Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi rank - bumper to bumper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So if i get into a taxi that is blocked into the rank as described in the pictures and the driver can't exit the rank what is the story then? I can tell you if a taxi driver was unable to get away from the rank immediately for me I'd be contacting the regulator with the drivers details and making a complaint!

Why would you get in a taxi that is blocked in the first place? It doesnt make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Simple answer.. Show the legislation, thus far there is no evidence of ANY legislation to NOT allow vehicles on a taxi rank to leave a gap between the front and rear.

As to PARKING spaces then yeah there is a requirement that the whole of the vehicle be contained within the designated space and (usually) there would be a marked gap between every set of 2 spaces which would not qualify as part of the parking space

!___!___!X!___!___!X!___!___!

But we're not talking PARKING spaces, we're talking about a taxi rank where the driver is required to remain with the vehicle ( Actual part of the byelaws )

I don't need to show you the legislation, we all KNOW obstructing the highway is an offence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

corktina wrote: »
    I don't need to show you the legislation, we all KNOW obstructing the highway is an offence

If you were blocking it here, where the diagonal line is, then yes
    4tay6b.jpg
    but there ARE NOT ANY designated spaces on a rank, it's that simple

no but obstructing the highway is an offense and those taxis are obstructing anyone in a wheelchair, with a pram or making deliveries.

How are they obstructing the highway? They are in a taxi rank. There is a pedestrian crossing at the top of that rank and the taxi rank is not a place to cross especially with a pram or in a wheelchair or on foot , it would be a bit foolish to do so. Who would be making deliveries to a taxi rank? Mcdonalds?

not all traffic is motor vehicles,not all traffic goes along the road, much of it goes at right angles to it,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Why would you get in a taxi that is blocked in the first place? It doesnt make any sense.
    Because it is supposed to be "plying for hire" but this can't be the case if the driver can't physically leave the rank! a requirement of remaining on any rank is that the taxi is available for hire so any that are unable to drive away from the rank are not plying for hire and thus breaking the bye-laws.

not all traffic is motor vehicles,not all traffic goes along the road, much of it goes at right angles to it,

What????????

Point being Cork is that there wont be any traffic using the taxi rank apart from the taxi's, so how are taxi's in a taxi rank obstructing anything?

Because it is supposed to be "plying for hire" but this can't be the case if the driver can't physically leave the rank! a requirement of remaining on any rank is that the taxi is available for hire so any that are unable to drive away from the rank are not plying for hire and thus breaking the bye-laws.

To be fair Foggy, thats just scrapping the barrel just for arguments sake.

They are plying for hire and they are available, just not to your liking that they'd need to do some shuffling ( probably very reluctantly and probably not safely on a major road ) to facilitate a request from someone who wants to enforce his right to take any taxi.

The crux of the question AGAIN is are there more than 11 taxis on the rank? There are several ranks where to fit the designated number of vehicles on would need them to be closely nose to tail

What????????

Point being Cork is that there wont be any traffic using the taxi rank apart from the taxi's, so how are taxi's in a taxi rank obstructing anything?

I don't know how to explain this any clearer, i know I'll shout....PEDESTRIANS ARE TRAFFIC, THEY ARE ENTITLED TO PASS BETWEEN THE TAXIS.....

• Advertisement

I don't know how to explain this any clearer, i know I'll shout....PEDESTRIANS ARE TRAFFIC, THEY ARE ENTITLED TO PASS BETWEEN THE TAXIS.....

You will have to provide something other than saying you have the right, as stated ( several times ) taxi ranks are not parking spaces, do they need to squash up that close to get 11 vehicles on, the googlemaps photo of 10 cars on the rank would suggest that they do, if so then they are DOING NOTHING wrong. You have NO ENTITLEMENT to pass between vehicles do you think you have an entitlement to pass between the red and silver cars in this photo?
    4tay6b.jpg

NO THEY ARE NOT. Thats what the pedestrian crossings are for near that rank . Are you seriously suggesting that there should be enough room for someone with a pram or a wheelchair to foolishly cross over a busy road inbetween parked cars and put themselves and oncoming traffic in danger?

All modes of use of the roads are Road-users, they are all traffic....

as i have said before, I am talking generally about parking like that, and there are many places where there are no crossing facilities...and in any case there is no compulsion to use a crossing and all pedestrians are free to cross wherever they chose.

You will have to provide something other than saying you have the right, as stated ( several times ) taxi ranks are not parking spaces, do they need to squash up that close to get 11 vehicles on, the googlemaps photo of 10 cars on the rank would suggest that they do, if so then they are DOING NOTHING wrong. You have NO ENTITLEMENT to pass between vehicles do you think you have an entitlement to pass between the red and silver cars in this photo?
    i43.tinpg

whats parking spaces got to do with it? if they don't leave room for the free passage of pedestrians they are obstructing the highway. OF COURSE you have an entitlement to cross the road unimpeded.

All modes of use of the roads are Road-users, they are all traffic....

as i have said before, I am talking generally about parking like that, and there are many places where there are no crossing facilities...and in any case there is no compulsion to use a crossing and all pedestrians are free to cross wherever they chose.

Pedestrians are free to use a bit of common sense when crossing the road. Its not like the taxi's are 100 metres long and pedestrians having to take a detour to cross a road. Taxi's in a taxi rank are obstructing nothing .

whats parking spaces got to do with it? if they don't leave room for the free passage of pedestrians they are obstructing the highway. OF COURSE you have an entitlement to cross the road unimpeded.

Its unwise to cross between parked cars .

11 taxis is quite a lot to walk around if you are a bit unsteady on your pins....

well then you'd probably never get to cross anywhere, what a silly thing to say! (Btw apparently they aren't parked...can't be if they aren't parking spaces....

According to your rationale then the two cars are impeding you from crossing the road because there isn't any space between them! However they are legitimately parked within the boundaries designated by the white lines on the road and if not within the white lines then they could be served with an infringement notice, now go take a look at a taxi rank and look at the white lines on it, do you see the difference yet!

Yes that's right the taxi rank does not have markings other than at the start and end of it, the vehicles are therefore allowed to station themselves anywhere within that marked zone and if to get 11 vehicles on means they have to be within inches of each other then that's the way it is....It still doesn't make it ILLEGAL

well then you'd probably never get to cross anywhere, what a silly thing to say! (Btw apparently they aren't parked...can't be if they aren't parking spaces....

It's even more unwise to cross between working vehicles that may be required to move off to facilitate impatient foggys that would report the driver for not running you over because they were paying for the time to wait for you to get out of the way!

It's simple, doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's NOT ILLEGAL to put taxis on a rank within inches of each other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Start in the middle of the queue and try and negotiate a price...

My mate lives out in the sticks and normally a taxi home is €20, he'll try to get someone to do it for €10-12, normally the lad towards the end of the queue is more than willing to better any of the other drivers ahead of him.

My brother once negotiated with a driver to drop himself, me and his mate all home(3 different locations) for €12, as he was dropping the last guy off the meter was reading €26.5, wasn't a very happy driver, who then tried to not honor the deal, but that didn't happen, and we all got home on the cheap:p

whatever you may say it's obstruction,and obstruction is illegal.we aren't talking about two cars within inches of each other we are talking 10 or 11....more in some places no doubt.I doubt anyone would ever be prosecuted for it, but it doesn't alter the fact it is not legal to obstruct the highway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Guys, lay off the sharpness, please.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The few times I am foreced to use O'Connal Street rank I will ALWAYS pick a taxi thats not at the front as the drivers on that rank are the biggest f****** W****** in the industry.
    Less with the inflammatory language please.
    Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Then just like your avatar, you'll look like a muppet for choosing to get into a vehicle that's unable to move.
    Careful now

Why, you want to jay walk across the road do you? There is no need for pedestrian access at that stretch unless you are intending on jaywalking rather than using the crossing

Whatever happened to the jaywalking crackdown?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056770140
    Only an offence within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing.

Parking bumper to bumper could constitute obstructing the road to people wishing to use the taxi in front of you. What of people wishing to use the boot or enter the left hand side of the taxi in front? Or a pedal cyclist wishing to enter traffic? Or someone wanting to cross the road to avoid the fight at the head of the queue?
    Not blocked in, but what if the first wheelchair accessible taxi was number 5 in the queue and you had (a) a wheelchair or (b) more than 4 passengers or (c) a bicycle with a puncture or other large luggage item?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Recently I got into a waiting taxi only to be told to go to the front of the line. What is the correct response to say to the taxi driver to apply my rights to choose?

Ie. I can refuse to use the first taxi but what if they insist they stick to their rules...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Recently I got into a waiting taxi only to be told to go to the front of the line. What is the correct response to say to the taxi driver to apply my rights to choose?

Ie. I can refuse to use the first taxi but what if they insist they stick to their rules...

If any driver refuses to take you then you get their details and report them to the regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

who cares? i'm more interested in whether i can get my bike between two 'not parked' cabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If any driver refuses to take you then you get their details and report them to the regulator.

I did this, never got a response from them.

Victor wrote: »
    <snipped>

Only an offence within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing.

Parking bumper to bumper could constitute obstructing the road to people wishing to use the taxi in front of you. What of people wishing to use the boot or enter the left hand side of the taxi in front? Or a pedal cyclist wishing to enter traffic? Or someone wanting to cross the road to avoid the fight at the head of the queue?

Not blocked in, but what if the first wheelchair accessible taxi was number 5 in the queue and you had (a) a wheelchair or (b) more than 4 passengers or (c) a bicycle with a puncture or other large luggage item?

The back of the rank is within 15 meters of the crossing. EDIT sorry 22 meters see following post

People wishing to place items in the boot are afforded reasonable assistance by the driver to accomplish this task ( supposed to anyway )

Pedal cyclist shouldn't be on the footpath trying to get onto the road

There's no fight at the front, the fight is with Foggy in the middle and Corktina trying to Jaywalk

WAT are accessible ( correction were ) from either side door, recent changes have allowed for rear access for wheelchairs and only one wheelchair accessible door, sense would be that the door should be on the kerbside of the vehicle but as in several cases the rank is on the wrong side of the road to facilitate this.

Best work practices suggest that passengers enter and leave a vehicle on the kerbside, in fact a driver permitting a passenger to open a door into the path of traffic does put themselves at risk of litigation if an accident is caused by a passenger opening a door into traffic

From the DCC bye laws relating specifically to Aston Quay.

Aston Quay

On the north side of the
    roadway in an indented bay from a point 75 metres west of
    the western kerb on O’Connell bridge
    Extending eastwards to a point 22 meters from
    this kerb

no of spaces 11

So we have an allocated space of 75-22 meters = 53 meters for 11 vehicles

Given that the following are the vehicles specifications according to wikipedia

Avenisis 2003-2008 length 4.645 meters
    Avensis 2008 - present length 4.695 meters
    Mondeo 3rd gen 2000 - 2007 length 4.731 meters
    Mondeo 4th Gen 2008-2013 length 4.844 meters

Therefore taking the shortest vehicle the 2003-2008 Avensis the length of 11 of them is

11 x 4.645 meters = 51.095 meters

subtracted from the allocated space of 53 meters

53-51.095=1.905 meters TOTAL space to be allocated between the 11 vehicles.....

Discounting the front of the first vehicle and the rear of the last vehicle gives you a space of 0.1905 meters between the vehicles or less than 20 cm for those of you not into decimals

Now if you still want, go take it up with DCC

And also it still isn't illegal and it's not obstructing traffic because it's not a part of the carriage way it's a TAXI RANK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People wishing to place items in the boot are afforded reasonable assistance by the driver to accomplish this task ( supposed to anyway )
    But if it's a large pram or something, it would be difficult to manipulate into the boot without space.
    Pedal cyclist shouldn't be on the footpath trying to get onto the road
    Why not? Are cyclists not allowed pull away from stopped?
    Best work practices suggest that passengers enter and leave a vehicle on the kerbside, in fact a driver permitting a passenger to open a door into the path of traffic does put themselves at risk of litigation if an accident is caused by a passenger opening a door into traffic
    So, at this location, how are passengers meant to use the front left hand side door?
    And also it still isn't illegal and it's not obstructing traffic because it's not a part of the carriage way it's a TAXI RANK
    Getting(!) off-topic, but carriageway is from kerb to kerb. However, the offence is to obstruct a road - which is from boundary to boundary.

Advertisement