unable to back up that statement, it strikes me as being nothing more than abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 The True Puka

The four province flag is unsuitable as it is too detailed. It just wouldn't look well. The provinces have no administrative or official function anyway to it would be meaningless.

There is nothing wrong with the st. particks saltire with a harp emblazoned in the centre. The St. particks flag represented IReland for much longer than the tricolour was around. It represents both catholic and protestant.

Or we could just do a lazy cop out and do a map flag with the outline of Ireland superimposed on a white background. Like the Korea Olympic flag or cypris

Its all about symbolism though, the addition of the Cross of St Partick into a new All Ireland flag (whilst being dropped from the Union flag) would spell the inclusion of Unionism into the Tricolour, whch already displays the Orange tradition! Can't see the Irish flag changing for any other reason than some kind of new relationship with NI
    eh... yeh except the new relationship many people seem to be advocating is having nothing to do with them.

Personally I agree with changing the flag - be that to an all green one, or any other flag which does not seek to be inclusive of an entirely irrelevant Unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The four province flag is unsuitable as it is too detailed. It just wouldn't look well. The provinces have no administrative or official function anyway to it would be meaningless.

There is nothing wrong with the st. particks saltire with a harp emblazoned in the centre. The St. particks flag represented IReland for much longer than the tricolour was around. It represents both catholic and protestant.

Or we could just do a lazy cop out and do a map flag with the outline of Ireland superimposed on a white background. Like the Korea Olympic flag or cypris

I don't really see how a saltire represents anybody in Ireland today, to be honest.

• Advertisement

The provinces have no administrative or official function anyway to it would be meaningless.

The flags of the provinces are centuries old going back to when they were the coat of arms of each of the provinces of all Ireland, it is a neutral flag that both unionists and nationalists would likely be more in favor of, although I'm well aware that not everyone would be. The fact that the provinces have what you described as being without administrative or official functions is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Well Jesus, I'm sorry if I'm not mature enough for ya Jack.

You'll get there in the end.
    8.4% is fringe. :confused:

It's actually pretty disgusting that you would dismiss the views of 400,000 people because you disagree with them. Then again, unionists have always had a, ahem, unique view of what exactly constituted democracy.

I don't really see how a saltire represents anybody in Ireland today, to be honest.

we like salt. and ire.

Absolutely.

I think we should adopt the St. Patricks Saltire as the flag. In the event of reunification it would be wholly unacceptable to protestants to have to live under a flag that has to them symbolised terror and strife for the last 50 years.
    I also feel that in general the tri-colour has so many negative connotations these days that it is undesirable in any case.

The St Particks Saltire would be a relatively neutral one that both catholics and protestants could accept and might be well fitting for a situation where Ireland resumes it's place in the commonwealth.

The St. Patricks Saltire is in no way a neutral symbol.

If it's true neutrality you're looking for, I would have to argue that it's not exactly a great idea to pick a symbol that currently occupies a place in the Union Flag (Not to mentions it's affiliation with the Blueshirts and the Reform Movement), then stick that very same symbol on a flagpole with, well, nothing else.

It's like sticking up the Ulster Banner in Northern Ireland and expecting the Nationalist population to embrace it simply because it's not the Union Flag. But it may as well be. This would pretty much be the case for everyone, bar some of the South's Unionist Community.

I wouldn't even be responding to your post if it wasn't for your claims of neutrality. True neutrality will only ever be the absence of symbols.

It's actually pretty disgusting that you would dismiss the views of 400,000 people because you disagree with them. Then again, unionists have always had a, ahem, unique view of what exactly constituted democracy.
    1. Where are you getting 400,00 from? Wikipedia puts first preference votes at 220,661.
    2. I'm not a unionist

1. Where are you getting 400,00 from? Wikipedia puts first preference votes at 220,661.
    2. I'm not a unionist

1. Sinn Fein is an all Ireland party. There's another 180,000 in the rest of Ireland.
    2. You are quite clearly in favour of the union. You are a unionist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭Bertie Woot

As many English to this day, and for self entertainment purposes, insist on sustaining the Irish national stereotypes of Irish people being "thick paddies", "alcoholics" and "terrorists", how about a flag which incorporates all three; a thick Paddy with a pint of Guinness in one hand and an AK47 assault rifle in the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

we like salt. and ire.

Ooh. That sounds kind of Game of Thronesy, I could go for that.

1. Sinn Fein is an all Ireland party. There's another 180,000 in the rest of Ireland.
    2. You are quite clearly in favour of the union. You are a unionist.
    1. Completly irrelevent. SF have 220,000 first preference votes or 8.43% of the seats in the Dáil. They are fringe.
    2. Typical egocentric attitude from Northern Ireland. I'm not in favour of the North staying in the UK. I'm against them joining us because I don't believe it's in our best interest. Northern Ireland could be annexed by France for all I care.

• Advertisement

Ooh. That sounds kind of Game of Thronesy, I could go for that.
    Is he a ham?

Advertisement