Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi rank - bumper to bumper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Victor wrote: »
    But if it's a large pram or something, it would be difficult to manipulate into the boot without space.

Why not? Are cyclists not allowed pull away from stopped?

So, at this location, how are passengers meant to use the front left hand side door?

Getting(!) off-topic, but carriageway is from kerb to kerb. However, teh offence is to obstruct a road - which is from boundary to boundary.

Life is full of little problems it's what makes life life, like having forgotten to legislate against left hand drive taxis :)

Why would a cyclist be starting from the passenger side of a rank? to do so would entail him being on the footpath, presumably he pushed his bike to this point would he not have mounted the bike prior to the rank or push it further to the end of the rank

Very carefully lest they get hit by an infuriated taxi driver that has been told "You must take me" by Foggy

But the rank isn't a part of the road as stated in the bye laws
    On the north side of the roadway in an indented bay

None of which answer the question of the council see fit to allocate circa. 19cm of space between the vehicles, people have a problem with it, then they should ask the council rather than spout off about the illegality of it...Which reminds me, still haven't seen an SI mentioning it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Have to love Aston Quay!

When it's busy in the evenings a taxi might pull along side it, throw on the "park anywhere" lights and wait for a space.

Lights turn green other side of O'Connell Bridge, the traffic comes thundering down the quays and one lane has to slow down...taxi in the way.

And if you're a pedestrian waiting to cross the road you may find a taxi reversing up onto the footpath so they can hang off the back of the rank.

Became a game of dare as the taximan looks at you in the rear view mirror and you look back, I ain't moving!

That 30km sign that is there now on the footpath largely solved that.

Crazy place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Life is full of little problems it's what makes life life, like having forgotten to legislate against left hand drive taxis :)

Why would a cyclist be starting from the passenger side of a rank? to do so would entail him being on the footpath, presumably he pushed his bike to this point would he not have mounted the bike prior to the rank or push it further to the end of the rank

Very carefully lest they get hit by an infuriated taxi driver that has been told "You must take me" by Foggy

But the rank isn't a part of the road as stated in the bye laws

None of which answer the question of the council see fit to allocate circa. 19cm of space between the vehicles, people have a problem with it, then they should ask the council rather than spout off about the illegality of it...Which reminds me, still haven't seen an SI mentioning it!

whether or not you can fit 11 taxis in is between the taxi industry and the Council. It is not any reason to block access to pedestrians/disabled/the elderley/pram pushers/cyclists etc.

Again I'll point out I'm not talking about any particular road, I'm talking in general, any road, any type of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

corktina wrote: »
    11 taxis is quite a lot to walk around if you are a bit unsteady on your pins....

How would they have got to the rank in the first place?

well then you'd probably never get to cross anywhere, what a silly thing to say! (Btw apparently they aren't parked...can't be if they aren't parking spaces....

Ever heard of pedestrian crossings?

• Advertisement

whatever you may say it's obstruction,and obstruction is illegal.we aren't talking about two cars within inches of each other we are talking 10 or 11....more in some places no doubt.I doubt anyone would ever be prosecuted for it, but it doesn't alter the fact it is not legal to obstruct the highway.

They would only be obstructing the highway if they were sticking out onto the road and cars had to move around them.

Recently I got into a waiting taxi only to be told to go to the front of the line. What is the correct response to say to the taxi driver to apply my rights to choose?

Ie. I can refuse to use the first taxi but what if they insist they stick to their rules...

If they wont let you take the taxi of your choice then go to a different rank or flag one down.

whether or not you can fit 11 taxis in is between the taxi industry and the Council. It is not any reason to block access to pedestrians/disabled/the elderley/pram pushers/cyclists etc.

Again I'll point out I'm not talking about any particular road, I'm talking in general, any road, any type of vehicle.

They are not blocking any access Tina. A taxi rank full of taxis is NOT an access point in the same way as a bus stop full of buses isnt.
    To cross the a road safely you use a designated crossing point which a taxi rank isnt.

ANY vehicles I said...not just taxis...could be dustbins even.. Can you understand the priniciple that every road user is not necessarily a vehicle? They are blocking access from one side of the road to the other.

ANY vehicles I said...not just taxis...could be dustbins even.. Can you understand the priniciple that every road user is not necessarily a vehicle? They are blocking access from one side of the road to the other.

ONLY IF IT WAS A DESIGNATED CROSSING POINT AND NOT A LEGAL TAXI RANK .

• Advertisement

that's is nonsense, there is no law to say you can't cross at a taxi rank and as I've said before ad nauseum, what if you are unsteady on your pins, on crutches or in a wheelchair and can't divert around 11 vehicles parked nose to tail. It's obstruction plain and simple, what ever it is that is stopping the passage of road users...and there are many many ,many places with no designated crossing places, and ever if there is, there is no law to say you must use it (except apparently witihn 15 metres (or 3 car lengths) I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_crossing-the-road.html

Note that it says "Don’t cross near or at parked vehicles.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

You can you have the right to choose the service you want to avail of, however some taxis won't take you if their is another one in front.

that's is nonsense, there is no law to say you can't cross at a taxi rank and as I've said before ad nauseum, what if you are unsteady on your pins, on crutches or in a wheelchair and can't divert around 11 vehicles parked nose to tail. It's obstruction plain and simple, what ever it is that is stopping the passage of road users...and there are many many ,many places with no designated crossing places, and ever if there is, there is no law to say you must use it (except apparently witihn 15 metres (or 3 car lengths) I'm told.

It would be obstruction if they hadnt a right to stop there in the first place.

How did they get there in the first place? Regardless of what condition they are in, its still an unsafe place to cross. Its just clutching at straws at this stage tina.

ROTR are advice , not the law. Common sense says you wouldn't cross near parked cars (not that these taxis are parked of course...) but in most urban situations, you don't have a choice.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It would be obstruction if they hadnt a right to stop there in the first place.

How did they get there in the first place? Regardless of what condition they are in, its still an unsafe place to cross. Its just clutching at straws at this stage tina.

No Sir, 'tis you clutching at straws! My arguement has been the same from the start...
    it doesn't matter what you say, if they are parked so close together that they impede other road users (ie pedestrians et al) it's obstruction. They have a right to stop there, they don't have a an exclusive right to impede others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Have to love Aston Quay!

When it's busy in the evenings a taxi might pull along side it, throw on the "park anywhere" lights and wait for a space.

Lights turn green other side of O'Connell Bridge, the traffic comes thundering down the quays and one lane has to slow down...taxi in the way.

And if you're a pedestrian waiting to cross the road you may find a taxi reversing up onto the footpath so they can hang off the back of the rank.

Became a game of dare as the taximan looks at you in the rear view mirror and you look back, I ain't moving!

That 30km sign that is there now on the footpath largely solved that.

Crazy place :pac:

Surely not ?

I am quite certain that An Garda Siochana would take a very firm no-nonsense approach to the blocking of a major National Route in this manner....;)....would'nt they....:confused:

Mind you,removing the thundering fleets of 40 Tonne Artics from the Quays did kinda give these twits an inflated sense of indestructability...
    ....there was nothing like a line of Left-Hand Drive Eastern European trucks piloted by drivers all mad keen to get to the N7 to concentrate the mind of Tommy Taxidriver with the arse of his Avensis stickin out inviting a smack.....:o

Once the HGV threat was removed it only left the plebs (and the Gards) to be ignored ;)

100% Blame in this instance however, to DCC and the NTA,as a blind chimpanzee would have put the Rank on the APPROACH to O Connell Bridge,along Burgh Quay,allowing far greater flexibility and safety of operation...for everybody,even those who don't use Taxis !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

ROTR are advice , not the law. Common sense says you wouldn't cross near parked cars (not that these taxis are parked of course...) but in most urban situations, you don't have a choice.

The best eight words you have used in this thread. Pedestrians should use some as well ;)

AlekSmart wrote: »

100% Blame in this instance however, to DCC and the NTA,as a blind chimpanzee would have put the Rank on the APPROACH to O Connell Bridge,along Burgh Quay,allowing far greater flexibility and safety of operation...for everybody,even those who don't use Taxis !!!!

Alek, there was a rank on Burgh Quay some years ago. It was next to useless as it had drivers sometimes requiring to swing sharp left to make for D'Olier Street, which as you will agree is a dangerous practice to attempt, let alone in traffic. It was swallowed up into providing an extra 3 spaces for cars turning right onto O'Connell Street.

The best eight words you have used in this thread. Pedestrians should use some as well ;)

ninth word after the brackets is BUT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OK specificly for Corktina...
    I'm driving along the road, the lights at a junction turn red and the car in front slows and stops, I follow,slow and stop behind him leaving a gap of 30 cm or so, the next car following me slows and stops leaving a similar gap and so on for 11 cars, are we obstructing the highway?

No Sir, 'tis you clutching at straws! My arguement has been the same from the start...
    it doesn't matter what you say, if they are parked so close together that they impede other road users (ie pedestrians et al) it's obstruction. They have a right to stop there, they don't have a an exclusive right to impede others.

To be honest, is someone ignores a pedestrian crossing a few feet away from a taxi rank and then moans that they cant cross the road because of the taxis ,should not be allowed out on their own.

ninth word after the brackets is BUT

I saw it, yes. To use your word of the day....

BUT there are far safer, more sensible, more apt places and more common sense places to cross than between parked cars or taxis anywhere :)

how many times have I said that I am talking in general and how many times have i said that many locations do not have designated crossing places?

In any case it's not "a few feet", in the case you are quoting it is up to the length of 11 cars....that's something like up to 150 feet there and 150 back...

how many times have I said that I am talking in general and how many times have i said that many locations do not have designated crossing places?

In any case it's not "a few feet", in the case you are quoting it is up to the length of 11 cars....that's something like up to 150 feet there and 150 back...

So its not about wanting to use the next taxi in line then, like the thread topic?

nope hasn't been for some while...not since that was comprehensively answered with a YES in about post 3

Case closed then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Alek, there was a rank on Burgh Quay some years ago. It was next to useless as it had drivers sometimes requiring to swing sharp left to make for D'Olier Street, which as you will agree is a dangerous practice to attempt, let alone in traffic. It was swallowed up into providing an extra 3 spaces for cars turning right onto O'Connell Street.

Remember it well,and ,of course,the NEW Bridge,makes it all untenable anyway.

However I regard the current Aston Quay setup as simply madcap,and for sure worth relocating,although I would suggest that the entire concept of the Taxi-Rank is now up for reconsideration,as it is provenly unfit for purpose in the Dublin context ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Case closed then :)

noooo....i haven't ahd the last word yet....:D

• Advertisement

noooo....i haven't ahd the last word yet....:D

Ok then, go on ;)

Advertisement